• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Update 3.0 Announced: Multiple Fixes Coming

King Dazzar

People just jumped on the negative bandwagon with this one.
You seriously believe that? The game was and still is rough. Why would you want this to be perceived as something better than it is? If you want quality games, then it needs to be called out. I'd be extremely concerned as an XSX owner if this wasn't berated as much it was. Even Phil said he was disappointed and they need to be doing better. Which is good that the Xbox team at least realise that and want to do better. Why wouldn't you want them to do better too? The stick at launch was 100% deserved.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You seriously believe that? The game was and still is rough. Why would you want this to be perceived as something better than it is? If you want quality games, then it needs to be called out. I'd be extremely concerned as an XSX owner if this wasn't berated as much it was. Even Phil said he was disappointed and they need to be doing better. Which is good that the Xbox team at least realise that and want to do better. Why wouldn't you want them to do better too? The stick at launch was 100% deserved.

Who said anything about wanting it to be perceived as anything other than what it is. However, when the conversation about anything consists almost entirely of people mindlessly following the herd with no personal experience at all, that's just about the definition of a bandwagon. LOL

King Dazzar

Who said anything about wanting it to be perceived as anything other than what it is. However, when the conversation about anything consists almost entirely of people mindlessly following the herd with no personal experience at all, that's just about the definition of a bandwagon. LOL
Well, for someone who doesn't want the perception changed, you're very keen to point out how the overwhelmingly massive negative consensus. Is some how flawed, or over exaggerated. Its not. I think if we were debating Halo Infintes Campaign or something like that. I'd understand the debate. But for me Redfail is objectively, fundamentally flawed. Its not great, its not even good, its poor.

But hey, to each their own. And if you genuinely enjoy it, more power to you. I'm glad the Xbox team didn't share your view. I'd hate Redfail to be the new norm from Xbox. Thankfully, I dont believe it is. I believe much better games are still to come.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Well, for someone who doesn't want the perception changed, you're very keen to point out how the overwhelmingly massive negative consensus. Is some how flawed, or over exaggerated. Its not. I think if we were debating Halo Infintes Campaign or something like that. I'd understand the debate. But for me Redfail is objectively, fundamentally flawed. Its not great, its not even good, its poor.

But hey, to each their own. And if you genuinely enjoy it, more power to you. I'm glad the Xbox team didn't share your view. I'd hate Redfail to be the new norm from Xbox. Thankfully, I dont believe it is. I believe much better games are still to come.

I was more pointing out the fact that the "consensus" from players that put some time into the game and those blindly parroting what they've heard without much, or any, personal experience can be different. You can see that even in this thread and the OT thread. It isn't a great game, this studio can do better, but it isn't the worst game ever created either. Everyone is certainly free to have differing opinions on it, I just don't put much value in opinions that admittedly have little experience behind them (essentially opinions by proxy).

Everyone is guilty of just looking at a few reviews and/or watching a meme video of carefully curated glitches and forming an opinion from it, I've certainly done it. But that isn't necessarily an accurate gauge of anything.

Last edited:

RoboEight

The game was ok but nothing really stood out pretty casual. I finished the game and felt like it was ok but not something I would wanna go back and play again there isn't really anything interesting to go back and explore plus after you move to the second area you can't go back to the first which was not the best idea for post game. I felt like there is a good base and honestly it's a neat concept but like it was just a shallow experience. I feel like if this was just a straight forward single player focused game it would have been much better, there is really no need to have weapon drops and loot and I would rather of had set weapons that you could upgrade and work on throughout the game.

Last edited:
The game was ok but nothing really stood out pretty casual. I finished the game and felt like it was ok but not something I would wanna go back and play again there isn't really anything interesting to go back and explore plus after you move to the second area you can't go back to the first which was not the best idea for post game. I felt like there is a good base and honestly it's a neat concept but like it was just a shallow experience. I feel like if this was just a straight forward single player focused game it would have been much better, there is really no need to have weapon drops and loot and I would rather of had set weapons that you could upgrade and work on throughout the game.
yep. this's redfall, folks. well said...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No long term replayability. Finish it once or twice and you'll probably have your fill. It's actually a semi decent game, especially if you like open world FPSs. It has a few creepy spots here and there and some decent boss battles.

I’ve been playing it to earn my Rewards points, and I’ve been having a good time with it.
It’s no masterpiece, but there’s some fun to be had.

twilo99

What was the problem with this game? Is it fixable or is it a fundamental fuck up?

I think most games can be fixed with updates, that is, if the core game is good to begin with, but if that's not there.. there is nothing to save

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What was the problem with this game? Is it fixable or is it a fundamental fuck up?

I think most games can be fixed with updates, that is, if the core game is good to begin with, but if that's not there.. there is nothing to save

I didn’t play it until it was already “fixed”, but previously you could run around for minutes at a time without seeing a single enemy. Now there’s cultists and vampires populating the map.

AI was extremely dumb, where now they’ll at least notice you and investigate. Shoot an enemy within earshot of others and they’ll be alert and check the area.

Those are off the top of my head. I think unfinished graphics were one, but honestly it’s one of the nicest open world suburban maps I’ve seen.

