• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

omlet

Was going to have the Shaman be a Brouni Warlock, but decided against it because I've played with Elements so much already. It kind of gets old, set up the strong move, throw out the color-coded nuke, repeat. That said, I also tried to steer clear of too much set-up with my team. No stances, no long Chains, no Charge moves, and nothing in need of a constant refresh (like the Front/Rear Guard of the past games I played). Plans wil be something that I figure in battle rather than a pre-determined "do X then Y then Z."
On the other hand, after playing every game in the series, EOV will be the first one where I actually use an elemental linker team as my main exploration team. Every other game I've either not really messed with that kind of team, or only put one together in the postgame for the sake of completion or trying it out.

Spam AOEs. The body is the main one so focus on bringing that down while trying to keep the adds thinned out. You did lock out the sides right?

Also don't bother with binds or ailments cause it's immune to those.

Damn, didn't think to lock out the sides lol

Sometimes I wonder, with all the etrian odyssey games I've played. why I still forget to bring Ariadne Thread. Just got ambushed by some bats after barely surviving the berry canine trio.

I forgot because in the EOU games Threads were almost worthless since iirc you could just tap on stairs to warp back to where you wanted

omlet

I'm in favor of getting all spells evenly early in the game. Better to have the diversification when you're progressing and will need to be ready to deal with anything. Fire is probably the most useful element in the first five floors, but there are enemies weak to thunder and ice, too.

Rutger

Banned
Sometimes I wonder, with all the etrian odyssey games I've played. why I still forget to bring Ariadne Thread. Just got ambushed by some bats after barely surviving the berry canine trio.

I always buy two. If I forget to restock then I have a backup, and if have to use that backup then it reminds me to buy more first thing after leaving the labyrinth.

I'm in favor of getting all spells evenly early in the game. Better to have the diversification when you're progressing and will need to be ready to deal with anything. Fire is probably the most useful element in the first five floors, but there are enemies weak to thunder and ice, too.
lightning probably is the best for the boss as well even though it's not weak to it

FluxWaveZ

I have a question as an EO newcomer: is it actually a good idea to make more characters than a 5-party team, and regularly swap people out to tackle different situations? Egar at the Guild seems to think that's a good idea, but I assume EXP isn't shared between every single character you've created. So it kinda sounds better to just focus on leveling the 5 characters you came up with initially?

PK Gaming

I have a question as an EO newcomer: is it actually a good idea to make more characters than a 5-party team, and regularly swap people out to tackle different situations? Egar at the Guild seems to think that's a good idea, but I assume EXP isn't shared between every single character you've created. So it kinda sounds better to just focus on leveling the 5 characters you came up with initially?

I would focus on a single core party. EXP isn't split between active and non-active party members, and the EXP you gain from doing quests/events is extremely valuable. You'll want to be as high leveled as possible for the bosses because they're pretty demanding.

Makonero

I never do this. In EOIII I had a team of farmers ready to get all the rare stuff on each level, but I don't have to do that anymore. So I just stick to my main five.

FluxWaveZ

I would focus on a single core party. EXP isn't split between active and non-active party members, and the EXP you gain from doing quests/events is extremely valuable. You'll want to be as high leveled as possible for the bosses because they're pretty demanding.

I never do this. In EOIII I had a team of farmers ready to get all the rare stuff on each level, but I don't have to do that anymore. So I just stick to my main five.

Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks.

asagami_

Banned

Actually there's a item in this game which allow you to share your experience, so make other characters wouldn't be a bad idea.

spiritfox

Actually there's a item in this game which allow you to share your experience, so make other characters wouldn't be a bad idea.

It's still not a good idea to constantly swap around party members. You get only half xp from the Memory Conch, so you'll have to level up more to make up for the lost xp. There's no good reason to constantly swap around members too.

omlet

Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks.

I look at it another way. Yes, the exp gaps are a factor, but the main thing is that swapping even 1 person around in your party can drastically change the way battles play out.

Maybe others feel differently, but to me one of the core experiences of EO (and one thing that EO has always done better than many other games in the genre) is learning how your party works and being able to use that experience to be able to adapt to various encounters. Having a feel for your party, having a good idea of how turn orders will play out, knowing around how much damage certain skills will do, those are things that will only really come to you, the player, from experience. The game gives you just enough information to make (fairly) informed decisions, yet still witholds enough to make sure you pay attention (example: there is no turn order indicaton). If you are swapping your main party around you will severely disrupt that rhythm.

At postgame things change a bit, since your characters aren't gaining level/stats/skills anymore it is considerably easier to build and adjust to parties you're not used to.

My suggestion is just use the Memory Conch to feed exp to benched characters and only swap people around if it's going to be a long-term swap. Focus on mastering your core party then in postgame start putting other parties together for specific bosses or just for fun.

Edit: The one thing that I do do is that I feed the majority of my quest exp to a secondary party (in this case, a party of the other 5 classes not in my main team). I find that quest exp is generally overkill for my main party based on my playstyle. However, I can't recommend this practice to a new player, lol. Personally I have 27 characters created so that my memory conch will be doing some heavy lifting, Once I hit postgame I'll have a good pool of mid-level characters to start experimenting with without having to reclass my main team.

Rutger

Banned
I look at it another way. Yes, the exp gaps are a factor, but the main thing is that swapping even 1 person around in your party can drastically change the way battles play out.

Maybe others feel differently, but to me one of the core experiences of EO (and one thing that EO has always done better than many other games in the genre) is learning how your party works and being able to use that experience to be able to adapt to various encounters. Having a feel for your party, having a good idea of how turn orders will play out, knowing around how much damage certain skills will do, those are things that will only really come to you, the player, from experience. The game gives you just enough information to make (fairly) informed decisions, yet still witholds enough to make sure you pay attention (example: there is no turn order indicaton). If you are swapping your main party around you will severely disrupt that rhythm.

At postgame things change a bit, since your characters aren't gaining level/stats/skills anymore it is considerably easier to build and adjust to parties you're not used to.

My suggestion is just use the Memory Conch to feed exp to benched characters and only swap people around if it's going to be a long-term swap. Focus on mastering your core party then in postgame start putting other parties together for specific bosses or just for fun.

Edit: The one thing that I do do is that I feed the majority of my quest exp to a secondary party (in this case, a party of the other 5 classes not in my main team). I find that quest exp is generally overkill for my main party based on my playstyle. However, I can't recommend this practice to a new player, lol. Personally I have 27 characters created so that my memory conch will be doing some heavy lifting, Once I hit postgame I'll have a good pool of mid-level characters to start experimenting with without having to reclass my main team.

This sums up my thoughts on it.
It's fun to watch a core group grow, and to overcome the weaknesses of that group.

For the main game, build a team you like and run with it. In the post game is when it's time to start optimizing parties for fights.

Got all of my main characters to level 20 and find out I'll still need to complete stratum 2 before I can specialize. Was hoping I'd be able to do it sooner. Ah well.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
What weapon should I be using for Shaman? Stay with a staff?
They’re not combat oriented for sure, but I’d like them to contribute a bit more for random skirmishes.

omlet

What weapon should I be using for Shaman? Stay with a staff?
They’re not combat oriented for sure, but I’d like them to contribute a bit more for random skirmishes.

I use a bow on mine because it's an extra stab attack option for my fencer's chains on the occasional turn that she's free to chip in with a normal attack.

Can't decide if I want my Warlock or Celestrian Ailment Botanist in my final party. I just use the glass cannon mage in every EO game and wanted to try something different but idk. I could always do neither and use Masurao I guess. She could aid with my Pug and Rover binds too apparently.

Having a Rover and Necromancer in the same team was getting a bit problematic, so I swapped the Rover for a Harbinger. Things feel like things are going much better, but who knows in the longrun.

Current team is:

Masurao, Harbinger, Fencer
Necromancer, Botanist

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Man, I like the Rover skill tree a lot but the way you have to re-summon the pets every time you re-enter the labyrinth is obnoxious. Couldn't they have just not un-summoned the pets when you go back to town?

I get that I would then have 50 tp that I shouldn't have but you could lower my max TP by 25/pet summoned or lower TP growth so that over time you end up with less TP or just let me have that 50TP. There's just so many options that aren't force me to go into the menu and cast call dog and call hawk every time I leave town.

1upsuper

Can I get away with not using a Botanist? Usually in these games I always bring the designated healer class but the Botanists are so hideous.

Also, is there a good reason to make a certain race reclass to something outside their preference, or are the preferences pretty consistently logical? I usually like to lock my party comp in early and get moving so I'd rather not fart around to much with the racial stuff.

Thanks! Super excited for my copy to arrive tomorrow.

Zweizer

Banned
Can I get away with not using a Botanist? Usually in these games I always bring the designated healer class but the Botanists are so hideous.

Also, is there a good reason to make a certain race reclass to something outside their preference, or are the preferences pretty consistently logical? I usually like to lock my party comp in early and get moving so I'd rather not fart around to much with the racial stuff.

Thanks! Super excited for my copy to arrive tomorrow.

You can Reclass a character from any other race and/or class to Botanist and keep their initial portrait without trouble as soon as you finish the first assigned Mission. A Botanist is not mandatory in any way however.

As noted in the OP, the default races generally function fine with their assigned classes, but there's always ways to optimize certain things due to different stats growth based on Race. A Celestrian Botanist for example would function well for inflicting ailments due to their high LUK.

1upsuper

You can Reclass a character from any other race and/or class to Botanist and keep their initial portrait without trouble as soon as you finish the first assigned Mission. A Botanist is not mandatory in any way however.

As noted in the OP, the default races generally function fine with their assigned classes, but there's always ways to optimize certain things due to different stats growth based on Race. A Celestrian Botanist for example would function well for inflicting ailments due to their high LUK.

Awesome, thanks!

Beartruck

Stuck right at the start. I've been staring at the Guild name entry screen for half an hour! Indecision's a killer folks. Possible names (size permitting):
-The Sparrers
-The Troublemakers
-The Fightpunchers
-The Mythbreakers
-The Treehuggers
-Ygg's and Bacon
-The Fart butts (ok this one's a joke)

Stuck right at the start. I've been staring at the Guild name entry screen for half an hour! Indecision's a killer folks. Possible names (size permitting):
-The Sparrers
-The Troublemakers
-The Fightpunchers
-The Mythbreakers
-The Treehuggers
-Ygg's and Bacon

I like the sound of Troublemakers Guild. That has a nice air of charm about it.

omlet

Character limit is fairly short on guild name, like 10-12 characters iirc? I think most of those won't fit.

I always name my guild the same in every EO game. Munchies.

-The Sparrers
-The Troublemakers
-The Fightpunchers
-The Mythbreakers
-The Treehuggers
-Ygg's and Bacon
The Sparrers makes it sound like the neighborhood gang which is cool and Mythbreakers sounds like a godlike weapon name but without the S. But go with the Troublemakers. A ragtag guild that always manages to scrape by. They seem to cause trouble for other adventurers but the results speak for themselves.
I always go with the name Eternia. Guild Eternia their timeless exploits span the ages. Something epic and cringey at the same time haha.

Beartruck

Wanted to go with Troublemaker, but its a 9 character limit, so my guild is "Troublmkr". Close enough. :/

Edit: Though I kept the tradition of having a healer(Botanist) with the name "Medici". He even has red and white robes. :)

I tend to name mine the Valkyrie Guild. It started off as an entirely-female endeavor but has since branched out to different areas of the world and begun accepting men as well. I never go super deep with character personalities but I like to have some light ones to help me imagine a story for my party as they explore.

FluxWaveZ

Oh damn, I didn't think of having a core party consisting of all four races in the game to cover the different race exploration skills. I've got 2 Earthlains, 2 Celestrians and 1 Brouni. I haven't felt like I've been missing many opportunities with the ones I've got so far in the first Stratum, but it's something I thought about when making a spare Masurao to equip the Memory Conch to.

Makonero

Ever since the first Animal Crossing, I always name places or groups “Dunes.” I just like the way it sounds.

I named all my fighters after the color of their hair because I’m lazy lol.

So I just started paying attention to weapon forging, and it seems like a pretty big deal, since it basically allows you to upgrade your weapons for free. I had mistakenly thought you have to use ingots to forge, but actually you can just use the monster parts the weapon was made from. This changes a lot, and I now understand how this whole forge/recycle loop works.

PK Gaming

Not really impressed with the Elemancer mastery class for the Warlock

Also Mana flow is the biggest skilltrap, don't be suckered into putting points into it...

Beat the amalgolem. What would happen if you didn’t raise the stones and block the other golems? Would they just join the battle?

yes. As someone who kept losing until I was reminded I could do that, having the little ones on right and left be able to join in makes the fightt vastly more difficult

Top Bottom