• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't look now, but PlayStations Live Service initiative is off to a killer start...

Why is no one talking about PlayStations Live Service strategy now that is has officially launched?

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We've had to endure the following narrative for the last 2 years...

1. Destruction All Stars, Knockout City and Rumbleverse failed because the Live Service segment of the market is saturated.

2. Jim Ryan is retiring. He's retiring because PlayStations Live Service initiative has failed.

3. Gamers didn't like PlayStations May 2023 Showcase which means their Live Service initiative has failed.

4. Bungie laid off 8% of their employees. They did this because PlayStations Live Service initiative has failed.

5. PlayStation has delayed 6 of their Live Service games outside of FY 2025. They did this because their Live Service initiative has failed and delayed means cancelled.

6. Naughty Dog cancelled their pre production Live Service game because the Live Service initiative has failed.

If the grass blows in any direction, games media, game message boards, and Twitter loudly interpreted it as PlayStations Live Service initiative failing.

Fast forward to today. Helldivers 2, the first of PlayStations "12 Live Service games" releases to a resounding success...

How has games media, game message boards, and Twitter reacted?

desert-tumble-weed.gif

Not only is Helldivers 2 a smash hit, but the buzz around it is unusually positive for a GAAS game. A buggy, incomplete multiplayer game with MTX is receiving near universal praise. It really makes you wonder doesn't it?

Has anyone else noticed this? What does this say about games media and human nature in general? At what point do we come to a reckoning and admit PlayStation may have read the market better than us?

(And by "us" I mean "you"- wink)

Last edited:

Zathalus

We have no idea if Helldivers 2 is a massive success or not. Having great 1 month numbers mean nothing for a GaaS, the real test is 3/6/12 months on. Can it retain a large and dedicated player base? Everyone thought Diablo 4 was a massive success and look at the reception to it now.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think the issue with their proposed live service strategy is that prospect of oversaturation. As more of these games come out, if they are actually similar or if they are large time sinks, people will naturally be less able to play them all.

Launching Helldivers at $40 I think completely saved the game. It gives the impression its a shorter, smaller game that doesn't require years of investment. It's more of an arcade co-op shooter almost in spirit, but with the GAAS roadmap.

Any live service game launching at $70 is going to face a really steep challenge convincing people to buy, like you see now with Suicide Squad. Even steeper will be convincing people to buy multiple $70 live service games.

Also our success rating is partially determined by when we decide this started. Great Web and Factions 2 were already part of that strategy after all.

Basically, it's just way to early to say much of anything. It's a mixed bag so far.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
It's the price point that matters for these types of experiences. Always did.

Warhawk was launched at $30 so this isn't some kind of new learning.

clarky

Gold Member
Game been out a week, and needs a lot of work on PC. The online side of things is shite.

Game is fun when it works though.

Robb

Gold Member
Game seems good but it just came out. Isn’t the entire point of GAAS to run over very long time and generate recurring revenue?

For all we know it’ll be dead within 6 months to a year.

Last edited:

Del_X

Good thing they're publishing successful multiplatform live services so they can afford to make big multipaltform single player experiences

RickMasters

Game seems good but it just came out. Isn’t the entire point of GAAS to run over very long time and generate recurring revenue?

For all we know it’ll be dead within 6 months to a year.
Pal world player count dropped off heavily already. I agree with you. You can’t really measure these games success on initial player count. Let’s see if it has legs first.

For me it honestly just feels like any third person shooter. It might hold my attention for about as long as exiprimal.

Which brings me to my next point….. this game should have never had an upfront price tag. I don’t always agree with David’s jaffe but I happened across his impressions of the game on YouTube. Had Sony just stuck this one in their sub day one it would probably have a much higher player count. And long term I think it would be a good idea for them to put this ( and all of destiny 2 DLC) on PSN+ as part of the sub. Had this been an Xbox gamepass game for example it would have had higher player retention over a long period of time. Sony could and should do that with helldivers 2 at some point and shift it’s focus as far as that game on expanded content and skins etc. forget the upfront fee when you can probably make more of a player in battle passes and content, over the lifespan of the game.

That’s something Sony are gonna have to get to grips with as far as GAAS. Discarding the upfront cost in favour of what you can get out of the player long term. That part will soon click in their heads anyway.

I don't think it's anti-PlayStation but it does seem like a lot of media/gamers would love nothing more to see GAAS games fail. It was pretty wild to see the collective media say the strategy was going to fail before seeing at least 1 game and before the delay news. It looks as though arrowhead was caught completely off guard hopefully they have a robust content plan.

All I know is that I’m dying to know more about Concord and Marathon.

As for Helldivers 2, it’s nice that it came out well. But it was also 8 years in the making.

Mr.Phoenix

its not ps5 exclusive
I don't think Sony intends to have any of their GAAS games be PS5 exclusive. But I think you are right. This is one of those things that will only be spoken about when or if it starts to rake in all kinds of money for sony. Until that happens, its initial success or reception doesn't really mean anything.

Was funny to read, specially after Factions' cancellation, that Sony had to go back into only AAA cinematic single player games, which is what they were good at.

And this week with Helldivers' success and the low profit margins from their financial reports people's going back to the "yea Sony needs 2-3 succesful GaaS to help funding their big AAA SP games"

Raonak

Banned
Honestly sony have a great track record of making high quality games, and helldivers, for a GAAS title, is high quality.

There will be a few stinkers, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them are bonafied successess.

Helldivers 2 is not a Sony PS5 game (it's on PS5 but not made by Sony)....and it's on PC
It's literally bankrolled by sony. It's as much a sony game as bloodborne, until dawn, death stranding, or any other "2nd party" game.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I remember OP saying the same shit about The Finals, which is more like The Forgotten right now.

you can't judge these games based on a week or two.

Lol @ the 10 votes for 'Is Helldivers 2 even that big of a hit?'

I remember OP saying the same shit about The Finals, which is more like The Forgotten right now.
I still play THE FINALS every afternoon and have no issue finding matches here in Australia. The game is fine.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We have no idea if Helldivers 2 is a massive success or not. Having great 1 month numbers mean nothing for a GaaS, the real test is 3/6/12 months on. Can it retain a large and dedicated player base? Everyone thought Diablo 4 was a massive success and look at the reception to it now.
We can all agree success boils down to amount of investment vs amount of revenue. We don't know how much the game cost vs what they brought in, but we do know that it surpassed Arrowhead Studios expectations, as well as just about everyone paying attention.

I don't see it maintaining a high player base in a month or two but suspect we will see big player spikes when there are big content drops.

Also, the discourse didn't require high quality evidence when they tried to dog PlayStations GAAS strategy. Now we do?

you can't judge these games based on a week or two.
The Finals is averaging 38k concurrent players on Steam over the last 30 days. It's more popular than Sea of Thieves on XBox right now. I suspect it's already viewed as a success by Nexon.

I only now realise it's not Men_in_Boxers :eek:
marlo-thewire.gif

One game. And I doubt it will stick around in the same way as Fortnite or whatever.
It doesn't need to. The PS5 has gotten a bunch of AA SP exclusives that have underwhelmed commercially over the last 3 years. Helldivers 2 looks to be outcompeting all of them. If that's the case, their Live Service strategy is a success.

RagnarokIV

Fuck I need the snake oil!!! 9000 dollars from this gentleman!!!

I LOVE IT!

I NEED LIVE SERVICE!!!

I NEED SCISSORS 6!!!!!!!

FUUUUCK

Top Bottom