• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge issue 339 reviews (The Outer Worlds, Luigi's Mansion 3)

Bullet Club

QP5ztuo.jpg

The Outer Worlds - 8
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 7
Disco Elysium - 9
Afterparty - 5
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - 7
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint - 4
Indivisible - 6
KINE - 9
The Bradwell Conspiracy - 4
Inmost - 6
Felix the Reaper - 5
Neo Cab - 7
Pilgrims - 7
John Wick Hex - 6

Making Of... - Sunless Skies
Time Extend - Detention

There's a Games of the Decade feature of the defining games of the 2010s:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Broken Age
Dark Souls
Destiny
DOTA 2
Fortnite
Gone Home
GTA V
Minecraft
Spelunky
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Walking Dead

sublimit

Banned
Do we have an Edge issue 338 thread? I can't find one and i'm curious if they have reviewed Code Vein.

Bullet Club

Do we have an Edge issue 338 thread? I can't find one and i'm curious if they have reviewed Code Vein.
There is a 338 thread.

No Code Vein review in that issue though.

sublimit

Banned
Wasn't in 338.
There is a 338 thread.

No Code Vein review in that issue though.
Yeah i had even posted in that thread but i didn't remembered. Strange that they didn't review it though. I always find it more interesting to check a review after i have played and beat a game rather than before playing it.

Birdo

Banned
As someone who has been reading Edge since 1994, they have always been a little "Edgy".

However, it looks much worse these days because they are the last review site to use the full 10/10 scale. Where a 5 means mediocre, and a 7 is pretty good.

SweetShark

Oh no, Indivisible got a 6. This translate as Ok for me, but still after so much effort from the Devs I thought a better score...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Checking out Edge’s classic reviews lately, has been... illuminating.

6Rqb3P6.jpg

Also, they apparently gave Chrono Trigger a 7.

I genuinely think the entire history and identity of the mag is just to be game review edgelords.

Lol that's hilarious.

SweetShark

Don't think it's a list of the best games of the decade, it's a list of some of the most influential/defining games of the decade.

Ah, I see. Then I think I can see why Broken Age is in the list.
It is the game which literally made Kickstarter so popular after all.

Stuart360

It does say 'defining' games of the decade, not best. So you have like Dark Souls which brought about a whole new 'genre', same with Amnesia with the horror walking simulator style, Walking Dead wasnt the first of its kind but it was the first narrative style game to hit it big, etc. I would of had PUBG over Fortnite though, PUBG was the first to hit it huge, and Fortnite is free.

Stuart360

Fixed that for you.
Yeah thats true, but i think Demons Souls didnt sell that well, while Dark Souls did. I'd guess that why they went with Dark Souls. Plus it doesnt mean simply the first, but the first to have some kind of effect, which Dark Souls certainly did, not so much with Demon's Souls. Except eventually leading up to Dark Souls i suppose.

Kazza

Checking out Edge’s classic reviews lately, has been... illuminating.

6Rqb3P6.jpg

Also, they apparently gave Chrono Trigger a 7.

I genuinely think the entire history and identity of the mag is just to be game review edgelords.

But a 7 out of 10 in Edge means that it is a good game, so Doom and CT were judged as good games.

Fake

But a 7 out of 10 in Edge means that it is a good game, so Doom and CT were judged as good games.
You're too much into the score. Just read what is write... in a magazine. I can't imagine reading that. How can someone buy a magazine just for read the score number?

Imagine me giving a game 10/10, but in my review I write 'people who play games are nazi and I want to fuck and push the president red button and release a nuke'. Maybe this obsession with score made people blind somehow.

Last edited:

Kazza

You're too much into the score. Just read what is write... in a magazine. I can't imagine reading that. How can someone buy a magazine just for read the score number?

Imagine me giving a game 10/10, but in my review I write 'people who play games are nazi and I want to fuck and push the president red button and release a nuke'. Maybe this obsession with score made people blind somehow.

Haha, that bit about talking to the creatures is a bit stupid. It's like complaining about not being able to shoot people in Life is Strange. It would be interesting to read to whole review (any links?), but from that little snapshot they sound a little bored of the whole concept of FPS games, which is odd as they would have still been quite new and fresh in 1994.

m.i.s.

Banned
So it's not as amazing as all the youtubers with review copies provided by Nintendo are telling me? Well, I never.

The original LM was a holdover title for Super Mario Sunshine. It's like the game equivalent of the warm-up guy before the main act.

A nice filler with stunning lighting and fog effects but with limited conceptual and gameplay premise.

I never felt like it needed a sequel.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
So it's not as amazing as all the youtubers with review copies provided by Nintendo are telling me? Well, I never.
Looks way too cartoony and the structure seems really off. Luigi suddenly grabs his vaccuum from some lid on the side of a random truck (why the hell is it placed in such a weird spot?) and he doesn't react or question it. The game takes controls off from the player by often showing things when you enter rooms and ironically you have Luigi reacting to scares every other step instead instead of what he finds that are story related. Seriously, having him scream and jump several times per room gets old fast. It's a parody of Luigi's Mansion.

The ghosts are no threat, they just stand there waiting for you to suck 'em up. No challenge. Keys and items are often found where where they need to be used which is too simple and uninspiring.

Last edited:

Shrap

Gone home game of the decade? Fuck off. It defined nothing. Walking sims were already everywhere when it came out with its cliche ridden daytime TV lesbian story.

I wonder how many of those reviewed games were completed. :pie_thinking:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Gone home game of the decade? Fuck off. It defined nothing. Walking sims were already everywhere when it came out with its cliche ridden daytime TV lesbian story.

I wonder how many of those reviewed games were completed. :pie_thinking:

i like how their sequel was a pile of garbage that even their friends trashed.

SweetShark

I very much doubt it

Of course me neither believe Death Stranding is worst from Breaking point, but I will admit I find it very fascinating just cause a specific person who happened to review DS didn't like it, this whole situation happened.
Obviously I respect the opinion of the reviewer and very HYPE to read why he didn't finished the game.

ROMhack

Making Of... - Sunless Skies
Time Extend - Detention

Ooooo I might buy it for these. Anybody want scans if I do?

Top Bottom