• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forbes] Sony’s Live Service Triple-Down Is A Dangerous Road For PlayStation

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Are they? What have they announced they are making other than Spiderman, which is made by a dev they recently bought?
I rather they announce it once its near to release, not a fan of early "hype" trailers.

ryzen1

As long as Sony still doing their SP stuff I'm fine with that.
The only concerns I have is the huge number of live service games.

How is that even supposed to work? 12 live service games by 2025? Aren't they competing with themselves?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
At least they don't disappoint you in the finals.

Intimidating Season 4 GIF by The Office

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I rather they announce it once its near to release, not a fan of early "hype" trailers.

Thats the problem isn't? They did a bunch of "hype trailers" in this last showcase, so they weren't on the strategy of only showing gameplay, meaning thats what they wanted / chosen / had to show ... people are acting like they chose to upheld first party reveals and keep spilling game names and projects that have not officially been announced , and ignoring what they did announced as their current game strategy for the foreseeable future

Neofire

While Microsoft has struggled to produce first-party hits anywhere close to the scale of PlayStation, Sony itself is no longer satisfied with just selling tens of millions of copies of critically acclaimed games. They want to get into live service, and by “get into live service” I mean spend billions of dollars chasing those ongoing revenue streams.

It was a big driving force behind their purchase of Bungie, steward of one of the most successful live service games around right now, and they’ve just debuted Marathon, a PvP-only live service extraction shooter. Neither are exclusive to PlayStation, but the idea is that Sony will rake in some of that cash on all platforms.

But it’s more than that. Bungie has been tasked with teaching other Sony devs to make their own live service games. All in all, Sony has said they’re working on 12 different live service games, some known, some unknown, and that by FY2025, they will be investing 60% of their budget into live service games. This isn’t necessarily a scaling down of single player games, which will continue to be made and have the same level of cash invested, but a new surge of resources into live service.

960x0.png

To that I say…good luck.

This feels like a dangerous road for Sony. We have seen many large publishers try and fail to move into the live service space. The nature of the genre necessitates and certain level of failure, and a high one at that. There are many, many games that tried to chase Destiny and failed. Tried to chase Fortnite and failed. Tried to chase Overwatch and failed (and Overwatch itself is borderline failing now).

Sony has to understand that its near-perfect batting average with its single-player games is about to tank with a lot of inevitable live-service failures. And before this is even starting it’s…already starting. The Last of Us Factions has been delayed, without even having a release date, after a report that the game was struggling, and many developers were being taken off the project. Supposedly Bungie itself “reviewed” the game and was worried if it would engage players. It certainly seems like it’s on the road to potentially being cancelled.

And that’s Naughty Dog! Not just one of the best single player developers in the industry, but they made some legitimately good multiplayer modes for their games in the past. But a PvP-only, live service battle pass game is far different than putting a multiplayer mode in your game, and this was one of the most high profile live offerings Sony was making. Now, it’s drowning.

The only announced live service game that Sony is making I have any confidence in is Bungie’s own Marathon, partially because of Bungie’s history of great gunplay, partially because there are relatively few AAA competitors in the extraction shooter space.

960x0.png

It feels like Sony’s eyes may end up being bigger than it’s stomach here. Bungie may be able to tell other developers what’s a good or bad live service game, but it’s a rough genre that’s producing a ton of failures. A report out today cited the idea that bosses wanted Arkane to get into the live service game by totally changing their design philosophy for Redfall, meant to be a microtransaction-supported, ongoing live service co-op shooter. Now it debuted to disastrous scores and any future “live” content is in question. Similarly, everyone is looking at Rocksteady with skepticism for the exact same reason, given that they’re going from single player Arkham games to…a live co-op loot shooter with Suicide Squad that everyone looked at sideways when it debuted gameplay footage.

Sony is dominating the console space alongside Nintendo. The PS5 is on track to be one of the best-selling consoles ever. I suppose so long as there is no dramatic shift away from single player games and live service games are added that could be okay. And yet I do wonder what the entire Naughty Dog Factions team might have been able to produce otherwise had they not spent years on an extremely troubled project.

Sure, it’s possible Sony produces some live service hits. Find your own Fortnite and you can print money for a decade. But this is digging for gold in a deep, deep mine, one that may not turn up much of anything at all, and then you’re stuck in a really big hole.

I know it is Paul Tassi, but.....

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Forbes.....a broken clock is right twice a day.....👀

Not doing any GaaS would be weird in the current craze, but going almost all in on several at once and not just pursue the 2-3 best after an initial design and test phase of let's say every year concurrent 10+ wip-titles, is a bit much.
Sony's track record with MP in general is not that great. MAG, PS Allstars, Destruction Allstars, Killzone, Resistance, Dreams, Driveclub's troubles, GoW Ascension's kinda unwanted MP, Fat Princess was imho fun but did not set the world on fire and they were also dropping H1Z1, Everquest and Planetside when they didn't feel like they can squeeze or salvage them anymore. Uncharted and TLoU had decently praised MP but which MP portion of their games really attracted gamers to their plattform?

If you actually commit and get the right people it should work nevertheless, but it's a bit sudden and a bit too much betting at once. Once 1 or 2 have landed to some success, I would be more confident that they actually got the right people on the helm. But beyond Bungie they have no proven MP studios. Actually Arrowhead and Housemarque are probably their best bet for MP titles as of right now, quite niche though.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Thats the problem isn't? They did a bunch of "hype trailers" in this last showcase, so they weren't on the strategy of only showing gameplay, meaning thats what they wanted / chosen / had to show ... people are acting like they chose to upheld first party reveals and keep spilling game names and projects that have not officially been announced , and ignoring what they did announced as their current game strategy for the foreseeable future
tbf, that showcase is very underwhelming. Thats why i prefer they show any games with gameplay when the game is ready.

They don't have a choice. Like it or not live service games are a major part of the market.

Do German car manufacturers like EV? No but it's the future so they have to pivot.

Mahavastu

As long as I get those SP bangers, no problem with me.
Currently this looks like a big IF.
What is coming from Sony after Spiderman2? We know about Wolverine at an unknown date in the maybe distant future, that's it. Otherwise there is nothing announced. Currently it looks like a game drought for a while, except Sony surprises us soon with some bangers.

I hoped for something at the Showcase, but there was nothing... But this was discussed here again and again, so no need to continue discussing it even more. :pie_eyeroll:

Astray

Gold Member
People don't like any negative news. Both comp hate him, when he reports that.
Look at Jason.
With Jason I kinda understand why, he has a weird populist slant on almost everything he reports, and he has a taste for sensationalism, both can at times taint the accuracy of his reporting.

Tassi has almost none of those concerns since he's just an opinion columnist.

Last edited:
I hope Sony shits the bed with this LIVE SERVICE GAAS SHITE……..thank Jim Ryan for this. Shawn Layden saw the writing on the wall and never would have wasted time or the amazing level of talent of their devs with this trash. Sony need to keep doing what they have always done in making incredible SINGLE PLAYER NARRATIVE RICH OFFLINE GAMES that sell millions and win awards the industry over. Why would anyone want to change that is beyond me. When they sell millions as they usually do they recoup plenty of money for sequels. Jim Ryan is a fool and wasting their talent and time with this online rubbish which goes against the very core of what makes Playstation so special……..their AAA SP EXCLUSIVES.

Last edited:

Jinjo

From a business standpoint I get it that the execs want to chase that GAAS golden chest at the end of the rainbow. But if you look at the market right now and the nature of a GAAS games, there is only so many GAAS games a person can play. For myself there is only 1 that has the permanent slot, maybe I can fit a second if I give up all other games but that's not happening. I already sold my GAAS soul years ago and it is a perfect showcase it works, cause the FOMO / addiction is so real I don't see myself changing that game out for another one.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Currently this looks like a big IF.
What is coming from Sony after Spiderman2? We know about Wolverine at an unknown date in the maybe distant future, that's it. Otherwise there is nothing announced. Currently it looks like a game drought for a while, except Sony surprises us soon with some bangers.

I hoped for something at the Showcase, but there was nothing... But this was discussed here again and again, so no need to continue discussing it even more. :pie_eyeroll:

I think Sony didn't need to rush announcements and the competitor is inadequate so they can announce them when they're in a good shape to be shown and closer to their release date.

The reality is GaaS gives Sony the potential to have steady enough revenue to take bigger risks in the SP market.

Sony doesn't really have any SP hits at the level of Red Dead, Witcher, or GTA. And two of those games have live services attached.

We'll see how well Spider-Man 2 can do across PS5 and PC, but I don't think anyone expects it to hit 50 million copies, especially if it takes a year+ for it to come out on PC.

My biggest problem with Sony is that they could have better-monetized Dreams across PC and PSVR2 but instead just shuttered it and it looks like media molecule is on the brink of closure.

