• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwarf Fortress release date for steam 06/12/22

Interfectum

That date formatting...
team america vomit GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Fucking finally! This sure took it's time.

I've never played DF, but after having a lot of fun with RimWorld I thought it'd be cool to try this one out.

GladiusFrog

This game is going to consume my life, Played the free version with custom tile sets and fell in love.

I don't think there is a simulated world this deep and detailed in existence. TAKE MY MONEY, SO I CAN UNLEASH THE HORRORS OF THE DEEP APON THE LANDS. (Then set out to slay them in adventure mode with my humanoid Frog knight)

dwarf-fortress-ironguestvc.gif

Zug

Dwarf fortress without ASCII graphics ? What kind of casual thing is this ? What's next, pad support ?

PhoenixTank

Fantastic news. I struggled to get past the old UI and controls but this should be accessible enough for me.
This game is the Granddaddy of RimWorld and other simulations for anyone who likes that kind of thing too.

Possibly a good a place as any to plug Kruggsmash:

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve been eyeing this and rimjob world to try.

Unsure if I’d like either…

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This is coming out in less than 24 hours! Who's gonna dive in?

Never played it before but had a lot of fun messing around in RimWorld, so I'm really curious to see how this one plays. Apparently it's much more complex not only in it's mechanics, but also when it comes to simulating a real world, which sounds very cool.
A bit sad about this release not including Adventure Mode from the get go, but I guess Fort Mode will be enough diversion until they decide to include it.

I'll probably be getting this on Steam, just to support the game. Think it's also free on their website, including the new graphics, right?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This is coming out in less than 24 hours! Who's gonna dive in?

Never played it before but had a lot of fun messing around in RimWorld, so I'm really curious to see how this one plays. Apparently it's much more complex not only in it's mechanics, but also when it comes to simulating a real world, which sounds very cool.
A bit sad about this release not including Adventure Mode from the get go, but I guess Fort Mode will be enough diversion until they decide to include it.

I'll probably be getting this on Steam, just to support the game. Think it's also free on their website, including the new graphics, right?
No, the free version will not contain the new art, but it will receive a bit of a UI overhaul.

Here's a video that goes over some of the differences:

But yes, I'm extremely excited to dive in tomorrow and I'm really hopeful that they have a good launch.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Out now for $30
Bought a few moments ago and already generated my first world. I loved Rimworld but in the end it was a bit boring imo, could use some more complexity and variety, which I hope this title has.

Oh, and so far the music they've put in this version is great.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I'm having a noob issue: My fort is full of shit, like gems and stones lying around everywhere. How can I get rid of that? I've already set up a hauling area for those kind of materials, but my dwarfs don't seem to bother with carrying them.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Anyone play on Steam Deck without a ton of remapping? Looking to get it but not if it's a keyboard only game. (seems like it would be)

Fools idol

Banned
there is a yuuuuuge gap in the market to clone this game and give it some absolutely beautiful graphics and UI improvements.

The formula is there for an amazing game, but the visuals are an enormous accessibility barrier... I much prefer Factorio and Rimworld which are not quite as good, but better for ways I mentioned.

Trilobit

Gold Member
If I was ever locked into a tower for a hundred years and only able to play one game I think I'd put in the time to learn this one.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm having a noob issue: My fort is full of shit, like gems and stones lying around everywhere. How can I get rid of that? I've already set up a hauling area for those kind of materials, but my dwarfs don't seem to bother with carrying them.
Do you have your stockpiles set up and assigned appropriately? You should also be able to assign dwarfs to that task as well called "hauling" unless they've changed that job name.

I'm just anxiously waiting for my work day to end so I can dive in :)

TintoConCasera

Do you have your stockpiles set up and assigned appropriately? You should also be able to assign dwarfs to that task as well called "hauling" unless they've changed that job name.

I'm just anxiously waiting for my work day to end so I can dive in :)
Yeah I do. I think I was missing wheelbarrows? Or maybe the stockpile didn't have any wheelbarrow assigned to it... not sure, but it seems to be working now. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Having a lot of fun figuring this game out. Already restarted a few times but I think my current fort will be my first, serious one.

Edit: survived a year. Nothing too crazy happened, aside from my stone worker having a tantrum and carving a statue on his owm which I sold for a fortune... Nice!

Don't have any goals for now, so I equipped a squad with weapons and some armor and started digging deep. Wonder what'll happen, probably nothing good.

Last edited:

Corian33

Finally, time to dive back in. Been waiting since they announced this. No other game can quite scratch the itch that DF scratches. Rimworld, Factorio, and so on are great in their own ways, but DF really is something special.

Fools idol

Banned
it takes absolutely forever to learn all of the interconnected systems in this game. As a veteran of stuff like this, I only recommend it if you are willing to put 20-30 hours into tutorials and trial and error to really understand how everything works. Some will definitely not find that 'fun'. But once that curve is over and you get into the swing of things it's the kind of game where entire weekends can dissappear without sleep or food.

killatopak

Gold Member
My brain hurts... I know it’ll be worth it but learning the game just drains me.

Last time I felt this way was learning how Crusader Kings work. Like having a hundred hour playtime and still watching tutorial vids on youtube.

Top Bottom