• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDF 6 first impressions

pramod

Banned
Well, not really first impressions since I've been playing this for about 2 weeks now. Only the Japanese version is available right now, but if you're a EDF fanatic like me you already know that and have already somehow managed to snag a copy.

Anyway I got the PS4 version and so far it seems like a decent upgrade over EDF 5. Graphics have improved a bit but I think you prob have to get the PS5 version to see the big improvements.

Anyways on with the impressions:
There's supposedly 150 missions. About 50% more than EDF5.
The missions switch between two "timelines". Apparently aliens have taken over the world after EDF5, and you get to play in that timeline, also in a "past" timeline.
In the future/present timeline there's much less soldiers helping you, and most of the cities have been destroyed.
The big change in the gameplay is that you can still get loot/armor even after failing a mission. The difficulty of the missions determines how much % of the loot you keep after failing.
It's also possible to find loot for other classes, and other classes get a percentage of the armor you find. Basically it helps make grinding a lot less painful.

A lot of the same enemies return, a lot of the missions are repeated from EDF5. There hasn't been a huge number of new enemies so far from what I've seen, the major new one being
the Martian squid aliens that have an annoying shield. The aliens in general seem a lot smarter and will more actively dodge attacks.

To compensate for the increased difficulty, Rangers/Wing Divers now can carry 2 weapon types plus a "special" weapon type.
Rangers can now summon turrets instead of the Air Raider.
So far the Air Raider seems to have gotten the biggest variety of new weapons. The major one being "drones" that will track and attack enemies. These are really fun to use.
Anyway, the Air Raider got a big buff. On the other hand the Wing Diver sucks ass now. I don't know why but the devs seem to be making
Wing Divers worse with every iteration of EDF.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.
Anyone else playing this?

Last edited:

Isa

Nice, normally I would have imported but lately I've been holding off save for certain circumstances, since the western release is not too far away. Has there even been an announcement for a western release yet? Anyway glad you're enjoying it. Shame about the Wing Diver as she's my main. Although the buff for the other guy sounds pretty cool. I'd still tough it though, I play characters that others would often poopoo since they aren't the most effective or meta just because I like their playstyle and especially design. Who's your favorite character/class so far? Is the game harder than the prior entries?

consoul

Thanks for the impressions pramod pramod ! Sounds good. Bought a used PS5 copy at Tsutaya Shibuya yesterday. Looking forward to playing it when I get home.

pramod

Banned
Nice, normally I would have imported but lately I've been holding off save for certain circumstances, since the western release is not too far away. Has there even been an announcement for a western release yet? Anyway glad you're enjoying it. Shame about the Wing Diver as she's my main. Although the buff for the other guy sounds pretty cool. I'd still tough it though, I play characters that others would often poopoo since they aren't the most effective or meta just because I like their playstyle and especially design. Who's your favorite character/class so far? Is the game harder than the prior entries?

So far I really like the Air Raider, just because of all the new awesome weapons he has. Ranger also seem a lot more flexible now, being able to summon turrets and lots of vehicles.
I've only played on Hard difficulty so far and have not unlocked Hardest/Inferno, so can't really comment yet on the REAL difficulty of the game. But I think some of the new enemy types have made the game more challenging, like the squid aliens.
There's also these new robot enemies that are fast, hard to hit, and can attack you from long distance.
Plus "walking bomb" type enemies that blow themselves up in a huge explosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Really hope this gets a western release date soon.

How is the fencer? It was barely usable in 4, but the changes they made in 5 turned it into a pretty fun class. Too bad they made wing diver worse though, that has always been my favorite.

G-Bus

Banned
I have always wanted to try one of these out. Not sure why I haven't yet.

Is it just mindless run and gun shooting giant bugs and what not?

Fe wvideos I've seen didn't make it seem like it has deep gameplay or anything like that.

Kacho

I have always wanted to try one of these out. Not sure why I haven't yet.

Is it just mindless run and gun shooting giant bugs and what not?

Fe wvideos I've seen didn't make it seem like it has deep gameplay or anything like that.
Yeah, its the gaming equivalent of a B movie, just like Dynasty Warriors. Load up, mindlessly kill stuff, upgrade, increase difficulty, etc. The gameplay may look dumb but it's a lot fun and you can sink an insane amount of hours.

I enjoyed what I played of EDF 3 and 4 back in the day, but as fun as they are the formula doesn't seem to have evolved much. The weapons seem mostly the same, the enemies mostly the same, and as cool as the environmental damage is, the levels seem mostly the same. I wish they would structure the game a little better. I know they tried several times to inject some more story with spin offs but they need to do something fresh to pull me back in. Otherwise it's starting to feel played out the way Dynasty Warriors was.

pramod

Banned
I enjoyed what I played of EDF 3 and 4 back in the day, but as fun as they are the formula doesn't seem to have evolved much. The weapons seem mostly the same, the enemies mostly the same, and as cool as the environmental damage is, the levels seem mostly the same. I wish they would structure the game a little better. I know they tried several times to inject some more story with spin offs but they need to do something fresh to pull me back in. Otherwise it's starting to feel played out the way Dynasty Warriors was.

There were big improvements between EDF 2017 -> 2025 -> 5, but I admit so far 6 just seems like a slight upgrade from EDF 5. Besides some new enemies and air raider weapons and slight gameplay improvements, I haven't seen a huge difference. It really does feel like EDF 5 Part 2.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Oh yeah also forgot to mention, healing items now heal all the NPCs around you not just yourself. Again this is just another small gameplay tweak.
NPCs seem to be also more useful now, so the key to winning a lot of missions is trying to keep your NPCs alive.

Last edited:

the_master

I had so much fun on the first EDF for the 360... It has never been that fun for me on the later installments, but I'd gladly give it another go.
I think that the sense of ridiculousness with the many possibilities and the mix between lame / great visuals gave the original edfs a special feel.
So, how does this one make you feel?

pramod

Banned
I had so much fun on the first EDF for the 360... It has never been that fun for me on the later installments, but I'd gladly give it another go.
I think that the sense of ridiculousness with the many possibilities and the mix between lame / great visuals gave the original edfs a special feel.
So, how does this one make you feel?

It's the same feel, it's still EDF, I mean it's pretty much just an upgraded EDF 5, the intro/menus/designs/etc all look identical.
Why didn't you find the other EDFs fun? The first 360 EDF only had the Ranger class, the later ones had 4 classes to choose from. It was a huge leap in gameplay.

Top Bottom