• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Anustart

I've got 4 orbs in dragon quest 3.

I believe I know where 1 more is, after I get this mod rod back to old dude, I'm sure he'll give me the bone which looks like it'll point to an orb. As for the last, no clue.

Got one from navel, one from locked up dude, pirates, and can't remember where I got the fourth.

Cheerilee

I've got 4 orbs in dragon quest 3.

I believe I know where 1 more is, after I get this mod rod back to old dude, I'm sure he'll give me the bone which looks like it'll point to an orb. As for the last, no clue.

Got one from navel, one from locked up dude, pirates, and can't remember where I got the fourth.

Check out Japan and/or New York.

Lynx_7

So I actually did borrow my brother's cellphone and III works like a charm, so I'll most likely go with that version. Still unsure on whether I should settle for hero/cleric/mage/warrior or replace the warrior with a thief. Decisions!
Played it a little bit yesterday and it looks much more open ended than IV, which should make for a nice change of pace whenever I finish that one, which shouldn't take that long. I still dislike how unresponsive touch controls feels though.

I guess after finishing those two I could finally go back to Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm hoping VI, VII, IX and X aren't too heavily referenced.

You might like Recettear on PC then, its a game that has you manage an item, including some dungeon crawling to get more products.

I gave it a quick look and it seems pretty interesting. I'll try it out whenever I see it on a steam sale.

Lynx_7

Finally got the full party on DQ IV!
Marquis de Léon
and
Baalzack strikes back
were quite the difficulty spike. I had to go exploring the world map for a bit until Kyril got Kabuff to fight the first one, otherwise it was just not manageable. It was very satisfying when I took him down.

The second was basically RNG shenanigans the whole way through. He kept overwhelming me with consecutive crackles on the same turn and randomly attacking before my healers which made it impossible to plan around. Then I figured I was maybe too underleveled, did the
Zennithian Helmet
quest and when I got back to him my hero and Alena got like 3 or 4 crits and made short work of the fight just like that. He also used crackle much less frequently. lol rng

Almost want to jump straight to DQ3 rather then do these last few DQ2 dungeons lol

I know that feeling, they're so labirintine and packed with random encounters. The second to last dungeon, the cave before Rhone, is almost a compilation of everything I dislike about NES jrpgs. Thankfully IV has been smooth sailing for the most part and it's almost hard to believe they belong to the same console.

Been messing around in DQ3, I'm about 6-7 hours in. I have to ask, what's the point of thief? Sure, they get certain field spells that help you navigate dungeons, but I felt like they offered nothing in battle that the Hero can not do. I eventually went back and grabbed myself a mage and never looked back

Aeana

Been messing around in DQ3, I'm about 6-7 hours in. I have to ask, what's the point of thief? Sure, they get certain field spells that help you navigate dungeons, but I felt like they offered nothing in battle that the Hero can not do. I eventually went back and grabbed myself a mage and never looked back
Aside from having a chance to steal in battle, thief gets access to whip and boomerang, learns some useful abilities like padfoot, and has the fastest agility growth rate. When you change classes, you keep half of your stats, so starting the game as a thief and turning to martial artist makes for a pretty great character. And the point at which you get access to Dharma to change is also around the time when boomerangs and whips become less useful vs skills.

Aside from having a chance to steal in battle, thief gets access to whip and boomerang, learns some useful abilities like padfoot, and has the fastest agility growth rate. When you change classes, you keep half of your stats, so starting the game as a thief and turning to martial artist makes for a pretty great character. And the point at which you get access to Dharma to change is also around the time when boomerangs and whips become less useful vs skills.

Ah, okay. So it makes sense from a class changing standpoint. I think I'll stick with my current line up (Hero - Warrior - Priest - Mage), as not having Kabuff was really screwing with me before, and I don't feel like waiting until later after class changing to get it.

Lothar

Banned
How do you recruit monsters in DQ5? I recruited 3 as soon as I got the wagon but haven't recruited another one in about 15 hours.

Lynx_7

I beat Dragon Quest IV! Spoilers ahead.

I'm just gonna start this out with my biggest pet peeve about JRPG villains because it's one of the few nitpicks I have with the game: I hate it when games have these really cool looking antagonists that you constantly see throughout the game and then you never get to fight them. I mean, you "fight them", but you fight the monstrous aberration with wings version of them or, in this case, a... horned giant frog thing?(kind of an underwhelming design for a final boss, tbh) It just doesn't feel satisfying to me unless you get to beat him in his actual original
better
design at least once, you know? Not in a cutscene or a scripted fight but an actual battle. I call it the Sephiroth syndrome, but since Psaro was the original long haired pretty boy you don't actually get to fight, I might as well call it the Psaro syndrome from now on.
That aside, the last fight itself was great. It felt more climatic than the one from DQ V and towards the end things just got really intense. The ending itself was also pretty sweet.

Overall, I guess there's not much to say other than that it's a very solid entry in the franchise and definetely the most impressive NES rpg I've played. Psaro is also the strongest DQ villain and the only one to have a sympathetic background and motivations other than "evil overlord who wants mankind's destruction because POWER". Really nice balance between challenging and fair
besides bullshit status spells that hits everyone, do you hear me pink dragonriders in the last dungeon who KEEP PUTTING MY PARTY TO F******* SLEEP
, I liked all the main characters and pretty much all of them played a part in my team all the way up to and including the final boss. Except Torneko. Sorry man, you're just kinda weak :(

Absolute and undeniable power rankings of the series that shall not be questioned: V > VIII > IV > I > II. The first three places are relatively close to one another though.

Now I suppose I have to figure out what to do in chapter 6 before moving on. And then next up, III.

Psxphile

How do you recruit monsters in DQ5? I recruited 3 as soon as I got the wagon but haven't recruited another one in about 15 hours.

Only certain monsters can be recruited, and usually there's a low chance of it at that (some lower than others). Also, the monster you want to recruit has to be the last one defeated in battle.

Aeana

Only certain monsters can be recruited, and usually there's a low chance of it at that (some lower than others). Also, the monster you want to recruit has to be the last one defeated in battle.
The last part is wrong. Doesn't matter at all when the monster is defeated.

While we are talkin monster taming, I want to talk about how disatisfied I am with the state of the monsters series.

I haven't played joker 3, but 1 and 2 were lackluster. Come to think of it, the only monsters game I really like were 1 and 2.

I am a dq die hard fan because of monsters. I liked 1-4 on nes quite a bit, but it wasn't until monsters came out that I fell in love with the franchise. 2 was good too but it lacked the atmosphere and charm that 1 had. I don't think they ever managed to recapture that spirit.

Cheerilee

The last part is wrong. Doesn't matter at all when the monster is defeated.

I remember reading a guide that said it did matter. Like, at the end of your battle it's impossible to recruit two monsters at the same time. And the game chooses between the two by determining which monster was the last one standing.

Also, odds in a battle don't stack. Like if a metal slime has a 1/100 chance of being recruited, and you encounter a group of ten of them, and somehow manage to kill all ten, your odds of recruitment at the end of your fight didn't just jump to 1-in-10, they're still 1-in-100. You would've done just as well to kill one metal slime and let the rest run away. You just get the odds on the last one.

And you can't fight a low-odds monster and then finish with a high-odds monster, and hope that if you fail to recruit the second monster, it'll at least give you the first one, because supposedly it determines which monster you're trying for before it makes the odds calculation.

I can't remember if they said that killing an un-recruitable monster last was something that was ignored by the calculator or if it voided your chance of recruiting anything. If it ignores impossible recruits, that would explain why it seems like the killing order doesn't matter.

Aeana

I've played DQ5 more times than most people. At least once a year since 1992. I've run into just about any situation you can imagine, including recruiting the first monster I killed in a battle against several enemies that are all recruitable. In fact, that situation comes up a lot.

One of the easiest ways to test this is to use the hitoshikonomi trick in the Super Famicom version, where you put specific items in the hero's inventory which guarantees critical hits and 100% monster recruitment. The enemy that gets up to join you can be any of the ones from the battle that are recruitable.

EDIT: All right, upon research, apparently the DS version changes the rules a bit. I wasn't aware of this, as I haven't played that version as much as the others. They do claim that the last one is the one that gets up for that version.

Fan on Twitter snapped this picture at their local Target. Based on this it looks like Dragon Quest VII will be getting released very soon and we'll be getting a physical version too because I doubt Target would devote standing shelf space for a download card:

Psxphile

Fan on Twitter snapped this picture at their local Target. Based on this it looks like Dragon Quest VII will be getting released very soon and we'll be getting a physical version too because I doubt Target would devote standing shelf space for a download card:

image link no good, mate
maybe deleted?

EDIT: https://twitter.com/colorninja/status/742500047875678208

quujLpY.jpg

EDIT: oh shit you guys already have a thread for this

Psxphile

Just found out there's some people at GBATemp putting together a fan translation for Dragon Quest Monsters - Terry's Wonderland 3D:

It's a work in progress. Probably be some time before completed, if ever. Also seems they're looking for more help with translations, etc.

1upsuper

While we are talkin monster taming, I want to talk about how disatisfied I am with the state of the monsters series.

I haven't played joker 3, but 1 and 2 were lackluster. Come to think of it, the only monsters game I really like were 1 and 2.

I am a dq die hard fan because of monsters. I liked 1-4 on nes quite a bit, but it wasn't until monsters came out that I fell in love with the franchise. 2 was good too but it lacked the atmosphere and charm that 1 had. I don't think they ever managed to recapture that spirit.

I think you're a bit behind the times on the Monsters series. The 3DS remakes of Monsters 1 and 2 were superb, especially the remake of 2. Joker 3 was a big letdown though, you're right.

Just found out there's some people at GBATemp putting together a fan translation for Dragon Quest Monsters - Terry's Wonderland 3D:

It's a work in progress. Probably be some time before completed, if ever. Also seems they're looking for more help with translations, etc.

How does that work. I have homebrew channel on one of my 3dses. If I had the cart, would I be able to cross load it?

Psxphile

How does that work. I habe homebred channel on one of my 3dses. If I had the cart, would I be able to cross load it?

I'm wondering that myself. The 3DS homebrew scene has pretty much exploded the last few weeks, making it difficult to pin down all the different kind of features that are now available. I thought I read somewhere that real-time patching a rom or real cart was a thing now, but I might be thinking about another handheld. It would certainly go a long way to legitimatize translation patches if they could be done in a legal manner (besides the whole break open your 3DS thing).

Tidalwave

Oh, thank god. I hope this translation project actually gets finished though.

Terrorblot

I can't wait for Dragon Quest VII's US release. VII is the only game in the main franchise I havent' touched at all (Besides X). I've been thinking about grabbing the PSX version but I want to go in blind!

lewisgone

So, after playing it through twice already, I'd really like to do a playthrough of Dragon Quest IX where I can access all the WiFi content, since the fact I can't access it is what always stops me playing postgame stuff for a bit. The question is, with the Nintendo WiFi now out of service, what's the best way to unlock this content?

If anyone can recommend the best and cheapest method to unlock this stuff I'd be really grateful. A method that also lets me hack the DS Pokemon games to unlock the WiFi items in those would also be appreciated.

Jucksalbe

Banned
All the extra stuff is unlocked through your save file as far as I know. It seems someone wrote a special save editor for Dragon Quest IX. But you'd need a way to dump your save from the game and put it back into the game for that. Not sure if there's any other way.

KiTA

Apparently the same file format is used in Joker 3:

o5nn8Oz.jpg

With Dragon Quest VII finally getting a release date, I've taken it upon myself to finally beat Dragon Quest VI. Been putting it off since DS Release. Got close on SNES about a decade ago (spent summer 2006 on SNES RPGs Seiken Denstetsu 3, Dragon quest V and then DQVI). DS version followed when it released in 2011.

I've beaten all of them except for DQVI and DQ2. DQ2 I give myself a pass on. I took it all the way to the final boss and just don't want to do the grind to take it down.

But DQVI... That's possible. So since starting yesterday I'm at Murdaw (Mudo) in the real world.

Now It's not that I haven't beaten DQVII. I've done it twice on PSX (well once on PSX and another time on PSX via PSP).

Lynx_7

You know, I think I'm gonna play VI before III. Terry is the only party member left on DQ Heroes whose game I've yet to play and he seems to show up in a lot of spin-off stuff. III will probably be next, I guess. If I don't feel like waiting for VII.

You know, I think I'm gonna play VI before III. Terry is the only party member left on DQ Heroes whose game I've yet to play and he seems to show up in a lot of spin-off stuff. III will probably be next, I guess. If I don't feel like waiting for VII.
I played through DQ6 a year before playing Heroes and I forgot he was in DQ6. I just remembered hearing about Terry's Wonderland or whatever and thought he was just from that. :x

Lothar

Banned
I bought DQ4 on IOS. They must have put a untranslated version on the Ap Store by mistake. Because I can't understand a thing these people are saying.

Someone stole all of the barns from the villages? I guess the monsters are trying to build a farm?

I got the sun, moon, star and water sigils in DQ2, is there any npc hints that tell you where to look for the sigils? I'm just wandering around aimlessly at this point lol, feeling like I missed something.

Top Bottom