• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Peter Moore: 'I'm not sure video game press conferences have a future.'

mocoworm

Click for full interview. It's pretty long.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-18-eas-peter-moore-im-not-sure-video-game-press-conferences-have-a-future

Ask anyone at this year's gamescom and they will probably agree - this year's show feels a little different. There have been a couple of new announcements, sure, but much of the offering here in Cologne feels a little familiar, a tad reheated.

Most notable is the lack of Gamescom press conferences. Sony is completely absent once again. Microsoft is here, although its low-key press meetup consisted of Aaron Greenberg climbing onto a podium to announce a couple of Xbox One S bundles.

Nintendo has no new Direct broadcast, while third-party publishers such as Ubisoft and Activision are content with simply getting the games they revealed at E3 out into the hands of the 500,000 eager visitors.

The lack of new announcements does not come as a total surprise - Gamescom 2016 takes place in an odd moment in time: after E3's annual information blowout but still too early to include this autumn's big console reveals of PS4K and NX.

But it also feels indicative of a wider move away from publishers talking directly to press, and towards companies targeting the "influencer" stars of social media and the gaming public themselves.

Nowhere was this change of focus more evident than EA's Gamescom event, which was broadcast online but was decidedly not a press conference in the traditional sense. Many who tuned in were expecting more than what we actually got - a meandering stroll of a stream mostly focused on FIFA and Battlefield - and it's fair to say we weren't too impressed.

Fast forward less than 24 hours from the company's public pow-wow and I find myself sat opposite EA's very own Peter Moore. He had read our livetext - and, of course, it wasn't what anyone would want to hear about their own event. But to be fair to Peter, and as a preface to the below since the internet and nuance can be difficult friends - our subsequent chat remained jovial throughout, and he treated the matter all in good sport and good spirits.

I can definitely see third parties dropping them soon. MS and Sony will likely continue holding events for the foreseeable future though.

Xater

When these companies started doing their own streams and using influencers this was a development you could see miles away.

If you are EA, sure

Sony and MS conferences for the past few years show they are still very relevant tho

But they don't need the press either. They could just do their own thing without any press there and it would have the same effect.

They're saying this because they can't get a grip on what actually makes a decent conference. Their E3 show was embarrassing but they don't want to admit it.

I sort of agree. You don't need like 4 press conferences throughout the year. Just do one at E3 or something for big news. The problem with EAs conferences is that they have a lot of filler and not much content. The BTS stuff is kind of lame compared to Sony conferences. Their last few conferences have been pretty amazing and this last one was just game, game, game, game. Pretty amazing. I thought the giant gameplay demos of Battlefield have been pretty fun. Kind of a glorious clusterfuck but fun to watch, see the game, see celebrities get pretend to care and some actually have a good time.

The problem with EA's conferences is EA, not the notion of conferences as a whole.

It's not like a digital EA event would be likely to be an improvement.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone should dump them. You get far more bang for your buck dealing with Youtube tastefluencers, bar none. It would be smart for all companies to stop, and instead focus on what they can host, on their own. General press conferences are dated and nearly worthless.

SirCrush

There will be fewer, further between them but pressers are here to stay. They'll probably just all be at E3 since everyone watches E3 on the internet anyways. And they're getting to be pretty spectacular too.

EA will likely also keep having pressers but they've developed a reputation of ho-hum presentations that gamers aren't that worried about misssing. They may just fall by the wayside themselves.

Kinyou

Maybe EA sees it that way, but doesn't the negative reaction to the stream show the exact opposite? People wanted a proper conference.

Btw. The ending of the interview is hilarious

Eurogamer: Final question.

PR: Is it about competitive gaming?

Eurogamer: Uhh...

Peter Moore: Go for it - what's your question?

Eurogamer: Do you still have that Halo tattoo?

Peter Moore: I still have it right here on my right arm.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I hope not. E3 really is like the Champions League finals or Super Bowl of video games for me.

Pure video seems far better as you don't have to cut to a stage for every so often. You can produce an edit, a quicker, more visually pleasing presentation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can definitely see third parties dropping them soon. MS and Sony will likely continue holding events for the foreseeable future though.

But why? He's right in that they're kinda pointless in an age where consumers can get the information directly from the publishers. MS and Sony could publish them on their blog (blog.us.playstation/Major Nelson) and nothing would be lost outside of money to make the conferences.

I'd rather the bigger publishing houses and manu's use these events to push Alpha's to the public to see what titles they should greenlight in the future, personally.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But why? He's right in that they're kinda pointless in an age where consumers can get the information directly from the publishers. MS and Sony could publish them on their blog (blog.us.playstation/Major Nelson) and nothing would be lost outside of money to make the conferences.

I'd rather the bigger publishing houses and manu's use these events to push Alpha's to the public to see what titles they should greenlight in the future, personally.

Absolutely.

Companies must be dying to get rid of these. They spend fortunes on these dumb conferences.
And yet the largest tech company in the world still centers much of their information release around them, the key difference is that they're smart and don't waste money on inane shitshows like EA.

Rather than them disappearing, I think the nature of conferences are going to change.

Look at this year's E3 Playstation conference. Roughly an hour of trailers with nearly no on-stage demo and a noticeable lack of indie game push.

I think companies are going to end up streamlining the conference structure more and more. It'll be less informal and casual in approach yet more direct to the players rather than the industry as a whole.

I don't really disagree with you. I'm much more in favor of pre-recorded video presentations with slick production values. I still think MS and Sony will hold press conferences for awhile longer though.

Griss

If you have a lot to show, a press conference lends pageantry and spectacle, and therefore the illusion of expense and 'value' to your games.

Sony's e3 conference this year was a good example of that. For everyone else, targeted online videos like Nintendo Directs are a better option.

I miss Nintendo Directs :(

Everyone should dump them. You get far more bang for your buck dealing with Youtube tastefluencers, bar none. It would be smart for all companies to stop, and instead focus on what they can host, on their own. General press conferences are dated and nearly worthless.

Last 2 Sony conferences wouldn't have been the same if it wasn't a live conference.

You can argue that having a live orchestra play God of War and Crash Bandicoot is a waste of money but damn if it doesn't make them look classy.

Jackpot

Banned
I don't think you need as many, and livestreams means they could be scaled down to a company hiring an auditorium.

However EA conferences only get nothing but bad publicity because they're shit.

Top Bottom