• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring vets, help me get the bug

In a particular area, you're doing little more than scratch damage to mobs and bosses - do you......

• Persist at all costs. You will beat this section with your current level and gear

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Grind some levels by farming mobs and resetting the area's

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Google a cheese tactic for the section

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Grind some materials for upgrading your gear, this is more important

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Wander off and hope you find an easier area

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Other (post protip in thread)

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

simpatico

You keep coming back for a reason. Just keep taking new stabs at it and I bet it will eventually stick.

I wouldn't go in with any strategy. The wonder of Elden Ring is doing the "go anywhere that looks cool" and have it really pay off. You'll know if and when you need to grind. You'll have a weapon you like, have access to crafting mats, and be stuck at a boss or new area. Just zone out and go on an emergent adventure. It took me hours to beat Margit too, but the game gets easier as you get loot and gud skills.

Last edited:
dude, you need to be more specific. What areas are you having trouble with? What kind of build? pure melee? magic? If you are stuck in one area or find it too difficult, level up, upgrade your gear or explore other areas. Don't be afraid to experiment with different ashes of war. Use spirit ashes to help you fight bosses. If certain mobs are too difficult, just run.

It sounds like you are still in limgrave. Have you beaten Margit yet?

Fredrik

Don't be afraid to experiment with different ashes of war.
Yeah I beat Margit the first time using the jellyfish 🪼 Can barely understand it now but it fit my strategy at the time and I used it as a shield of sorts.

And don’t forget the cracked pots. A sleep pot can turn certain boss fights from seemingly impossible to easy peasy.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I can't believe no one said "gitgud". Souls community getting softer every year.

You can cheese it with magic or you can summon someone to fight for you(mimic tear or real player). You will adapt to it's gameplay at some point, and then you could draw your sword and kill every single one of those fckers(except Malenia) with it, like a real man.

ardian bujupi fight GIF by Sony Music Germany

IAmRei

Yeah that’s how I did it as well. Level up through exploration. I actually went in thinking I would never be able to finish this game, might not even beat the first boss, but I said to myself that I would try to enjoy it as much as I could.
And I struggled a lot, took me nearly 3 hours to beat Margit, same with Godrick. But after that I had learned most combat mechanics that I used for the rest of the playthrough.
Margit and godrick somehow can be called first test, and then after those bosses, we naturally will understand flow of the game. But those things are not as hard as homing cleave attack of that damn cat statue... After i gained knowledge with the game, in my NG+ i meet it again and killing it for revenge : )) still, most bosses can be defeated quicker (and relatively easier) if we know the game flow

Aion002

Just a few things for anyone stuck:

Don't fight the big dude in the golden armor on a horse at the beginning.

Magic = easier time.

Explore.

Don't go to Caelid (red area) at first, it's like starting the game on hell mode.

If you're stuck on a boss and you're frustrated, just summon other players.

Gitgud.... Really, learn the mechanics, you will die a lot, but that's fine, it's all part of the process. Find a weapon you enjoy, level up the stats the weapon needs, learn the enemies patterns and your favorite play style. Just enjoy the game.

If everything fails and you really want to finish the game, just play like a filthy casual and follow whatever exploit you can find on youtube... Have fun.

Last edited:
I'll probably get shit for this but I don't care. Play the game with a guide and use summons/spirits whenever possible. Who cares if the games is a bit easier? It certainly still isn't easy but It increases the chances of beating the enemy and better still, makes you feel like your 'getting it'. These guides don't make you win, they just help make the game a bit more approachable, which sounds like the issue you have.

I did this with Dark Souls and it helped me get to grips with both the mechanics and get me on my way to the next most appropriate area. It was also a blast because it helped me find better weapons and make a character build that was best suited to my play style.

I also did this with Elden Ring to some extent. Just to make sure I was heading the right direction as it's more open than traditional souls games.

Lux R7

get some levels and upgrade materials, use magic and/or bows.
Also as a general rule, if an enemy is clearly too strong for you and you are not the kind of guy that spends time learning all his patterns to fight it in a no-hit fashion, just avoid it and come back later.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I have this sitting here waiting to dive into properly. I fired it up a few times when it launched, got distracted and never went back. I'm not that far in and I don't think I've encountered even the first boss. I find Souls games hard generally - I have no problem admitting that. But with Elden Ring I just felt lost when I wandered into areas and mobs felt really tough. Like mini bosses.

So just curious as to what the strategies are. Do you guys just kill a bunch of mobs in an area like an MMO then force respawns until you have enough currency? Do you just throw yourself at it until you brute force your way through the area despite how many deaths you accumulate? Do you focus on gethering materials only for your gear?
Dont know what to say exactly to you... ER is the easier souls game by a freacking mile and a half ... that are just so many ways to "get help" from everything in this game.. it is basically designed for you to get help from summons and spirits .... my tip for you is maybe read some more about the game mechanics and summons/spirits, and what areas you can go first and have the more manageable enemies... is the first souls game you dont have to master the gameplay to a full or grind for levels because the game wants you to use the many "helps" it gives to you , also the materials for upgrade your weapons and magic are just everywhere.

Souls game are about learning patterns, timing and gameplay... ER is about learning what gimmick shit you have to use.

And if you didnt get it by now.. yes I hate this fucking game and I trully hope it dosent become souls standard going forward.. I hope Miyazaki just wanted to buy a yacht or something and made this mass appealing bullshit souls game.. and now can come back to doing real souls games.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I'll probably get shit for this but I don't care. Play the game with a guide and use summons/spirits whenever possible. Who cares if the games is a bit easier? It certainly still isn't easy but It increases the chances of beating the enemy and better still, makes you feel like your 'getting it'. These guides don't make you win, they just help make the game a bit more approachable, which sounds like the issue you have.

I did this with Dark Souls and it helped me get to grips with both the mechanics and get me on my way to the next most appropriate area. It was also a blast because it helped me find better weapons and make a character build that was best suited to my play style.

I also did this with Elden Ring to some extent. Just to make sure I was heading the right direction as it's more open than traditional souls games.
I was bullied by my worker friends because i'm using shield, but i dont care much either. I want to roleplaying as knight with shield, just like metal music cd cover when i was kid before. And each to their own, and thats including whatever our playstyle is, as long as it works, as long as we enjoy it. Ps: i'm also using guide, because i dontt want to get ending which i dont like or some small reasons.

Top Bottom