• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever 2001 Restoration Project

Hey all!

Check out the amazing work being done on restoring the leaked version of Duke Nukem Forever 2001

aD1lGPL.jpg
SW8DLzz.jpg

7VNKExR.png
YPhXU5O.png

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Cease and desist incoming?

It would be nice to see this complete but there is so much missing from the build that leaked they'd have to create a bunch of new stuff. Not sure how I feel about it tbh.

JonSnowball

Cease and desist incoming?

It would be nice to see this complete but there is so much missing from the build that leaked they'd have to create a bunch of new stuff. Not sure how I feel about it tbh.
This mod doesn't look that great, it looks like they changed the Duke model and swapped a heap of textures in one map.

and yes, your second point is correct. The current owners of 3D Realms have their company archives and have said the most 'complete' 2001 version is from the end of 2002, and here's a quote from Matt T. Wood who worked on it shortly after the leak:
YUEqJNd.png

In an ideal world, the most up to date build would be released for modders to complete. The caveat being cannot be sold, only for free. The usual.

That said, which that won't happen, if there was ever to be another Duke game made why not complete the build so new Duke ships with 2001 dnf as a bonus.

JonSnowball

In an ideal world, the most up to date build would be released for modders to complete. The caveat being cannot be sold, only for free. The usual.

That said, which that won't happen, if there was ever to be another Duke game made why not complete the build so new Duke ships with 2001 dnf as a bonus.
If you want to know something amusing, the legendary masturbator Randy Pitchford repeatedly promised an official release of this material several times and never did so.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There isn't remotely close to enough material to restore this to being a full game. They'd end up having to build a full game with the few assets thrown in.

JonSnowball

There isn't remotely close to enough material to restore this to being a full game. They'd end up having to build a full game with the few assets thrown in.
Pretty much. The most 'completed' build of the 2001 version is about 18 months after the build that leaked, and even that has been said by developers to be probably a year or more of full time development out from release. A fan group would very likely never be able to do such a thing, especially with this leaked build. All the maps are there but everything else is very early. The leak is very impressive for what it is especially given how early in development it was relatively speaking but it's nowhere near solid enough for such an attempt.

I’m on the team and don’t worry. We have it all planned out. We have an amazing team and only in 2 months we’ve done amazing work.

Plus we have updated the editor massively and we have model import working too.

The Duke model is a first draft so feedback is good. Also the model in the leak was trash. It has to be redone.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m on the team and don’t worry. We have it all planned out. We have an amazing team and only in 2 months we’ve done amazing work.

Plus we have updated the editor massively and we have model import working too.

The Duke model is a first draft so feedback is good. Also the model in the leak was trash. It has to be redone.
Good luck.

Madonis

As long as they can pick up on the things people enjoyed about those teaser trailers and do a decent job of filling in the blanks with new material, improvements, etc. then this sounds like a nice project.

Based on the state of the leak, they have a lot of work left to do. Good luck!

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's insane how badly managed this game was.

Its like they made a game, and was like "well, fuck it, lets just scrap it and start all fresh".

Its insane. The game doesnt even look bad.

Scotty W

Gold Member
he current owners of 3D Realms have their company archives and have said the most 'complete' 2001 version is from the end of 2002, and here's a quote from Matt T. Wood who worked on it shortly after the leak:

It would be hilarious if the player build leaked and the mod team delayed to use that instead and then spent the next 15 years in development Hell.

makaveli60

This game could have been one of the GOATs if it released in 2001. It’s great that it’s being restored but I don’t have interest in it after 20 years despite being crazily hyped about it, only to be let down by the Gearbox release.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The team at Mighty Foot Productions have carefully restored the 2001 version of Duke Nukem Forever, said to be by most the definitive version of the game. Known as Duke Nukem Forever 2001 Restoration Project, it features as a first slice - the first 9 levels of the game lovingly restored with all new features and its OUT NOW! In this episode we take a closer look

Banned
it's a promising first version.

I played it for maybe 30 to 40 minutes, still many sound and graphics issues but it's really cool to see a version of the game that's close to what it might have been like had it released back then.

rofif

Banned
dude this is a dream come true for me. Shame 2002 didn’t leak but I guess this is more than I ever imagined.
When it leaked earlier this year I woke up early 5 am… a had a hunch and holy shit it leaked!!!! I leave to work only at 8am do I had plenty of time to get on with it.

The restoration project is very impressive so far. I will list some observations:
-technically it’s great. It works, scripts are working and aside from few bugs like mirror bugs and clunkyness , it is really the leak patched up.
- voice acting is pretty good! And the duke sounds better than st jon! Some are stinkers but it’s ok.
- I am not sure how I feel about faithfulness of some creative liberties taken but there really is no way of knowing which room was supposed to have what in there and who is supposed to operate the audio room before the show. I think it was just a sniper enemy in preview screenshots.
- not sure if I like the updated duke model. Looks closer to 2009 trailer which is good. Still better than 2011 yuck.
- even ui animations work !
- why are rooms like sprinkler deactivate rooms moved? It’s changed from the leak. Or the added pool room at the bottom of the hotel and many other. Any reason besides gorgeous views now?
- some eyebrows are still triangular but it’s nitpicking
- performance is still poor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom