• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer shuts down studio Onoma aka Square Enix Montreal, Eidos working on Fable

Look I'm a Deus ex fan and want another one but just how much money would it make?
Investors only care about money and single player RPGs are not a safe bet.

ungalo

Look I'm a Deus ex fan and want another one but just how much money would it make?
Investors only care about money and single player RPGs are not a safe bet.
I'm not sure what you mean. Schreier confirmed they started development for a new Deus Ex (very early).

I don't believe the "Microsoft is buying Square Enix Europe" thing, it's just some juicy contracts for those studios. Embracer is on another strategy. They want to revitalize the old IPs they got. It wouldn't make sense if they didn't do anything with an IP like Deus Ex.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Creative Assembly is helping with Halo Infinite
You mean Certain Affinity? The studio that has been helping with Halo since Halo 2?
They have been helping in Halo's development since then
  • Made the Blastacular Map Pack DLC for Halo 2
  • Made the Defiant Map Pack DLC for Halo Reach
  • Remade the Halo CE multiplayer in Halo Reach engine for Halo CEA
  • Designed the Halo 4 forge and designed some of the maps
  • Remade the Halo 2 multiplayer in Halo 4 engine for Halo 2A and remade 6 maps
Creative Assembly are the Total War Devs owned by Sega. You were so happy to post your drive by troll theory that you forgot the name of the studio.

That topic title is a mouthful ..

and no don't tag quote me.

A mouth full of what?

Oh I see it's testicles that you mean.

Ball Nuts GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

oldergamer

I am seeing a ton of shit posts in this thread trying to spin this into the negative. This is common practice.

This is nothing but a good thing. Ms is making more western rpg games that any other publisher out there. They need large teams to do that.

Rather then using internal studios and further delaying games they have contracted help from established studios. This doesn't mean games are coming earlier, just that development delays of one game wont directly impact others.

oldergamer

You mean Certain Affinity? The studio that has been helping with Halo since Halo 2?

[/URL][/URL]
Creative Assembly are the Total War Devs owned by Sega. You were so happy to post your drive by troll theory that you forgot the name of the studio.
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
Creative assembly worked on halo wars for ms in the past. multiple halo games in development

Last edited:
My first instinct is to laugh in your face, and then I remembered they're buying AB.

Given the sheer amount of content owned by Embracer and the fact that an adept management team could have them churning out belters, it's a real concern. Microsoft would be way too big if that happened.

Ozriel

M$FT
My first instinct is to laugh in your face, and then I remembered they're buying AB.

It would never happen. The sheer number of employees they'll take on will make this extremely unappealing to MS. Embracer currently has over 15000 employees.

Most likely they'll push relationships to the level where they can sign good Gamepass deals with Embracer. But that's as far as it goes.

It would never happen. The sheer number of employees they'll take on will make this extremely unappealing to MS. Embracer currently has over 15000 employees.

Most likely they'll push relationships to the level where they can sign good Gamepass deals with Embracer. But that's as far as it goes.
Seems to me at some point Microsoft is going to fold in crystal and eidos Montreal .

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Heh, so you have never worked for a company which over-extended itself then...

Between them, they had at least five projects (one a GAAS) in active development for companies with 270 and 480 people, and yet they took on 2 extra gigs. I may be a glass-half-full-of-holy-shit kind of guy, but these unusual contract projects do not read to me as moves taken by studios in a position of confidence and abundant free time.

(Also, again, Crystal Dynamics has a GAAS to support and ideally save... probably it's hopeless to try, but that's their job until the plug gets pulled.)

From the horses mouth:

1. Crystal Dynamics had ~100 people available not working on a game and was a perfect match for helping The Initiative to do Perfect Dark.

pasterpl

If these games are successful I think ms will acquire eidos, cd and asobo (flight sim) after the abk deal is done.

Top Bottom