• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2021: do you think Microsoft will announce its own "soulslike"?

Will Microsoft announce its own "soulslike" game?

• Yes, they will

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 55 79.7%
  • What's a "soulslike"?

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

Castef

Banned
At about 24 hours from the Microsoft E3 conference do you think that, among the various announcements, a "soulslike" game will be announced for Xbox?

I can really see Microsoft giving a shot to this genre.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

Castef

Banned
This is so random, like youre just throwing things out there. I dont see anything that suggests this. I dont even think Bloodborne moved like Sony expected it to.
Yep, in fact Sony never thought about launching its new console along with the father of all soulslike games.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
At about 24 hours from the Microsoft E3 conference do you think that, among the various announcements, a "soulslike" game will be announced for Xbox?

I can really see Microsoft giving a shot to this genre.
Why "soulslike" as opposed to any other style of game?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Don’t they have an advertising deal for Elden Ring? Just let the masters work. Nothing comes close.

Last edited:

Codes 208

They’re more likely to buy marketing rights like they did with dark souls 3, sekiro and elden ring

Last edited:

elliot5

I would love to see a soulsborne action game without guns from The Coalition as their new IP. They can do linear and open world really well and I'm sure they can do melee combat just fine, or get some pointers from Ninja Theory on that front.

Zannegan

Eh, I think something like a Halo Battle Royale is much more likely. While I'd rather play any other genre myself, it's much bigger than souls. Tis trending yet.

Still, it's possible.

Why? Are there rumors to that effect?

Codes 208

Hopefully not. Souls games are released on Xbox/PC already we don't need more of them
Bloodborne and demon souls are not available on either of those platforms (yet, hopefully)
I really think vast majority of developers don't understand soulsborne genre. They will make, ironically, a game without soul.
Pretty much. While the surge 2 isn’t bad, the first game completely missed the point of being a souls-like.

Last edited:

tony19957

Neo Member
If you havent already noticed, Microsoft's first party games tend to be casual friendly and favour accessibility over hardcoreness. Soulslike is a popular yet niche genre when it comes to total game market. For example, just look at the sales difference in Demons Souls remake and Miles Morales, the sales of DS is not even close to Miles Morales as MM is still topping sales chart while DS is nowhere to be seen. Soulslike would attract hardcore fromsoft fans like me but it would not do much to attract the casual crowd, the types who want an easy mode and it goes against Microsoft's strategy of making gaming more accessible. So TL;DR, don't ever expect a proper Soulslike from an Xbox first party studio, not atleast without accessibility options like difficulty modes kinda like Jedi Fallen Order

ZywyPL

Banned
Nah. Elden Ring is coming, there was Ashen previously, so maybe few years after ER ships they'll think about something Souls-like. It's a niche genre after all, so I don't think they'll want to make many of those.

Codes 208

without Miyazaki they just arent souls games
There’s no reason why they couldn’t get a second party game from FROM like Sony did for demon souls and bloodborne. MS did get marketing rights to Dark souls 3, sekiro and elden ring so it at least seems they’re on good terms with FROM

Yep, in fact Sony never thought about launching its new console along with the father of all soulslike games.
Thats a remake. I expect a PS5 remake instead of a sequel of Bloodborne. Cheap. Demon Souls remake is the perfect launch title. It has a narrower but very dedicated fanbase.
moved as in sold? it sold more than 2 mil in the US alone according to Zuhge
Thats disappointing. Compared to all of Sony‘s other franchises. Not that it wasnt profitable. Otherside it would of had a sequel already.

skit_data

Don’t they have an advertising deal for Elden Ring? Just let the masters work. Nothing comes close.
I thought they had some kind of marketing deal but since the new trailer released on Summer Games Fest without any direct association to Xbox I think it was just Bandai Namco that chose to reveal the first trailer on an Xbox event rather than any actual marketing agreement between the two. Otherwise the new trailer would’ve been tomorrow on Xbox + Bethesdas event.

kretos

Banned
Thats disappointing. Compared to all of Sony‘s other franchises. Not that it wasnt profitable. Otherside it would of had a sequel already.

compared to other Sony blockbusters yeah, but compared to other souls games that's really good, WW might be another 2-3 mil so 5 mil for a souls game is good, not to mention souls games have a big market on pc and BB was PS4 exclusive

noise36

Hope not , the souls games suck, to hard and inaccessible to the vast majority of gamers. Would prefer the money and effort was spent of something else.

intbal

They already have their own. They just need to add them to the BC program.

otogiseries.png

CitizenZ

Banned
Didnt they have that frog game that released and died the same day of release? Even after all that begging for years to make "another one"?

treemk

Banned

If Bloodborne was Microsofts they would try to pump them out every 2 years until From wanted nothing to do with them and then they would build a B tier studio to keep going. They milk all of their IPs to death and until proven otherwise I dont give a fuck what they buy, outside of being saddened that the IPs I like have 1-2 good games left.

Kagey K

Banned
Thank fuck they didn't. They don't need to copy other shit. They need to do thier own thing, and they did.

intbal

They are exceptional games, especially the second one.

But they are not "soulslike" in any way.

(still... bring back Otogi, please)

I can't agree with the bold part, since they ARE "soulslike" in precisely one way.
They were developed by FromSoftware.

Top Bottom