• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group acquires Limited Run Games, Singtrix, Tuxedo Labs and more...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I love how they just bought up little by little random groups. But then groups with some great IP’s then great IP’s they are going for the European Disney angle here. But good luck managing all those IP’s sorry to say when money men get involved a lot of things get axed.

Robb

Gold Member
Which publishers have they bought?
4UAFOZL.jpg

Not sure about the publisher thing though, but maybe you can find some in there. This isn’t updated with the latest info though, I think it’s as of may 2022.

I have no idea how their/this system works. They produce games on the level of Midway, Acclaim, Jowood and old THQ, maybe excluding Gearbox, Eidos and Crystal Dynamics, and maybe Milestone, Saber, Volition (& someone I forget ???) are on the edge of finally reaching AAA, but so far not much actual blockbusters, nevertheless seem to have money to spent without limits and blowing themselves up like Crytek and Jowood in their best/worst days.

AA was not really destined to survive previous gens, what is different now?

Mithos

Damn do the Swedes have some secret oil fields or something ? Or are ABBA Gold sales just that good?
The "secret" is that people really don't know that many items they buy or services they use comes from Sweden, Swedish companies or are Swedish Inversions.

Last edited:
Seems less and less likely that any studio can survive being independent anymore. Having a mega-publisher for tons and tons of Indie/AA games is pretty interesting, hoping it works out because if not it could be catastrophic to tons of those smaller studios

Elysion

Banned
Wait, they bought the right to LotR outright, not just for games? That‘s pretty crazy. Where do they get the capital to buy all these IPs and studios, in addition to running all of them?

PhaseJump

Banned
Consolidation of the market...... people cheered this on not realizing what it meant.

As a consumer so far, it means serious money is being spent on pushing older games to be accessible on newer platforms. Until they go Disney Evil and start "vaulting" their libraries from customers, I'll just shrug off the potential loss of redundant publisher and marketing overhead.

El Muerto

Well, at least all these studios under Embracer Group will have more freedom to do what they want with more IPs than any other game company. Im glad they're snatching all these studios and IPs up before Tencent gets them so we dont have to worry about media getting censored to appease Winnie the Poo Jinping.

Amiga

Embracer acquired:
Tatsujin: Masahiro Yuge
Singtrix: "Best Home Karaoke Machine & Microphone System"
Bitwave Games: Pictoparty, Wunderling DX, Cow Dash
Gioteck: Wireless Gaming Controllers/Headsets
Tripwire Interactive: Killing Floor, Rising Storm, Maneater
Tuxedo Labs: Teardown
IP rights to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit literary works by J.R.R. Tolkien
"Another company within PC/Console Gaming"

Teardown devs is a big get, even just for their physics engine. they have potential to make the next Minecraft.

LotR rights is massive licensing deal. imagine Kingdom Come Deliverance devs making a game with the IP.

Singtrix and Gioteck means they have accessory plans.

with the massive amount of quantity they have Embracer can open their own digital store and start a subscription service. It would certainly have more value than EA's service right now.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
They don't even have movie studios and they are going to make big budget LOTR movies as their first project?

Amazon, Sony, Disney or WB didn't want the rights? I don't get it.

Not Funny No GIF

Last edited:
Seemed like a bunch of nothing until the lotr ip drop out of fucking left field.

Seems ok for the time being, seem to be pretty much a holding group and let everyone do their own thing, I'm extremely concerned that if a group (Amazon, Apple, Google, tencent) wanted to get an immediate foothold in the sphere, they'd sell

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
How do they get these amazingly cheap deals? If it's true they got everything including LotR in this buy for $600M plus the western division of Squeenix for $300M they are getting an awful lot of value and still under $1B. Something seems off to me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
4UAFOZL.jpg

Not sure about the publisher thing though, but maybe you can find some in there. This isn’t updated with the latest info though, I think it’s as of may 2022.

I love how all the Ubisoft studios are just "Ubisoft [City]".

Actually, no, I find it boring as fuck, those studios have no identity.

Lady Jane

Banned
I love how all the Ubisoft studios are just "Ubisoft [City]".

Actually, no, I find it boring as fuck, those studios have no identity.

That's the point. A modern corporate strategy is to rid of identity inside the workplace. The less creative thinking that goes on in the office, the more likely they will do as their told.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No it's not? "Swiss" means that something is from or is related to Switzerland. Not Sweden. Things from Sweden are "Swedish". Swiss banks are in Switzerland, not Sweden.
It's was supposed to be a joke, on how people get them both confused. I failed at the satire.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Thank God for my insane backlog. When the gaming singularity happens, I can start on the 50 unplayed ps345 games I have.

Tom Clancy's Animal Crossing

"Its not a parody, it's a prophecy!"

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They truly are an embracer group... everything that gets caught in their embrace becomes part of them

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Waiting for Microsoft to acquire them and rebrand them as the Extinguisher group. The Linux scene will shit themselves.

Top Bottom