• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

I got Danganronpa today and was surprised to find it's the US version, even from Amazon.co.uk.
The box has French writing all over it which looks rather cluttered. I hope the actual content is the same across all regions (the Vita is region free right? :eek: )

I got Danganronpa today and was surprised to find it's the US version, even from Amazon.co.uk.
The box has French writing all over it which looks rather cluttered. I hope the actual content is the same across all regions (the Vita is region free right? :eek: )
Yes. Also zero dlc so you don't have to worry bout that.

Acosta

Playing Fate Stay Night

Love it but
the first scene of sex is being like a slap in the face, I was enjoying the story and character and suddenly *bang* you need semen to put magic energy on your servant lol. It looks like such a cheap plot device...

Well, I knew it was coming so I can't complain..

AniHawk said:
i know steins;gate is already in english. i'll probably give it a go because i love me some time travel.

Steins;Gate is amazing, I can't recommend it enough. If you love time travel stories I think you will love it and furthermore it has amazing characters, a really solid plot and great art. I don't have much experience with VNs but I think it was pretty great

Marche90

Playing Fate Stay Night

Love it but
the first scene of sex is being like a slap in the face, I was enjoying the story and character and suddenly *bang* you need semen to put magic energy on your servant lol. It looks like such a cheap plot device...

Well, I knew it was coming so I can't complain..

Relevant:

0S29edN.jpg

Yeah, the image is missing something; I didn't wanted to risk it putting the uncensored image.
And hey, at least they aren't as offensive as those in Tsukihime.

Acosta

hahaha, thanks Marche.

They are SOOOOOO baaaad I had heard they were pretty terrible and out of character but now I'm watching this it´s even worse that I imagined. I'm trying to click as fast as possible lol.

Marche90

hahaha, thanks Marche.

They are SOOOOOO baaaad I had heard they were pretty terrible and out of character but now I'm watching this it´s even worse that I imagined. I'm trying to click as fast as possible lol.

Tip: press and hold the control key; that key will make your life easier.

Zukuu

Banned
Just started playing Ever 17. As a native German speaker, "Insel Null", "Erste Boden", "Zweite Stock" and "Dritte Stock" etc sound so weird and out of place. Not only are most of them wrong (missing a "r" at the end. Erster, Zweiter, Dritter (first, second, third)), but "Erster Boden" doesn't even make sense (lit. "first ground"). Well, something to laugh and cringe at, I guess.^^

Also weird that the game tells me "best played with a gamepad" o_O

Yuuichi

Also weird that the game tells me "best played with a gamepad" o_O

You don't even know, I just started using a pad after years of clicking and pressing enter, it's the best. Try it.

I spy Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai :D. Can I ask your opinion on it?
Not actually done with it because it's got an insane amount of content, so expect a more detailed review when I actually finish it. But for now, I would award it the same text as SakuSaku: Read it if it sounds interesting.

Also Kanasuke best grill, you may not have.

gaiadyne

You don't even know, I just started using a pad after years of clicking and pressing enter, it's the best. Try it.

Not actually done with it because it's got an insane amount of content, so expect a more detailed review when I actually finish it. But for now, I would award it the same text as SakuSaku: Read it if it sounds interesting.

Also Kanasuke best grill, you may not have.

I think I/O has controller support is there any lists of visual novels with controller support becomes it really makes it a lot less tedious

Yuuichi

I think I/O has controller support is there any lists of visual novels with controller support becomes it really makes it a lot less tedious

Most modern ones do, and I think KAG (any game with .XP3 file extensions) has build in support that kicks in unless the code block was deleted.

Going through the Grisaia no Kajitsu common route and it has its ups and downs sure but I think I've enjoyed it a lot more than most VNs common routes (not that that's saying much). I don't think it's something where there'd be much value in replaying this part of the game just because there aren't any choices here to effect the storyline but I think there's definitely value in their approach of this long-ish common route where you're thoroughly exposed to each of the character's antics without segregating any of that content with differing choices. And there've been a lot of moments here where I've genuinely laughed out loud at whats happening at any given time.

It's fun.

Going through the Grisaia no Kajitsu common route and it has its ups and downs sure but I think I've enjoyed it a lot more than most VNs common routes (not that that's saying much). I don't think it's something where there'd be much value in replaying this part of the game just because there aren't any choices here to effect the storyline but I think there's definitely value in their approach of this long-ish common route where you're thoroughly exposed to each of the character's antics without segregating any of that content with differing choices. And there've been a lot of moments here where I've genuinely laughed out loud at whats happening at any given time.

It's fun.

It's well written comedy. It's also the best part of the VN.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mostly cross-posted from manga thread:

Unlimited Blade Works [END]

Shirou shoulda taken a 5 minute trip to the convenience store to buy some rubbers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Normal logic does not apply for Shirou. You should have realized that by this point

._.

I mean, sure, FSN sex scenes are cringeworthy anyways, but I'm not sure if this one was supposed to be played for humor or what.

Lain

I think this is related to this thread:

Dear MangaGamer Customers

A few short hours ago, our company received a report of an intrusion to the database on our website. We believe that customer e-mail addresses, usernames, and passwords may have been compromised at this time. Credit card information is NOT stored in our databases, and as such has NOT been comprised. We are currently working with utmost haste to track down and seal the method of intrusion to prevent this from occurring again.

In the meantime, we are truly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and we strongly recommend that you change your password on any sites or services which used the same password as your MangaGamer account.

Once this issue has been resolved, we will issue an e-mail to all customers requesting a password reset.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, and we hope that you will continue to support us in our endeavors to bring great visual novels to the west.

Best Regards,
MangaGamer Staff

I can't seem to get an answer for this anywhere else, but Sony just has a pre-TGS conference, and Siliconera is reporting that during that they said that more otome games are coming to the west. Is that true?

I can't find confirmation of this anywhere else.

I can't seem to get an answer for this anywhere else, but Sony just has a pre-TGS conference, and Siliconera is reporting that during that they said that more otome games are coming to the west. Is that true?

I can't find confirmation of this anywhere else.

I didn't catch anything about that from the English stream, but the translation there was really awful at times, so who knows. They did show a bunch of Otome games.

Haven't seen anymore news on otome games coming over, so perhaps it was just a mistranslation on Siliconera's part. :/

In brighter news, the latest build for Coming Out On Top was just released to backers, and it's really, really great. I'm so excited for the full game. :)

Yuuichi

Time for a totally garbage news post, featuring me, of course.

First off is Konosora, which came in the other day following a really not fun USPS hell (long story). you can revel in some bad pictures here and here. It's massive, I'm shocked I have shelf space. It's quite enjoyable so far, though I can't comment on the enligsh version because I'm not playing it. I don't believe in censorship and have mild worries about translation qualities, but that's about it. It's worth checking out, at the very least.

Barring that same USPS hell, Clover Day's, which also has an active (last time I checked) translation project should get here, which I'll start once I finish my first route in Konosora, which is Kotori's.

The announcement of more otome games is always nice even if I don't play them, sony is clearly the place to be for console visual novels now.

Other than that, in a kind of amusing twist that made the suffering of being up at 2 AM worth it, Alcot's twitter seemed to be having a good time with Mario Kart, so much so that they posted two quick images of play (only one of which I managed to save before they deleted it) followed by this:
9ebc8d7b31.png

[Rough Translation: My apologies, I got a little bit too excited a minute ago and erred. We're having a split screen battle in house (referring to in the company).]
It's glad to know this this is what eroge devs do in their spare time, I guess!

Now if you would excuse me, I need to get right back on that persona 5 hype train.

The latest backer build for Coming Out On Top was just released this past weekend, and the game is coming along very nicely.

I can't wait for the full version. :)

AniHawk

so i kinda did a lot of research on the subject. just want to get people's thoughts on some titles:

chaos;head (the actual game, not the dating sim spinoff)
robotics;notes
infinite loop
white album 2
golden time

all for the non-pc versions.

i know steins;gate is already in english. i'll probably give it a go because i love me some time travel.

anyone?

upandaway

The only one I read was C;H, and that was the original version (you're probably getting the enhanced version), it's not as good as S;G but it's pretty fun with a lot of psychological manipulation/horror. The B ending is way better than the main ending.

There's also a sequel, Chaos;Child, coming out soon.

AniHawk

The only one I read was C;H, and that was the original version (you're probably getting the enhanced version), it's not as good as S;G but it's pretty fun with a lot of psychological manipulation/horror. The B ending is way better than the main ending.

There's also a sequel, Chaos;Child, coming out soon.

thanks - and i heard chaos;child is simply set in the same universe like robotics;notes and steins;gate, not necessarily a straight sequel, is that true?

upandaway

thanks - and i heard chaos;child is simply set in the same universe like robotics;notes and steins;gate, not necessarily a straight sequel, is that true?
Here's the announcement PV

It'll probably have nods to S;G and maybe R;N, but it's directly related to C;H, set in the same city and have plot connections. Cast is different and it's set a few years later though.

aravuus

Yea C;H was neat, worth a read and the perfect length.

I've got Fate/Stay Night on my backlog but it's hard to pick it up when I know how fucking long it is

Yuuichi

There are a bunch of extraneous references to C;H in S;G, that's about the extent of it from what I remember. C;H is still worth checking out at least once though, even if I can't tell you what the hell happened in the last hour even after reading a summary.

upandaway

There are a bunch of extraneous references to C;H in S;G, that's about the extent of it from what I remember. C;H is still worth checking out at least once though, even if I can't tell you what the hell happened in the last hour even after reading a summary.
Anything in particular that confused you?

Yuuichi

Anything in particular that confused you?

Well it's been at least a year and a half since I last touched it, but
I remember having a really hard time discerning what was and wasn't happening towards the final confrontation, which I realize was intentional, but it made the ultimate destruction of everything make that much less sense, if I'm recalling the plot right. That said, I never did see the beta ending (I only figured out the choice mechanic a few hours in) and I've been meaning to replay it, so I'm not sure how valid my opinion is.

upandaway

Well it's been at least a year and a half since I last touched it, but
I remember having a really hard time discerning what was and wasn't happening towards the final confrontation, which I realize was intentional, but it made the ultimate destruction of everything make that much less sense, if I'm recalling the plot right. That said, I never did see the beta ending (I only figured out the choice mechanic a few hours in) and I've been meaning to replay it, so I'm not sure how valid my opinion is.
The B ending has plenty of explanations, but I'm not sure if they're about anything you're talking about. If you're just referring to
how everything is solved away by convenient delusion logic, then yeah that's pretty silly, but I'm not sure what explanation can help there. I personally didn't like the ending too much compared to the entire VN, I prefer B.

I don't think it warrants a replay just to see it, especially a year and a half later, but if you wanted a replay anyway then I still have the full list of delusion triggers I made, should make using a walkthrough to get B ending easier (it's such a pain). I could PM it to you.

Marche90

I've been reading Fate/Hollow Ataraxia since the beginning of this week with the 97.7% patch...

I'M LOVING IT!!

That's not to say that you will like it if you liked FSN, since FHA is very character-driven slice-of-life story where you pick up what you want to do during the day in the 4-day cycle you're trapped (unlocking more actions as time goes by), so if you dislike seeing "pointless" actions in a story, this is not a VN for you.

The overall arching plot is there, but since I haven't really reached even the half of the story, I can't give a verdict on that yet. However, if you would enjoy, for example, seeing the Masters and Servants in all kinds of normal situations (like seeing Caster doing some grocery-shopping to cook something for Kuzuki or seeing Lancer and Archer having a fishing competition) it's something that I would be able to recommend you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom