• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports WRC - Official Launch Trailer - Out Oct. 31st for XB/PS5/PC for preorders

Kruza

This is a heads-up notice to alert that the version 1.4.0 update for WRC is released, and I'm downloading this 8.55 GB update to my system as I type this message.

Buggy Loop

• Implemented a number of additional PSO shader caches across all cars to help reduce stuttering.
  • Implemented a number of additional PSO shader caches related to trackside collisions, to help reduce stuttering.
  • Implemented a number of additional PSO shader caches related to spray and kick-up, to help reduce stuttering.

Reports of peoples crashing now with the update and STILL MOTHERFUCKING STUTTERS

angry the lord of the rings GIF

Don't "reduce" stuttering you dumb fucks, REMOVE it! It seems they are looking in every goddamn ways to play with their shader caches EXCEPT the solution we know works for this GARBAGE engine which is the shader compilation at the START of the game.

How did they even manage to get stuttering so bad on consoles which has no compilation to do, we might never know..

Last edited:
Probably be a rough update at that size. Last update took around 40 minutes to install on an SSD, only a few minutes of that was the actual download :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kruza

The occasional stutter action is still present after the version 1.4.0 patch update -- no doubt about it. At this point I'm just hoping this doesn't occur while I'm driving.

Kruza

Solberg vs. Solberg Time Trial battle!

Season 1 ends in a few hours. I'm looking forward to the next season of Moments!

Last edited:
The occasional stutter action is still present after the version 1.4.0 patch update -- no doubt about it. At this point I'm just hoping this doesn't occur while I'm driving.

The game is a disappointing mess as far as I am concerned. The stutters are still, unbelievably, there after four patches in the default build of the game and the only way I can eliminate 98% of them is by using Engine.INI tweaks which is a shocking state of affairs in my book. The game plays fine but visually the game is mediocre in my opinion with far too much pop in - again, some of it is reduced using Engine.INI tweaks which really shouldn't be necessary on the Ultra preset - and some weird glitches such as the way the car seems to hit the marshall at the end of every stage and then jerks back when the engine realises what has happened!

This is a game that showcases Codemasters inexperience with Unreal Engine 4, which in my opinion is a less than ideal fit for a racing game anyway due to the stuttering (even if you fix the shader stutter then you still have to contend with the traversal kind) and its age as the last version was 4.27 and it hasn't been updated in, I believe, over 18 months. They really should have delayed this game a year and switched to Unreal Engine 5 in my view, where they could use Nanite and Lumen to give the game a more impressive graphical presentation befitting of a game in late 2023/early 2024. As the game currently stands, I find it hard to believe that this couldn't run on the last gen Xbox One and PS4 albeit at 30 fps and a lower resolution as it is so visually uninspired. I actually think WRC Generations looks and plays better as I have been playing a lot of that inbetween (disappointing) bouts of EA Sports WRC.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
some weird glitches such as the way the car seems to hit the marshall at the end of every stage and then jerks back when the engine realises what has happened!

I wonder why they made it like that at the end of a stage. On the previous WRC games the stage ends instantly when you go over the finish line. EA WRC on the other hand, makes you carry on driving, except when you get somewhat near the marshalls, your car slows right down all by itself so you have your foot on the floor but are hardly moving. But if you stop, even a few feet away, the stage still doesn't end. Only when you keep your foot on the throttle and inch forwards to the point you hit the man, does it eventually end. Didn't they think this was stupid?

I wonder why they made it like that at the end of a stage. On the previous WRC games the stage ends instantly when you go over the finish line. EA WRC on the other hand, makes you carry on driving, except when you get somewhat near the marshalls, your car slows right down all by itself so you have your foot on the floor but are hardly moving. But if you stop, even a few feet away, the stage still doesn't end. Only when you keep your foot on the throttle and inch forwards to the point you hit the man, does it eventually end. Didn't they think this was stupid?

I suspect the game was rushed out to meet a tight deadline and the pre-Christmas market and that is why it was and still is in the state it is in. I don't blame Codemasters particularly, I suspect it is all on EA who have a poor track record of publishing/releasing polished games this year.

Kruza

This is a heads-up notice to alert that an 2.18 GB patch update for WRC is released as I type this message. I do not know what this update covers.

Kruza

Heads-up notice to alert that a 5.44 GB patch update for WRC is released as I type this message. I have no idea what this patch update covers.

Heads-up notice to alert that a 5.44 GB patch update for WRC is released as I type this message. I have no idea what this patch update covers.

More PSO shader compilation tweaks for the PC version which, unbelievably, was *still* stuttering months after release and after FOUR patches.

Maybe this will finally fix them, I'll be trying it shortly once the patch installs (it's taking ages despite the game being installed to a Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD), but I will not be holding my breath. It's an embarrassing first effort from Codemasters, a studio that has a history of releasing solid racing games that run well on PC, but the switch to Unreal Engine 4 clearly caught them out. What's worse is that Unreal Engine 4 is hardly new at this point so you would think that developers would be well versed in how to code for it at this point, including shader compilation steps for PC!

Last edited:

Skifi28

I don't know what else the update fixes, but there's now finally proper dualsense support. Before that, I couldn't feel absolutely anything.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I was super hyped for this up to release but have been holding off.

I recently just took my wheel and pedals and put it away in the basement. Think my driving sim phase is over lol. I think if this game has launched stellar I would still be going but that’s not the case.

I’ll likely pick this up when it’s on deep sale and fixed to play on a pad. Think the only game I’d bust out the wheel for again is GT8 if it gets announced.

Buggy Loop

I just played a >30km long stage moment and it was butter smooth on PC. Not saying a frametime analyser would not pick up stutter but I didn't notice shit.

Still a massive slowdown in one of the Mediterranean stage, went quickly to check that one as its always the same corner that slows the game so much.

They still have work to do, but honestly, I'm playing this almost daily and I love it. If Codemaster keeps at it, It'll be fine.

Kruza

Today's 5.44 GB file update for WRC is officially noted as the version 1.5.1 patch.

I play on an Xbox Series X system. Stutters are still present, but occurrences are rare. The stutters happen mainly while going through menu screens. And I'm lucky to say that I've not seen any occur while driving.

Buggy Loop

Yea I came back to this thread to praise the variety of maps and cars in moments

I have 60 hours in so far and there’s stages and cars I still discover. It’s so good. I can never go back to Dirt Rally 2 after this, the stages are much better in WRC.

Kruza

Heh, it's almost like that Y2K scare all over again. Every other game can start on my Xbox Series X system without any issues except this one.

I guess we'll be revisiting this situation in four years. 🤷‍♂️

Kruza

Heads-up notice to alert that a 5.29 GB patch update for WRC is released as I type this message. I don't know what this patch update covers.

Yea I came back to this thread to praise the variety of maps and cars in moments

I have 60 hours in so far and there’s stages and cars I still discover. It’s so good. I can never go back to Dirt Rally 2 after this, the stages are much better in WRC.

I totally agree!

I haven't gone back to DiRT Rally 2.0 since WRC released, and don't have the slightest urge to return to this game anytime soon. The sheer variety of stages, cars and adjustable settings in WRC has won me over big time. And Moments mode is awesome! Can't say enough of how incredible this feature is.

Kruza

Heads-up notice to alert that a 7.09 GB patch update for WRC is released as I type this message. Season 4 is set to begin in a few days, so I have no idea what this particular patch update covers.

Top Bottom