• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUST 514: Uprising 1.0 Patch Notes

Do they ever intend to patch in some sort of tiering system? The patch notes are nice and all, but I'm still getting matched with people with prototype or whatever gear while I'm still running around with militia stuff.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The impressions sound great, its amazing what one patch will do. The DL took me about 20 minutes yesterday but and IIRC they even improved the start up menu. Cant wait to try it out when I get home.

We'll probably need a proper OT for the release on the 14th and I've been considering giving it a go myself if there's nobody else who wants to step up. It's quite obvious that GAF hasn't got a particularly large Dust following, so I'd want to make the thread accessible to anyone who hasn't heard of, or had a proper look at Dust before. Naturally, I'm trying to decide on a good thread title first:

Dust 514 |OT| First Person Spreadsheets / Dust 514 |OT| FPS spreadsheet simulator
Dust 514 |OT| From dust to dust bunnies / Dust 514 |OT| From dust to wallet / Dust 514 |OT| From dust to ISK
Dust 514 |OT| EVE Online's dirty little secret
Dust 514 |OT| The economic shooter
Dust 514 |OT| Use free stuff to kill other players and cost them real money
Dust 514 |OT| You don't need to pay to win

Some of them are better than others, but I'd like to know which would be most appropriate and it'll be great if anybody else can suggest some potential thread titles.

In terms of thread content I'll probably start off with a short description of what the game is like. The most simple description I can think of is that the gameplay is generally a mixture of Halo and Battlefield, although if anybody has better comparisons then I'd like to know. I'll need to explain about the gear based warfare and how almost everything destroyed has a cost associated (the most important part of the game for me personally).

I'll need to talk about some of the basics for playing the game. This includes allocating skill points effectively for various classes, and what gear or loadouts to use. I'll add a bit about the game types and what hacking is used for (vehicles, installations and objectives). Also, it sounds like people have had difficulty understanding how to use equipment such as nano injectors, so I might need to touch on that.

A few other things that need to be included in the OT:

• Who CCP are, what EVE online is and how Dust is linked
  • Basic plot stuff linked to gameplay, such as clones and the transferal of consciousness
  • Screenshots, videos, other available media such as dev blogs etc.
  • Planetary conquest and corporations. I don't know if NeoGAF's corp is still going, but I could add details about how to join it, or how to squad up with other GAF members via the in-game channels
Finally It's probably a good idea to add an FAQ at the end, so if anybody has any questions themselves, or have ones which might be useful for new players, then let me know.

wildfire

Banned
Love the "first person spreadsheet" but I suspect it would be a bit too off-putting for others.
Heart says use that.
Gut says use economic shooter.
Brain says why not "Accountants Dominate the Kill/Death Charts"

I'm sort of partial to 'The economic shooter' right now, but keep the suggestions coming! I think the general custom is to put official threads up a week before release, so I'll try to get it ready by next Monday. That's unless anybody else wants to take the reigns, because you'd be very welcome to.

STG

tried it yesterday with mouse and keyboard, works fine for me, I enjoy that game

I also searched for "neogaf" in the corporation thingy and applied, dunno what the benefits are (if I ever get into that corp)

The Light

I'm trying to figure out how I want to spec my logi. I know want to go the medic route, but also thinking of adding a lil anti-armor as well.

pants

Was going to play yesterday but then I was hit by in client patching. One would think this would have been a thing of the past by now

waypoetic

Banned
Downloaded the game and the patch and... Did i miss something? 'Cus this looks as bad as it did a couple of months ago.

Tried it last night for a couple of hours.

It's still a slow, shitty Killzone/Battlefield clone with dumb RPG/EVE aspects rolled into the character customization.

Add to that the fact that no one in my matches bothered communicating and it pretty much just turned into the most half-assed death match shootbang space marine FPS imaginable.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How about Dust 514 |OT| Over 7000 Planets to Die On.

Dust 514 |OT| Has anyone really been far even as decided to play even go want to do beta more like?

waypoetic said:
Downloaded the game and the patch and... Did i miss something? 'Cus this looks as bad as it did a couple of months ago.

Nope. Game still sucks, game still looks bad. So, no, you haven't missed anything.

CCP is in for a rude awakening when the game drops "beta" on the 14th and they expect people to just wade through these issues.

Sorral

I'm sort of partial to 'The economic shooter' right now, but keep the suggestions coming! I think the general custom is to put official threads up a week before release, so I'll try to get it ready by next Monday. That's unless anybody else wants to take the reigns, because you'd be very welcome to.

You're working on it? I was going to try and see if I can make one this weekend. My last final is tomorrow, so I will be free right after.

Keasar

How are the KB/M controls in this game? any mouse lag?

My experience after testing a few rounds, terrible. Its floaty as hell and it felt like trying to aim a gun through thick syrup. Doesn't help that the only other option is the PS3 controller which is in my opinion the worst controller for shooters there is.

I have really lost any excitement I had for this game. It builds more layers upon that which I don't like about modern FPS games anymore, needlessly complicated character customization and perk unlocking. I wanted to play with heavy machine guns but then I realized I have to play for god knows how many hours until I get to. The gameplay felt sluggish, shooting someone took forever until they were felled while a sniper somewhere could constantly one-shot me, I am still not sure if it is balanced at all, looking around me I got the same feeling I get from trying PVP in MMOs, everyone has better crap than me and its a futile battle to try and fight them.

You're working on it? I was going to try and see if I can make one this weekend. My last final is tomorrow, so I will be free right after.
I've not started anything yet, but I'll now probably have time later on today and it could be ready for tomorrow. The only reason I've been considering making it is due to the lack of support for Dust on NeoGAF and I just want to see it done to justice.

My experience after testing a few rounds, terrible. Its floaty as hell and it felt like trying to aim a gun through thick syrup.
This will most likely be improved. Something got badly messed up with the controls for both KB/M and controller this build. The experience with KB/M was supposed to be a lot better before Uprising was released.

My experience after testing a few rounds, terrible. Its floaty as hell and it felt like trying to aim a gun through thick syrup. Doesn't help that the only other option is the PS3 controller which is in my opinion the worst controller for shooters there is.

I have really lost any excitement I had for this game. It builds more layers upon that which I don't like about modern FPS games anymore, needlessly complicated character customization and perk unlocking. I wanted to play with heavy machine guns but then I realized I have to play for god knows how many hours until I get to. The gameplay felt sluggish, shooting someone took forever until they were felled while a sniper somewhere could constantly one-shot me, I am still not sure if it is balanced at all, looking around me I got the same feeling I get from trying PVP in MMOs, everyone has better crap than me and its a futile battle to try and fight them.

A recent writeup I've done about the game: http://www.warpdriveactive.com/2013/05/08/the-monster-dust-514-uprising-review/

I share your view on the controls. They're a VAST improvement on the initial beta though, if you can believe it. The one thing to keep in mind with DUST is that your control of guns improves as your character's skills do. By default you can almost barely control an assault rifle, and take forever to reload it. If you apply skill points to specialize, things tighten up significantly.

That *does* take some investment in time though.

To be honest it's a fucking miracle the sniper shot you, he's probably using mouse and keyboard. I could never snipe properly in DUST due to the controller, there was no real ability to finesse a shot at all.

pants

Played a few rounds, I dont like whatever it is they did to control sensitivity. I'll be adjusting that as much as possible today then try to get stuck in.

Sorral

Played a few rounds, I dont like whatever it is they did to control sensitivity. I'll be adjusting that as much as possible today then try to get stuck in.

I got to try it earlier. Something is screwed up with the controls as they feel floaty now. FPS is kinda fixed, but still room for improvement. I guess at least it doesn't dip like with the older build.

Good news for new players on 14th May:
On Tuesday 14th of May we will be enabling a special instant battle queue for new players called the Instant Battle Academy. Entry to these battles will be limited by total war points earned per character and will prevent older players from joining. New players will not be presented with the existing instant battle queues however they can join a squad with veteran players and be pulled into other battles. Faction warfare and planetary conquest battles will also still be available to new players.

This is a first step at improving the new player experience. We are also working on a vastly improved matchmaking system which is designed to better separate players based on their actual skill level instead of just isolating new players. We will hopefully be rolling that out in an expansion later this year.
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=75463

Also, regarding drone survival, it's already up and running on internal builds. I reckon there's a good chance of it being the main feature in the next build, 6 months from now.

You see how big of an update this was? Now consider than CCP plans to do about 2 of these every year for 10 years (yes it will one day move beyond the PS3), absolutely free.

I'm glad a lot more people are liking this game but it's really a lot more fun with people to communicate with who know what they're doing. Honestly had a strong distaste for Dust in closed beta when I first tried it but after taking time to understand it and get a few friends to squad up it became one of my favorite games of the generation. So that said, if anyone wants to squad up send me a friend request, Seventy_X_Seven.

pants

Got my ass absolutely handed to me post patch, didnt reinvest my skills yet ofc. Seems like a bad time to reapply skills with a rumoured fixing of skills coming round soon.

Got my ass absolutely handed to me post patch, didnt reinvest my skills yet ofc. Seems like a bad time to reapply skills with a rumoured fixing of skills coming round soon.
When the fixing of skills comes there will be an optional respec for anyone who submits a ticket.

SparkTR

So this is coming out today? Any major patch planned before launch? I've been playing it lately a train some more skills, but the game is not all that great (to put it lightly) even after the latest patches. I'll be interested to see how it reviews.

So this is coming out today? Any major patch planned before launch? I've been playing it lately a train some more skills, but the game is not all that great (to put it lightly) even after the latest patches. I'll be interested to see how it reviews.

Game is releasing with some new weapons today and the introduction of planetary conquest as new features. Aside from that it's getting some very much needed hotfixes from the original release of uprising and some matchmaking changes to separate people from those who've acquired significantly more SP than them.

Needless to say the game and the community had some "issues" with the release of Uprising.

You should definitely try it again now that they separated the new players from the guys who have accrued a ton of skill points.

pants

yeah just patched now, will try later

Aiming seems to be fixed, Scrambler Rifle seems awesome. I'm extremely happy with the update.

I can't wait until Thursday as well when the Planetary Conquest battles start. It was insane today, all the districts got filled up in about 5 minutes.

So the game looks better now?
Massively. The engine's been vastly improved since the initial beta launch. I still find the framerate's low, which really fucks you up when using a mouse and keyboard, but at least it's more consistent now than it was before.

androvsky

The game looks better due to the vastly improved lighting (and there might be a few tufts of grass here and there), but overall most of the textures are still kinda sad. The UI is hugely improved performance-wise, still a bit complicated for first-time users.

I was having serious issues with the controls post update, but I found that everyone else on the Dust forums was too. Apparently aim-assist was buggy or something, it was patched pretty fast. Then I checked my control settings and discovered not only was auto-aim still off from when it was buggy six months ago, but the sensitivity now works completely differently. Actually got a few kills over the weekend in my usual militia gear after fixing all that.

Sorral

I've not started anything yet, but I'll now probably have time later on today and it could be ready for tomorrow. The only reason I've been considering making it is due to the lack of support for Dust on NeoGAF and I just want to see it done to justice.

This will most likely be improved. Something got badly messed up with the controls for both KB/M and controller this build. The experience with KB/M was supposed to be a lot better before Uprising was released.

I only got free from all my college work today instead of a week ago. I don't think anyone else worked on anything for the OT either.

I gotta recheck the game since the aiming appears to be patched now.

The game looks better due to the vastly improved lighting (and there might be a few tufts of grass here and there), but overall most of the textures are still kinda sad. The UI is hugely improved performance-wise, still a bit complicated for first-time users.

I was having serious issues with the controls post update, but I found that everyone else on the Dust forums was too. Apparently aim-assist was buggy or something, it was patched pretty fast. Then I checked my control settings and discovered not only was auto-aim still off from when it was buggy six months ago, but the sensitivity now works completely differently. Actually got a few kills over the weekend in my usual militia gear after fixing all that.
Assuming you're using a controller, try cranking the x-axis sensitivity to max. If you're on mouse and keyboard, you're in for a hard time. For some reason they lower your turning rate if you're holding down aim.

Really fucks you up if you're trying to track someone while they're moving laterally.

I only got free from all my college work today instead of a week ago. I don't think anyone else worked on anything for the OT either.

I gotta recheck the game since the aiming appears to be patched now.
If you want to make the OT then please do. I posted earlier in the thread about the kinds of things it should be covering, but it might be a good idea to keep it short and sweet. As an ever evolving game, a lot of the information could be redundant a year from now.

It might be a good idea to flesh out the game mechanics with links to various tutorials and dev blogs. Planetary conquest, for example, would require an essay to properly explain how it works. A short description about it being a special gamemode for corporations to fight and take over planets would probably suffice for the OT. More detailed information about how how it works can be presented with a link to a dev blog and the wiki. It might be worth adding a link to the future tv commercial somewhere, it's pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahThsZmR2Q

I've thought more about the thread title as well and I think it should emphasise the free to play aspect eg. Dust 514 |OT| Conquer the galaxy for free

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I tried this in beta but didn't have a clue what was going on, just downloaded it off the store now and have to wait through what seems like 2-3GB of patches, did I end up downloading an old beta version instead of the new released version of did they make a terrible decision in wanting people to play it but making them wait while they download some big patches.

Setsuna

So I tried this in beta but didn't have a clue what was going on, just downloaded it off the store now and have to wait through what seems like 2-3GB of patches, did I end up downloading an old beta version instead of the new released version of did they make a terrible decision in wanting people to play it but making them wait while they download some big patches.

they patched the game a few times since release

also has anyone played the new 5 capture point map that takes place over 3 major structures with a bridge in the middle its much larger than all the other maps

got chased by 2 dropships and got trapped under the bridge for 3 minutes before they gave up i have never been more afraid than that in this game

they patched the game a few times since release

also has anyone played the new 5 capture point map that takes place over 3 major structures with a bridge in the middle its much larger than all the other maps

got chased by 2 dropships and got trapped under the bridge for 3 minutes before they gave up i have never been more afraid than that in this game
And that's the joy of this game, since you are actually buying each suit (with in-game money) you really value each life and stuff like this can happen.

Oh and I'm quite enjoying the Plasma Cannon/SMG combo. The cannon is a bit trickier than your ordinary rockets but still great fun.

Akainu

And that's the joy of this game, since you are actually buying each suit (with in-game money) you really value each life and stuff like this can happen.

Oh and I'm quite enjoying the Plasma Cannon/SMG combo. The cannon is a bit trickier than your ordinary rockets but still great fun.
Does that only work on vehicles?

Top Bottom