• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: Monster Hunter Wilds and Resident Evil 9 will be Open World

Draugoth

Gold Member
105527.jpg

The insider Dusk Golem, who is (sorta) reliable when it comes to Resident Evil and Silent Hill, has stated via his that Resident Evil 9 will have open-world elements, although he didn't say much.

(1/2) So here's a little tidbit I'll share, Capcom often will greenlight new initiatives in 3's closer together. Decent examples are RE7, RE:2 & DMCV were all Greenlit fairly close together to take advantage of their new RE Engine, & the idea to remake RE:2 inspired them to also
(2/2) take on RE:3 & RE:4 for a remake initiative. Dragons Dogma 2 expanded RE Engine functionality for open world games, the two other games building on this tech is Monster Hunter Wild & Resident Evil 9.
In short, Capcom usually has a plan to use new ideas in two or three games released close together, and in this example it used the games in the Resident Evil franchise, and added the recently released Dragon's Dogma 2, which is open-world.

Source

GymWolf

For the love of rathalos, fix your damn engine before wilds is out, i don't wanna see another dogma2 situation again, especially for mh that is not gonna have a pc release so we are gonna be at the mercy of the console version.

IAmRei

RE with open world will be a weird take... for me. it is very weird, unless Capcom knows how to execute well.
I think i will open mind for the concept ...

But... if it works...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
-first person open world
-rpg system leveling up system with HP and virus gauge system
-find and inject virus syringe to learn new abilities
-climb towers to unlock map area
-armor, weapon with loot level system.
-solve side quest around the world from NPC quest givers
-crafting system
-dynamic opt in coop system

etc....

GymWolf

What do you mean? MH Wilds has a steam page already...
Really? I thought they were just doing their thing to release the game on pc later to get money from the double dipper.

Let's hope they release the game the same days as the console version because no die hard mh fanboy is gonna be able to wait even 3 months...l(i know i can't :lollipop_grinning_sweat: ).

Honestly, I always felt that Resident Evil 5 was supposed to be open world based on how they originally described it, including the concept trailer.
Though honestly I'd rather they make an open world game in the Megaman franchise.

Maybe call it Megaman Legends 3?
I'm just happy they released the old MM games in collection titles.

Breath of Fire has been locked deep within the underground of the abyss. No one even remembers it's name anymore.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I was kinda expecting RE3 Remake to be more Open World. Not sure how they wanna make it work outside Racoon City. Could work well, could also go terribly wrong. We’ll see. I choose to be optimistic.

T4keD0wN

-first person open world
-crafting system

etc....
Imagine climbing Resident Evil radio/cell towers to fill the map with icon vomit.
Far Cry Laughing GIF

Hudo

Well, maybe Capcom will be the first who manage to marry open-world to good horror (they won't).

DonF

resident evil could be good as open world survival. but they need to do it better than all games before. I trust capcom right now.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I eagerly await Resident Evil 14, a game that reinvents the boundaries of modern horror by throwing you into a blood and rust covered nightmare island where the only thing keeping humanity from extinction is Chris Redfield's crops of Green Herbs and resource gathering to build your own Haunted Mansion base, but be careful - you can only hold what you can carry, and must make frequent trips back to the Hideout to hit your item box. Be aware, too, you'll find yourself being stalked in the open plains while you farm by Classic Resident Evil Boss Monsters! Could be Lisa Trevor, could be Moira Burton, you might even have bad luck and run into One Dangerous Zombie on your travels to collect compost for the weed fields. Improved focus on melee fighting, with starting gear including sickle. 75 trophies. Mercenaries has been revised into a farmer's market Sim.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
oh and one more thing,

Maybe some typewriter ink ribbon microstransaction? 1.99 US dollar per ink ribbon

1.99 us dollar per ink ribbon
19.99 us dollar 40 ink ribbon (great deal!)
79.99 us dollars inf ink ribbon (best deal!)

You can loot ink ribbon from zombie corpses but it is a legendary drop (0.2% chances)

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Open world is hardly ever the answer.

Maybe if devs could focus on what matters... but inevitably they waste 90% of their resources on modeling the world and then very little effort goes into missions.

But hey, I guess if you want a padded out/bloated RE game then sure whatever.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think if RE9 ends up being shall we say a TPS Metroidvania kind of game I'd be all for it. Hopefully with RE1 atmosphere. That would be great instead of corridor shooter with easy puzzles.

I see lots of companies say Open World and not understand what Open World means.

Last edited:

sendit

-first person open world
-crafting system

etc....
Sounds like my type of game.