• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump is officially the only world leader that denies climate change science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Yes, including even North Korea.

References for every country at the link.

(.pdf file) Sierra Club: On The Climate Crisis, It's Donald Trump VS. The World
If elected, Trump would be the only world leader to deny the science of climate change.

Donald Trump
“Well, it’s a hoax. I think the scientists are having a lot of fun.”

North Korea
Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un Speaking on behalf of Leader Kim, North Korea’s Foreign Minister said that his government would complete a large-scale tree-planting initiative over the next decade, which will help the “national effort to mitigate climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions”. Subsequently, North Korea signed the Paris climate agreement on April 22.

Ogodei

What does his BFF putin think?

Putin's smart enough to go with the consensus publicly (especially since it lets him win point with the "fuck America" anti-imperialist crowd), but Putin-watchers i've known think that he sees climate change as a good thing since it will increase arable land and Russia will get more warm water ports without having to fire a shot.

entremet

Trump is an embarrassment, but I think Congress and the Republican Party is are more of an embarrassment here.

Why?

They actually pass the laws to make meaningful change.

But yes, Trump is an embarrassment.

God....GOD....it's like a fucking nightmare.
Isn't it?

Hoo-doo

Banned
He'll likely change his stance on this soon. He'll act like he knew it was real all along.

Embarrassment on a world stage like this is Trump's kryptonite.

Calabi

And the one that has the most effect. It really is insane, but kind of inevitable with our weak unstable systems.

Tigress

What does his BFF putin think?

From what I understand, Putin is worried about global warming.

How in the world does Trump even think it's a conspiracy when every single world leader is saying it's real. That takes some real paranoia to think that all the world leaders (who don't all like each other or agree) all got together to make up that one theory just to hurt the US (and also think that some how if it was a lie it would only hurt the US).

(Personally I think Trump doesn't disbelieve it but is just catering to the crowd that looks up to him.. anything for ego).

jmdajr

To be fair Trump probably had no position on this before he ran.

I'll have to look back because he has had every view possible on everything.

Boem

I'm reminded of Obama's defeated tone on the WTF podcast when talking about the time a snowball was held up by a senator as proof that global warming didn't exist.

Incredibly depressing.

It's also one of the countries where climate change denial is the most prevalent:

xQkNHj0l.png

Spinluck

I'm reminded of Obama's defeated tone on the WTF podcast when talking about the time a snowball was held up by a senator as proof that global warming didn't exist.

Incredibly depressing.

These people are fucking delusional and cannot be reasoned with. Unbelievable.

norm9

At least he doesn't think the world is flat, that i know of. That's pretty good for our president I think.

Blader

From what I understand, Putin is worried about global warming.

How in the world does Trump even think it's a conspiracy when every single world leader is saying it's real. That takes some real paranoia to think that all the world leaders (who don't all like each other or agree) all got together to make up that one theory just to hurt the US (and also think that some how if it was a lie it would only hurt the US).

(Personally I think Trump doesn't disbelieve it but is just catering to the crowd that looks up to him.. anything for ego).

He's never talked to or learned anything about these people until 5-6 days ago. The only thing he knows about any world leader is that Putin likes him.

It's also one of the countries where climate change denial is the most prevalent:

xQkNHj0l.png

In the US, political views supersede education. So republicans are brought up to believe global warming is a hoax because the coal industry could be hurt if they were forced under strict regulation which could cause people to lose their jobs

Haunted

Dumb people have a tendency to double down on their ignorance if they're caught out being stupid.

Let's hope cooler heads and advisers prevail and that they can get through his thick head that he is embarrassing himself and he is forced to flip-flop again soon. Having one of the key players to combat the issue going forward denying the reality of it while the rest of the world looks on in horror and fremdscham is a problem.

Blader

At least he doesn't think the world is flat, that i know of. That's pretty good for our president I think.

I would rather Trump think the Earth is flat than deny climate change.
Dumb people have a tendency to double down on their ignorance if they're caught out being stupid.

Let's hope cooler heads and advisers prevail and that they can get through his thick head that he is embarrassing himself and he is forced to flip-flop again soon. Having one of the key players to combat the issue going forward denying the reality of it while the rest of the world looks on in horror and fremdscham is a problem.

He's just surrounding himself with people who also deny it.

Goes without saying, but please everyone contact your state representatives and pressure them on climate change. I don't at all trust that Trump will do anything but damage (i.e. pulling out of the Paris agreement, etc.) and the planet is literally hanging in the balance.

I think he will change his view on this very soon or run risk looking REALLY dumb on the world stage. I mean... he can't even read well.

jmdajr

The rest of the world is going to have to lead by example because we ain't doing shit.

Don't buy our cars, natural gas, or oil.

Are there renowned democrat politicians that are climate-skeptics? Because it's kind of really, really hard not to see them as the "good guys" when republicans believe in this shit and support the other atrocities too.

Boem

Serious question, not meant to ridicule anyone: but does all of this come from a lack of proper education in the US?

I'm from the Netherlands, I went to a high school that was officially catholic (a holdover from when the school was founded in the 50s). But even though our school was catholic, religion was never thought in that way in our school. No morning prayers or anything like that (I think the vast majority of students weren't religious, like most of the country actually). What we learned about religion was only limited to a specific class, and that handled all big world religions, their history, their teachings (none of it was treated as truth, nor specifically as false either - just presenting what people of various religions believed with a ton of humanistic philosophy thrown in).

Meanwhile the actual sciences just presented science as what it is - either facts or ruling theories. The idea that concepts like climate change or evolution could be in question were completely foreign to us.

As a result I think, I never really heard anyone - either a political group or a protest group or what have you - deny climate change here, or other weird things like that. It's just not something you do.

(also, things like forbidding gay marriage aren't even a question for even the most far-right political groups as far as I know. It's just not something anyone is seemingly interested in - which in part has to do with the fact that the majority of our population isn't religious so that doesn't factor into it, and that it has been legal since 2001 (I think we were the first?), so everyone is pretty used to it by now - I was hoping that is what would happen in the US as well, but who knows at this point). Same goes for abortion etc.

The other major factor is the mix of religion and state. That's just not done here (something similar to the president saying 'God Bless America', or getting the option to swear on the bible in court would be incredibly ridiculed here). We have religious political parties (particularly a christian one), although the influence of religion there is more guided by their faith - religion isn't really a factor in choosing to vote or not vote for them.

---

What I'm trying to ask: is the level of influence of religion in education and the state too big in the US (and is that the fault of these viewpoints staying so strong in the face of actual research), and is that likely to change at all?

Edit: rereading my post I realize it may come across as me bragging about my country and making fun of Americans. Really not my intention. To make it up to you some miserable facts about my people: we have a horribly outdated and incredibly racist tradition called Zwarte Piet with too little people being able to admit that it's disgustingly racist, and we have our own Trump like 80s movie villain politician who wants to ban all muslims and who has actually said he wants to burn every copy of the Koran in the country - and he has an actual reasonably sized following - I'm so scared about the upcoming elections :( .

I hope that evens it out a bit.

geomon

Florida (especially Miami Beach) is already feeling the effects of climate change. It's indisputable at this point that it's happening, yet here we are, 2 months away from handing the keys to the most powerful nation on Earth to a B-List celebrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom