• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual sense controller ignored?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Astros playroom displayed a ton of potential of what the dual sense is capable of. Since then, I can't recall a game that uses most of its Enhanced features.

I think it's important to note a few things here.

We're only 3 years into the generation. Let's say Astro's Playroom inspired developers to make a game using the dual sense features. It might take 3-4+ years from when it launched for us to see that game.

Other thing we have to take into consideration is that a lot of games releasing now, we're in development before the PS5 even launched or close to it and the design language may have been locked in to not make using a lot of these features make sense.

Going further, if you build mechanics that rely on these features you're basically destroying any multiplatform opportunities that you might have, so in this multiplatform environment where you really need to recover your budget and have every opportunity to make profit, it doesn't make much sense.

If even 1 game makes use of it, it could be generation-defining. Look at games like Boktai that is forever memorable because it used the solar sensor...

sainraja

It can take some time before some things catch on—sometimes a generation or two. It just depends on whether Sony carries it forward. I like games that use it well.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just like the touchpad, its ending up as mere gimmicks.

Make no sense for devs to devote their resources to it when they can use on fixing bugs or something

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
in all honestly similar to 3D in 3DS, I just stop really noticing it because when I play game I way more focus on the game itself to pay attention to anything else......but that just me.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Because it doesn't add a new way of interacting with games. It's more like a bonus to give a "premium" feel to the device.

Dual screens and motion controls are good examples of hardware features that allows more possibilities of interaction.

Nintendo for instance went all the way with the dual screens and motion controls that were added to their consoles.
It was not an afterthought like the Kinect and the PSMove, it was something that Nintendo integrated in most of their games in fun ways.

It allowed unique experiences to blossom.

A.Romero

The triggers I think are used in several games and the rumble is taken advantage too because apparently it's very easy to implement.

Other than that you are right, very few games use it as extensively as Astrobot. I don't think it's a time thing as as far as I know many devs got to see Astro before it was release and the features are properly documented. It's just that it won't make a difference sales-wise so why bother...

killatopak

Don’t expect third party to use it well. However they now have incentive with Steam Dual Sense users seemingly growing up to more of 20% of the user base.

Whether they actually do implement that is up in the air.

Aenima

Alot of 3rd party games use the Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Feedback. Much more than i though they would use. It helps that the haptic feedback is an audio channel that vibrates the controler so its pretty easy for devs to implement it. Just dont expect many devs to use all the controller features at the same time like Astro does. Which is also a good thing cuz Astro drains the controller battery pretty fast.

Stooky

blah blah blah whatever GIF

Don’t expect third party to use it well. However they now have incentive with Steam Dual Sense users seemingly growing up to more of 20% of the user base.

Whether they actually do implement that is up in the air.
The Dualsense features still don't work wirelessly over Bluetooth AFAIK.

YCoCg

With all PlayStation games coming to PC don't expect anymore games that make full use of the features.
But you can use the controller on PC and the features can be done via the drivers. Even Steam is notifying now if games can use Dualshock 4 or Dualsense natively.

Yeah, you don't actively notice it that much while playing most games, but you miss it when it's gone.
Its almost a deal breaker for me if a game doesnt have haptic feedback and trigger resistance, because that shows the devs arent actually taking advantge of the hardware. Its the one feature besides fast loading and high frame rate VRR that literally make games feel "next gen".

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
But you can use the controller on PC and the features can be done via the drivers. Even Steam is notifying now if games can use Dualshock 4 or Dualsense natively.
Yes, 'can'. But they have to make sure the game works fine with all other controls as well and so they can't design games around it. Generic implementations is all we will see. I bet without Pc ports we would see better use of the features.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, 'can'. But they have to make sure the game works fine with all other controls as well and so they can't design games around it. Generic implementations is all we will see. I bet without Pc ports we would see better use of the features.

How does it work in Returnal if you play that with a controller that doesn't support adaptive triggers? Since in that game you shoot normally by pressing the trigger down to the first "stop", and then if you press past that you do the alt fire of whatever weapon you're using. That gets assigned to a different button I guess?

mrmustard

Banned
How does it work in Returnal if you play that with a controller that doesn't support adaptive triggers? Since in that game you shoot normally by pressing the trigger down to the first "stop", and then if you press past that you do the alt fire of whatever weapon you're using. That gets assigned to a different button I guess?
No idea, i don't own Returnal on pc and mostly play with m+k.

Drizzlehell

Banned
These are just gimmicks anyway. Something for consoomers to gush about for the first few months after console's release, after which no one will give a shit anymore. The most that I remember it for is some game where rain droplets would be felt on the controller. I can't even remember which game that was, but it was about as essential to the experience as a saddle for a pig.

There was also some other game where you could ping a sonar-like thingy and it would bounce back a vibration from the direction where the enemy was so that was also pretty cool I guess. But again, I can't even remember which game that was. I may have even imagined it.

Last edited:
I really liked the haptic feedback in Diablo 4, shooting ice shards at trash mobs and/or shattering frozen enemies felt verrrrry good on my dualsense controller. Then the devs dropped a patched and nerfed the haptics into the ground... smh. Like why do that!?!?!?

Top Bottom