• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick Didn’t Have Any Faith In Xbox, Xbox Creator Seamus Blackley Reveals.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You're assuming he had choices, he didn't just like Phil today doesn't have choices i.e. services. No, Donny wasn't great or anything but he taking the heat for many of Microsoft's bad decision at the top levels.

Gaming isn't the only area MS fallen on its face in the consumer arena... literally they fucked over the consumer so much that they have very few pure consumer products left.

The trend start mid-2000s - Microsoft is an enterprise cloud company, everything else is barely measurable anymore... for the most part the pure consumer products have been abandoned, without Donny they probably would have shut down Xbox 10 years ago.

This is crazy misinformed but keep trying.

DanielsM

Banned
This is crazy misinformed but keep trying.
Which is why you haven't provided feedback .... keep crying.
:messenger_loudly_crying:

If you wish to engage, than provide reasonable information so a reasonable discussion can take place, hard to take you seriously if you're going to drive by and shit post.

Last edited:

pr0cs

No, Donny wasn't great or anything but he taking the heat for many of Microsoft's bad decision at the top levels.
UUh, he's supposed to since it was his responsibility seeing that that was his division. Ultimately it was him that pointed Xbox into the terribad decision to chase casuals with Kinect and TV.

literally they fucked over the consumer so much that they have very few pure consumer products left.
Receipts? Microsoft has as many consumer products now as they ever had, probably more.

without Donny they probably would have shut down Xbox 10 years ago.
Not a chance, Microsoft had a significant lead on Sony, Mattrick just squandered that lead because he saw casuals lapping up the Wii bullshit

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Which is why you haven't provided feedback .... keep crying.
:messenger_loudly_crying:

If you wish to engage, than provide reasonable information so a reasonable discussion can take place, hard to take you seriously if you're going to drive by and shit post.
Oh the irony. Care to provide any facts? If anyone was shit posting you were.

DanielsM

Banned
Oh the irony. Care to provide any facts? If anyone was shit posting you were.

There is no irony, you came in and shit posted with nothing of substance from which a discussion can take place. If you have issue provide reasonable information as to which you refer.

Strike two.

Shantae

Banned
I seriously don't understand how the world of CEOs and executives run. People like Don Mattrick don't even have to do a good job, and yet they still make a shit ton of money, and get offered other CEO jobs with other companies. Don Mattrick literally almost killed the Xbox brand with his shit, and it meant nothing to him. He just moved on to the next multi-million dollar job. I fucking hate that's how shit works.

Most of SONY too brass didn't want SONY to enter the console market as a manufacturer since they considered it a Toy sector. I would guess some didn't want Nintendo to enter the console market and just stick to making cards

DanielsM

Banned
UUh, he's supposed to since it was his responsibility seeing that that was his division. Ultimately it was him that pointed Xbox into the terribad decision to chase casuals with Kinect and TV.

Yet, the division showed good growth during his time there, at the end of the day people have to do what they are told.

Receipts? Microsoft has as many consumer products now as they ever had, probably more.
Pretty much the whole consumer products lineup.

- Windows Phone (end of life 2019)
- Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music, formerly Zune Music) RIP 2017
- Microsoft Band RIP 2016
- Games for Windows Live RIP 2014
- Xbox Kinect RIP 2017
- Cortana technically still in operation but basically abandoned in part in 2018 during Build... they are now embracing Echo
- Windows Embedded Automotive (never even heard anything since the announcement)
- Hololens is now basically enterprise device

This is like old news... like me telling you they landed on the Moon, from phones to music services to games services... Microsoft more or less ditched their consumers during the Nadella era, very few purely consumer products are left. Micosoft is more or less a cloud enterprise business.

Not a chance, Microsoft had a significant lead on Sony, Mattrick just squandered that lead because he saw casuals lapping up the Wii bullshit

The move to casual was made because they lost billions while Nintendo made money off of selling two Gamecubes duct taped together.

It was either start getting growth or Xbox goes bye bye - there was growth (not positive cash flow) in Xbox and Xbox Live and even though I don't like it hardware i.e. Kinect.

I mean, it could have gotten the axe by 2010 otherwise.

Xbox as a hardcore game experience was losing billions..... so.... Donny had to try something else or there was no Xbox... this really isn't too complicated. I'm not saying MS didn't continue to lose billions but at least Donny brought them growth - that is what the executives were looking for..... at the end of the day... MS has not shown any ability to actually make a real business out of gaming.... but its not all of Donny's fault. Donny is the escape goat.

Donny wasn't in charge of the cellphone business, why did MS bail on phones? Nadella figured out they couldn't win, no difference in what they were doing with gaming hardware.

“I voted no,” Nadella writes. “I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones unless we changed the rules … But it was too late to regain the ground we had lost. We were chasing our competitors’ taillights.”

What is Nadella trying to do in gaming, change the "rules", I doubt he does but really MS played its hand and lost.

Not sure why everyone blames Donny, Xbox probably would have been shutdown a decade ago otherwise.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Nintendo made money
Yes that's why they chased the casual market, nothing to do about losing money at all

I mean, it could have gotten the axe by 2010 otherwise.

Not a chance, they simply wanted some of that delicious casual money

... MS has not shown any ability to actually make a real business out of gaming.... but its not all of Donny's fault.
You probably need to read their financials if you really believe they aren't making money.
It's mostly his fault because he was VP at that time and put all their eggs in the casual basket alienating their core audience, refusing to invest in core games and letting Sony catch up.
The final nail in his coffin was the abysmal messaging around the Xbone at launch.

All of which Spencer had to reverse or rebrand or clarify messaging.. Which he has

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is pretty misleading, especially in the headline.

Blackley only said that Mattrick did not believe that Microsoft could pull off the *original Xbox* And in the industry, he certainly wasn't alone, nor it was a rare belief held by a minority.

This says nothing about Mattrick's attitude towards Xbox as a brand after that episode.

No, he didn't nearly sink the original Xbox (which is the one he didn't believe was possible), nor he led it. He didn't even work on it.
Hell, people still don't believe Microsoft can pull it off.

I'm just over playing on my X like...

giphy.gif

DanielsM

Banned
Yes that's why they chased the casual market, nothing to do about losing money at all

Not a chance, they simply wanted some of that delicious casual money

Exactly, they weren't making money following the hardcore gamer - this has been discussed in this forum many times.

The article was actually incorrect about them making positive cash flow, as they were hiding the loses later with Android royalties.

You probably need to read their financials if you really believe they aren't making money.

Microsoft makes money i.e. positive cash flow... gaming was a huge money loser. Not sure what your post is trying to imply, nobody is saying Microsoft doesn't have positive cash flow.... its just that gaming i.e. Xbox isn't where they make money.... its a loser.

All of which Spencer had to reverse or rebrand or clarify messaging.. Which he has

Under Spencer.... Xbox hardware sales have continuously gone down.... I'm not sure about this messaging thing... sounds like wishful thinking i.e. "services". My guess is 5-6m units which is original Xbox sales numbers on an annual basis..... I expect that to continue.

Heck, I remember when Lil Phil said they wouldn't abandon Kinect... how about that for messaging? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Heck, I remember when he said they would fix the Microsoft Store. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Its not a Donny or Phil thing.... its a Microsoft thing.... generally outside of J Allard and crew (original Xbox) its been this way in the consumer space for MS for 20 years. You guys act like I like Donny... Donny isn't the problem or wasn't the problem... Microsoft is.... they are completely fucked up in the consumer space.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There is no irony, you came in and shit posted with nothing of substance from which a discussion can take place. If you have issue provide reasonable information as to which you refer.

Strike two.

You don't have anything of substance other than opinions. If you want to debate that's one thing but walking around like you're some expert in anything is laughable.

DanielsM

Banned
You don't have anything of substance other than opinions. If you want to debate that's one thing but walking around like you're some expert in anything is laughable.

You responded to me with nonsense, nor did you specify in particular what part of my statement you believe to be incorrect.

Strike Three, I put you on my ignore list for being a crying baby troll as you don't like people talking about your toys.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Sorry but you're just plain wrong.

Have a nice life, on ignore for being a troll and not offering anything of substance from which one can respond.

You guys are quite the babies when people talk about your toys. Literally, you guys think that Xbox sold better when Donny wasn't in charge. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
05-21Mattrick_Web.jpg

So it seems Mattrick had a history with bad decisions and poor outlooks of the future. From what I understand before the Xbox reveal he really didn't pay attention and just assumed that the original Xbox One vision was the future. But it wasn't all a loss, he started the partnership with Playground games, helped reverse his own policies, and revived Killer Instinct.

of course all his long-term big titles all failed or where cancelled, and features like Smart Glass were dropped, but he's in a better place now, though with Zynga also messed up (and him resigning) not sure what record he has anymore.

He's in a better place now?

So he's finally in hell!

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Let’s dial it back on the name calling and fanatical instigations.

If you can’t debate your opinions without resorting to insults, we can assist you with threat removals.

Top Bottom