• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic and Microsoft donating all Fortnite proceeds for two weeks to Ukraine

hlm666

Around 10m.
Is that all? Ok that sounds kinda bad, I don't mean it's a bad gesture or not alot but I was under the impression fortnite was making more than ~260m a year. Reading that article itchio has done 6m themselves and humble bundle 9m and they are not in the same league as epic or ms.

DaGwaphics

Maybe not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but good on them. Those people are living in a nightmare right now, every little bit helps.

Doom85

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

I don’t give a shit about Fortnite in terms of playing, but it’s awesome its massive userbase can be utilized for something positive like this. Well done, and bless the folks who made this decision and all the players who contribute.

kingfey

Banned
Is that all? Ok that sounds kinda bad, I don't mean it's a bad gesture or not alot but I was under the impression fortnite was making more than ~260m a year. Reading that article itchio has done 6m themselves and humble bundle 9m and they are not in the same league as epic or ms.
Xbox platform has lower userbase, compared to PS, PC or mobile.
Also, the money is the 1st 2 weeks. Not a month. The money earned during that period would be small.

Last edited:

Yumi

Around 10m.
Can’t be true. Just read 1.5 mil a day just on iOS. Apparently revenue was 2.5 billion in 2020. Just a quick Google search.

Edit: numbers are actually all over the place on different website. But they range from 2-5 billion a year.

Last edited:

reksveks

Xbox platform has lower userbase, compared to PS, PC or mobile.
Also, the money is the 1st 2 weeks. Not a month. The money earned during that period would be small.
Epic is making 4bn+ from fortnite so if we are assume an even split its 153m that they would generate in revenue.

What we dont know is whether epic is giving away the full 100% of the revenue or the operating income.

The xbox player base is rather irrelevant to how much epic is giving to the charity but its relevant to how much xbox is.

I'm nobody

Sony is doing their own thing.

Good on Epic and MS for doing this. Every bit helps.
Sony hasn’t got any factories in Russia but had banned the sale of its products across all streams including audio, visual and imaging systems. It has also said it will donate a total of $2 million to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the UN Refugee Agency and the international NGO and Save the Children. Sony has also said it will match any donations made by employees for humanitarian aid in Ukraine.

Tams

What's your point, mate.

Come on, spit it out, coward.

The UN Food Agency do have problems yes. But they also have the infrastructure and resources to use these funds, in a neutral way.

Zelenskyy has banned pro-Russian parties. Which makes complete sense given they are being invaded by Russia. They should feel lucky they haven't be labelled as traitors and it was very generous of his government not to ban them earlier.

zaanan

Banned
What's your point, mate.

Come on, spit it out, coward.

The UN Food Agency do have problems yes. But they also have the infrastructure and resources to use these funds, in a neutral way.

Zelenskyy has banned pro-Russian parties. Which makes complete sense given they are being invaded by Russia. They should feel lucky they haven't be labelled as traitors and it was very generous of his government not to ban them earlier.
Someone didn’t read the articles...

Ad hominem, how nice. Must have struck a nerve

Tams

Someone didn’t read the articles...

Ad hominem, how nice. Must have struck a nerve
I did.

But the onus is on you to make your point about them as you brought them up.

I'd say also offer some alternativesnif you (presumably) think those things are bad.

And it's not an ad hominem attack to question your motives. I just put it in a more forceful way.

zaanan

Banned
I did.

But the onus is on you to make your point about them as you brought them up.

I'd say also offer some alternativesnif you (presumably) think those things are bad.

And it's not an ad hominem attack to question your motives. I just put it in a more forceful way.
Interesting. The thoroughly well-documented articles speak for themselves very eloquently; I would have thought my intent in bringing them into the discussion would be obvious. But then, that would require proper reading comprehension, critical thinking skills, and an aversion to disingenuousness, none of which you have shown a propensity for thus far.

Also, you do not seem to understand what an ad hominem attack is, or how your previous “response” was the very epitome of the word, so here is the definition for your reference:
Attacking a person's character or motivations rather than a position or argument.

Better luck next time.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
but ... but... Epic bad! and Ms needs the money!!

/s

the new fortnite season looks cool so i'll be checking it out and i will buy the battle pass even if i do stop playing after a week :messenger_tears_of_joy: good on epic/ms

Tams

Interesting. The thoroughly well-documented articles speak for themselves very eloquently; I would have thought my intent in bringing them into the discussion would be obvious. But then, that would require proper reading comprehension, critical thinking skills, and an aversion to disingenuousness, none of which you have shown a propensity for thus far.

Also, you do not seem to understand what an ad hominem attack is, or how your previous “response” was the very epitome of the word, so here is the definition for your reference:
Attacking a person's character or motivations rather than a position or argument.

Better luck next time.
You still haven't even outlined what your point is.

Is it that you think the UN World Food Program would sexually abuse Ukrainians? If so, what evidence?
Do you think Zelenskyy is trying to take absolute power? If so, what evidence? Do you think a temporary ban on pro-Russian parties during an invasion by Russia is unjust?

But no, you just post two articles (one requiring signing up to read and a dubious source at that*).

*"The Epoch Times is a far-right international multi-language newspaper and media company affiliated with the Falun Gong new religious movement."

And you haven't provided a clear position or argument to even debate. Just 'read the articles'. I'll admit that it was an ad-hominem attack on your motivations. Something I think is deserved if you don't even post your argument. If you are posting in bad faith, I think that needs to debated too. And I think you're trying to inflate it as an attack on character, which it is not. For now.

reksveks

So is that in 1 day? Holy shit if so the 10-20m estimates are way off.
That 10m I think was sadly off on multiple fronts, annual revenue suggest a 153 for the two week if you were to split the revenue equally ( I think that is a bad assumption cause you expect the start of the season to be a peak). Think also kingfey forgot that epic was donate regardless of the platform holder.

Top Bottom