• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games wins lawsuit against Google's Play Store

graywolf323

Details: The jury agreed with Epic Games on every question it was asked to consider:
  • "[T]hat Google has monopoly power in the Android app distribution markets and in-app billing services markets, that Google did anticompetitive things in those markets, and that Epic was injured by that behavior," per The Verge.
  • "[The jury] decided Google has an illegal tie between its Google Play app store and its Google Play Billing payment services, too, and that its distribution agreement, Project Hug, deals with game developers and deals with OEMs were anticompetitive too."
Juries are dumb…

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Details: The jury agreed with Epic Games on every question it was asked to consider:
  • "[T]hat Google has monopoly power in the Android app distribution markets and in-app billing services markets, that Google did anticompetitive things in those markets, and that Epic was injured by that behavior," per The Verge.
  • "[The jury] decided Google has an illegal tie between its Google Play app store and its Google Play Billing payment services, too, and that its distribution agreement, Project Hug, deals with game developers and deals with OEMs were anticompetitive too."
Juries are dumb…
Looks like Nintendo and Sony are about to join the list of 'going third party'

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Precidense issuing set. If they can get this to stick pending appeals and more court cases trying to overturn this it could be a BIG thing. If this sticks they can use this against apple in another lawsuit.

Gallard

Don't know anything about this case, but was checking /r/gamedev's comments on it, and someone said this:

What caused the ruling is that they offer specific publishers deals with 0-10% rather than the 30% they charge everyone else, including Epic. And the connection of Google Play and Google Billing to allow for that is illegal in the marketplace.

If true, could explain what makes this situation different from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If true, could explain what makes this situation different from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.
What? All three make special deals like, constantly.

Exclusives here, timed there, console exclusives here, marketing rights there, publishing rights here, marketing costs there, streaming here, subscription there, partnership here, etc., tons of money goes around and most smaller pubs/devs don't have any leverage for anything similar to the big ones.

Still, as the article says we don't know what the judge will ask of Google, Epic didn't ask for damages, the judge said he's not going to try and tell Google what the fees should be, I dunno, we'll see soon enough (and then the ruling will be appealed and won't settle for years anyway).

Android already allows other stores so I guess they could get fined for anti competitive practices against other stores and they have to stop making such deals but otherwise business as usual? No clue.

Juries should be investigated and if anyone has an EGS account with free games retrial :p

ChuckeRearmed said:
The point is not the deals themselves, but the market share - Google App Store having the biggest market share while paying others not to launch their stores is a different thing from just paying for the deal by a smaller store.
I'm responding to a post referring to deals like Spotify's giving them a different fee % or any other benefits joe average Play Store developer doesn't get to launch their apps on Play Store, nothing to do with store competitors paid to not launch their stores, can you read or nah?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Don't know anything about this case, but was checking /r/gamedev's comments on it, and someone said this:

What caused the ruling is that they offer specific publishers deals with 0-10% rather than the 30% they charge everyone else, including Epic. And the connection of Google Play and Google Billing to allow for that is illegal in the marketplace.

Except we already know that CoD got sweetheart deals from Sony and MS.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Apple next
Happy Dance GIF by LA Clippers

Ozzie666

Time for Epic to lay off more people? celebrate the win?
In all honesty, is this win good or bad for gaming, or just going to make Epic richer?

Exclusives here, timed there, console exclusives here, marketing rights there, publishing rights here, marketing costs there, streaming here, subscription there, partnership here, etc., tons of money goes around and most smaller pubs/devs don't have any leverage for anything similar to the big ones.
The point is not the deals themselves, but the market share - Google App Store having the biggest market share while paying others not to launch their stores is a different thing from just paying for the deal by a smaller store.

LMFAO how the actual fuck did Google find a way to lose this case when Apple won and Apple's policies are much more restrictive than Google's? That is one amazing fuckup on Google's part...

...actually, never mind. You can always expect Google to fuck up. I owned a Pixel once, I know.

Three

LMFAO how the actual fuck did Google find a way to lose this case when Apple won and Apple's policies are much more restrictive than Google's? That is one amazing fuckup on Google's part...

...actually, never mind. You can always expect Google to fuck up. I owned a Pixel once, I know.
It's a jury trial in this one so Joe public voted. It will likely go to another court. Having said that, the jury was absolutely right to call out product tying between Google Play store and Google billing services and I'm not sure if Apple do that too. I just don't see how that is anticompetitive for Epic specifically since they just get a better rate. Unless they have their own billing services or were just upset they didn't have access to the users billing information since it's hidden from app developers.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

What? All three make special deals like, constantly.

Still, as the article says we don't know what the judge will ask of Google, Epic didn't ask for damages, the judge said he's not going to try and tell Google what the fees should be, I dunno, we'll see soon enough (and then the ruling will be appealed and won't settle for years anyway).

Android already allows other stores so I guess they could get fined for anti competitive practices against other stores and they have to stop making such deals but otherwise business as usual? No clue.

Juries should be investigated and if anyone has an EGS account with free games retrial :p

I'm responding to a post referring to deals like Spotify's giving them a different fee % or any other benefits joe average Play Store developer doesn't get to launch their apps on Play Store, nothing to do with store competitors paid to not launch their stores, can you read or nah?
Do you think the wording on those deals says straight away pay for exclusivity or timed exclusivity?
They don't...

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It's a jury trial in this one so Joe public voted. It will likely go to another court. Having said that, the jury was absolutely right to call out product tying between Google Play store and Google billing services and I'm not sure if Apple do that too. I just don't see how that is anticompetitive for Epic specifically since they just get a better rate. Unless they have their own billing services or were just upset they didn't have access to the users billing information since it's hidden from app developers.
They have their own billing and they don't get better rates, but others get it

AJUMP23

Gold Member
What I am trying to figure out is how they lose apple and win google. They seem like the same case.

Last edited:

Fbh

What I am tryin to figure out is how they lose apple and win google. They seem like the same case.

Yeah I don't get this either.
If anything Apple holds a much tighter leash around iOS than Google does with Android.
Android does allow for other stores and installing apps downloaded from other places is simple and easy.

I mean I get it's really hard to establish yourself as an alternative because the google play store is the default store pre-installed on all android devices and 99% of people won't bother looking for and downloading an alternative. But it's still not as restrictive as iOs.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Yeah I don't get this either.
If anything Apple holds a much tighter leash around iOS than Google does with Android.
Android does allow for other stores and installing apps downloaded from other places is simple and easy.

I mean I get it's really hard to establish yourself as an alternative because the google play store is the default store pre-installed on all android devices and 99% of people won't bother looking for and downloading an alternative. But it's still not as restrictive as iOs.

Android will let you side load stuff. Apple is extremely restrictive with their OS.

What I am trying to figure out is how they lose apple and win google. They seem like the same case.
Google had two main problems (that Apple did not have)
  • It was confirmed that they actually pay the companies not to create other stores
  • They delete their conversation history
Both of that (especially the second) did not do them any favors and contributed to this loss.

Last edited:

calistan

I think they're going to try to get at Apple a second time, if this should stick in Court.
Apple was a judge's verdict, and they also lost an appeal, so that is basically done in the US unless any new evidence comes to light. This was a jury, which is 12 bored people who probably wanted to be out of there as quickly as possible - hence a unanimous verdict in a couple of hours. Google said it's appealing anyway.

I hope Epic applies the same principles as they expect from Google, and gives me an alternative store where I can purchase Alan Wake 2 and Dead Island 2 - I'd have bought both of those by now if they hadn't been locked up by Epic.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Can someone explain to me why Epic won against Google but lost to Apple, who do exactly the same thing?

Top Bottom