• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer shuts down studio Onoma aka Square Enix Montreal, Eidos working on Fable

geary

real housewives nene GIF

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ouch it's almost like Square Enix knew what was actually happening with some of these studios and it wasn't exactly the deal of the century :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Well it was a mobile dev.

If you are publisher who doesnt really do mobile games it doesnt make sense to keep a mobile developer.
But they were part of the package soooo......

Whats really news is that another ex-Squenix dev is working with Xbox Game Studios.
How much you wanna bet if the ABK deal went through MS would have bid on Crystal Dynamics and Eidos then relegated Onoma to merge into King.

Crystal is working on Perfect Dark
Eidos is working on Fable.

Square Enix really had no idea what to do with these studios.
And they are such a talented bunch.
Looking forward to whatever they are bringing out next after Perfect Dark and Fable.

CamHostage

Hitman Go was kinda sick. I don’t generally play mobile games but I finished that entire thing. Great, simple concept.

SW Montreal was a very good studio. They won't get a lot of tears shed in their name on GAF as a mobile-focused developer, but they made good things which were worth playing, especially in a market that doesn't have a lot of titles worth championing.

I would have liked to have seen the studio pivot into Embracer projects rather than just killed off,, but business can be brutal.

Whats really news is that another ex-Squenix dev is working with Xbox Game Studios.
How much you wanna bet if the ABK deal went through MS would have bid on Crystal Dynamics and Eidos then relegated Onoma to merge into King.

Crystal is working on Perfect Dark
Eidos is working on Fable.

Square Enix really had no idea what to do with these studios.

Agreed! I'm very interested in how that's all working out and how the economics adds up (positively or negatively) of Square Enix's major internal studios became support developers for MS...

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I thought it was the Forza Horizon devs that were working on Fable? Is that another The Initiative?

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
Yes. SE has had nothing but bad news, they are a failed publisher.

1. Underwhelming sales across the board
2. Committed to blockchain
3. Sold their talented western studios and IPs for dirt cheap
4. Admitted they are squeezed out of the Japanese market
5. Selling stakes to their studios
7. Final Fantasy 14 back on the decline
8. Forespoken looks underwhelming

The only good news about square enix is that final fantasy 16 looks promising, But that’s one game.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Eidos is doing Fable?

I thought it was the Forza Horizon devs that were working on Fable? Is that another The Initiative?
No AAA game is made by a single studio.

Playground Team 2 is lead on Fable, Eidos is co-developer.
Initiative is lead on Perfect Dark, Crystal is co-developer.

Buggy Loop

Oh, the mobile SE Montreal division..
Eidos Montreal not touched, phew!

Although, I am pretty sure there’s not much of the Deus ex human revolution team left. Still, GOTG was pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Tommi84

New Deus Ex?

Sign me the fck in!

Give this game to me! I just hope I can live enough to play it :D

Last edited:

samoilaaa

yeah , this happens with most AAA games especially these days when games are bigger than ever

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's pretty clear that if Microsoft would not be in proces of acquiring Activision Blizzard they would snatch Eidos and Crystal Dynamics
Yeah, I'd much prefer Xbox to have bought Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics. It is interesting that those two studios are both now working with Xbox first party studios on 2 different games. I would love for Xbox to buy both of these studios from Embracer after A/B/K goes through.

Great to hear another Deus Ex is in development even if it is only early stages. It's much better than if Square still owned them. I doubt we'd ever see another Deus Ex.

ungalo

Sad for people in the studio but interesting that Embracer seems to be 100% focused on consoles and PC gaming., after Wingefors statement about NFT too. Maybe in several years they will start to be an important publisher (their last showcase wasn't good though).

About Eidos and Xbox, well it resembles to the Perfect Dark situation. But we also know that PG teams are already way bigger than The Initiative even without counting those who work on Forza Horizon. Fable does seem like the biggest Xbox game to come. It's probably a hard process but i hope they'll manage. It would be a very bad signal if ends up like another Halo Infinite.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Sounds good. I must had missed the news in the co-host parts. I just remember Playground doing Fable.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Of course but Eidos Montreal is not a support studio. They make their own games. They're the ones that need support.
Anyone can support anyone.
If a studio currently has free staff, better to put them to work than have them idle.
The sheer size of AAA games means it makes sense to hustle for talent where its available.
Sure you could use a "dedicated" support studio, but why not just use a studio that has shipped AAA games themselves, if they arent working on something right now, nab that talent and put it to use.
Looking at how SE was "taking care" of these studios they clearly needed work, someone was willing to give it to them.

Bend, Guerilla and Insomniac were support studios on Death Stranding.
Im pretty sure the last Ragnarok dev diary even mentioned that Naughty Dog was supporting Santa Monica on the game.

It’s interesting that Xbox don’t feel confident enough in their talent, or have enough talent, to develop Perfect Dark and Fable internally in a traditional sense. All big AAA productions outsource, but they don’t usually outsource much outside of art and asset development. Xbox are using full ‘AAA’ studios owned by other publishers to help get their games over the line.

It’s an interesting strategy.

Kadve

Wingefors is playing a dangerous game here. He is either going to be remembered as the man who got to sit back and laugh when the MTX and NFT markets crashed and burned. Or as an arrogant dinosaur who refused to get his head out of his ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom