• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II: No overhead view on PC, no toolset, audience is on consoles

Wiktor

A Black Falcon said:
I said that because computer technology is improving so fast, game budgets are similarly increasing over time. Team sizes are increasing over time too. All costs are increasing over time. So comparing the amount of money spent on a game in 1994 to one in 2010 is insane because the 1994 game had much lower costs involved in its development, irregardless of inflation..
Not really. I'm not comparing them to 1994, I'm comparing them to 2000 ones and I don't see why I should expect budget of niche games to rise as much as those for more mainstram types. Especially since those types of games never were about pushing the boundaries of what can be done with graphics anyway, so there need for budget growth is much more limited than in action games. Similiarly to how it happened in movies. Obviously budget for small dramas did grew, but not anywhere near as much as they did for blockbusters filled with insane special effects.

I just don't understand why do you assume every segment of the market has to grow exactly at same rate in both popularity and resources being spent on projects to not be considered as "having a problem"

A Black Falcon said:
That is not true in movies, where moviemaking tech hasn't changed in many decades. Any comparison to movies is absolutely invalid. Because of the speed of technological change, gaming is very different from things like music or movies.
Disagree. We are now in place when you can create successful games with the same tech and budgets that were standard 5 years ago. The technological advacement still happens, but in reality it no longer exist for the whole spectrum of the games. People don't expect it from all their games and neither does the market. Games have gotten to the point where they are "pretty enough" and while there still are titles that do push the boundaries of what's possible (just like the same thing happens in movies ie..Avatar for example), the audience no longer requires every game to be like that (same as with movies as shown by existence of low budget flicks)

A Black Falcon said:
So, if a niche game today has a larger absolute dollar amount budget than a game 15 years ago, that says nothing about whether it's a larger-scale production. You need to take into account the time it was developed in as well. .
you need to stop imagining those titles ever were "large scale productions". THey never were, they always were niche and always were small productions by any rational means. They just stayed that way and continued to grow inside their own niche, while we also have gotten pc titles that managed to grow out of their own niche and became mainstream. But just because other games didn't achieve that doesn't mean they are in sorry state They are doing better than they were 10 years ago and that's a simple fact. The only difference between us is that I'm satisfied with just that, while you think they didn't grow anywhere enough.

Fredescu

Ventrue said:
You know a thread is in trouble when you see a ton of teeny little quote boxes like that.
There's a term for that isn't there? It was named after some guy who used to do it a lot on Usenet and it became a common term for lots of little quote boxes. Can't for the life of me remember what it is though.

thefil

AdrianWerner, somehow over the last few days I've managed to keep running into your posts. I think I'm turning into your biggest fan. :lol

kyo_daikun said:
So.......... who's looking forward to killing more dark spawn?

Me. The first one was far from perfect but I really, really enjoyed it. I haven't liked the changes they've announced so far but I figure Bioware deserves the benefit of the doubt I little bit so I'm waiting til I see some final gameplay footage of the PC version or read some indepth hands on reports before I start reaching for the torches and pitchforks.

Ventrue said:
You know a thread is in trouble when you see a ton of teeny little quote boxes like that.

It's so true, its like you know the thread has devolved into 2 people haveing a mud fight and everyone else has abandoned it for fear of getting dirty.

I applaud the decision to remove the overhead view because it hurt the focus of the first game.

I’d rather have an RPG build around just one camera view than a game with a graphically underwhelming third person view and an overhead view that doesn’t fit with the enemy AI distance or item visibility.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
M°°nblade said:
I applaud the decision to remove the overhead view because it hurt the focus of the first game.

I’d rather have an RPG build around just one camera view than a game with a graphically underwhelming third person view and an overhead view that doesn’t fit with the enemy AI distance or item visibility.
How did the overhead view not fit with the focus of the game? And not fitting with the enemy AI distance and item visibility? What game did you play?

water_wendi said:
How did the overhead view not fit with the focus of the game? And not fitting with the enemy AI distance and item visibility? What game did you play?
Something very unoptimised.

In third person view you saw low quality assets and a very short draw distance because the engine was intended for traditional Baldur's gate cameraview.

While in overhead view you got surprise attacks left and right because the enemy could see you first. I also missed some important items and chests just because I could barely see them between the debris and the walls.

Mudkips

Banned
M°°nblade said:

In third person view you saw low quality assets and a very short draw distance because the engine was intended for traditional Baldur's gate cameraview.

While in overhead view you got surprise attacks left and right because the enemy could see you first. I also missed some important items and chests just because I could barely see them between the debris and the walls.

Please stop lying.
Nothing you said is true.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
M°°nblade said:

Low quality assets? The game looked pretty damn good on the PC (the only one with an overhead view option). Sure it may not be the most beautiful game, but it the textures still looked pretty good up close.

What are you talking about with the surprise attack stuff? I switched between the two views constantly through my game and I never encountered such issues. I never had problems spotting chests or other objects, but if you are, why not just hit the tab button?

Did you even play the game on the PC?

M°°nblade said:

No, encounters would be triggered when enemies weren't in LOS but those enemies didn't actually notice you at times...IE- the game paused for battle but the enemies weren't attacking or running towards you, you'd still have to attack them to intiate combat.

I thought the visuals could've probably been a bit better but that had nothing to do with the overhead view as much as it had to do with having to port this game onto consoles.

Yasae

Banned
DennisK4 said:
How many times..... *sigh*

Bioware said it sold more than expected on PC. MORE THAN EXPECTED.

PC sales was not :| they were great. Do people even care if what they post is even remotely in concordance with the information that is out there.
Right, that's what BioWare said. What did their overlords say?

Mr_Zombie

M°°nblade said:
I also missed some important items and chests just because I could barely see them between the debris and the walls.

Tab button is your friend. While keeping it pressed, you won't miss anything.

Enosh

Dragon Age 2 will be at the Gamescom convention with a hands on playable demo on both the PC and Xbox 360. Gamescom runs August 19-22 in Cologne Germany and we want you to come out, play the game, get a free inflatable sword and experience Dragon Age 2 at the EA booth at Gamescom! Hope to see you there.
from facebook

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. Anyone going to Gamescom? Can't wait to read some impressions of the PC version.

Zefah said:
What are you talking about with the surprise attack stuff? I switched between the two views constantly through my game and I never encountered such issues. I never had problems spotting chests or other objects, but if you are, why not just hit the tab button?

Did you even play the game on the PC?
If I didn't find the constant camera switching and tab pressing bothersome I wouldn't be complaining about it, would I?

Top Bottom