Last edited:
I'll give it a whirl eventually, but between BG3, Rogue Trader, Starfield once the Creation Kit comes out + official DLC, finally getting around to Cyberpunk, and a half-dozen smaller games I'm fairly interested in Redfall is far down the list in my backlog.
I Am You Leah GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Between BG3 and Rogue Trader, you'll have more game than time. I still haven't beat BG3 yet and I have RE4, Alan Wake 2, Dead Space, Alien: Dark Descent and then CP77 DLC.... And I really want to play Rogue Trader as I've been so heavy into 40k lore these last few months....

simpatico

The map is really good, so if they can spruce up the gameplay it would be worth playing. Considering picking it up at the ultra low Steam sale price. Played day 1 gamepass and it was pretty brutal.

sendit

The map is really good, so if they can spruce up the gameplay it would be worth playing. Considering picking it up at the ultra low Steam sale price. Played day 1 gamepass and it was pretty brutal.
Played day 1 on Gamepass. Game is horrible from every aspect. I would pay Microsoft to not have it show up on my account.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They've practically done a complete 180 on the game since launch. More can be improved but anyone who played at launch versus who play it now will have a completely different experience.

Roberts

I finished it a few months ago. Probably a 6.5/10 game (would have been 7/10 if it only had one map) but weirdly enough, every time I see this thread here, I'm compelled to install it again and play it, if only for a while. I don't even know why, maybe because it has such an awesome setting.

They've practically done a complete 180 on the game since launch. More can be improved but anyone who played at launch versus who play it now will have a completely different experience.
Ok, but how many times do we need to go through this? Why are so many games released in what basically amounts to beta states? If I buy a game, it should be done and ready for me to play, period. I shouldn't have to wait for years, like a No Man's Sky, for it to he good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, but how many times do we need to go through this? Why are so many games released in what basically amounts to beta states? If I buy a game, it should be done and ready for me to play, period. I shouldn't have to wait for years, like a No Man's Sky, for it to he good.

That's a broader industry issue, games take long time to make, publishers often put deadlines on developers to have something out by X time in lieu of bonuses etc, so they can bolster the financials and appease shareholders.

Unfortunately there's no catch-all to fix it.

Fabieter

If you use Gamepass I really don't think there is much to complain about given the price of entry vs. buying the Game flatout. I'm curious to see how Starfield will pan out when it gets mod support. Like at worst you paid $30 for Early Access via Gamepass...which not terrible for what you get.

However. Redfall thus far is underwhelming and not worth playing and I think if the devs are serious they need to go radio silent and overhaul this game into something better.

Ironically I think Robocop is better then both in terms of fun factor and length.

Price of entry doesnt mean its flawless wtf. There are dozens of reasons to be critical about actual f2p games where you dont have to pay anything. I hope outlets sont think like that and give it better scores because of gamepass that would be aweful.

Reactions: GHG

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Price of entry doesnt mean its flawless wtf. There are dozens of reasons to be critical about actual f2p games where you dont have to pay anything. I hope outlets sont think like that and give it better scores because of gamepass that would be aweful.
Most F2P games are trash because they are F2P and house predatory practices to wring you out of all your money. You can find some great examples on the mobile market. Most reviewers or media outlets tend to review the games based on the games themselves unless they are corporate shills and were paid off to either promote a game or drive it into the dirt.

From a pure gaming perspective though if the price of entry for a $70 game is low then I find more often then not it's money well spent. Getting a $70 purchase for $20 or less is a lot more acceptable if an otherwise garbage game turns out to be a lot of fun.

3rd rule of Acquisition clearly states that when making an acquisition never pay more then you have to.

Never said Starfield was flawless. I personally had a lot of fun with it and will be replaying once the DLC expansion releases in 2024. But the game is very flawed in a few areas.

Although I do find the Starfield hate bandwagon quite amusing. On the other hand Starfield devs having kneejerk reactions to mixed reception isn't good either.

Fabieter

Most F2P games are trash because they are F2P and house predatory practices to wring you out of all your money. You can find some great examples on the mobile market. Most reviewers or media outlets tend to review the games based on the games themselves unless they are corporate shills and were paid off to either promote a game or drive it into the dirt.

From a pure gaming perspective though if the price of entry for a $70 game is low then I find more often then not it's money well spent. Getting a $70 purchase for $20 or less is a lot more acceptable if an otherwise garbage game turns out to be a lot of fun.

3rd rule of Acquisition clearly states that when making an acquisition never pay more then you have to.

Never said Starfield was flawless. I personally had a lot of fun with it and will be replaying once the DLC expansion releases in 2024. But the game is very flawed in a few areas.

Although I do find the Starfield hate bandwagon quite amusing. On the other hand Starfield devs having kneejerk reactions to mixed reception isn't good either.

A garbage game still costs my time no matter the price of entry and i would rather do something else than playing videogames if the alternative is playing a cheap garbage game.

Rule of thumb for aquisitions if something id cheaper as it should you are the product. A game on gamepass should never see excuses but reading alot of reviws thats infact the case which is ridiculous.

StereoVsn

I Am You Leah GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Between BG3 and Rogue Trader, you'll have more game than time. I still haven't beat BG3 yet and I have RE4, Alan Wake 2, Dead Space, Alien: Dark Descent and then CP77 DLC.... And I really want to play Rogue Trader as I've been so heavy into 40k lore these last few months....
Yep, and there are more good games in my backlog with more being released.

Frankly it’s hard to be even “just” a “good” game now days not to mention mediocre. There are too many bangers coming out every week.

Wasting say 30 hours in Redfall just seems way too pointless even if it got patched up.

That said I might buy that GameStop copy for $5 if they still have it to put it on my shelf, lol. It will sit right next to the $3 copy of Anthem! 😁

Top Bottom