They have ported Sackboy Adventure and now Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart to PC instead of Bloodborne and Demon's Souls...

There is something not quite right with their decision making right now. Their PC efforts have been all over the place. Ultimately, they're very immature in their non-console departments.

They have director/senior director level positions that really need to be VP level positions. Only a year ago were they hiring a senior director for PC strategy and that job description was pretty garbage. Anyways, you need to give this person like 2-3 years before we actually see their results.

If it was me though, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls would have been top priorities with the success and popularity of Elden Ring. I would have made sure that MLB The Show was released on PC as well. Then add Dreams and GT7. Then Horizon Forbidden West and Ragnarok. Hell, I'd put Astro's Playroom on PC for free and push that to sell Dual Sense controllers on PC.

I'd go further and push for ports/remasters of PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles.

Could you imagine putting games like Legend of Dragoon on PC and play them legally with some refinements? Some of these games remastered would be pretty great AA games today. Arc the Lad 1+2? Ape Escape? Intelligent Qube?

Some manufacturers do not worry at all about trends and still improving their craftsmanship in what they are good at. Example, Nintendo.

But Jim Ryan is a fool. He doesn't know the PlayStation idiosincrasy. He will fail and waste all the advantage they have over Microsoft in single player games.

Jimbo lived comfortably while everything inherited lasted. Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet... Even God of War started while the other crew managed PlayStation.

Ofcourse he wouldn't greenlight Demon's Souls or games like that. He would put BluePoint to develop some trendy game genre and style.

Jim Ryan has literally been with PlayStation since the beginning, but keep telling yourself that he just got here.

Jim Ryan is trying to get PlayStation to grow to a level of profitability that it will get Sony out of the rut it's been in since Apple ate their lunch in the early 2000s.

Nintendo doing things the way they are, they've left a ton of money on the table. Animal Crossing would have been HUGE across PC and mobile.

The number of companies that have surpassed Nintendo in market cap despite their significantly higher quality says a lot.

Yea no. If their live service games start being successful, they are no longer obligated to make sp games. They'll just turn all their first parties slowly into live services and try to exponentially increase profits because of the very lack of risk you pointed out.

No, you read that wrong.

Live Service games are a significantly greater risk.

Put it this way, if 1 out of every 7 AAA SP games by Sony fails to break even, but 9 out of 10 Live Service games do, then Live Service games are much more risky and it makes no sense to stop making the AAA SP games that guarantee profit for what amounts to a lottery roll at a successful Live Service game.

You wouldn't quit your day job and sustained income after receiving a big paycheck to then blow that whole paycheck on lottery tickets.... it would be fiscally irresponsible.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The reality is GaaS gives Sony the potential to have steady enough revenue to take bigger risks in the SP market
Absolutely a pipe dream.
If sony GAAS would explode, they would ditch single player games alltogether. Just like every gaas company.
Rockstar? yeah, rdr2 is their only game in 10 years
Epic? forget unreal or unreal tournament. Many other companies

hyperbertha

No, you read that wrong.

Live Service games are a significantly greater risk.

Put it this way, if 1 out of every 7 AAA SP games by Sony fails to break even, but 9 out of 10 Live Service games do, then Live Service games are much more risky and it makes no sense to stop making the AAA SP games that guarantee profit for what amounts to a lottery roll at a successful Live Service game.

You wouldn't quit your day job and sustained income after receiving a big paycheck to then blow that whole paycheck on lottery tickets.... it would be fiscally irresponsible
False analogy. A live service is far more stable income than aaa games. If they have just two hit gaas, they have absolutely no more risk turning the rest into gaas.

hyperbertha

Absolutely a pipe dream.
If sony GAAS would explode, they would ditch single player games alltogether. Just like every gaas company.
Yeah, why the f would they need to keep making sp when they have guaranteed money printers? People here think these companies have some creative drive to keep making awesome sp games. The devs might, but not the suits in control.

It's Paul Tassi!

But I do sort of agree. You really have to do something special to stand out in the GAAS world. On the other hand, buying Bungie was brilliant. Glad to see that Sony is trusting them to vet the games, since they were pretty darned early with Destiny, and they have stood the test of time as well. We'll see how it all turns out over the next few years. If Sony really does keep the Single player machine rolling along with their best studios then I don't think its a loss at all.

That showcase was Sony’s first in nearly two years.

And?

They already have a shit tonne of games announced that haven't yet been released. Are we all so neurotic that if Sony doesn't show us something new in X amount of time we all collectively shit the bed and start being concerned over their overall strategic direction?

