• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elvish language for Gollum is paid DLC

MMaRsu

Banned
https://www.pcgamer.com/gollum-dev-...had-to-train-voice-actors-in-how-to-speak-it/

pfc8ryokuVLZw4rNCWv3AS-1920-80.jpg.webp

Developer Daedalic Entertainment has belatedly explained why its upcoming The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, releasing on 25 May, has paid-for DLC that adds more Elvish to the game. As part of the game's pre-order campaign it's been offering the perfectly named 'Precious' special edition (opens in new tab), which comes with four extras that players of the standard edition will be able to buy as DLC. One of these is a voice-over expansion for the Elvish language Sindarin, which basically makes the elves speak more in their mother tongue while you wander this version of Middle-earth.

This game is making all the wrong moves lmao

I like weird shit and low budget games, but that picture is killing me lol.

I hope the game freezes you out from the controls and makes you forced slow-walk when the ring's influence gets too strong, with Sauron whispering DLC sales pitches to you in game. "Onlyyyyyy $9.99. We already have your credit card info .... just hit confirmmmmm. You know you want it. You know you neeeeeed it." Would really simulate the mental battle Smeagol is going through for the player.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Why the fuck would you spend so much time and effort on such a random niche function and then lock it away behind paid DLC?

Only a fraction of a fraction of your potential userbase is interested in this. Do it was fanservice or don't do it at all, you fucking dweebs.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Ive never though id see a dumber DLC than "Blood for the Blood God", but this is even dumber than having blood as a paid DLC. At least theres a lot of interest in that one compared to this.

Who will buy this bs?

Dead on Arrival: The game.

No one ever fucking wanted to play as Gollum when the LoTR verse has so many badass characters. Only way for me to play as Gollum was if this was super dark and gritty, with Gollum going on and backstabbing multiple figures along the story in the most despicable and gruesome way. Let it be VILE!

Kev Kev

There must be so few people out there willing to pay for something like this. It's utterly baffling that they would make this move. It only serves to make them look greedy or dumb.

kyussman

Could we have some dlc for a Gollum face that doesnt't look like.....that......I'd pay for it,lol.

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is different than other cosmetic items in many many other games? It's not like they make every real language paid DLC, just Elvish, something almost no one speaks and is just for the most dedicated fans. Would it be nice to have if you buy the game, sure, but so would be that infamous horse armor...

flying_sq

I get that this is milking the crazy people who are too obsessed over this IP, but is this going to be like horse armor again?

Cyberpunkd

Why the fuck would you spend so much time and effort on such a random niche function and then lock it away behind paid DLC?

Only a fraction of a fraction of your potential userbase is interested in this. Do it was fanservice or don't do it at all, you fucking dweebs.
This is the correct answer, where the fuck was business case for this feature lol

Top Bottom