• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EuroGaf gamer tourist in New York. Share map markers for good XP. Also, Nashville.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm going to the USA first time in my life on 1st Oct. Four days in Nashville for work but prior to that almost 2 weeks of New York in explorer life enjoyer mode.

Aside from the random-ass vanilla middle-aged tourist questline (landmarks, ground zero, natural history museum etc.) I need some intel on good XP under-the-radar side quests, secret locations and missable collectibles from NYGaf and others familiar with the area.

Right now marking my map with https://www.hubneo.com/blog/a-nerd-gamer-survival-guide-to-nyc and just googling away...

Not even sure where I'll be staying, hotels seem either awful (thx yelp and g reviews) or really expensive... I think I found a nice place in Chinatown but I'm still checking options.

Gonna need some pre-paid phone card with unlimited internets.

Will use metro for fast travel but for regular traversal I'll be looking for a single-track mount rent, so a list of places to avoid with long aggro-range NPCs is also very welcome.

So yeah still in the planning phase, any tips to increase my survivability on the adventure - much appreciated!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Where are you from? What else are you thinking about doing? That said these are the things I would recommend to any first time tourist:
-best slice of pizza: NY Pizza Suprema, short walk to Hudson Yards too, although you can't go up on the suicide spire anymore
-pasta: Aunt Jake's
-Great views of ESB: 230 Fifth rooftop bar
-oldest bar in city: McSorley's Old Ale House, it's fun
-Great views of city: take the Staten Island ferry, it's free. Ascent Lounge in Columbus Circle is great but the cocktails are expensive (good, but you're paying for the location)
-great cookies/pastries: Seven Grams Coffee
-cheap eats: Xian Famous Foods, Eisenberg Sandwich, Bobwhite Counter, any bodega get a breakfast sandwich

The on-off bus is also a good use of a day because you can do different tours, uptown/downtown/brooklyn and see a lot of stuff. I did it after I had been living in the city for years and it was fun! Good luck on the hotel. I honestly dont know what I would do if I was looking to book a hotel stay in NYC these days, it's gotten... strange. And I would also recommend, if you are out late, get an uber instead of PT.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Only 4 days in Nashville? Titans are in town on the 1st. Preds don’t start until the 12th though. There’s Broadway, the Opry. If you had more time I’d go down to Lynchburg (about an hour and twenty min drive from Nashville) and do the Jack Daniel’s distillery. But with only 4 days, there’s Broadway.

Bartski

Gold Member
Where are you from? What else are you thinking about doing? That said these are the things I would recommend to any first time tourist:
-best slice of pizza: NY Pizza Suprema, short walk to Hudson Yards too, although you can't go up on the suicide spire anymore
-pasta: Aunt Jake's
-Great views of ESB: 230 Fifth rooftop bar
-oldest bar in city: McSorley's Old Ale House, it's fun
-Great views of city: take the Staten Island ferry, it's free. Ascent Lounge in Columbus Circle is great but the cocktails are expensive (good, but you're paying for the location)
-great cookies/pastries: Seven Grams Coffee
-cheap eats: Xian Famous Foods, Eisenberg Sandwich, Bobwhite Counter, any bodega get a breakfast sandwich

The on-off bus is also a good use of a day because you can do different tours, uptown/downtown/brooklyn and see a lot of stuff. I did it after I had been living in the city for years and it was fun! Good luck on the hotel. I honestly dont know what I would do if I was looking to book a hotel stay in NYC these days, it's gotten... strange. And I would also recommend, if you are out late, get an uber instead of PT.
lovely food tips thanks I'l be checking all that out! Bus tour is on the schedule, maybe even a choppa #yolo
I'm also into modern arts and astronomy and looking out for exhibitions, MoMA etc.

Bartski

Gold Member
Only 4 days in Nashville? Titans are in town on the 1st. Preds don’t start until the 12th though. There’s Broadway, the Opry. If you had more time I’d go down to Lynchburg (about an hour and twenty min drive from Nashville) and do the Jack Daniel’s distillery. But with only 4 days, there’s Broadway.
thanks man, thing is I'm there 14-16.10 for work, very little downtime except for evenings when I'll be likely way too tired to do anything but I'll try. Maybe on the last day!

Top Bottom