• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Awakening – Survive Arrakis Trailer

shaddam

Open World Survival MMO
OSo9J2h.png

Everyone must have forgotten the last reveal said that it was going to be an open world survival MMO.

It looks good graphically. I’m just hoping the gameplay feels smoother like these upcoming MMO games, rather than trying to emulate the feeling of the 2010s MMOs out there.

Here are some bullet points from the direct:
To help sum up:

• The beginning of the game is more about surviving and crafting in the harsh environment.
  • After the beginning once you have crafted more automated machines and your base, the game becomes more focused on the different factions, decisions, and discoveries.
  • You can work your way up the factions including rank
  • You don’t need to engage with factions and can play on your own and explore
  • Water will be a vital resource that you will need to take from resources around you and killing enemies.
  • They created a system for co-op building where you can put a hologram blueprint out for others to help build.
  • You can create complex blueprints and sell them to other players if they want to use the designs for their bases.
  • They have ‘sandbox combat’ and it features melee weaponry, ranged weaponry, grappling hooks, abilities, and vehicles, but they don’t lock you into a class so you’re free to explore other styles.
  • Everyone can heal so no forced trinity(tank,dps,healer)
  • They have a grouping/ping system
  • Journey system(not explained enough)
  • Contracts system(at trading posts)
  • They were allowed usage of movie assets.
  • It uses Lumen for lighting.
  • You will hear and feel the sandworms/shaking sands from a distance and you have seconds to leave/get to safety or you’re dead.
  • Thumpers to distract worms will be vital depending on where you explore.
  • Big Sandstorms can change the landscape(needs more explanation)
  • They have done multiple closed betas so far, and they will keep inviting more and more people and keep going with the betas until they get it right for release.

More info and footage to come. They encourage people to sign up for the closed beta on their website.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There is a very, very low chance this turns out to be good.

But Dune is an excellent playground for a story-driven single-player open-world action-adventure game. I hope a talented AAA studio makes one.

Krathoon

Do we really need to get balls deep into Dune?

Do we really want to?

I mean, it works as an RTS, but an MMO? That is asking for too much.

Would have been very interested in a SP story-driven game set in that world (say, rising to become leader of a band of fremen). But a surivival MMO? I already have a job, thanks.

(The movie is great, btw!)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Anyone know what engine this is using? Looks like UE5 to me.

I’d much prefer a single player game, since I don’t care for survival or mmos, but I’ll still check it out. Love me some Dune lore.

ahtlas7

Anyone know what engine this is using? Looks like UE5 to me.

I’d much prefer a single player game, since I don’t care for survival or mmos, but I’ll still check it out. Love me some Dune lore.
It’s UE5
They have access to movie assets too. Some were mocked up in UE, according to the films DP.

It has all the taglines for the genre that I really don't like, but I'll say I think what they've shown looks interesting and I'd be willing to at least look at it with an open mind. Funcom has history of some cool ideas in the MMO area, the old Conan MMO was really cool for it's time and if it had just done things a bit better, could have been something really unique. I look forward to seeing more.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Anything but a survival mmo please. Here's a billion dollar idea. Sand worm racing. Think of Star Wars episode 1 pod racer but switch the pods out with worms. If you had to choose between only 1 of them, a survival mmo or my idea, don't pretend you wouldn't rather race worms. 🤣

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Have very little interest in watching Dune II.

Have very high interest in playing Dune Awakening.

(Sounds like a 2025 title?)

Anything but a survival mmo please. Here's a billion dollar idea. Sand worm racing. Think of Star Wars episode 1 pod racer but switch the pods out with worms. If you had to choose between only 1 of them, a survival mmo or my idea, don't pretend you wouldn't rather race worms. 🤣
sand dust GIF by Justin Timberlake

Krathoon

Survival on Dune kind of sucks. It is not really entertaining.

The only entertaining part is riding sandworms.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Oh yeah, of fucking course. When I think of Dune, I immediately think of survival MMOs.

Fucking hell...
Actually, yeah - surviving Arrakis is literally what I think of when I think of a Dune game. Hell, the Freman even have a saying: "God created Arrakis to train the faithful". The concepts lend themselves to the setting pretty well, I think. As long as they make water a central survival concept - which they appear to be doing - and prioritise subterranean dwellings, the setting is actually pretty apt. Whether or not the game lives up to it is another matter, but the pitch seems pretty good to me.

CRINGE!!

A Dune game would be cool if it was like mass effect andromeda (yea i know, also cringe) but those desert planet sections were pretty tits and it actually had giant sandworms. Make it more narrative driven than open world and its a keeper. When I learned a new Conan game was coming out i almost doozed my pants, but then I played the demo and it was garbage survival crafting with no fucking ties to the conan stories. It might be the worst genre ever. Just play minecraft or whatever variation, quit using big name licenses for shitty wallpaper on a generic skeleton of a game. I would trust teyon to create something simple and effective (terminator, robocop)

A Dune game would be cool if it was like mass effect andromeda (yea i know, also cringe) but those desert planet sections were pretty tits and it actually had giant sandworms. Make it more narrative driven than open world and its a keeper. When I learned a new Conan game was coming out i almost doozed my pants, but then I played the demo and it was garbage survival crafting with no fucking ties to the conan stories. It might be the worst genre ever. Just play minecraft or whatever variation, quit using big name licenses for shitty wallpaper on a generic skeleton of a game. I would trust teyon to create something simple and effective (terminator, robocop)
It's clear that survival crafting is here to stay as a genre and is still growing to this day.

I'm hopeful that the genre keeps growing to the point where one day a developer is able to combine the narrative ideas of games like Mass Effect, Fallout NV, etc. with survival crafting gameplay.

That's what has been starting to happen with the soulslikes genre as more and more games come along. When done well, these types of genre combinations can introduce rigid fans into other genres, and could potentially grow the fanbases of other narrative games.

It's clear that survival crafting is here to stay as a genre and is still growing to this day.

I'm hopeful that the genre keeps growing to the point where one day a developer is able to combine the narrative ideas of games like Mass Effect, Fallout NV, etc. with survival crafting gameplay.

That's what has been starting to happen with the soulslikes genre as more and more games come along. When done well, these types of genre combinations can introduce rigid fans into other genres, and could potentially grow the fanbases of other narrative games.
Fair enough, Im just opinionated and have fatigue for certain types. And a longtime Dune fan this just disappoints me. Mad Max was great, and sometimes you just gotta reconcile that classic franchises will never be the top games anymore, the new & original (sometimes indie) is where the gold is.

Fair enough, Im just opinionated and have fatigue for certain types. And a longtime Dune fan this just disappoints me. Mad Max was great, and sometimes you just gotta reconcile that classic franchises will never be the top games anymore, the new & original (sometimes indie) is where the gold is.
Completely understand you there, because I have been trying to find my own avenues of getting more engaged into the survival crafting genre. I think what helped me was when games like Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 were able to introduce me to the genre with lighter elements yet still find ways to maintain their Dragon Quest lore and story elements. Fallout 4 also has some light crafting elements as well.

However, these are other genres dipping their toes into survival crafting and what needs to happen more is the opposite, for the survival crafting genre to start doing it on their end. Palworld, while rough around the edges, is a good example of merging two genres together in service of one another.

These are the types of combinations I'm hopeful for:

Survival crafting Devil May Cry/Bayonetta game.
Survival crafting Doomlike.
Survival crafting Mass Effect-like.
Survival crafting turn based-JRPG.
Survival crafting car combat game.
Survival crafting Skateboarding game.

There are so many possibilities here that I'd like to see people take a shot at and I think this Dune game seems interesting so far. I need to see more of their Directs to know how they're planning on crafting the narrative side of things and the aspects of the game beyond the survival and crafting elements. They just hinted at more but didn't go into it much further.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Last edited:
Top Bottom