• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driving Games - Make You Reckless Driver?

After 2 hours of Uphills last night in RSC2 I was driving like a maniac on the way to work and school today. Something about driving games does that. Makes me wanna kill and get in the news and blame doom.

HAOHMARU

One time I stayed up playing Quake 2 so much that I started halucinating in chemistry class. The chalk board turned into the first map in death match...pretty schweeeet.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
While testing Need For Speed on PS One, I got a speeding ticket. Two of the programmers did as well. :(

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thanks to stealth games whenever I'm in a dark room I instantly get down low and start looking for a good place to hide. I fucking hate it.

Whenever I'm in a closed corridor I always get that feeling of being in a FPS.

Gran Turismo has made me a better driver and RSC2 rectified that.

Stryder

Yep, I definitely think that driving games fuel my recklessness on the road, this isn't to say that I'm a bad driver, I just think they make me.. more confident? (which probably isn't a good thing I guess).

After playing GTA3, I wanted to blow through some red lights when driving. Never did it, though. Never ran over any pedestrians, either.

aoi tsuki

Driving after F-Zero GX or Wipeout is a bad idea. Even worse is playing the music from GX while driving. i caught myself doing just shy of 70 in a 45.

I was driving down a one lane highway and was doing many different things (Talking on walkee talkee (I was at work, construction, you know those yellow ones), eating spitz, and drinking a Big Gulp) when I looked up and realized that in about 3 and a half seconds I would hit the car in front of me (who was stopped, I was going around 90 Km/H). So I start stepping on the break slowly and I realize "Yeah I'm fucked..."...and right before collision I veer to the left and line myself up perfectly between the truck I almost hit and the stone block on the right...literally inches from both. And i looked over at the driver that I almost hit (I was directly beside him) and we stared at each other with this look of astonishment...

I think videogames have given me quick thinking to be able to pull that off. My buddy who I worked with was behind me and said it was insane, and he doesn't know how I didn't crash.

Keio

For a Finer World
I think there is a sort of speed blindness that you easily get from playing a high speed/tempo game right before driving. It's similar to driving from a 120 kph highway to a 30 kph village street.

Also while playing lots of Grand Prix Legends (using a proper Momo wheel) I often felt that the family saloon I drove was very underpowered and the shifter didn't do high revs as well as a '67 formula.

And all this is very bad. Having lost a friend in a car crash plus having been a passenger in a nasty accident involving fast cars and mountainsides, I'd say that the excitement of speeding just isn't worth a game over (or permanent disability) in real life.

Teddman

I threw a banana peel at a guy who cut me off once. I did happen to be playing a lot of Mario Kart 64 at the time...

Playing Gran Turismo has changed the way I perceive the road ahead of me. I'm always looking for the best race line through a curve, even within the bounds of my single lane. When there's an entrance ramp with a double curve to it, I try to clip the insides of the curves and take it at about twice the speed limit (e.g. 50 instead of 25).

bjork

Commodore 64 Test Drive taught me that if you stay in the left lane, a policeman can never pass you on the left and slow down as a means of catching you, because policemen don't break laws.

Top Bottom