• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwarf Fortress release date for steam 06/12/22

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I love rimworld, whats the learning curve of this game?
https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F04%2Fcastle-black-the-wall-game-of-thrones.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey so a got my fort up and running, about 100 dwarfs and plentiful resources, and even some militia.
What should I fear? It's been 4 years and nothing dangerous has happened aside for some minor breakdowns. Should I prepare in any particular way for any possible future dangers?

EDIT: Had to face a forgotten beast, a raid of goblins and also some snatchers trying to steal my kids! They all got obliterated by my squad of master dwarfs, they had no chance.

Also, this fella showed up at my tavern. Guess undead goblins are hard to impress.

zDDKK4l.png

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I want to but I fall off these types of games quickly. It's something I think I would rather watch on YT.
Have you played any similar game? It's not really that hard to learn if you have some experience with games like Rimworld.

Game's not for everyone tho. At times it's more about enjoying the simulation rather than actually playing.

People call some modern games "movie games" because the lack of interactivity. I guess we could call Dwarf Fortress a "book game" since most of the fun comes from reading the stuff that happens and having the imgination to enjoy it, just like with a book.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Have you played any similar game? It's not really that hard to learn if you have some experience with games like Rimworld.

Game's not for everyone tho. At times it's more about enjoying the simulation rather than actually playing.

People call some modern games "movie games" because the lack of interactivity. I guess we could call Dwarf Fortress a "book game" since most of the fun comes from reading the stuff that happens and having the imgination to enjoy it, just like with a book.
I got bored of Rimworld after 11 hours. Oxygen Not Included went better at 22 hours.

PhoenixTank

Is nobody playing this? I thought you guys were cool.

Lj8sItX.gif
I couldn't get my head around the controls in the ASCII version when I looked at it a few years back. Bought the fancy Steam UI version day 1 to support but particularly swamped this time of year and don't have much time to learn & play beyond a few snippets of tutorial vids.
One of those things that needs a decently sized chunk of time invested at once to help the mechanics stick, I feel.

TintoConCasera

I got bored of Rimworld after 11 hours. Oxygen Not Included went better at 22 hours.
Maybe those games just aren't really for you? Which probably is a good thing, since they are an absolute time sink. :goog_relieved:

I couldn't get my head around the controls in the ASCII version when I looked at it a few years back. Bought the fancy Steam UI version day 1 to support but particularly swamped this time of year and don't have much time to learn & play beyond a few snippets of tutorial vids.
One of those things that needs a decently sized chunk of time invested at once to help the mechanics stick, I feel.
That's probably the case, yup. I've played for about 25 hours already and I still have a lot to learn, not to mention things to discover.

If the game has proper mod support, and it ends up getting Adventure Mode sooner rather than later, then I can see myself spending hundreds of hours on this.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I've started a cozy fort in a mountain with a snowy pine forest and small (mostly frozen) river out front. I'm about 3 years in everything is going well. We recently got a big wave of migrants which doubled my population to over 40.

The game is so much more accessible now. I might go back to ascii when it's ready though. The new sprites are glorious, but I like having to use my imagination. It's just the workshops I have trouble identifying in ascii.

I need to learn how to assign weapons to my military next. And also get into metal production. So far we haven't been attacked even though we are pretty close to a goblin settlement.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've started a cozy fort in a mountain with a snowy pine forest and small (mostly frozen) river out front. I'm about 3 years in everything is going well. We recently got a big wave of migrants which doubled my population to over 40.

The game is so much more accessible now. I might go back to ascii when it's ready though. The new sprites are glorious, but I like having to use my imagination. It's just the workshops I have trouble identifying in ascii.

I need to learn how to assign weapons to my military next. And also get into metal production. So far we haven't been attacked even though we are pretty close to a goblin settlement.
Yeah, I prefer the ASCII as well. Glad they have the graphics option though.

I love rimworld, whats the learning curve of this game?
The appeal is that the game isn't TRYING to kill you, it is just a normal world with dangers. In Rimworld there is a DM who keep throwing challenges at you to keep you on your toes, while the threats in Rimworld would just show up one day by chance and not because the game is mean.

In Rimworld, the game is your enemy. In Dwarf Fortress, the game barely care you exist and will kill you by accident. DF does have the Fame mechanic that do mean you get the attention of forces of darkness once you get too successful, but the evil forces aren't spawned from nowhere. They have their own fortresses out there.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The appeal is that the game isn't TRYING to kill you, it is just a normal world with dangers. In Rimworld there is a DM who keep throwing challenges at you to keep you on your toes, while the threats in Rimworld would just show up one day by chance and not because the game is mean.

In Rimworld, the game is your enemy. In Dwarf Fortress, the game barely care you exist and will kill you by accident. DF does have the Fame mechanic that do mean you get the attention of forces of darkness once you get too successful, but the evil forces aren't spawned from nowhere. They have their own fortresses out there.
sounds great, guess i'll give it a try

Outlier

I played for a few hours. I regret purchasing this.

It's a micromanager simulator. I DO NOT have patience for games like this. If I can't get the dwarfs to automate themselves, then the gam will NEVER be enjoyable for me.

TL;DR: Not an ounce of fun had...

TintoConCasera

I played for a few hours. I regret purchasing this.

It's a micromanager simulator. I DO NOT have patience for games like this. If I can't get the dwarfs to automate themselves, then the gam will NEVER be enjoyable for me.

TL;DR: Not an ounce of fun had...
But you can automate your dwarves bro. Did you assigned a manager?

Outlier

But you can automate your dwarves bro. Did you assigned a manager?
Thank you. I know the tutorial mentions assigning dwarves for special positions, but it wasn't clear to me exactly the effect it would have.
I just get so overwhelmed by trying to get the basics set up and how fast the game speed is.

I'll give it more effort.

TintoConCasera

Thank you. I know the tutorial mentions assigning dwarves for special positions, but it wasn't clear to me exactly the effect it would have.
I just get so overwhelmed by trying to get the basics set up and how fast the game speed is.

Yeah game speed was a problem for me too. I hope they implement slower speeds, at least for combat so we can see what's actually happening.

Once you have a manager assigned from the Nobles & Administrators menu, you should be able to set up tasks that can be checked daily, weekley, monthly, etc, and they will be taken care of based on X criteria (for example, make 10 beds daily if number of available tables is lower than 20)

The game can be paused at any time, if the game speed was an issue for you.

Fools idol

Banned
Game is still to this day one of the finest and most hilarious story tellers in gaming. This weekend I had a dwarf that while a recruit defended against a small force of goblins riding cave crocs etc. His squad was wiped out, many civilians died, and he got his lower arm ripped off by a cave croc. After staggering away and passing out from blood loss, he seemed done for.

But as the goblins and crocs turned their attention to killing civilians, he recovered and rejoined the fight, using his one good arm and his teeth. The next major fight was after he had become pretty skilled, wielding a battle axe in his only hand. A goblin weapon master (can't remember the type) killed several of his squad, and fought him 1 on 1 in an epic duel, cutting off the upper part of his stumpy arm by sheer coincidence. Not bothered by the loss of an already useless limb, he struck his opponent down and was off to the hospital yet again.

The next battle was a huge siege, to which pretty much everyone and everything outside got decimated except for this one dwarf... he led the charge out of the fortress, slaughtering the goblins left and right. But I think due to his lack of a shield, he constantly got stunlocked from being knocked down and parrying, and he could barely get a hit off against groups of large goblins. Eventually, he is brought down and a war bat manages to break his wrist. At this point he is in serious trouble, with group of goblins attacking him and war animals wrestling him. I was stoned and drunk while playing this time around so was laughing hysterically at my screen while this madness went down. Due to his armor commissioned for his heroism, most of the blows just bounced off but it was no help against wrestling attacks. Every joint in his body was locked, snapped and otherwise mutilated.

Most of my military had been decimated and I had no real reserves to send out as a rescue party so my guy was literally fucked, and the heroic dwarf is slowly beaten / twisted into a bloody pulp.... 🤣🤣🤣 and then just as I am literally saying to my wife 'this guy is done for, finally'.... he doesn't die. Red on every remaining body part, he refuses to die somehow.. The leader of my marksdwarf squad manages to get sent out with seconds to spare and performs a slow and painful rescue attempt as the remaining goblin force retreats. Eventually he is brought inside, and despite his horrific injuries he is treated and back on his feet in almost no time at all, being comprised more of stints and silk thread than muscle and bone. Eventually I decided to use dfhack to take control of him and go on an advenure. The first night in the wild im ambushed by bogeymen. I cut the first one in half, its torso goes sailing through the air and arcs back striking the dwarf in the head, jamming skull through brain and killing him instantly.

