• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Bitanator

Man, seeing so many people down on 7 is killing me.

Knowing how much that game affected me with its story and how much fun I had last year playing it, to hear people call it terrible or a downward slope in Dragon Quest, it hurts, I'd rank it as my third favorite DQ game.

Gloam

Sad times for sure.

I've been playing DQ8 on the train to and home from work. Just met Red for the first time. It's been a long time since I've played the game properly, I'd forgotten some of the stories that come up. It's nice to have this deja-vu feeling with them, thinking 'Oh yeah, the sad king' and then remembering where I was and what I was doing at the time. It's kinda double-edged nostalgia.

I'm really liking the quality of life improvements to the game as well. Saving all over the place is a great feature. Faster battles are welcome as well.

If I remember right there are more unique costumes in this game than the previous versions? Are they easy to get or is it post-game stuff?

Hero: combo either Swords + Courage or Spears + Boomerangs.
Yangus: Axes + either Fisticuffs or Humanity
Jessica: No bad builds really. Swords + Whips for physical damage, Staves + Sex Appeal for a pure caster. I have never found Thin Air to be better than the Gringham Whip, but Fisticuffs is supposed to be good on her as well.
Angelo: Either Swords or Bows + Staves, he's your main healer and a nice trash sweeper with high MP and an item with MP regen.

Red & Morrie I have not used yet, despite obtaining them.

Note this only covers the first 200 points, each character gets 350 through leveling alone, so don't feel bad about "wasting" points. There are also items that can give extra skill points, so you can theoretically learn everything if you have the patience.

Thanks! Is fisticuffs good for Yangus?

I don't think its a horrible game but the flaws are extremely obvious. The story takes dozens of hours to get anywhere even relatively interesting. The characters aren't very deep or well developed and it takes more then 30 hours to even get to the final party member. The job system takes 20+ hours to unlock and is extremely bare bones with many 'filler' jobs that you never need or want to take besides as a prerequisite for another, better class. The world has interesting moments but a lot of downtime and time spent doing the same thing over and over again (go to village, talk to everyone, go to dungeon and/or complete random task, village is saved, leave.) without ever getting a clear picture of the story until near the very end of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the 100+ hours I put into DQ7 and I'm glad I played it but after finishing it I looked at it and instantly thought 'I'll never want to replay this game ever again' for many of the issues I mentioned above. DQ8 isn't perfect and has its own faults but it infinitely a much better game then 7 is, imo.

GeekyDad

Been a long time since there's been a game I can't wait to play when I wake up and think about when I'm going to sleep. The game's got some minor issues, but man, I'm still really, really loving it.

Gloam

DQ7 is kind of like the video game equivalent of a good friend who over stays their welcome.

It's more like a friendship. You put the time in, you have good times with one another and build memories around your experiences. I really enjoyed the short story collection format of DQ7. To me, it was a friend that kept surprising me.

GeekyDad

So much discussion about DQ7 here. Definitely a worthy comparison, but I didn't feel the game overstayed its welcome, and honestly, I thought it was a great game. I just didn't like it. Granted, there were some archaic mechanics that annoyed me, but for the most part, the game seems to hold up just fine. I was just really bored with it, really left cold with its story, and most of all its pacing was just so off for me. I can see its appeal, though. I may find a time where I go back to it and really mine it for all it's worth, but man, it was a slog for me like it was for many others. Reaching the abbey and getting vocations was so anticlimactic. It's an interesting part of the series, no doubt.

AEREC

enjoying the game somewhat but Im 6ish hours in (just got to Abbey Ruins) and aside from two Boss types fights combat has mainly consisted of just tapping the A button to just do normal attacks on all the enemies. It's getting pretty mundane and mind numbing.

Is this what old turn based JRPGS are supposed to be like?

enjoying the game somewhat but Im 6ish hours in (just got to Abbey Ruins) and aside from two Boss types fights combat has mainly consisted of just tapping the A button to just do normal attacks on all the enemies. It's getting pretty mundane and mind numbing.

Well yeah, for the first handful of hours until you get to the harder stuff.

I think the 3DS version nuked the difficulty with certain things. My run has been significantly easier this time around, than it was on ps2.

Anoxida

As long as you don't try and over level yourself then there's plenty of skills/spells you need to use to advance. There'll be bosses that will most likely own your ass which makes you want to rethink what you're doing. With that said, yes, one of the downsides of turn based combat is that a lot of the normal mobs aren't very engaging.

I do like turn based combat but I would love to see a game try and do less fighting but having every fight be a challenge. Doubt that is commercially smart though.

flowsnake

At least turn on the AI to automate the more trivial battles. That doesn't make them not trivial, but at least makes them more tolerable.

Anoxida

At least turn on the AI to automate the more trivial battles. That doesn't make them not trivial, but at least makes them more tolerable.

Like you said that doesn't make it right. I think this is about the only complaint I have of this game. I love it but shit I probably spend 20 hours during a play through just waiting for the AI to do it's thing. Can't say it feels that rewarding.

redcrayon

As long as you don't try and over level yourself then there's plenty of skills/spells you need to use to advance. There'll be bosses that will most likely own your ass which makes you want to rethink what you're doing. With that said, yes, one of the downsides of turn based combat is that a lot of the normal mobs aren't very engaging.

I do like turn based combat but I would love to see a game try and do less fighting but having every fight be a challenge. Doubt that is commercially smart though.
For turn-based combat where you can't get away with that, SMT or Etrian Odyssey are good bets. EO has you normally a couple of bad rounds away from a party wipe for the first few areas.

7 sold poorly during rhe PSX era too. Doesn't surprise it also sold poorly in the 3DS and people got bored of it. Unless you're a truly hardcore DQ fan moreso than just a JRPG fan, DQVII won't be accepted by the masses sadly :(
What? Dragon Quest VII sold more than 4 million copies. It was the highest selling PlayStation game in Japan. It was just the rest of the world that didn't get it.

I did play it on PSX. I bought it for a high price year's after it came out because I hadn't even known it existed. I loved it. I still love it. I just don't remember it getting any marketing at the time so it's understandable that the west doesn't have nostalgia for it.

Anoxida

For turn-based combat where you can't get away with that, SMT or Etrian Odyssey are good bets. EO has you normally a couple of bad rounds away from a party wipe for the first few areas.

They're better, sure. And I can't say I have played all of them.. but usually normal encounters end up being trivial sooner or later even in those cases.

Thanks! Is fisticuffs good for Yangus?
It is supposed to be, but I usually throw him 70 points in Scythe for the Stealing capabilities.

It is worth noting that you get a second character who can steal in this remake though, so I'd choose one or the other unless you're interested in attempting to complete the Item and Alchemy lists.

I think the 3DS version nuked the difficulty with certain things. My run has been significantly easier this time around, than it was on ps2.

There's a certain amount of RNG involved. Some bosses have been very tough for me this time due to them spamming awful attacks.

Yeah I really have no idea what people mean when they say the difficulty has been nerfed. I haven't noticed that at all. It's roughly about the same as when I played it on PS2 and mobile.

Now I have Red in my party but can't figure out who should get the boot. -_- Aiming for Morrie later on but the Monster Arena is such RNG hell...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

You should try Bravely Second.

epmode

About alchemy; are all the recipes available in game, or do you have to guess at some of them?

I'm pretty sure you have to guess at some of them. The game makes it easier by only allowing you to combine valid items.

I can't remember if any items require a 100% blind guess though. There are a bunch of combinations that have in-game hints but no explicit recipe.

Reknoc

Speaking of Alchemy; the recipes you find seem a lot more straight forward than they were in the original. Like, iirc the stone hardhat (Stone Axe + Pointy Hat) was Stone Axe + something pointy in the PS2 version but it just straight up tells you the items in the 3DS version.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Guys...

They got rid of the super saiyan hair when you hit 100 tension.

WHHYYYYYYYYY

Linkura

Here's a question (and probably not the one you're expecting) for the hardcore lore nerds in regards to a character from Argonia:

Is it ever explained in the game why Prince Charmles is named "Damon" in battle? Is the Royal Family of Argonia one of those where you have a dozen names just for being born? I read all the books and talked to everybody in the town and castle when I arrived and I don't remember it being mentioned.

I just got done with the Arcadia leg. On to a land of ice and snow when I wake.

Another fuckup I found with a character's name in battle. Warning: MAJOR SPOILERS from near the end of the game w/new content:
In the battle against Juggerwroth, Marcello is called "Othello." LOLWUT

entremet

I'm loving this game. So much memories and so many improvements!

Portable.

Faster Battles.

No random battles.

Instant Alchemy Pot.

One weird thing. Why is equipping stuff so wonky. I can't figure it out it in the Equip menu.

I only know how to equip when I buy stuff.

Ediit: I figured out. I needed to put the items in the bag of the user. Very wacky interface.

Guys...

They got rid of the super saiyan hair when you hit 100 tension.

WHHYYYYYYYYY

What?! Freaking Funimation Tori shenanigans!

Shouta

My copy from Amazon went MIA on its way to me, oof. They're sending me another copy at least but man, it's gonna suck if it shows up on Monday as well.

AmyS

Woohoo, got mine last week but haven't been able to play until tonight.

zmS7Xp4.jpg

The Super Saiyan hair wasn't got rid off , it was introduced in the US version of the PS2 Game, the 3DS version was based on the Japanese version, and the English team didn't reintroduce it again.

Chris R

Any can't miss skills for each character? Already further in one night with the DS cart than I ever got with the game on PS2 lol.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
That was something added to the western PS2 version. It was never in the Japanese versions. They just didn't add it back for this.

That's so...odd.

Why did they even add that in the first place lol

Linkura

Don't know where it is, but it can be reached before finishing the game.

Also there is a Dhoulmagus cutscene if you go to Kalderasha after the events in Farebury.

Go to Neos. I did it before beating the game myself. Not very difficult.

Just beat the final boss (of the main game, not post-game). I'm low 40s and I thought he would be a pushover. Not so with the massive buffs they gave him. It was quite a fight and I thought I might lose at a couple points. Damn. Hope they didn't buff the post-game bosses because those were already ridiculous.

On to the post game.

That was something added to the western PS2 version. It was never in the Japanese versions. They just didn't add it back for this.

If the 3DS version was based on the Android/iOS game, then it makes sense too considering that mobile version didn't have SS hair.

That's so...odd.

Why did they even add that in the first place lol

Likely to milk that Dragon Ball Z cash cow considering the art style.

well, i may not have the the right to participate in this thread as i'm not going to play 3DS version, but can't leave this thread without a post ...

it was my first DQ game i ever played back in 2005 , what helped me to play it was its development by LEVEL-5, and it was quite a journey, but i've to admit that i was kinda noob back then.... but honestly , if L5 wasn't involved, i doubt if i was thinking of playing it.

later on, on 2012 , i decided to start from the roots of the series and play some of the releases , i started with DQIII , to find myself hooked up and played the wholes series.

as for DQVIII , i replayed it on june 2013 , it took me 3 months to fully beat it -LOL but what to do, the older you get, the harder to maintain free time-

i can say the i beat the game by %99 as i didnt max out the levels, otherwise everything is complete

this is the main story completion:

IIQ6Wsk.jpg
this is after the
extra chapter
:

7iY6LO7.jpg

i believe i should talk more bout my experience here, but actually om playing DQVII as it's a full remake of PSX version that i beat for the first time back on 2014

enjoy y'all

Top Bottom