• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Veilguard Announced | Full reveal on June 11th

LordCBH

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

It will be more modern Bioware garbage.

Pigenator

Showing gameplay for the 1st time more than 2 years after announcement.
This industry is really insufferable at times (not to mention the obvious Microsoft shit way of announcing with logos 10 seconds after a game has been greenlit)

Excited! I never finished it but spent a lot of time in Inquisition. I hope this delivers for all the die-hard DA fans. I’m cautiously optimistic.

This is why Nintendo went with the third week of June last year for their “E3” June Direct. All of these dozen or so events of various shapes and sizes spill over from this weekend into next week. And if they hold off til the week after, they have the entire week to themselves.

Last edited:

Merkades

So my two main thoughts are 1) I am thirty odd hours into my second play through of DAI and I would not say characters are a strong point, but new Bioware so maybe they will be this time (pressing "x" something fierce)?

2) My biggest annoyance with Mass Effect 2 was what they just described, they took the focus off the super interesting galactic threat (the reapers) and moved it to the much less interesting teammates.

I guess a third one would be that this new Bioware sure hasn't proved much with their last few games... Though, tbf, Bioware has *always* been massively overrated.

Raven117

Gold Member
I mean, I hope its good. But the "magic" of Bioware has been absent for over a decade.

Guess we will find out.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I mean, I hope its good. But the "magic" of Bioware has been absent for over a decade.

Guess we will find out.
Yeah, op just updated first post
(Edit: Sorry for wrong quote, it was supposed to be post below)

• First official 15 minute gameplay premiere on June 11
  • 7 unique companions with "deep and compelling storylines"
  • New title better reflects the story's group of companions; Solas (ie. Dreadwolf) still plays a big role
  • Players will take on the role of an original protagonist, similar to The Warden, Hawke, and The Inquisitor
  • You and your companions make up the Veilguard, protecting the Veil and taking down a "new evil threat unleashed upon Thedas"
  • Player agency is very important, created a story where you can impact the world and companions around you
  • Each companion intended to represent different factions in the game; have their own arcs with "stories of love and loss, each with meaningful choices and emotional moments" * Players will visit more regions of Thedas "across a deeper variety of biomes than any Dragon Age before it"
  • Tease another villain beyond Solas: "I don’t want to get too deep into spoiler territory but I can say that the Dread Wolf is not the only god players need to be worried about"
  • Combat was a "big focus" for the team, will feature an ability wheel that you can use to pause, designed to give players more direct control over their characters
  • Players can bring two companions along (similar to Mass Effect)

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
Tbh reading that IGN article gives me even less hope. This game was definitely in dev hell, went through several iterations, once was a multiplayer gaas game too. To salvage all the good parts and make a good game out of it, it takes a really talented and focused dev team and im not sure current Bioware is capable of doing such a thing

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Reminds me that I need to play the DA:Inquisition Trespasser dlc before this comes out. I'm hopeful for this.

We'll see, one must expect this is Bioware's last kick at the can to see if they can recapture any of what made their older catalogue special. I have my doubts but will withhold judgment until after this 15 mins of gameplay. Must be coming this fall if they're showing off so much (barring any delays).

Raven117

Gold Member
Agreed, I've read some past leaks about it and still feel unsure about it

Apologies again for a wrong quote, misclick
No worries. Guess we will just see how it turns out. I like me some Dragon Age, but man...its been 10 years since even Inquisition. (Gawd....I'm old).

Luipadre

Gold Member
We'll see, one must expect this is Bioware's last kick at the can to see if they can recapture any of what made their older catalogue special. I have my doubts but will withhold judgment until after this 15 mins of gameplay. Must be coming this fall if they're showing off so much (barring any delays).

I wouldnt be in the shoes of a bioware employee next week. People will gonna put that video under a microscope

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It’s at a time. Not that there are only 2 in the game
I think it's pretty understandable that I was referring about party size. You previously could take 3 companions with you so it's rather noticeable change
Whew!

Okay, I just read the sentence as "two companions" in total and I don't really go out of my way to collect the info. I either get it from here or some random "preview" video on yt.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Whew!

Okay, I just read the sentence as "two companions" in total and I don't really go out of my way to collect the info. I either get it from here or some random "preview" video on yt.
I edited that post just in case, but yeah, 2 party members in a party + main protagonist and 7 companions total. Past games had 3 party members in a party + main protagonist and 9-10 companions total

SJRB

Gold Member
Imagine going from “Dreadwolf” which sounds metal as fuck to “Veilguard”, lmao.

0a2293ef-0c2b-4f8f-adb8-03526d013a7e_text.gif

It will be as competent as Elex 2 or The Tecnomancer (systems and gameplay wise) but it will look much better than those.
I am in on day one simply because I enjoyed DA:I so much, but given all the dev strife I am tempering my expectations for now (which doesn't matter since they will already have my money probably multiple times if I am honest).
Hey now, I don't know about Elex 2 (only tried the first) but Technomancer was awesome and a much maligned hidden gem, that is underrated. It felt like classic bioware and had a great world and story.
I don't expect new bioware to even come close to the technomancer game. I expect it to be woke shit fest built for "modern audiences".

Hudo

Hey now, I don't know about Elex 2 (only tried the first) but Technomancer was awesome and a much maligned hidden gem, that is underrated. It felt like classic bioware and had a great world and story.
I don't expect new bioware to even come close to the technomancer game. I expect it to be woke shit fest built for "modern audiences".
I think the games by Spiders in general are underrated. You can usually always see that they are made under a tight budget but they've got some good ambitions and solid ideas. I am actually interested in how Greedfall 2 turns out.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It wasn't a criticism on the story or world, more of a comment on the amount of bugs I ran into while playing through it. I really enjoyed elex, elex 2, and technomaster. I would be THRILLED if we got that level of story, but I am more than happy to settle for that level of gameplay.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Probably the knife that kills what the doctors built.

There was a dream once of rich stories and characters.....now that dream is dead.

Stafford

Bro, I want to look forward to this but with the bullshit about the game director I'm just super wary. Not only that, when was the last time Bioware made a truly great game?

And even if the gameplay looks awesome next week, there's no telling what the story will be like. Please just tell a great story, have interesting characters and especially let it be you know......FUN.

Top Bottom