I couldn't believe that after all that, after the odds he survived, he died such a ridiculous death. This fucking game man. Rofl.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Game is still to this day one of the finest and most hilarious story tellers in gaming. This weekend I had a dwarf that while a recruit defended against a small force of goblins riding cave crocs etc. His squad was wiped out, many civilians died, and he got his lower arm ripped off by a cave croc. After staggering away and passing out from blood loss, he seemed done for.

But as the goblins and crocs turned their attention to killing civilians, he recovered and rejoined the fight, using his one good arm and his teeth. The next major fight was after he had become pretty skilled, wielding a battle axe in his only hand. A goblin weapon master (can't remember the type) killed several of his squad, and fought him 1 on 1 in an epic duel, cutting off the upper part of his stumpy arm by sheer coincidence. Not bothered by the loss of an already useless limb, he struck his opponent down and was off to the hospital yet again.

The next battle was a huge siege, to which pretty much everyone and everything outside got decimated except for this one dwarf... he led the charge out of the fortress, slaughtering the goblins left and right. But I think due to his lack of a shield, he constantly got stunlocked from being knocked down and parrying, and he could barely get a hit off against groups of large goblins. Eventually, he is brought down and a war bat manages to break his wrist. At this point he is in serious trouble, with group of goblins attacking him and war animals wrestling him. I was stoned and drunk while playing this time around so was laughing hysterically at my screen while this madness went down. Due to his armor commissioned for his heroism, most of the blows just bounced off but it was no help against wrestling attacks. Every joint in his body was locked, snapped and otherwise mutilated.

Most of my military had been decimated and I had no real reserves to send out as a rescue party so my guy was literally fucked, and the heroic dwarf is slowly beaten / twisted into a bloody pulp.... 🤣🤣🤣 and then just as I am literally saying to my wife 'this guy is done for, finally'.... he doesn't die. Red on every remaining body part, he refuses to die somehow.. The leader of my marksdwarf squad manages to get sent out with seconds to spare and performs a slow and painful rescue attempt as the remaining goblin force retreats. Eventually he is brought inside, and despite his horrific injuries he is treated and back on his feet in almost no time at all, being comprised more of stints and silk thread than muscle and bone. Eventually I decided to use dfhack to take control of him and go on an advenure. The first night in the wild im ambushed by bogeymen. I cut the first one in half, its torso goes sailing through the air and arcs back striking the dwarf in the head, jamming skull through brain and killing him instantly.

I couldn't believe that after all that, after the odds he survived, he died such a ridiculous death. This fucking game man. Rofl.
This dude would be King Dwarf, legendary hero had you not taken over. You literally have his blood on your hands.

Goddamnit I wish I could get into this game. Incredible. Thanks for sharing, you cold blood murderer.

Fools idol

Banned
go fuck yourself :messenger_tears_of_joy:
it isn't that bad truthfully. It just is a lot of systems to understand, a lot to take in.

There are many complex interconnected things going on at once, and its easy to get focused on one thing and neglect 10 others, which is what the game is designed to do.. you can never truly master the game, because there is so much going on and you only have a few things to dedicate attention and focus at a time.

To further echo what others have said in this thread.. My recommendation as someone who has played Dwaf Fortress for 15 + years, basically since release.... Just try Rimworld.

Rimworld first is the best option because it takes the good core gameplay elements of DF but trims and slims down a lot of the more complex systems and makes it a more accessible game. The beauty of the chaos is there, but its a lot more managable. The depth is just enough to be as engaging as DF, though no where near as deep most players wont care much.

If you really love Rimworld after you try it, then the next level is to try DF. Dwarf Fortress tells the story of your fortress and the deep intricate layers of what running it is like, Rimworld is the story of the fate of individual colonists with most of those systems stremlined and automated for the most part.

Tarn and Zach Adams are really great guys and you can tell with every moment of gameplay on DF that it is someones lifes work and they put a lot of care into the system. I am very happy for them getting rich finaly after all these years. It's the way it was meant to be. This is one of the very rare gem games which exists entirely within it's own niche, and free from any publisher our outside influences what soever. The two dudes who made the game called all the shots, made a very hard and complex game the way they wanted to make it and the result is marvellous. Every colony sim game has tried and failed to capture the magic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom