• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Comic Con 2012 lOTl Cosplayers, Video games, Comics, and Panels oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

I know it's cliche, but Yelp has almost never let me down as far as finding great restaurants in NYC goes. Pretty much any 4 star restaurant is fantastic. I've found a lot of awesome places I definitely wouldn't have found otherwise.

But yeah, as other have said, unfortunately there really aren't any good food options close to the Javits. It's basically either fast food or the ridiculously overpriced convention food.

Jhoan

Ha!! I am not going all the way to NYC and eating fast food or at a diner!!! XD we don't have to stay in the area, I don't mind taking a cab or hopping on the subway to eat somewhere nice. I don't spending some more money on a dinner ($20-ish a plate) but it would be nice to choose something that is more in the budget of most people, though maybe NYC is always expensive, who knows. I would just love to experience some good food I can't get back home, some place with housemade pasta and local ingredients or something, I dunno. I'm at your mercy NY-Gaf! Help us out! Let's have a tasty dinner! :D
Well if you guys really want to travel and want some Dominican food (which I imagine is practically non-exist in the West Coast), then you guys can come up to my neighborhood (Washington Heights) and check out El Malecón. I don't know if you guys might find the idea of trekking all the way up to Northern Manhattan to have Latin food to be exciting (It's only about 35 minutes away from 34th street). Especially given the small amount of time that you guys are going to be here for. Don't listen to my babble though. Fallengorn and Samus have made some great recommendations that don't require you to travel far (save for Brooklyn).

In terms of pizza, I heard Joe's Pizza is pretty damn good; I think it's on Bleecker Street (West 4th street stop via the A train or 1 train to Bleecker St. from 34th st.). There's also Artichoke Basille's Pizza near Union Square (from 34th st. take either the A or 1 train to 14 st., transfer to the Brooklyn bound L train, get off at 14 st Union Square, walk East until you see two pizzerias next to each other; recommend taking the 1 train since you only need to take it to one stop as opposed to 2 via the A train) which I went to with several Gaffers during a GAF meet up. While I've never really had it, several NYC Gaffers swear that it's good. I only had a small piece, but I can attest to being good. Plus the slices are pretty thick and a bigger than normal pizza slices.
I know it's cliche, but Yelp has almost never let me down as far as finding great restaurants in NYC goes. Pretty much any 4 star restaurant is fantastic. I've found a lot of awesome places I definitely wouldn't have found otherwise.

But yeah, as other have said, unfortunately there really aren't any good food options close to the Javits. It's basically either fast food or the ridiculously overpriced convention food.
Yes indeed, Yelp has done wonders to find some pretty damn good bars in the city as well as eateries.

I updated the roster and added two videos to the OP underneath the banner. They are Show Tips/tips that we've constantly mentioned in this thread and Artist Alley Tips. Kristen is the one that's in charge of recruiting us and she's pretty great, so you'll get entertained by the video if nothing else. I recommend that Comic Con newbies watch it; Veterans will roll their eyes and scoff at it since they already know the tips that she mentions.

DaveH

Depending on how you're getting into New York, across from the Port Authority is Schnipper's Quality Kitchen which is a good burger / American Traditional place when they're on point. If they're hectic the wait and quality control can be an issue. Giant glass walls adjacent to the New York Times building so you can just glance inside to see if there's a long standing line. If the schedule's right, you used to be able to go to the Waffles and Dinges truck afterwards for dessert.

If you're approaching from Penn Station / MSG and on the go, The Soup Spot is good. Otherwise pick up food from Sergimmo Salumeria or Sullivan Street Bakery.

If you want to sit down, take your time, and eat... the city's your oyster!

It's really telling about my nerdery that the thing I'm most excited for the entire weekend, in the sea of Firefly reunions, Walking Dead Panels, and other "events" is the chance that I might get to meet Joel Hodgson in real life.

And maybe I'll get super lucky and bump into a wild Gary Whitta but I feel like a weird barrier between me and the internet will come crumbling down in a scary way.

Tom_Cody

This show exclusive will be mine:

GkPem.jpg

Marvel Exclusive NYCC 2012 Rocket Raccoon Mug by Joe Quesada
(Price: $12.00 each)
Everyone wants a good cup o’ joe, but some mornings you just need a drink that’s out of this world! Get ready to protect the Marvel Universe with this limited-edition coffee mug featuring Guardians of the Galaxy favorite Rocket Raccoon, as depicted by Marvel Chief Creative Officer & superstar artist, Joe Quesada, in an all-new piece of art!

I'm curious to know what is one everyone else's shopping lists.

MG310

I might grab that mug as well, and this Dark Knight Returns Christmas ornament from the Hallmark booth. (25 dollars I believe)

hallmark_SDCC_2012_batman.jpg

If you guys are looking for food/beer sorta in the area, check out Beer Authority. They have like 40 beers on tap and tons more in bottles, and the food is excellent. Roof deck too. It's right next to Port Authority

Jhoan

If you guys are looking for food/beer sorta in the area, check out Beer Authority. They have like 40 beers on tap and tons more in bottles, and the food is excellent. Roof deck too. It's right next to Port Authority

I must have passed by this place a billion times and I never noticed this place until now. I think that's a perfect; it's near the Javits Center plus good beer and food is a killer combination. I don't know if that sounds good to you guys. Hopefully, it won't be too cold during those days or worse, raining. I suppose I'll bring this place up with some coworkers as well.

By the way folks, I've updated the OP with the link to Nirolak's thread on the location/date for the Sleeping Dogs DLC announcement/ the Hitman: Absolution demo. You'll find it under the Autograph/Events of Interest column. I'm going to try to make it to them on a break or get assigned to work there. There are 7 Days to go so prepare yourselves.

I don't drink myself, but as long as there's good food there too it sounds like a good place for a meetup :). Anyone else down? Friday or Sat night after the show closes?

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Apologies for barging in, but you can find a megaton of information on Sleeping Dogs' activity at NYCC through here.

In a tweet-sized nutshell, we're going to NYCC to demo new story DLC & we need your questions for our discussion panel.

Sadly I'm way too busy right now to check this thread frequently, so please PM me or drop a comment on the article I linked to.

Looking forward to seeing you there :)

Jhoan

Apologies for barging in, but you can find a megaton of information on Sleeping Dogs' activity at NYCC through here.

In a tweet-sized nutshell, we're going to NYCC to demo new story DLC & we need your questions for our discussion panel.

Sadly I'm way too busy right now to check this thread frequently, so please PM me or drop a comment on the article I linked to.

Looking forward to seeing you there :)

It's not a problem at all. You guys are going to be there so that's relevant to this thread.
See it's funny because I haven't played it yet; my brother still has our copy which I've been dying to play. But I enjoyed the demo.

Will do; I'll add your post to the OP thanks for the link. I'm really looking forward to seeing the announcement if I can make it.

Tom_Cody

A much better panel schedule has been posted:

http://nycc12.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/

I don't know how long this has been up but I'm just seeing it now. As I have said throughout this thread, my advice to anyone that has not gone before is to make a schedule for yourself. Even with advanced planning I have missed things that I did not know about until after the fact. If you want to go to the big events you are going to have to budget your time wisely.

Edit: lol, nevermind. That page is horribly broken. The spreadsheet falls apart due to all the autograph listings.

Shadow780

I don't usually start planning until the night before, even then I still don't get the full picture.

Is the show floor map on mobile app yet? It's been weeks!

Tom_Cody

I don't usually start planning until the night before, even then I still don't get the full picture.

I mainly just scan the panel list and see who is going to be appearing. Panels can be the best thing ever if you are a fan of someone or some property. It is just a fantastic feeling to see someone you really like/admire in person and potentially even get to ask a question. I know I personally have a few 'must attends'.

I remember going to the Dollhouse panel with Whedon before that show debuted for example. Great memory.
Fantastic. That's exactly what I've been looking for.

MG310

Right now it looks like I'm going to try to get into the Geoffrey Zakarian thing, Street Fighter 25th Anniversary (which should be fairly easy to get into seeing as its on Thursday), and Remember Me.

Tom_Cody

I have been to a few of these now but can someone explain how artist commissions work? I watched this video but it wasn't very helpful.

Is it fair game to mention any character/person to be sketched? Or is there some other procedure? I guess I can just individual artists the day of but I sort want to know more about it in general in advance.

MG310

Yeah, you just have to ask around. I haven't seen anyone refuse a certain character yet (though I did get a "really?" from Michael Gaydos when I asked for a Jessica Jones a few years ago)

Also if you have an artist you would like something from specifically see if they are still taking pre-show commissions (though it's getting pretty close). Otherwise get there as soon as the Artist Alley opens each day.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll be there on both Friday and Saturday, hope to hit up both the Yoshitaka Amano and Megurine Luka panels. I will wear a Tiesto tshirt or something so say hi if you see me, lol. Kinda sad I didn't get a Sunday pass since I wanted to see the Vocaloid panel that day. Would have also loved to get Amano's autograph on my FF1 Famicom box (next to Uematsu's!) but sadly I can't see myself catching the train in at the crack of dawn and then waiting on line.

Are there any after-parties? I went to an S-E one last year with open bar that was pretty awesome.

I'd definitely be in for a meetup, either during or after the con... so get to work on setting it up Jipan :p

Tom_Cody

Yeah, you just have to ask around. I haven't seen anyone refuse a certain character yet (though I did get a "really?" from Michael Gaydos when I asked for a Jessica Jones a few years ago)

Also if you have an artist you would like something from specifically see if they are still taking pre-show commissions (though it's getting pretty close). Otherwise get there as soon as the Artist Alley opens each day.
Cool. I don't know why I have been shy about this in the past. I will have multiple ideas ready in case some get deflected.

BiggNife

It's on the Android version of the app, at least. It's kind of a crappy map but it serves its purpose I guess. If the map doesn't show up right away, wait a couple minutes because it might have to download new content to your phone.

On the other hand, the app also seems to have a habit of randomly crashing and freezing. The more I try to use it the more frustrated I get. Great idea in theory, but it was clearly rushed.

Also, I think I might be skipping panels this year. I've always found that there's more than enough stuff to do on the show floor, and unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the two panels I was kinda interested in (one is on Thursday and the other is literally 15 minutes after I get off work on Friday so there's no way I'd get there in time). The problem that I have with panels is that they're awfully time consuming - expect to get to a panel room at least 45 minutes to an hour in advance, especially since they don't clear out rooms between panels (which sucks, but the argument is that they would have significantly less time for panels if they had to clear out every time so I understand why they don't do it).

Some video game stuff has been posted (in addition to the Squenix stuff), which I imagine will interest GAFfers:

-Sony will have GoW Ascension, PSASBR, LBP Karting, and a bunch of Vita stuff. Also free 30-day PS+ vouchers!

-Capcom will have both the 3DS and Wii U versions of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate in a room separate from their floor booth. No details on the other stuff in the booth yet, as far as I can tell.

-I briefly mentioned this earlier, but Namco is going to have a full scale arcade at their ShiftyLook booth, complete with tournaments and chiptunes and such. In addition, they will have Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni, and their Wii U launch games at their regular booth.

If I find more I'll post it in this thread.

MG310

Sony posted this on facebook...1 block east from the Javits center.

http://www.facebook.com/events/468848716492912/

New York! Come to Skylight West (500 West 36th Street) this Thursday, October 11th to compete in PlayStation All-Stars! Come early to practice your fighting skills before the (friendly) single-elimination tournament begins at 7:00pm. The final four fighters will win a free copy of PlayStation All-Stars for PS3 and PS Vita, and the overall champion will win one of our new UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition Hardware bundles for the new slim PS3 console. This is one party you won't want to miss!

Jhoan

I'll be there on both Friday and Saturday, hope to hit up both the Yoshitaka Amano and Megurine Luka panels. I will wear a Tiesto tshirt or something so say hi if you see me, lol. Kinda sad I didn't get a Sunday pass since I wanted to see the Vocaloid panel that day. Would have also loved to get Amano's autograph on my FF1 Famicom box (next to Uematsu's!) but sadly I can't see myself catching the train in at the crack of dawn and then waiting on line.

Are there any after-parties? I went to an S-E one last year with open bar that was pretty awesome.

I'd definitely be in for a meetup, either during or after the con... so get to work on setting it up Jipan :p
I'm thinking about going with Beer Authority. A beer or two from that place would be nice. As for at the Con, I don't know what time people would want to meet up at on Friday given that I'll be there some time around 7PM or so. By that time, the Show Floor's probably going to be closed. Saturday, I'll be working the whole day but if people want to meet up afterwards, I wouldn't mind. I can't stay out to late on Saturday night though since I have to be at the Con by 8AM on Sunday.

As to your query about after parties I found this link that might be of use to you (and everyone else) which I'll also add to the OP:http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/10/05/nycc-2012-new-york-comic-con-parties/

Now that I think about it, a meet up at an after party wouldn't be so bad after all. I'll look through that list. If you guys like one that sticks out, propose it. There's a ton of them and no entrance charge for most of them.
go to cheetahs, its a great family establishment
7wAfu.jpg

---
All right guys there's exactly 3.5 days left. Who's ready? Can't say I'm really looking forward to working again; I dread having to wake up at 6:30AM on Saturday and Sunday. I still don't know what the color of the Crew shirt is this year, but I'll let you all know by Wednesday since co-workers going to go pick up their passes and shirts on that day. This means that eventually, they will post the shirt color on the Facebook group page.

I've updated the roster. I also wanted to point out that the tickets to NYCC are now sold out on both the site and secondhand stores (I imagine). So said one of my coworkers in the group page. eBay tickets are still going strong, but good luck blowing extra cash to expedite it; the prices are ridiculous for 3 and 4 Day passes.

Jhoan

A couple of parties of interest between Friday and Saturday that I took from the link:

Friday:

This one's a couple of blocks north from the Javits Center. It sounds like fun. Meet up there afterwards?
THE BIG NYCC PARTY
WHERE: The Houndstooth Pub, 520 8th Ave. – 8pm-Midnight
PRICE: $10
WHAT: Nope, your eyes don’t deceive you: this is the same exact location as the Mary Sue/Her Universe meet-up. This party, though, benefits The Hero Initiative, and features Image Comics superstars Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples, Justin Jordan, Tradd Moore, Sina Grace, and more. Side-note: I don’t know if you could head to the Mary Sue meet-up and sneak into this, but be nice, it’s for a good cause you jerks.

DRINKS FOR A CURE
WHERE: Idle Hands Bar, 25 Ave. B – 9pm-??
PRICE: FREE
WHAT: The iFanboys host a party with Shirts For A Cure… But the real draw is DJing from Rick Remender and Jerome Opena, which means anyone who goes to this party will die in incredibly gut-wrenching and surprising ways.
Saturday:
you can always make your own awards show.

COMIC CON AFTER PARTY
WHERE: The Studio at Webster Hall, 125 E. 11th St. – 11pm-4am
PRICE: $30, or free with a NYCC badge
WHAT: It’s a Star Wars themed dance party at NYC’s iconic Webster Hall. Plus, dubstep by Steven Lions. I understand what one of those things is!

It looks like this one requires that one buy the ticket in advance.
3RD ANNUAL GGN #NYCC GEEK-OUT
WHERE: STITCH Bar & Lounge, 247 W. 47th St. - 8pm
PRICE: $5
WHAT: Geek Girls Network offers a chill hang-out after the Con's big day, with some free swag. As of posting time, this was almost sold out, so snag yer tix quick.

There's plenty of other events happening before Friday, but since it's on a week day, it shall be tough given that I need to catch on my readings for my classes. I would like to go to this on Wednesday though; the writer of Deadpool plus the creator of Fables live:

THE BROOKLYN DEFENDER PINT NIGHTS
WHERE: New York Beer Company, 321 W. 44th St. – 6pm-8pm
PRICE: FREE, but must be 21+
WHAT: Same as above, but different location and day. You figured that out though, right?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Some more interesting things to buy:

Paolo Rivera will have his first convention book for sale: http://paolorivera.blogspot.com/2012/10/nycc-2012-info.html

Mockingbird in the pop culture art thread posted about some Transformers and GI Joe prints Hasbro will have for sale: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42799800&postcount=3901

Mondo is going to have a booth, but I have no idea what they have planned for an exclusive. It's good bet it might be Walking Dead related. I think the other rumor was something based on Halloween.

Penguin

Haven't worked out panels or anything yet.. who needs scheduling!

But I am only doing Thurs-Sat this year me thinks.
And most of Thurs will be on the showfloor with any shiny games!

orion434

I will be attending with a 3-Day Pass on Friday / Saturday / Sunday. My wife and I really want to get in for the Walking Dead Cast.

Jhoan

I will be attending with a 3-Day Pass on Friday / Saturday / Sunday. My wife and I really want to get in for the Walking Dead Cast.

Good luck man. Evil Dead plus this is going to huge. If you can make it/have any interest in it, then go to the Evil Dead panel and stay in your seats for the Walking Dead. You don't want to make a line for it because again, there's going to be hell to pay. I added you to the OP.

If there's any last minute people that need to be added, post in the thread and I will add you. I *might* be doing something else on Friday night as a change of plans. I was gonna go to Barcade to meet up with game devs, but I think I'm still gonna head down to the Con, and maybe if I'm feeling up for it, go to Barcade. If you guys still want to meet up let me know by Friday at latest and pick a time/place; I'm still down for that. The Barcade is every month (why this Friday on Comic Con, I do not know).

Otherwise, you guys are free to meet up independently; I'm going to be pretty busy throughout the weekend, so I won't have a lot time if any to properly meet up with you all save for Friday/maybe Saturday night, but I'll see you folks on the Show Floor for the rest of weekend, if you guys happen to have me boss you around in a line for something or possibly kick you off the Show Floor when it closes.

I have an update for you guys. The Crew shirt color has been posted. It is Hot Orange with black lettering that says Crew on the back. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get home. The Crew Pass has a Walking Dead zombie head on it; it looks pretty cool. You guys already know what I look like (see the first page); I'll post one last picture in the Picture thread later tonight and cross post it here.

Again, if anyone's going to go Panel A tomorrow afternoon/night after 4, feel free to say hi to me or yell out my GAF name. Conversely, if you spot me in the wild, do say hi to me. I'm going to draw a decent sized GAF logo on the front of my shirt/make myself stand out. Panel A is going to be pretty chill though for the first day so I don't expect a lot of people there.

Penguin

Honestly.. best advice.. is to.. just camp out in the IGN theater

They don't clear the room after every panel so usually people get there early and just make a day of it.

Bring snacks.. and they have bathroom time in-between panels.

BiggNife

Here's what you do, go there at 10am, sit your ass down for the entire day.

Honestly.. best advice.. is to.. just camp out in the IGN theater

They don't clear the room after every panel so usually people get there early and just make a day of it.

Bring snacks.. and they have bathroom time in-between panels.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of panels, especially the big ones. There's always so much to do on the show floor that I couldn't justify spending an entire day on just panels, especially if I'd only be sitting through most of them to get to the panel I really want to see at the end of the day. If you guys want to do it be my guest, but that just isn't my cup of tea.

rCIZZLE

Your biggest problem is going to be the Firefly panel being held in the same room right after Walking Dead. Good luck though. I was at the first WD panel back in 2010 and it was a lot of fun.

orion434

Good luck man. Evil Dead plus this is going to huge. If you can make it/have any interest in it, then go to the Evil Dead panel and stay in your seats for the Walking Dead. You don't want to make a line for it because again, there's going to be hell to pay. I added you to the OP.

If there's any last minute people that need to be added, post in the thread and I will add you. I *might* be doing something else on Friday night as a change of plans. I was gonna go to Barcade to meet up with game devs, but I think I'm still gonna head down to the Con, and maybe if I'm feeling up for it, go to Barcade. If you guys still want to meet up let me know by Friday at latest and pick a time/place; I'm still down for that. The Barcade is every month (why this Friday on Comic Con, I do not know).

Otherwise, you guys are free to meet up independently; I'm going to be pretty busy throughout the weekend, so I won't have a lot time if any to properly meet up with you all save for Friday/maybe Saturday night, but I'll see you folks on the Show Floor for the rest of weekend, if you guys happen to have me boss you around in a line for something or possibly kick you off the Show Floor when it closes.

I have an update for you guys. The Crew shirt color has been posted. It is Hot Orange with black lettering that says Crew on the back. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get home. The Crew Pass has a Walking Dead zombie head on it; it looks pretty cool. You guys already know what I look like (see the first page); I'll post one last picture in the Picture thread later tonight and cross post it here.

Again, if anyone's going to go Panel A tomorrow afternoon/night after 4, feel free to say hi to me or yell out my GAF name. Conversely, if you spot me in the wild, do say hi to me. I'm going to draw a decent sized GAF logo on the front of my shirt/make myself stand out. Panel A is going to be pretty chill though for the first day so I don't expect a lot of people there.

On the NY Comic-Con site it says that they will be giving out the Tickets for the Walking dead for FREE, but you must wait in a designated line, the Center opens at 7am so the wife and I are going to get there as soon as the doors open and then wait in line. When we bought the 3-day pass The Walking Dead were not reveled as guests, I was kinda dragging my wife to the show. Now she's checking the site, looking into info and she's drawing up the day-plan! haha

m0dus

Banned
SousouRocket and myself are flying in today, will be there Friday through Sunday. Pm me for meetup, people.

anyone want to go in a bet how many times "gangnam style" will be played?

If it is like most recent conventions there will be at least three people trying to make music videos of people in costume with that song. This was big before that song hit the mainstream, I cannot imagine how it is now.

My wife and I will be there on Sunday since multiple days just are not worth it for us with the lack of decent nearby hotels. Should be fun though, I will be prancing around in my black Spider-Man spandex for most of the day.

So I got my Saturday and Sunday passes in the mail but only ordered Friday late last week so I'll have to pick it up there.

What should I do to prepare for this? How early should I get there? How long will it take to get the pass then get in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom