• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Environmental activists throw tomato soup over Van Goghs’ masterpiece Sunflowers

Kamina

Golden Boy
Demonstrator Phoebe Plummer, 21, said: ‘What is worth more, art of life?

‘Is it worth more than food, worth more than justice?

‘Are you more concerned about the protection of a painting or the protection of our planet and people?

‘The cost of living crisis is part of the cost of oil crisis. Fuel is unaffordable to millions of cold hungry families.

‘They can’t even afford to heat a tin of soup,’ they added, waving one of the two soup cans.
Cool story, but what does that have to do with the picture?
The existence of the picture doest influence the costs of living.
Radical activists are among the most brainless people when it comes to justifying their actions.

Rat Rage

Can somebody explain to me this "glueing" stuff? Why do they glue themselves to objects like walls or furniture? What type of glue do they use? Why glue?

Meicyn

Gold Member
G5MmLCw.jpg

I guess I'm wrong.

For a minute there, I was thinking maybe for the first time ever, the protesters would be clean cut office workers, construction workers, or look like suburban parents taking their kids to soccer practice.

One of these times, it wont be woke looking, drugged up drop outs.
Some serious Admiral Holdo energy radiating from the left side.

MastaKiiLA

That will show that painting to stop using so much Oil, the big greedy oil hungry painting.

I’m all for environmentalism, we need to be doing more as a species, but this is just being a vandal and a total jerk.

Yeah, their whole argument is kinda flawed. They're protesting oil because something something hunger or something like that? So the solution is to waste food on an oil painting. It's idiotic. It's as bad as those vegan protesters who waste perfectly good food in their protests. They're not helping their cause.

Yeah, their whole argument is kinda flawed. They're protesting oil because something something hunger or something like that? So the solution is to waste food on an oil painting. It's idiotic. It's as bad as those vegan protesters who waste perfectly good food in their protests. They're not helping their cause.
they were arguing that some people can't even afford to heat a can of soup due to the cost of living and rising energy costs. and they are asking people if they care more about an object/piece of art being damaged (the painting in fact was not damaged as it's behind glass) or the future of the planet or some shit like that. don't know what the super glue is all about lol

not defending them. i get what they are doing but it's fucking silly the way they are going about it.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
These fucking retards are stealing from the culture of now and tomorrow. Completely ridiculous. How can anyone be so selfish and stupid? They need to be made understand that their actions are not acceptable.

Given their apparent age, I’m assuming some old ass moron unwilling to surrender themselves for “the cause” got them to do it.

Tams

Can somebody explain to me this "glueing" stuff? Why do they glue themselves to objects like walls or furniture? What type of glue do they use? Why glue?
It's a thing some activists have taken to doing over the last few years in the UK.

Some of the protests and disruption was accepted, even agreed with for a while. Most people have tired of it though. Anyway, they just get debonded and a given a court date.

Blade2.0

It was dumb but they're also 100% right. More people give a shit about this stunt and worrying about the painting than the literal effects our society have on this planet. It's maddening.

There was 6.5 billion for Notre Dame in a day, but barely anyone gave a shit when Australia burned. We are too shortsighted and feckless to give a shit.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

If the choice now is do you want these girls bailed out or the bail money to go to Australia, I'd choose the latter any day.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Still is actually an attack on Dutch people as a whole.

Prepare to be G E K O L O N I Z E E R D.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It was dumb but they're also 100% right. More people give a shit about this stunt and worrying about the painting than the literal effects our society have on this planet. It's maddening.

There was 6.5 billion for Notre Dame in a day, but barely anyone gave a shit when Australia burned. We are too shortsighted and feckless to give a shit.
They are not right in any way. This is one of the worst takes I’ve seen on gaf

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

With all their propagating to the extremes, one would have to /quit life En mass.

Then again, that's what these death cults want, innit? But for you and I, not themselves, clearly.

Just push for Nuclear Power and all this bitching would end..... Logically it should, but we all know they'll just move the goalposts again.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I mean, they sprayed it over glass so they had no intent to cause damage, and got you to spread their message, so...

Bragr

Banned

What are you talking about? they gave to Notre Dame because they cared about it. It's completely normal to care about what's close to you. Everyone reacts in such ways, even you.

Their point is not "right". It makes as much sense as pushing people in wheelchairs down the stairs to prove how the elderly lack support. If someone throws a sack of potatoes at your face and screams "people care more about this than the LITERAL effects on our society", what a fuck is that supposed to achieve? They don't even get the point they are trying to make.

Modern activists have failed us. Instead of becoming politicians and engineers and enacting real change they just follow their anger and abuse everyone who disagrees. Absolute fuck 'em all.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
So what? The amount of people who took anything important from their "message" is countable on one hand. The only thing they did was make people wanna throw them into a river.
It's a publicity stunt, so you're playing into their hands by spreading this garbage is my point. It's essentially dumb kids throwing a can of soup on a piece of glass and being rewarded with immediate worldwide attention

Wether or not this actually hurts their cause in the long run is largely irrelevant..these kids don't actually give a fuck about oil consumption lmao

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It's a publicity stunt, so you're playing into their hands by spreading this garbage is my point. It's essentially dumb kids throwing a can of soup on a piece of glass and being rewarded with immediate worldwide attention

Wether or not this actually hurts their cause in the long run is largely irrelevant..these kids don't actually give a fuck about oil consumption lmao
I'm surprised to find myself agreeing with you.

Blade2.0

What are you talking about? they gave to Notre Dame because they cared about it. It's completely normal to care about what's close to you. Everyone reacts in such ways, even you.

Their point is not "right". It makes as much sense as pushing people in wheelchairs down the stairs to prove how the elderly lack support. If someone throws a sack of potatoes at your face and screams "people care more about this than the LITERAL effects on our society", what a fuck is that supposed to achieve? They don't even get the point they are trying to make.

Modern activists have failed us. Instead of becoming politicians and engineers and enacting real change they just follow their anger and abuse everyone who disagrees. Absolute fuck 'em all.
The point is people care more about art and buildings than the earth they live on. People get in an uproar over tomato soup thrown at a piece of art more than climate change. That's literally what she said and that is also what is happening.

Bragr

Banned
The point is people care more about art and buildings than the earth they live on. People get in an uproar over tomato soup thrown at a piece of art more than climate change. That's literally what she said and that is also what is happening.
But it's not, climate change is one of the biggest topics of our time that is discussed at high levels in every government around the world.

This stunt was a blip on the radar because they acted like assholes. Just because people like a legendary painting, doesn't mean they ignore climate change.

Blade2.0

But it's not, climate change is one of the biggest topics of our time that is discussed at high levels in every government around the world.

This stunt was a blip on the radar because they acted like assholes. Just because people like a legendary painting, doesn't mean they ignore climate change.
It's discussed and almost nothing is done about it. Talk is cheap.

Bragr

Banned
It's discussed and almost nothing is done about it. Talk is cheap.
Nothing is done? they spend billions a year on this. Societies change from year to year to be more eco-friendly. It's hard to find an area with more action and reform.

The problem is they started too late, and there are a few massive straggling countries (china, india) that don't have the capability, possibility, or will to change.

Activists are not gonna do a thing here. Technology is our only hope. If you care about climate change, become an engineer. If we can find a way to create more energy, we can start using climate-altering drones. But so far we are far behind the curve on that. Maybe A.I. can help (before they destroy us).

Blade2.0

Nothing is done? they spend billions a year on this. Societies change from year to year to be more eco-friendly. It's hard to find an area with more action and reform.

The problem is they started too late, and there are a few massive straggling countries (china, india) that don't have the capability, possibility, or will to change.

Activists are not gonna do a thing here. Technology is our only hope. If you care about climate change, become an engineer. If we can find a way to create more energy, we can start using climate-altering drones. But so far we are far behind the curve on that. Maybe A.I. can help (before they destroy us).
Per Capita, USA is still one of the biggest CO2 emitting countries. Per person we produce double what a Chinese person produces.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Per Capita, USA is still one of the biggest CO2 emitting countries. Per person we produce double what a Chinese person produces.
Yeah, but China is the biggest, per capita doesn't mean much when a country is spewing out twice what anyone else is doing. I don't know the exact numbers, but asian in general is a huge issue, the states can change, they got the resources, but i am not sure how asia is gonna turn things around. Too much poverty and too few state initiatives.

Blade2.0

Yeah, but China is the biggest, per capita doesn't mean much when a country is spewing out twice what anyone else is doing. I don't know the exact numbers, but asian in general is a huge issue, the states can change, they got the resources, but i am not sure how asia is gonna turn things around. Too much poverty and too few state initiatives.
I agree it will probably be harder for them to change. I do know they're making more nuclear power plants than before so that will help curb it. I do feel enough isn't being done in the states, either. We have a subset of Americans that will roll coal just because they don't even believe anything is wrong.

Top Bottom