• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

b0uncyfr0

What are ppl spending their coupon on? Im lkn for a good open world game or a great platformer (Ori, maybe not as difficult as Hollow)?

Also does the 'use coupon on a $15+ game and get another one' still apply?

evanft

What are ppl spending their coupon on? Im lkn for a good open world game or a great platformer (Ori, maybe not as difficult as Hollow)?

Ori games are on Game Pass, so I'd play them there.

I picked up Far Cry 5 and Outer Wilds for about $5/each.

Jethalal

Banned
Crying Suns this week and Star Wars Battlefront 2 for the next.

eTuU4CX.jpg

Battlefront 2 has to be top 5 biggest free games by them.

Jethalal

Banned
Is BF2 any good these days or still not worth even for free?
Personally haven't played it but the general consensus is that it has improved a lot and is actually pretty good now. Anyways it's free, so what's the harm in trying.

manfestival

The community is still pretty active. I hop on from time to time. I do use the quick search but I rarely have issues finding matches in most modes. Though there are dead times for sure. Every steam sale and this provide pretty good boosts to the community. It is beyond worth it at free since there is decent coop content and the campaign is fine. Despite being dumb

I had crying suns on my steam wishlist for sometime. I am happy that they made it free. I tried their demo and really liked it but I was short on time(sadly I feel I have less time since the start of the new year). So I will eventually get to this.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Battlefront 2 is a very casual Battlefield with Star Wars theme. But the atmosphere is outstanding. It is almost shocking how it makes you feel you are in the movies.

If EA stop being so afraid of confusing the casual crowd and put more meat in the Battlefront 3, it will be incredible. The aircraft battles are a lot more fun than I anticipated.

Patrick S.

Banned

I spent one on Red Dead Redemption 2, got another and bought Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order with that.

PsyEd

Well for PC you're not limited to the minuscule number of "skins" it has plus there are number of quality mods out there if you get bored. And MP is pretty solid and this free CE from epic will give it the much needed boost of players the PC version needed.

Here's a sample of game running on XsX in "Heroes vs Villains" mode where my favorite Han Solo shooting first to clear up the baddies outside the Mos Eisley Cantina before some drinks with boys...

Game had very high production values and the CE version has even more stuff in it. And I highly recommend you get it if you never played it, there is a SP component of the game that has a Luke Skywalker segment where you play as him and that's the best looking stage + best lines in the game IMHO.

So worth a "try" at least (/smirks in yoda)

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
SWBF2 is consided which version of BF engine?
Is it a very old game?
I don't know which engine it uses but it looks great on my PS4. I could say it looks as good as BF1 and BF5, actually looks better because of light saber effects and all.

Crying Suns this week and Star Wars Battlefront 2 for the next.

eTuU4CX.jpg

Battlefront 2 has to be top 5 biggest free games by them.
Does this mean BFII will be free forever if you grab it between those dates?

Or just free to play between those dates and then you can't play it anymore after Jan 21?

Perrott

Gold Member
SWBF2 is consided which version of BF engine?
Is it a very old game?
Last time they attached a number to the engine was Frostbite 3 in 2013, which powered Battlefield 4 and some other titles from EA's 2013/2014 lineup.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 would've been running on Frostbite 5 if they just hasn't stopped numbering each new version of the engine.

13th

Neo Member
SWBFII is technically the game that reached the end of it's lifecycle, I only hope that by giving it away for free, it means that people have at least several years to properly enjoy the multiplayer, as and if the next Battlefront, I assume Battlefront III is already in development, it will be difficult to enjoy this one as the vast majority of players will move on to a newer game.

Does this mean BFII will be free forever if you grab it between those dates?

Or just free to play between those dates and then you can't play it anymore after Jan 21?
You need to grab it between the dates, then it's in your library like any game you purchased (as long as epic has the right to have it on their store, or they are in business).

BTW, I have more games on epic than on Steam by now.... Not a penny spent.

perkelson

still amazed at how generous epic games has been. i feel like steam is gonna have to do something now

Almost as if you need to invest in order to establish yourself in market. For comparison typical amount of time for restaurant to turn profitable in market is about 2 years. (not pay loan in full but be on green instead of red monthly)

Get gamepass, it's great value if you game on PC or xbox 🤦.

No longer 1$. It is i think 20$ right now a month. So no longer amazing as it used to be.

GHG

still amazed at how generous epic games has been. i feel like steam is gonna have to do something now

What for exactly?

The steam ecosystem is still flourishing years after Epic started aggressively giving away free games.

Epic are still playing catch up in every sense. Once there is feature parity then we can talk.

vpance

Looks like that game has a TON of DLC. Is the base game still worthwhile? I know it's an odd question for a free game but I'd like to know before starting the game.

Seems like it's in a similar spot as Stellaris or Civ. Base game is flawed. Usually how it goes with 4X games these days.

Fuz

Banned
If they did then the EGS would be the most popular place to buy and play games on the platform. It's not.
This is bull. It's not because steam is a de facto monopoly. People go by default on steam to buy. Often you see labes such as "GAME is available on PS4, XboX and steam!". And so on.

I hate Epic's paid exclusivity*, it's shitty and doesn't do good for anyone, but it's the only way they have to try to compete with steam.

*as much as steam exclusivity, ofc.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
This is bull. It's not because steam is a de facto monopoly. People go by default on steam to buy. Often you see labes such as "GAME is available on PS4, XboX and steam!". And so on.

I hate Epic's paid exclusivity*, it's shitty and doesn't do good for anyone, but it's the only way they have to try to compete with steam.

*as much as steam exclusivity, ofc.

No its not, pricing is the perfect way to compete. Instead of buying up exclusivity, they could spen that money giving everyone who buys game X a 15€ discount, paid by Epic.

I would have bought and used their store if this was their strategy, fuck buying up exclusivity like some kind of console space.

Anyway saying EGS is cool is on my shitlist

Steam is no monopoly, they just have the best service.

Last edited:

Fbh

A shame Battlefront 2 doesn't have cross play.
Still have some friends on Ps4 that play it from time to time, just not often enough for me to consider getting Ps+

Top Bottom