• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports vs. ESPN/2K Sports, LTD numbers

bdoughty

Banned
DMczaf said:
Too bad the running back stuff is there for all difficulty settings, which was just one of the the reasons our NFL2K5 league bombed after like 2 weeks. :lol

Just watch the Madden video I posted a few hudred times and hopefully the spell with be broken. There is NO way a lineman would outrun the D on the harder levels on 2K but arguing Madden/2K with you is like beating a bottle of elmers glue for once being part of dead horse.

PULL THE GOGGLES AWAY FROM THE EYEBALLS.

I REPEAT PULL THE GOGGLES AWAY FROM THE EYEBALLS.

DMczaf

bdoughty said:
Just watch the Madden video I posted a few hudred times and hopefully the spell with be broken. There is NO way a lineman would outrun the D on the harder levels on 2K but arguing Madden/2K with you is like beating a bottle of elmers glue for once being part of dead horse.

PULL THE GOGGLES AWAY FROM THE EYEBALLS.

I REPEAT PULL THE GOGGLES AWAY FROM THE EYEBALLS.

Thats just another point, why the hell is Roaf outrunning anyone in any difficulty? :lol

bdoughty

Banned
DMczaf said:
Thats just another point, why the hell is Roaf outrunning anyone in any difficulty? :lol

He was really fast in a former life. Plus lets not forget a MNF game a few years ago where a certain Cowboy OL outran (I think it was the Saint D). Last year there was the OL from Troy St who out ran the Missou D for the TD so it is possible.

What I do not recall was the NFL putting rear view mirrors in the players helmets (cough)McNabb(cough) and that if you point to DB or LB they will automatically change course and run south (cough) Vick (/cough).

Gregory

Banned
Too bad the 2K series are virtually non-existant in Europe. Plus the bastards took full price for the 2K5 series of games when they finally released them here. 4-5 months after the US.

TheDuce22

Banned
you again? mr. i-run-for-80-yards-on-one-drive-with-josh-mccown? dude you proved it yourself which game is bigger garbage. you say high level of play is more broken in madden, what do you define as high level of play? official tournament videos? did you happen to see the official NFL 2k5 tournament video? it was a fucking joke. and how did the tournament winner justify his play? "if he can't stop the run it's not my problem." Newsflash asshole: ALL YOU DID WAS HIT Y Y Y Y Y!

p.s. i sure do love elitest NFL 2k fans who think their opinion is fact

You dont see me trolling madden in every football related thread. I just get tired of all the shit Espn2k5 gets from certian people when its actually a very good game and on par with anything EA has put out. Its not perfect, neither is madden.

:lol that video they made of madden is a joke.

1. if all you have on madden is that the "qb doesn't face the way he's throwing!" that is pretty funny.

2. uh, i have seen warrick dunn blow up CB's in blitz protection in real life. he did it to ricky manning jr. when the falcons and panthers played that classic last year on SNF

3. what is so amazing about dante hall burning past brian dawkins? hall is one of the fastest players in the league. if you are saying he is dirty in madden then you are correct, but if they are implying that its amazing he could burn a safety 1 on 1 that is ridiculous

you are correct though. madden vs. nfl 2kx is a pointless argument. im not sure how i always get baited into it. hopefully the memory of nfl 2kx will fade into oblivion!

bdoughty

Banned
you are correct though. madden vs. nfl 2kx is a pointless argument. im not sure how i always get baited into it. hopefully the memory of nfl 2kx will fade into oblivion!

That is the one thing that came to mind as a positive when the NFL Deal took place. Hey no more Madden vs 2K battles. Unfortuantely we tend to forget the long memories of the Sega Fan/EA Hater. They will nitpick Madden to death to the point where Gameday would sound good in comparison. Games die, fanboys live forever.

bdoughty

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Oy vey, you've got to be f'n kidding me. I admitted I mis-read the graph in my reply to you and explained why. I'll try again. PES sold over 2 million in Europe during Konami's fiscal according to the graph shown (which you cant even seem to find for some reason, let alone interpret). It did BETTER in Europe than it did in Japan. Europe is responsible for roughly 2/3rds of total units sold. Underdog my hiney.

Try reading a little slower next time.

Well this comes from EA's Quarter 3 Results.

Globally, FIFA 2005 sold more than 4.5 million copies. And that is only through Quarter 3. Figure in that EA sells little to nothing in Japan and soccer sells poorly here, we can be rest assured that Fifa is beating WE in Europe pretty easily. I would imagine they are near the 5 to 5.5 million range but hate to guess. The EA Annual stockholder meeting and webcast is Thursday. I am sure we could find out more then.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/88/88189/reports/Q3FY05Script.pdf

Again feel free to admit you were wrong, that EA and it's piss poor soccer game is the devil and PS2 owners flock to it like stink on shit. Never fear Underdog is here!

I kid because I care. You do not have to admit you are wrong, your loyalty to the PS2 and the masses are enough for me.

----------------------------

Oh and I did find the Q4 call

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/88/88189/reports/Q4FY05ScriptFINAL5305.pdf

FIFA 2005 – we estimate – remains the number one European football title. FIFA Street in its inaugural year has gone platinum in Europe as of today and was the number one title in the UK for 4 out of the past 8 weeks on the PS2.

Fifty

I just watched the madden video on putfile....it's funny that shit is the best they can come up with. The madden haters should step it up. Even I, a huge madden fan, know that the game has real flaws and the video didn't show them. Wow, he's not looking at the guy he hits....big deal. The animations in Madden hardly ever screw you over like they did in 2K. You can't just throw deep passes all day in madden and hope the DB will go for a slo-mo animation. Oh well, it's a moot point now.

bdoughty said:
Well this comes from EA's Quarter 3 Results.

Globally, FIFA 2005 sold more than 4.5 million copies.

Again feel free to admit you were wrong, that EA and it's piss poor soccer game is the devil and PS2 owners flock to it like stink on shit. Never fear Underdog is here!

Am I driving you nuts? :lol

Um, Globally. Thats the entire planet last I checked. FIFA cleans up in North and South America, this is known. And thats counting total GBA, Gamecube (both unsupported by Konami) as well as PC and Xbox sales. All I said was PES surpassed FIFA in Europe on the main platform, the PS2. I forget where it was reported so I cant verify it, and perhaps it was BS and I would indeed be very very wrong. But this fiscal report doesn't exactly disqualify that either. It actually isnt very detailed at all.

Roughly 2.5 million is a signifcant chunk of the Euro market share for Konami any way you put it. *shrugs*

Beyond that my original point was WE/PES makes a shit load of money so stop acting like its being kept down by the Man from Redwood. Savvy?

FIFA is a piece of shit compared to WE though, that much we can agree on.

bdoughty said:
Oh and I did find the Q4 call

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/88/88189/reports/Q4FY05ScriptFINAL5305.pdf

FIFA 2005 – we estimate – remains the number one European football title. FIFA Street in its inaugural year has gone platinum in Europe as of today and was the number one title in the UK for 4 out of the past 8 weeks on the PS2.

"We estimate"? I love that. EA cant stand how well PES has gained in Europe over the last three years. Its the only real competition they have and once Konami gets full license its game over.

bdoughty said:
your loyalty to the PS2 and the masses are enough for me.

*rolls eyes* You keep fighting the good fight buddy.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
FrenchMovieTheme:
contrary to popular belief, there is still a userbase for a football game created by visual concepts, whether it has the NFL logo on it or not.
Not a big enough market to spend the kind of resources it takes to deliver an ambitious and polished product. VC didn't have nearly the manpower as EA to develop and QA their game even back when they could sell to the officially licensed NFL demographic.

These sports games should be developed like Sega does with the VF series...hand in hand with the high level gamers, who are let into the development process early on. Way too many flaws just shows these games aren't polished for high level player like they should be.

Fifa 2005 *isnt* pisspoor.... its not as good as PES but I bet most of you jokers havent even gave it a proper chance. Its pretty good game of football, especially if you dont play it with thick PES-goggles on. I can understand why "casuals" like it.

I should have known this would turn into a war of "my game is better than your game" type of thread. I was hoping for other keen observations from the numbers, what do they say about the future, if anything? Does the fact that 2K's games sell better or as well as EA's games on the Xbox mean they have a leg up on the Xbox360 or is the point moot because there will be no other football game than Madden, and that's what really matters? How much of 2K's share will Madden get this year? How much of EA's share will MLB get next year? How about some informed predictions from some of you so-called experts?

Andokuky

Banned
I'm sure a big reason why VC's game sold so well on Xbox was because most of their games were built from the ground up for Xbox and ported to to PS2, while EA games were made on PS2 and barely spruced up a bit on Xbox.

Top Bottom