• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

T-Cake

I must need my head testing to be thinking of giving up PC gaming for the next-gen consoles. I'd miss out on all these shedloads of free games!

GHG

I must need my head testing to be thinking of giving up PC gaming for the next-gen consoles. I'd miss out on all these shedloads of free games!

giphy.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Just added GTA5 to my library. It will go with the other free games I have never played.

My Epic games library is still completely grey and because it's no fun at all to browse through I've yet to install and luanch a game. Such a stupid UI decision. Steam is much more interesting to explore.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You remember how Chinese companies went and undercut the West and dumped goods onto the market at sub-cost to destroy their competition and now we're beholden to them for critical supply-chain during a time of pandemic? Well, that's the tactic being employed here. With Chinese owners it's no surprise.

You remember how Chinese companies went and undercut the West and dumped goods onto the market at sub-cost to destroy their competition and now we're beholden to them for critical supply-chain during a time of pandemic? Well, that's the tactic being employed here. With Chinese owners it's no surprise.
Imagine the chaos when Tencent cuts us off from Fortnite forever! Phones being used to make calls! The savings on data plans! Zoomers demanding the government hand over Gabe Newell to appease China!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine the chaos when Tencent cuts us off from Fortnite forever! Phones being used to make calls! The savings on data plans! Zoomers demanding the government hand over Gabe Newell to appease China!

Imagine when tencent installs spyware and Western governments can't do shit about it because they're Chinese. Imagine Western game developers having to kowtow to Chinese censorship policies. Imagine straw-manning because you can't think of a sensible reply.

I just wanted to play video games...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to play video games...

And you'll play video games, the ones your Chinese masters approve of. Super Mau Brothers, Sonic The Delicious Hedgehog, Civilization 7 - For The Glory Of China (where you can only play as China and get sent to the gulags if you lose), but absolutely no games about Winnie The Pooh.

Imagine when tencent installs spyware and Western governments can't do shit about it because they're Chinese. Imagine Western game developers having to kowtow to Chinese censorship policies. Imagine straw-manning because you can't think of a sensible reply.
Any government entity that installs a video game launcher into computers containing sensitive material is a lost cause to begin with. And seriously, interruptions in a digital supply chain? There are people that host files on their own dime for decades just because. Unless China wants to buyout every internet server or service provider, you'll be able to get your games one way or another. Devs are free to sell their games in their own sites too. It's not like there's people that won't buy a game if it's not on a launcher they're obsessed with, oh wait...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Any government entity that installs a video game launcher into computers containing sensitive material is a lost cause to begin with. And seriously, interruptions in a digital supply chain? There are people that host files on their own dime for decades just because. Unless China wants to buyout every internet server or service provider, you'll be able to get your games one way or another. Devs are free to sell their games in their own sites too. It's not like there's people that won't buy a game if it's not on a launcher they're obsessed with, oh wait...
It’s like you can’t read. By cornering the market China exerts its influence.

It’s like you can’t read. By cornering the market China exerts its influence.
So? That's how the game is played. If someone wants influence they sure as hell need to earn it and then do their best to keep it. And if you're going to argue that videogames are a critical commodity that's relevant to national security, then good luck. But hey, if the government wants to give me videogames and all it costs me is to install the Freedom Games Launcher, you bet I'll be there too. While we're at it, someone tell Valve that charging people in the same country they're based in more for videogames is unpatriotic. Tell Epic too but they're a Chinese front so it's probably patriotic for them to charge me more.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So? That's how the game is played. If someone wants influence they sure as hell need to earn it and then do their best to keep it. And if you're going to argue that videogames are a critical commodity that's relevant to national security, then good luck. But hey, if the government wants to give me videogames and all it costs me is to install the Freedom Games Launcher, you bet I'll be there too. While we're at it, someone tell Valve that charging people in the same country they're based in more for videogames is unpatriotic. Tell Epic too but they're a Chinese front so it's probably patriotic for them to charge me more.

So many straw men, it's like I'm watching an episode of Worzel Gummidge.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You're welcome. I knew you'd like them since you equated a video game store as being part of a critical supply chain.

Deliberately missing the point I see. I'll explain it like you're a fucking toddler - my mistake was thinking you might be able to understand some nuance. Here's the original post:

The bolded is the important bit. Now you'll notice that I talk about that TACTIC being employed. Where do I say that video games are a critical supply chain? Precisely nowhere, that's where. The TACTIC of destroying the competition by undercutting below any amount anyone could actually sell a product for, dumping it on the market for effectively zero, taking advantage of people's greed (including yours). Now, that said, with a stranglehold on the market, China would be in a position to dictate what games get released and what don't, and we can already see they are doing that to some extent with Hollywood in terms of getting concessions made to them, and while not critical supply chain it does reduce the west's influence on the world and silences criticism of China.

So, do I have to draw you a picture or are you too busy sticking crayons up your nose to form a proper response?

Deliberately missing the point I see. I'll explain it like you're a fucking toddler - my mistake was thinking you might be able to understand some nuance. Here's the original post:

The bolded is the important bit. Now you'll notice that I talk about that TACTIC being employed. Where do I say that video games are a critical supply chain? Precisely nowhere, that's where. The TACTIC of destroying the competition by undercutting below any amount anyone could actually sell a product for, dumping it on the market for effectively zero, taking advantage of people's greed (including yours). Now, that said, with a stranglehold on the market, China would be in a position to dictate what games get released and what don't, and we can already see they are doing that to some extent with Hollywood in terms of getting concessions made to them, and while not critical supply chain it does reduce the west's influence on the world and silences criticism of China.

So, do I have to draw you a picture or are you too busy sticking crayons up your nose to form a proper response?
If your tactic for winning over people is scaring them for going for something cheaper, then no wonder you find Epic's approach so threatening. There's parties with enough funds to challenge Epic. They're free to do so. I wish they'd do so. But they're busy looking out for their wallets. I can sympathize. I'm looking after mine too. At the end of the day, I still have the same amount of money but I'm ahead by one game so thanks Epic. And if the commies end up dictating how games are made, that's ok, I don't have to buy them. I've had plenty of practice not buying since I've never actually spent anything on Epic's store. Same thing with SJW crap already in games, I ain't paying for it but I'll claim it if they give out for free.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like that leak was true.
So next week we can expect Borderlands Handsome collection, and the following week ARK Survival Evolved

Nice.

Kenpachii

Oh so like amazon then.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Oh so like amazon then.
And think what they did to small retailers. Now imagine China doing that to the world. Oh right they did, which is why all the manufacturing jobs are gone and the middle class got ripped to shreds.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

RScrewed

If your tactic for winning over people is scaring them for going for something cheaper, then no wonder you find Epic's approach so threatening. There's parties with enough funds to challenge Epic. They're free to do so. I wish they'd do so. But they're busy looking out for their wallets. I can sympathize. I'm looking after mine too. At the end of the day, I still have the same amount of money but I'm ahead by one game so thanks Epic. And if the commies end up dictating how games are made, that's ok, I don't have to buy them. I've had plenty of practice not buying since I've never actually spent anything on Epic's store. Same thing with SJW crap already in games, I ain't paying for it but I'll claim it if they give out for free.

Not that any of this discussion belongs in the "Epic Store Free Games" thread, thank you for taking the time from "removing the crayons from your nose "to form this response because it's how I feel too.

Capitalists are always capitalists unless someone from another country swoops in with competition. If all this means domestic game stores have to lower their prices to compete, so be it, the winners are consumers. This is a worldwide digital marketplace, it's not like WalMart running your mom-and-pop shops out of business because physical brick-and-mortar businesses cannot react or shift focus or relocate fast enough.

Shmunter

EZrS_EYU0AEnaYe

Overcooked! is free on EGS now

according to wario

If you are wondering what happened to ARK, speculation is the free giveway was tied to this event, which was delayed, so the free giveaway is being delayed as well

EZrYjlPU0AEjsOA

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Nice link bro.

Anyway, they already gave it away some time ago. They're getting stingy.

Kenpachii

Hoped to get some higher quality titles for a longer period. Seems like a downgrade now from 2 games to 1 game at this point.

Top Bottom