• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony make a mistake with Dual Sense?

I've got to say the Dual Sense is probably my favorite controller of all time, I've used it on PS5, PS3, and PC, but I just find it super strange that Sony didn't include official PS4 support for the Dual Sense.

I can't imagine how many people would buy a Dual Sense or Dual Sense Edge for their PS4 over the Dual Shock 4 (which is an excellent control in its own right).

Even if the games didn't support all the functions, base-level support should have been there. I'd love to hear an argument against this.

Title doesn't reflect the contents of your OP. But no, most people don't care about it as they don't have multiple PS4 and PS5 systems in the same household where this could become an issue (i.e. inability to pair the dualsense with the PS4).

I do remember the other forum raging hard about this particular issue though with threads going 10s of pages long.

Last edited:
You need to have mods change the title or something because people are not reading the OP.
In regards to your question. Maybe? They want to sell PS5s but I assume that they could probably sell a ton of Dual Sense controllers with more compatibility with previous consoles.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They should make it compatible with PS4 sans adaptIve triggers and haptics. It's silly that it doesn't work with PS4. They'll stop selling new DS4 controllers at some point and people will have to resort to cheap knockoffs. Hopefully they enable it by then.

Fbh

As a consumer yeah, it sucks Dualsense isn't compatible with Ps4 and the Dualshock 4 can't be used with PS5 games (because I don't want to spend another $70 for the one time every 6 months I might want to play something in local coop on Ps5).

But from a marketing perspective I get why they wanted to leave it as this Ps5 exclusive feature.

Title doesn't reflect the contents of your OP. But no, most people don't care about it as they don't have multiple PS4 and PS5 systems in the same household where this could become an issue (i.e. inability to pair the dualsense with the PS4).

I do remember the other forum raging hard about this particular issue though with threads going 10s of pages long.

I'm not sure the point would be owning a PS4 and a PS5. You can buy a Dual Sense without owning a PS5.

Not being able to buy a better control for your existing PS4, I think is a mistake and a missed opportunity. That's reflected in both the OP and the Title.

King Dazzar

DualSense Edge is my favourite controller to date. Its not perfect, with only two paddles and short battery life. But I still prefer it over any of the numerous custom controllers I've owned on both PlayStation and Xbox.

Also when you think about the tech that's in it: onboard audio speaker and mic, light bar, touchpad, adaptive triggers, haptics, motion sensor. Its an amazing achievement.

As to the PS4 side of things. I only wish there were more backwards improvements being made to more games to make use of the haptics and triggers. I'd love some adaptive triggers for Days Gone for example....

Last edited:
I'm not sure the point would be owning a PS4 and a PS5. You can buy a Dual Sense without owning a PS5.

Not being able to buy a better control for your existing PS4, I think is a mistake and a missed opportunity. That's reflected in both the OP and the Title.
Guess I rushed a bit reading your OP since the title was a bit too clickbaity. :p I guess Sony just want everyone that's currently still on PS4 to upgrade ASAP to PS5, idk.

Last edited:
Yeah, would have been nice to have PS4 support, but who knows, maybe they had a stockpile of DS4s they wanted to shift.

I guess this is a possible explanation, but if that were true, it would seem to be a massive supply chain miscalculation.

Given that they're still selling in pretty high quantities and color schemes, I have to wonder though if they're actually still actively making them.

DualSense Edge is my favourite controller to date. Its not perfect, with only two paddles and short battery life. But I still prefer it over any of the numerous custom controllers I've owned on both PlayStation and Xbox.

Also when you think about the tech that's in it: onboard audio speaker and mic, light bar, touchpad, adaptive triggers, haptics, motion sensor. Its an amazing achievement.

As to the PS4 side of things. I only wish there were more backwards improvements being made to more games to make use of the haptics and triggers. I'd love some adaptive triggers for Days Gone for example....

I think going back and updating games makes a lot of sense and we're seeing greater engagement and sales for games that get updated with new features or QOL improvements.

I think especially with the pandemic when it was difficult to buy a PS5, that would have been an excellent way to produce some more sales.

I just can't imagine using a Dual Shock 4 today and it was legit my favorite controller just 3 years ago. I bought an extra one just for PC and PS3. gaming. There are all sorts of work arounds to get a Dual Sense to work one a PS4, so it's entirely possible, but having no commercial support I think is a big mistake.

The existence of the controller and new console was to make the old console obsolete. Why tie it to that old hardware in any way?

Also, you make the people buy the new product to play with the new features.

They're still actively selling the PS4 and until Spider-Man games were largely cross-platform. I don't think supporting the previous console with the new controller (not the other way around) takes anything away from the PS5 and again, I didn't say that all the features needed to be supported.

R6Rider

Gold Member
My favorite controller ever, so no. In response to the topic title.

Battery life sucks, but with my setup is a non-issue.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Battery life could be a little better, but at my age I rarely have gaming sessions that exceed that anyway so it's usually a non issue.

Kings Field

I was a simp for th Xbox Elite series 1 and 2 but the Edge I my favorite controller of all time. It's weird going back to the elite after playing with the edge since it launched.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have it off on a system level, the battery is still the lowest in any modern controller. I'll vote yes.

They're still actively selling the PS4 and until Spider-Man games were largely cross-platform. I don't think supporting the previous console with the new controller (not the other way around) takes anything away from the PS5 and again, I didn't say that all the features needed to be supported.
So you start a thread just to ask a question but dismiss every answer?

So you start a thread just to ask a question but dismiss every answer?

I guess this is a possible explanation, but if that were true, it would seem to be a massive supply chain miscalculation.

Given that they're still selling in pretty high quantities and color schemes, I have to wonder though if they're actually still actively making them.

Really?

Last edited:

Larxia

To be honest the dualsense absolutely sucks on games that don't have native haptic feedback support.
If you use a dualsense on a game with standard rumbles, it will only vibrate on the left side, I hate it, I stopped using it on PC because of this, and I imagine it would be like that on all games on a ps4.

They made the new controller and console as the cutting edge new technology. It completely undercuts what they are trying to sell to the consumer to also sell the new high tech controller on the old consoles that they actively want people to ditch and upgrade. It's a very simple business proposition. The mistake would have been to do what you are suggesting.

Vyse

Gold Member
I bought a cheap charging dock from aliexpress, so I start always on 100%. After x hours I usually need some time to rest. I guess I am old now. The charging feels really fast BTW
Me exactly. Sometimes the battery goes dead at the worst time. Ragnarok comes to mind. Need to keep my eye on low battery alerts on my longer playing sessions.

Raonak

Banned
No, because the PS5 is fully backward compatible, there's absolutely no reason to stick to the PS4.

It would be nice to have I guess, but hardly a mistake.

the dual sense in general is the best controller ever.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I don't have a problem with battery life because my charging cable for that thing is always plugged in
Nicolas Cage Wink GIF

IDappa

Definitely a step up from older designs but it still is an uncomfortable controller for me. Using it for shooters I am just asking for cramped hands.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah pretty much. They killed the battery life of their controller, their VR controllers and their portable streaming device just to have the adaptive triggers that are a gimmick.

Topher

Gold Member
I wouldn't trade it for my 8bitdo Ultimate but it is damn good controller. Battery life is definitely an issue though.

K2D

Banned
I like that it feels heavy like a brick and smooth as a pebble. In those regards it's better than the DS4.

Ironically I think I'd prefer the Dual shock 3 as a kid..

MarkMe2525

The existence of the controller and new console was to make the old console obsolete. Why tie it to that old hardware in any way?

Also, you make the people buy the new product to play with the new features.
They made the new controller and console as the cutting edge new technology. It completely undercuts what they are trying to sell to the consumer to also sell the new high tech controller on the old consoles that they actively want people to ditch and upgrade. It's a very simple business proposition. The mistake would have been to do what you are suggesting.
idk, my Quest 1 is an obsolete headset, but Meta continues to add functionality through software updates. Most companies do as you describe and artificially wall off new developments. These updates were never promised nor expected. This made my purchase of the Quest 3 quite easy to justify, as i know it will continue to be supported and made to be better for years to come. I don't see how bringing your customers delight can be considered a mistke.

Codes 208

Its second best to the xbox controller to me, but not for that reason (mainly just the battery life, symmetrical analogs feeling tedious at times while playing shooters, and no native support on non-steam games on pc, ie: fortnite)

My only grievance with the DualSense is its longevity....both controllers I have owned developed problems within the first year of use (left stick drift on the first, R1 button sticking on the second), and the internal design makes repairing them much more difficult than older generation controllers.

From a comfort/functionality standpoint, however, it's one of the best controllers ever made.

Hero_Select

There's a lot of mistakes made with the dual sense controller that go even beyond OPs complaints.

The ergonomics are worse and the battery life is so abysmal that any gaming session going past 2 1/2 - 3 hr mark and that stupid shit dies and is the sole reason I refuse to buy the Edge controller.

Imagine spending that much money on a controller that can't even last a full gaming session. Yikes.

Top Bottom