Games now take longer to make than they ever have before.

From a first party perspective, it was abysmal unless you live for Gaas games.

The focus of the SOP wasn't FP games. Clearly. It was a show mainly for their FP Live Service games, some FP-published 3rd party exclusives and to highlight some VR and big 3rd party games.

What's wrong with them deciding to do a show like that?

Is there some unwritten quota for FP games that absolutely must be filled in every State of Play or gaming conference they do?

I think some of ya'lls expectations for these game-reveal conferences are completely fucked. You set yourselves up for inevitable disappointment by not managing your own hype. Then you end up parroting entirely irrational complaints thereafter.

It needs to be made clear. Sony's job is not to baby the core gamer NeoGaf community or the fanboys with every game conference or reveal. Sony's job is to deliver high-quality games. They have been and will continue to be.

They're intentionally not announcing stuff until they're sure it will coalesce and eventually release. Unlike the opposition that announces huge games that get stuck in development hell for half a decade. I'd much rather endure a few shit conferences and a steady stream of hit games than a focus on game announcements which inevitably lead to lots of shit getting delayed, getting canned down the road, or launching as something completely different from what was first revealed.

You only need to take a step back and look at the complete slate of announced but not yet released games for PS5 from first and 3rd parties to know that there's NOTHING to worry about.

All that supposed investment and we see jack shit if it. That is the factual basis for my opinion.

There's nothing factual about this statement. They objectively showed the games their newly purchased studios are working on. The fact that you personally didn't like those reveals doesn't somehow erase those games from existence.

Again you're speaking from emotion instead of logic.

ND is still making a SP AAA game
Sucker Punch is still making a SP AAA game
SSM is still making a SP AAA game
Team Asobi is still making a SP AAA game
Insomniac is still making TWO SP AAA games
etc etc etc

Do these projects just somehow not exist because you don't know what they are in most cases?

And I said I hoped my concerns are unwarranted. I’ll happily say so if my concerns are proven wrong. Until then….they exist. If that bothers you then sorry, but there is nothing I can do about that.

It bothers me yes that folks make threads about concerns that are not based on reality. It's like, what? Do you need NeoGaf to come and reassure you? Or are you just looking for validation?

If there was actually something meaningful to be concerned about, I'd be right there behind you. But most of the concerns in this thread are either people letting irrational fear consume them, trolls trying to spread FUD, or people having drunk the troll kool-aid.

Again, I ask you, Topher Topher , since you're normally a very rational poster, what is the risk or issue for Sony with these Live Service games? If they fail, Sony will just default to what they've always done and you and the rest of us will be non-the-wiser?

If you really dislike Live Service stuff you should be rooting for these twelve games to fail. So Sony will pivot and revert back to a focus on more traditional AAA SP games.

Outside of the risk of Sony losing money, I really don't see the risks that you seem to be concerned about.

Last edited:
False analogy. A live service is far more stable income than aaa games. If they have just two hit gaas, they have absolutely no more risk turning the rest into gaas.
Not at all.

Look at the sheer number of attempts at Live Service games that utterly failed. That's not at all a level of risk even close to Sony shipping a new Uncharted or GOW game.

You're not even being sensible with this take.

Topher

Gold Member
And?

They already have a shit tonne of games announced that haven't yet been released. Are we all so neurotic that if Sony doesn't show us something new in X amount of time we all collectively shit the bed and start being concerned over their overall strategic direction?

Games now take longer to make than they ever have before.

The focus of the SOP wasn't FP games. Clearly. It was a show mainly for their FP Live Service games, some FP-published 3rd party exclusives and to highlight some VR and big 3rd party games.

What's wrong with them deciding to do a show like that?

Is there some unwritten quota for FP games that absolutely must be filled in every State of Play or gaming conference they do?

I think some of ya'lls expectations for these game-reveal conferences are completely fucked. You set yourselves up for inevitable disappointment by not managing your own hype. Then you end up parroting entirely irrational complaints thereafter.

It needs to be made clear. Sony's job is not to baby the core gamer NeoGaf community or the fanboys with every game conference or reveal. Sony's job is to deliver high-quality games. They have been and will continue to be.

You only need to take a step back and look at the complete slate of announced but not yet released games for PS5 from first and 3rd parties to know that there's NOTHING to worry about.

There's nothing factual about this statement. They objectively showed the games their newly purchased studios are working on. The fact that you personally didn't like those reveals doesn't somehow erase those games from existence.

Again you're speaking from emotion instead of logic.

ND is still making a SP AAA game
Sucker Punch is still making a SP AAA game
SSM is still making a SP AAA game
Team Asobi is still making a SP AAA game
Insomniac is still making TWO SP AAA games
etc etc etc

Do these projects just somehow not exist because you don't know what they are in most cases?

It bothers me yes that folks make threads about concerns that are not based on reality. It's like, what? Do you need NeoGaf to come and reassure you? Or are you just looking for validation?

If there was actually something meaningful to be concerned about, I'd be right there behind you. But most of the concerns in this thread are either people letting irrational fear consume them, trolls trying to spread FUD, or people having drunk the troll kool-aid.

Again, I ask you, Topher Topher , since you're normally a very rational poster, what is the risk or issue for Sony with these Live Service games? If they fail, Sony will just default to what they've always done and you and the rest of us will be non-the-wiser?

If you really dislike Live Service stuff you should be rooting for these twelve games to fail. So Sony will pivot and revert back to a focus on more traditional AAA SP games.

Outside of the risk of Sony losing money, I really don't see the risks that you seem to be concerned about.

edit: We won't see eye to eye on this. I'm just going to drop it.

Last edited:
Absolutely a pipe dream.

Yeah, because they aren't spending their biggest budget ever on GTA6...

When were Unreal or Unreal Tournament big SP games?

Terrible examples.

FF14 is a big MMORPG, but does that mean Square Enix isn't putting tremendous resources into FF16?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, because they aren't spending their biggest budget ever on GTA6...

Terrible examples.

FF14 is a big MMORPG, but does that mean Square Enix isn't putting tremendous resources into FF16?
Maybe not the best examples but gaas is 1000% killing sp games.
We used to have new gta every 2-3 years. With other rockstar games inbetween.
Now they prep for it like if it was the last game ever to be made.

Clearly gaas is killing creativity

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Multiplayer games don't have to be GaaS. So even if Unreal Tournament is Multiplayer it's still not GaaS. Moreover, Fortnite's success has lead Epic to direct their efforts entirely to that, and UE5. Maybe Rocket League, but everything else is dead to them. The infinite money glitch seems to have worked in their favor

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Multiplayer games don't have to be GaaS. So even if Unreal Tournament is Multiplayer it's still not GaaS. Moreover, Fortnite's success has lead Epic to direct their efforts entirely to that, and UE5. Maybe Rocket League, but everything else is dead to them. The infinite money glitch seems to have worked in their favor
Exactly. Now if MP game is not working like drugs, it will not exist

Right, but look at Bungie.

Destiny 2 has been a pretty big cash cow for them (not on the level of Fortnite) but they're still branching out and making Marathon.

Just because a company makes one hit Live Service game, doesn't mean they'll drop everything else and focus only on that.

And even less so for Sony, who already makes a shit ton of money making SP games having cultivated some of the most popular SP franchises of all time. They can and will continue to do both and they will multiply their income doing so... because that's what shareholders want, i.e. growth, a diversified product portfolio to lower overall commercial risk and steady reliable revenue streams.

Last edited:
I think Sony didn't need to rush announcements and the competitor is inadequate so they can announce them when they're in a good shape to be shown and closer to their release date.
I don't think that's the reason so many first-party games that are in-development were absent. Otherwise, why reveal that a Wolverine game is being made back in 2021 when it seems it won't be out until approximately 2025?

Yeah but the premise was this would take away specifically from SP games.

The last UT came out in 2014 and before that 2007...

Fortnite didn't come out until 2017... The idea that Fortnite foreclosed on Unreal Tournament/Unreal is ridiculous.

Maybe not the best examples but gaas is 1000% killing sp games.
We used to have new gta every 2-3 years. With other rockstar games inbetween.
Now they prep for it like if it was the last game ever to be made.

Clearly gaas is killing creativity

You're coming to a conclusion without facts to add up to it.

GTA games are taking longer because of the resources that it takes to create them.

They're much bigger games with far greater detail.

Red Dead Redemption is similarly a much larger game.

It's large SP games that are reducing the number or SP games, not GaaS.

We just got a Jedi Fallen Order sequel 4 years later.

Spider-Man 2 is coming 5 years later.

God of War Ragnarok 4 years later.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're coming to a conclusion without facts to add up to it.

GTA games are taking longer because of the resources that it takes to create them.

They're much bigger games with far greater detail.

Red Dead Redemption is similarly a much larger game.

It's large SP games that are reducing the number or SP games, not GaaS.

We just got a Jedi Fallen Order sequel 4 years later.

Spider-Man 2 is coming 5 years later.

God of War Ragnarok 4 years later.
No. Gta 4 too 3 years to make. There is no reason for gta 6 to take 10 years. cmon
Much bigger? I doubt so. Gta 5 is worse than 4 in my opinion.

These are great single player game but not 10 years good. These 4+ years dev cycles are absolutely insane.

We had gta 4 done for 100mil in 3-3,5 moths and it was the biggest, most advanced crazy game at the time. Now you can't do shit in 3 years

yurinka

Why do you think GaaS are generally way more expensive? Most of them got no high end graphics, no motion capturing, no actors, no big story, no cinematics, not much voice acting. All this is among the most expensive stuff in video game making.

Many GaaS are even f2p. If they would be even nearly as expensive as God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU or other AAA stuff there is no way they could be f2p. For example i've read that Fortnite was just a few 100k.
I know that AAA GaaS are way more expensive than non-GaaS AAA games because I worked several years on GaaS F2P for a major publisher.
  • Them (this applies for MP games, not only GaaS) not having high end graphics it's to ensure the game can run and perform well while playing multiplayer in a wider range of hardware specs, specially in PC, because the big majority of players don't have high end hardware
  • Regarding no motion capturing, no actors, no big story, no cinematics, not much voice acting depends on the genre or being AAA or not, it isn't related to being GaaS or not. In AAA comparing GaaS vs non-GaaS the difference is that GaaS has way more content -including story, actors, cinematics, voice acting etc- for post launch stuff. GaaS in this area for games like GTA Online, Rainbow Six, Apex Legends, Genshin Impact, Fortnite etc. means several extra years of work after launch for post launch content
  • GaaS are often MP and track a ton of analytics to detect bugs and rebalance the gameplay, retention and monetization plus due to their post launch content the games last for way longer, so means more years of server costs and a dedicated team of people to handle all this both to develop it and to monitor and analyze it
  • In case of F2P there are way more players, so this means way more server costs
  • The marketing campain of GaaS doesn't stop when releasing the game, keeps active across all its post launch life to continue throwing there more players, so the marketing costs is way bigger in GaaS
  • AAA GaaS, and particularly F2P, have in addition to all the work required for a non-GaaS AAA game, teams for designing and tweaking the economy, engagement, retention, monetization, user acquisition and several other areas like a strong focus in the community management and customer support areas to track and gauge player opinions, complains, suggestions etc. to further improve the game

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They are still making the games that have propelled them and if none of these life service games hit, they can adjust.

Nobody on planet Earth has managed to do both in a smooth and reasonable way. You think Playstation will be the first?

These weird concerns are nothing but strange. Why can't Sony do both? Have they suddenly dropped the ball on SP games? No. Unless their SP games suffer in quality because of this then there's no need to worry.

They aren't weird concerns. These concerns are 100% valid. Most of the heavy hitters and medium sized teams have failed a GAAS games. Why would Sony be any different? And we don't know if they've dropped the ball on SP games, because Jim Ryan refuses to allow his devs to talk about ANYTHING they are doing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think that's the reason so many first-party games that are in-development were absent. Otherwise, why reveal that a Wolverine game is being made back in 2021 when it seems it won't be out until approximately 2025?
This is Insomniac we're talking about. Wolverine will be out next year.

And if it's 2025, they will probably drop a smaller Venom/Carnage ala Miles Morales next year, lol.

Kokoloko85

Its the time for the weekly Forbes or Bloomberg negative Sony Article. I see MS is investing poorly as usual in shill tactics

Lunarorbit

Foam Allstars is getting good press so maybe I'll have to eat my words. I'm hoping the sop was just the opportunity to unveil these gaas and we'll get another show in a couple months.

Alebrije

Its a risk they have to take , Sony cant wait specially if Xbox gets Activision.

And honestly it does need to be the next Fortnite or a Call of duty...just a GAAS that keeps a decent population. My bet is that Sony will be happy if just 2 of their next GAAS projects become mainstream...

Jen_yakzua

Its funny. People were 'concerned' few years ago that MS was going to go in deep with the GAAS strategy to get people to subscribe to game pass long term. Turns out it was Sony who announces shits like Fairgame$, Concord and Marathon.
What both are doing the gaas strategy Sony just doesn't have the ability to buy their gaas they have to do the small Investment route

Top Bottom