• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: Resident Evil 9 will not be delayed, and it will be announced fairly soon with a release window set for January 2025

FeastYoEyes

I could see this one have an option for first or third person after their experiment in the Village DLC (Evil Within 2 pulled it off pretty well).

Hoping to see any of the big characters be the focus in this one.

Sure. They're very bland, extremely mediocre, completely uninteresting, terribly written and there's just absolutely nothing to like about them at all, even from the visual standpoint. I'd say more, but it's relatated to the ending of RE Village so I won't.
While it can be argued how things turned out and the quality of that writing, I liked the initial idea of RE7 where a random civilian (Ethan) was forcefully dragged into a massive amount of bullshit (Umbrella, new virus strain, experiments, Chris, etc). I also like the idea of Umbrella's remnants spreading to the messier parts of Southern USA which led to a unique setting.

Ethan's tale in RE7 was a refreshing story compared to the other protagonists.

I also agree with the take above that we need one more game with Sheva. It feels like she was added due to controversy then quickly tossed aside. They should just take advantage of her existence and give her a campaign of her own. Maybe a prequel since Chris was the one who traveled there and not the other way around.

Arachnid

Why can’t we just have RE is the same mould as the RE4 remake. Where is the news on the next remake?
Seriously! They JUST made potentially the best game in the series. Do that again. Do RE2make again. You don't need to re-invent shit.

Synless

What’s wrong with Ethan and crew? They ain’t that bad.

You can’t really bitch about moss people. Everyones favorite RE game had the original variant with those floppy fucks you needed a thermal scope for.

What’s wrong with Ethan and crew? They ain’t that bad.

You can’t really bitch about moss people. Everyones favorite RE game had the original variant with those floppy fucks you needed a thermal scope for.
People want the A-Team not the sidestory characters.

Last edited:

LukeAJN

Think I a firmly in the first person camp, it just seems to add that little bit of tension which I have found missing from the last few resident evils. Then again I do think RE2 remake handled it very well so its not like I would be crushed to hear they want back to third person.

Diddy X

I'm fine if they make one first person RE and the next third person like they've been doing for variety's sake.

Mia and Rose are alive I guess they'll close their story in this game, maybe Rose is playable again? She has some superpowers now so she might play a role. I bet there is gonna be more than one playable character.

If it's derivative of Village, or centers around anything Ethan related, then I'll have to pass. He's just such a bland and boring character, and the sub-par writing of RE7 and RE8 sure doesn't help matters either. This is not me implying that the previous entries had high caliber writing or anything, I'm just saying they were at least entertaining. All Nu-RE has is everyone's new drunk uncle, Jack Baker, after being forcibly adopted into his fungi infected red neck family. That aside, I'm still disappointed that Capcom cancelled the Rebecca Chambers focused Switch title that supposedly existed. I would much rather have that than another first-person Winter family foray, and it is simply because Rebecca is so underutilized it's criminal. She is one of the OG Raccoon City survivors yet has only been featured in two entries. Come on now, Capcom.

I feel like this franchise is in the best of hands at this point, people who truly 'get' resident evil. very ready for anything they come up with...

Astral Dog

Its all pretty boring stuff, and vague typical Dusk

I have high expectations for RE9 but the only thing thats 'confirmed' supposedly is the budget and scope.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
kd3OHix.jpeg

Must we lock every I.P. down to a small set of characters and never budge?

Isn't that part of what got us where we are with Ghostbusters, Terminator, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.?
I would rather have classic Ghostbusters than the all female reboot. Terminator would have been better off as a one off. Of the sequels, the best ones are the ones that reuse classic characters like Salvation and Genisys. Intellectual properties are defined by their icons. If a new icon is desired, then they should create a new IP with ties to the other.

P.S. Space soap operas bore me to tears, so I haven't made it through a single one of those to know the difference.

Last edited:

DavJay

I only played viii because they gave an option for third person. Skipped 7 and will skip 9 if it’s in disgusting fp

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Cool, but I personally hope they ditch the first person perspective in the next one.
This trilogy is primarily based on this, as the past was an over the shoulder and before the fixed cam. They could released a third person option mode, like they did with Village, but one thing doesn't null the other

Neff

Whatever it is, I'm in.

If it's derivative of Village, or centers around anything Ethan related, then I'll have to pass.

Ethan's story is done, the Village DLC spells it out as clearly as possible. The next game will most likely be something completely new.

Last edited:

Neff

Rose might be the main character.

Possible, but I have a feeling they'll file her away along with Jake Muller and Billy Coen in the forgotten characters drawer. Not to mention that they'd have to do a Tekken 3 and throw the franchise forward in time to 2037, by which time all the fan favourites will be old geezers.

Reaseru

Rose might be the main character.

They never set the franchise mainline games happen too far in the future (usually the game events occur around the year game releases), so i don't think we will see Rose anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bkdk

I think capcom will now make rose look so much prettier after the success of stellar babes, probably they will put the pragmata loli into re9 too since that game is likely cancelled. Sexidentevil coming! Characters like Claire and Jill were what gamers like to simp to back in ps1 days, time to bring back that hype.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They never set the franchise mainline games happen too far in the future (usually the game events occur around the year game releases), so i don't think we will see Rose anytime soon.

Rose is a young adult and already working for Chris at the end of RE8.

Reaseru

I know that, but the game doesn't happen during that period. It only timeskips for the players to see what happened to Rose after the events of RE8.

RE8 ending states the story of Ethan's family has ended.

Neff

Village's epilogue and DLC takes place 16 years after the main game. They may jump forwards with 9, but I have a feeling they'll want to keep things contemporary, if only for a more relatable setting and the opportunity to spend more time with the old cast before they break a hip.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Curious to know the setting. I wonder if we will have 80-year old Chris fighting with a cane.

If the Death Island movie is canon, which I believe it is, the entire OG cast has been infected, and cured, of the T-Virus or some variant of it like Jill was in 5 which now prevents or seriously slows down aging. So Capcom have a convenient reason to keep them around for as long as they like.

Diddy X

I know that, but the game doesn't happen during that period. It only timeskips for the players to see what happened to Rose after the events of RE8.

RE8 ending states the story of Ethan's family has ended.

IMO this absolutely looks like a set up for a new game with Rose as the main character.

Reaseru

IMO this absolutely looks like a set up for a new game with Rose as the main character.

You guys may be right...I don't know what the future of RE holds, but Rose as the protagonist of RE9 would be the first time RE takes place in the future.

Deerock71

i really really hope the game has some incredible "playlevels" like re4, instead of some boring walking simulator sections like in village.

One of the main reason why i replayed re4 like 5 times.
RE4 had a brilliant structure for the game. I never want a horror game to be open-world, or the vast majority would chicken out and just nibble at the edges. RE4 forced the player into encounters that felt overwhelming, and you felt like a bonafide badass (and relieved) when you lived to tell the tale.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Village had some fantastic vibes throughout the game. I’m hoping for something good with RE9 but I have no clue what to expect.

Dump first person & never mention or have the Winters family show up ever again and I'll be all over it.
God please. 7 is a mindbogglingly overrated trend chaser of a game and 8 was an identity confused mess with the "best" parts being the RE4 knockoff greatest hits.

Also, the RE8 DLC is some of the worst RE content ever created imo and I owned the lightgun games. Literally just "generic Horror tropes walking sim".

Last edited:
If the Death Island movie is canon, which I believe it is, the entire OG cast has been infected, and cured, of the T-Virus or some variant of it like Jill was in 5 which now prevents or seriously slows down aging. So Capcom have a convenient reason to keep them around for as long as they like.
RE is basically Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire and Ada's show. Shame that Wesker left us too early.
I mean yeah... But he's in every game. It's boring.
They need a boulder punching mini-game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom