• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drunken Master getting new Blu Ray release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spladam

I seem to be among the few who prefer the original Drunken master to the much more polished, big budget sequel.
No regrets!

Young Master is great as well
image.php

Nice effing avatar dude. Hahaha.

It's just that the choreography in the second is so freaking, out of this world amazing. It's just mind blowing and mesmerizing. I think it was Jackie at his best, where most of the humor really worked, and that final epic fight scene....

One of my favourite movies, love the humour. I also think the first movie is funnier and more entertaining than the second, which retreads steps and seems a bit more forced, to me.

Llyranor

I remember watching the DM2 final fight in isolation on youtube and, while admiring the skill involved, not being that amazed by it since by the end Jackie was just in god mode and just absorbing hits instead of doing the expected parries/blocks/acrobatics. When I finally saw the full movie, it was great to see that it was actually a callback to his previous drunken fight in the middle of the film as he was channelling the drunken gods. Seeing him learning about them in DM1 was even better. So, even if 2 isn't a direct sequel story-wise, the spiritual continuity is great stuff.

DM1 to me just has a lot more heart and fun to it then DM2. I enjoy every single scene in the film.

Hwang Jang Lee is also a far better villain. I love his kicks so much

Yeah, that was really fun. He's called the "King of Sticks" in the old english subs. No idea how accurate that was, guess I'll find out in april.

Spladam

Yeah, that was really fun. He's called the "King of Sticks" in the old english subs. No idea how accurate that was, guess I'll find out in april.
He's listed as the "King of Bamboo" on IMDB if I recall correctly. That same dude played the leader of the workers in the iron factory in the end of Drunken Master II.

MarveI

I like both but I think Drunken Master 2 aka Legend of the Drunken Master has by far my fav fight scene ever. It was pure insanity. Art in its highest form. Not sure if this is true but read somewhere they filmed that fight scene for 3-4 months ? Who else does that ?

I honestly don't think we will ever see that type of fight scenes ever again. Grew up with Bruce and seen a lot of great stuff since then but Jackies fight scenes are so unique to me never seen anything quite like it. It's like a combination of many things (acrobatics, dance, choreo, fight skills, parcour etc.). None of that constant use of wires or stunt doubles. Just pure creativity, dedication and skill. I kinda wish he never came to Hollywood. Robbed us of many more awesome films.

Oh how can I forget the fight scenes with Benny. Especially the one in Wheels on meals.
Prime Jackie was the real definition of an action star.

berzeli

Banned
So an update on this thread:

Do not buy the Twilight Time disc. Their release doesn't have the complete Cantonese audio track, so there will be portions where the English dub will play instead. The MoC disc has the complete Cantonese audio track, in addition it also has way more extras, and a better cover.

The MoC release is region free, and if you buy it directly from Eureka there is free worldwide shipping. (and it's cheaper than the TT version).

I mean just look at the covers and it should be apparent which version is the better one:

Do not buy the Twilight Time disc. Their release doesn't have the complete Cantonese audio track, so there will be portions where the English dub will play instead. The MoC disc has the complete Cantonese audio track, in addition it also has way more extras, and a better cover.

The MoC release is region free, and if you buy it directly from Eureka there is free worldwide shipping. (and it's cheaper than the TT version).

I mean just look at the covers and it should be apparent which version is the better one:

Close escape there, I was very tempted by the us version as it had Snake as well, but I got the uk one in the end, and it's a mostly excellent edition. Shame they couldn't find out who owned the rights to the original english dub in time.

Fox Mulder

Twilight Time can be great, but other times they're a rip off. They couldn't even make decent artwork for something they'll charge $30 for.

Llyranor

I'm really pissed off at the TT release, but it's a double-feature with Snake in the Eagle's Shadow which I also want, so I mignt have to pick it up anyway alongside the Eureka release. For shame, TT, releasing an incomplete audio track when the complete one is available. Unfortunately any potential future uk SITS release would be censored.

LiK

holy shit, the TT cover is shit-tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom