• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group acquires Limited Run Games, Singtrix, Tuxedo Labs and more...

Regarding the deal, all I care about is Limited Run remaining alive long enough, so it can get around to doing a physical version of DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu. Otherwise, Embracer certainly has a ton of subsidiaries under its umbrella, and you just gotta wonder, if they can either grow larger at a fast-enough pace or sustain this size to avoid the eventual need of consolidating units and removing redundancy.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

According to Neogaf Microsoft will own the entire gaming industry.

But yeah Limited Run games is kind of big and the IP rights to LoTR and Hobbit works? Damn
Once Amazon is done destroying the Tolkein legacy no one will want to touch merchandise based off that version of LOTR/Hobbit. If they steer clear of games based on the Amazon show they might have a chance here.

Last edited:
Consolidation of the market...... people cheered this on not realizing what it meant.

Yeeep. Look at the US movie industry: The studios consolidated in Hollywood to the point where we are left with very, very few majors, battling it out as to wich will pour the most money into unoriginal crap and superheroes shit. The margin to innovate has shrunk considerably, and the scene might implode once the mutants and cosmic beings' shtick gets on peoples' nerves...especially with the rise of streaming platforms that bring problems of their own.

Last edited:

Surf Ninja

Coming this fall:

V4euoLL.png

nivix

Neo Member
Wait, are the LotR rights non-exclusive? Because Weta and Private Division just announced a game. Or maybe the rights are only for the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit material and don't exclude others from non-canon Middle Earth content like the Amazon show and this new Weta Workshop game.

Tams

i doubt Microsoft would buy Embracer. People seem to think Microsoft is going to buy any studio or IP out there just because they can.
Seems to be a lot of unknown/deadweight studio within Embracer. Too risky imo, not to mention the numbers of employees you need to manage, unless you plan to close down alot of underperform studios, which is bad for your company reputation.
Not to mention that Microsoft have an absolutely horrid reputation due to what they did to Nokia.

Yes, Nokia still exists as a successful company, but only in one sector, when they used to rule the mobilephone market.

Wait, are the LotR rights non-exclusive? Because Weta and Private Division just announced a game. Or maybe the rights are only for the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit material and don't exclude others from non-canon Middle Earth content like the Amazon show and this new Weta Workshop game.

They're probably just honoring existing contracts, and honestly, it'd surprise me if they kept the ip exclusive rather than license it out more willingly than we've previously seen

In a very quick time span, they own western Square Enix along with the ips, and literally everything besides the books lotr related, for less than a billion dollars combined.

Certainly spending their money wisely, god damn

EDIT: apparently only serialized television/movies that caps at 4, so they don't own the TV rights, probably why it wasn't more expensive

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Don't forget the Saudi royal family. They're buying up a lot of assets in the gaming space as well.

They have an 8.1% stake in Embracer stock already, 5% of Nintendo. 96% of SNK.

Not to mention that Microsoft have an absolutely horrid reputation due to what they did to Nokia.

Yes, Nokia still exists as a successful company, but only in one sector, when they used to rule the mobilephone market.

Microsoft has enough capital to survive turning heel and flaunting the worst reputation in the industry, but they won't. They're not stupid, or out to ruin everybody they put their money into.

People do not realize that the embracer ceo is like a bona-fide fan. As a hobby he's funding like the largest collection of videogames in the world, and they'll buy what they don't have: https://embracer.com/about/gamesarchive/
As a hobby? It's a public company, he has a legal obligation to make shareholders money lol

It's also just a holding company, is he also a bona-fide fan of the board games and comic books he's purchased?

Yeah, because the lotr IP has been well utilized before now outside of the movie sphere.

WHATEVER SHALL WE DO WITHOUT UPCOMING GAMES LIKE GOLLUM!
Didn't they buy all Tolkien's work in totality?

I'm not really concerned with video games regarding that. Although, I haven't fully played it, but Mordor seems promising, and the two towers/rotk on GameCube were fun.

Didn't they buy all Tolkien's work in totality?

I'm not really concerned with video games regarding that. Although, I haven't fully played it, but Mordor seems promising, and the two towers/rotk on GameCube were fun.

No, they have the rights to movies, television shows under 4 episodes (so not the Amazon series, important distinction), board games, amusement parks etc....

Basically everything besides television and the books

The fact that they (I would assume) can't base anything on the TV show is probably a blessing though lol, so basically they just can't write any new books or create new TV shows to my knowledge, though perhaps others can

As far as video games, the ip has been wildly mismanaged. This is THE fantasy ip, maybe they can treat it as such.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As a hobby? It's a public company, he has a legal obligation to make shareholders money lol

It's also just a holding company, is he also a bona-fide fan of the board games and comic books he's purchased?

I'm just saying that if you look at his personal trajectory, he doesn't have a standard mba, c-suite kind of background that's all.

And yeah the archive is a hobby, it's not even going to be monetized as the current plan is that it will only be accessible by researchers.

I'm just saying that if you look at his personal trajectory, he doesn't have a standard mba, c-suite kind of background that's all.

And yeah the archive is a hobby, it's not even going to be monetized as the current plan is that it will only be accessible by researchers.
Neither did bill gates, Paul Allen, Richard Branson, Mark zuckerberg, Jack dorsey, Steve Jobs

Means nothing, the guy didn't become a billionaire by putting consumers first lmao

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Neither did bill gates, Paul Allen, Richard Branson, Mark zuckerberg, Jack dorsey, Steve Jobs

Means nothing, the guy didn't become a billionaire by putting consumers first lmao

I mean I don’t see other companies investing their money in the preservation of the history of our hobby.

So yeah.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No, they have the rights to movies, television shows under 4 episodes (so not the Amazon series, important distinction), board games, amusement parks etc....

Basically everything besides television and the books

The fact that they (I would assume) can't base anything on the TV show is probably a blessing though lol, so basically they just can't write any new books or create new TV shows to my knowledge, though perhaps others can

As far as video games, the ip has been wildly mismanaged. This is THE fantasy ip, maybe they can treat it as such.

What happened to Warner Bros. rights with LotR? Didn't they have the rights to LotR for movies and then they bought Turbine Entertainment which had the rights for games I believe. Who did Embracer buy LotR from?

Kadve

What happened to Warner Bros. rights with LotR? Didn't they have the rights to LotR for movies and then they bought Turbine Entertainment which had the rights for games I believe. Who did Embracer buy LotR from?
Pretty sure the Tolkien estate has full control of the LotR IP. Something might have been happening behind the scenes that caused them to switch away from WB.

Embracer bought "middle-earth enterprises"

I honestly don't know if embracer acquired the rights to previously made content or not, but any future movies/games absolutely need to go through embracer

Gambit2483

Why do I feel like Limited Run Games couldn't wait to sell. They got way too big too fast. hope this doesn't affect any of my current orders from them

Top Bottom