• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshin

I will admit that I find it difficult to visualize the NX. It needs to be portable, but still include two detachable controllers, which in turn need to be large enough to be functional. I think it will be a hard sell. Much will depend on the price and whatever hook Nintendo can come up with to pull people in.

There's nothing indicating that Nintendo is only planning on releasing this. They were working on an OS development ecosystem like Android or iOS so it would be weird to just have one system

Ok if there is more hardware to be revealed then I agree with you, but if "this is the NX" then we are looking at a portable only generation for Nintendo.

Again that wouldn't necessarily bother me but.. It's quite a gamble tbh.

My hope is that they sell the screen+controllers for $200 and the TV dock (which may or may not provide a computational boost) and possibly include a traditional console controller (Wii U Pro?) for an additional $100-125 upgrade, or combined in a set for $300.

Roo

Not convinced this "leak" is real and I don't think I will be by any rumors/"leaks" until Nintendo unveils it.

Even if this is real, I feel we are missing more than half the picture. All I am seeing right now is a powerful handheld that can also be connected to a TV. This will probably retail for $299 and that will be too much for those that usually buy a handheld. I just don't think this is it.

It sure seems like there's key info missing.
If it's indeed expensive like Emily suggests (and using your $299 price tag as a reference) it definitely will be a hard pill to swallow for those who were handheld-only users.

120v

Nintendo cannot afford for the NX to be seen as a 1.5 Wii U upgrade, seeing how the ancient tech in the Wii U is a big reason for its flop. They have to make clear immediately that the NX is substantially more powerful than Wii U and can compete with Xbone and PS4. Think the Tegra X1 will do this?

they can afford it. the audience they're going after couldn't care less if it was a wii U downgrade

random25

Nintendo cannot afford for the NX to be seen as a 1.5 Wii U upgrade, seeing how the ancient tech in the Wii U is a big reason for its flop. They have to make clear immediately that the NX is substantially more powerful than Wii U and can compete with Xbone and PS4. Think the Tegra X1 will do this?

The ancient tech in the Wii U is not the primary reason it flopped. It's more like its core concept, or gimmick if you will, just never clicked with the mainstream.

Competing with XB1 and PS4 is a ship that already sailed. Too late to do that now given their solid hold in install base and we're already like 3-4 years in the generation before this thing comes out. They're probably aiming to a totally different target market, especially since we're seeing this as a handheld device, and Nintendo pretty much controls dedicated handheld gaming even if mobile is huge right now.

antonz

they can afford it. the audience they're going after couldn't care less if it was a wii U downgrade

Nintendo is going after an audience that doesn't give a shit about Nintendo. We do not know if there is even an audience for a handheld anymore. People keep automatically assuming 3DS or better sales. NX could come out as a handheld and sell no better than 20 million units.

if anything Nintendo is in a position where there is no easy answer.

Honestly question: who is going to have an NX with them but not a phone?

They could make some mobile games on the platform, but I just don't see a reason why they would.

I read this when I was in the train to work 20 minutes ago. Right next to me were some of those "kids". After reading psyfi's comment I had to make this photo to illustrate which challenge Nintendo really awaits with their mobile-heavy concept:

kidsthesedaysm3qyd.png

And yes, all four were playing some mobile games (the one in the middle was just watching), but not PGo ;).

Long story short, I guess almost every kid older than 10 has a smartphone these days. At least those wo are also potential candidates for a Nintendo NX console, that is.

Vuze

No, it really wasnt.

Name, useless tablet controller, lacklustre launch and a slow as molasses flow of first party support and essentially NO third party support.

Specs were the least of its problems.
Yup, I also agree with this. Horrible marketing alongside a name and appearance that the average buyer would equal to a silly accessorie to the existing Wii might have been the biggest reasons.

I read this when I was in the train to work 20 minutes ago. Right next to me were some of those "kids". After reading psyfi's comment I had to make this photo to illustrate which challenge Nintendo really awaits with their mobile-heavy concept:

kidsthesedaysm3qyd.png

And yes, all four were playing some mobile games, but not PGo ;).

We're all phone zombies now :/

Astral Dog

Why do they have to compete with the Xbone and PS4?

They said it themselves, blue ocean strategy.

ironically you go to any marketing class and they talk about differentiating your product "innovate" and pull Blue Ocean stuff, wich is so important, instead of chasing the common game and competitors Nintendo made their own thing, and had their biggest success in the Wii and DS. considering their overall strenghts and weaknesses.

of course it wont always work, but another thing is to expect Nintendo to brute force their way into Sony and Microsoft playingfield,

lets see how it goes.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
For someone who does mostly home console gaming, what would be the appeal of NX over Wii U besides "more Nintendo games"? And what exactly did Nintendo think competitors would copy if they showed this at E3? I really think we are missing some major pieces of the puzzle.

Yea if you mostly do console gaming...none really.

For those that didnt really play or get a Wii U, a Nintendo home console is the appeal. I had a Wii U, barely played it. Played it so lil, bought only 2 games for it and I got it when it launched. You may as well say I didnt have one.

I think this is aimed at the handheld players tho. That dont have to worry about buying a Nintendo home console to play Nintendo home console games. And aimed at those that didnt get a Wii U. Pretty sure there are alot of those folks out there...

The sales of the 3DS shows there is a big Nintendo audience...its just all in the handheld market. This thing should sell close to current 3DS levels.

straight up comedian on a stage level.

Then perhaps Chinner's jokes can sway my wretched heart and take me to bliss. But I would need to see his next joke for such salvation.

That said though, if this product can provide SEAMLESS transition between playing on a handheld and just plugging it into your TV, something that was promised when the Vita first came out? It'll make it that much easier for me to buy it day 1.

psyfi

Banned
Yall: I know kids use smartphones. I've been working with kids for 11+ years. But not all kids have smartphones. In fact, most kids I work with and see around after school don't. Besides, the point I'm making is that Nintendo could possibly put mobile games that don't rely on network usage on the NX. How much kids use phones is irrelevant. Nintendo has no reason to not expand the NX's library when possible.

Yall: I know kids use smartphones. I've been working with kids for 11+ years. But not all kids have smartphones. In fact, most kids I work with and see around after school don't. Besides, the point I'm making is that Nintendo could possibly put mobile games that don't rely on network usage on the NX. How much kids use phones is irrelevant. Nintendo has no reason to not expand the NX's library when possible.

The main thing I worry about with mobile games being on an NX is that many mobile games use data and wifi, I really wouldn't want to attach a data plan to a console. This can't be just the Vita 2.

I agree that not every kid has one. But I doubt that a lot of kids which don't have one (either because they are not allowed to own one or lack the money to buy one) are potential customers for a Nintendo NX console.

By this same logic, wouldn't jumping into try and compete with the PS4 be an extraordinarily bad idea

Not disputing that. In fact I've said it many times before on this forum. Just the argument that this is what kids want, it doesn't hold up. They're well served by mobile these days, which is why Nintendo's position is so difficult. The only market they don't have an uphill struggle with is fans.

Kurt

If this rumor is true, i think it would work like :

You have a tablet screen which you could attach multiple controlls to it. (like the patent a while ago) So you can choose to have 2 analog sticks on the left of the screen or 2 dpad's on the right of the screen. So fully configurable.

Don't think that those parts can be used to play a game without it's been attached to this handheld. Because without a battery included, it won't work?

So there is a separated traditional controller delivered with it, so you can use that when playing on TV.

In the end you can also use the handheld as tablet.
(Maybe it could run Android games? But i don't think so)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

kidsthesedaysm3qyd.png

And yes, all four were playing some mobile games (the one in the middle was just watching), but not PGo ;).

Long story short, I guess almost every kid older than 10 has a smartphone these days. At least those wo are also potential candidates for a Nintendo NX console, that is.

You can't really account for bad taste unfortunately.

I truly believe two things now:

First, Nintendo will double down on the kiddie v and casual market since Sony and Microsoft don't address it.

Second, if Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem mobile are a success, and the NX turns out like Wii U. This will be Nintendo last console. Regardless of how much money that they have in the bank.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
By this same logic, wouldn't jumping into try and compete with the PS4 be an extraordinarily bad idea

This is true.

I have said before if you look back there have only been 2 players in the home console market. 3rd was always a distance 3rd.

Last gen is one of the few times if not the only time when 1-3 have been so close in sales.

BB and MS are experiencing this now in smartphone land. I think the last time 1-3 were close in smartphones was BB, MS and Palm. Palm is no longer here and BB is on the brink of no longer making phones. Hell, regular cell phones became feature phones and they are getting replaced with smartphones.

Maybe in smartphones and home consoles there is only room for 2. I mean I agree with those saying we need competition to keep the market leaders from doing insane things... but yea...you have a point..

KevinCow

Banned

kidsthesedaysm3qyd.png

On the other hand, I see kids with tablets everywhere I go. Any time I see a family dragging their kids around, be it at a restaurant or a store or something, one of those kids is probably holding a tablet.

I could definitely see those kids carrying around an NX tablet instead of an iPad if it was priced well and marketed correctly.

On the other hand, I see kids with tablets everywhere I go. Any time I see a family dragging their kids around, be it at a restaurant or a store or something, one of those kids is probably holding a tablet.

I could definitely see those kids carrying around an NX tablet instead of an iPad if it was priced well and marketed correctly.

Parents would be more likely to buy the cheaper, more durable device that ISN'T their expensive 500 dollar tablet, sure.

I'm seeing some people saying this thing should have access to regular mobile games or the app/play store or something similar and I don't understand it. I don't feel like Mobile Games are the reason people play games on mobile. These devices are things people would carry with them regardless and also if they get bored, they can use them to play games. That's the issue with a gaming-only additional device, you're never going to get anyone to buy an NX instead of a phone, only in addition.

It doesn't enter into competition with something else people might by, it enters into competition for time with something they definitely already have. Putting angry birds or Clash/Crush of whatever they clash and crush these days on the NX wouldn't sell any more units because you can guarantee people already have access to those if they want them. Just stick with putting different high-quality games on the NX and make it worthy as an additional purchase for people who want to play normal games. Personally I'd rather just continue to focus on the eShop or equivalent (which sadly already has a decent amount of shovelware these days but nothing in comparison to mobile).

SwolBro

Banned
i can't imagine this selling all that well

and call me cynical but i think this may be one of the last things nintendo puts out, hardware wise. it's time for them to turn into a software company and become insanely rich. their value would sky rocket if they started releasing games for phones and other consoles.

People dismissing smartphones as a competitor because not all kids have smartphones should realize that only a fraction of kids who don't own a smartphone actually own a handheld. The smartphone is primarily a parent utility for keeping in touch with your kid, the NX is a game console that he is reliable to misplace, break, or simply lose interest in. If you can't or won't buy your kid a smartphone, chances are you won't buy them an NX. Nintendo's NX is aimed at people who don't exist in 2016. They are, once again, in a complete disconnect with their market.

NX will sell in Japan and only in Japan.

And that's because Japan in general is in the same complete disconnect with the world that Nintendo is.

Durante

Spec-wise, yes, the X1 is faster than the Wii U. But the Wii U is a dedicated console plugged into a wall. It can afford to use 70 watts or whatever it uses. A handheld doesn't have that kind of flexibility.
The X1 doesn't need more than 5W to be significantly faster than a Wii U. And that's on 20nm.

(Not that I expect this to be a huge leap from Wii U in portable mode. But they'd need to try very hard to make it as slow as Wii U)

May I ask, in which region you live? I see a lot of kids each day during commuting, and I always see them looking into their phones, but running around with tablets? That's very rare here in Germany. At home, yes, but not en route.

hemo memo

Gold Member
A unified library, no need to buy two separate Nintendo systems, and a return to cartridges. Holy shit it is a good time to be a Nintendo fan.

Only bad part is that I'm still going to have to buy the usual "extra" home console for 3rd party games. Oh well.

You can connect it to a TV, yes but it's a portable that have cartirdges. How is that "return to"?

Power somewhere between a Wii-U and XB1 (but portable).

tumblr_inline_o8fu2i7M3J1roq2vr_500.gif

I guess it's fine for a portable, but I seriously hope it's at least XBO tier when docked and played on tv.

Of course there could also be a more powerful "true" home console coming, but I doubt it.

The NX-files are finally getting revealed for the world to pass a verdict on Nintendo...

Nintendoom? :D

i don't really understand the bookend controllers. like they would slide into the handheld? that would make it bulk and/or small annoying controllers?

Why are people talking about kids? Kids are one if the smallest gamer demographics. Far, far more adults play games than kids. If Nintendo targeted only kids they would fail, which is why they haven't done that since the SNES. Even the original Gameboy was marketed towards adults.

Toparaman

Banned
I don't think NX is intended to be competing with the devices you put in your pockets. Rather the portability of the NX allows you to easily bring the console to friends houses, easily be taken on your vacation/holiday travels, etc.

I can also see kids keeping NXs in their backpacks, whipping it out for a quick game of Mario Kart, Smash, etc. Sure, mobile has kart racers, but they all look and play rather poorly compared to the likes of Mario Kart 8.

NX is probably not going to be a Wii-level success, but I can at least see it doing Gamecube numbers. Which, even though it came in 3rd place in North America, was still a pretty popular console at least where I grew up.

Kraq

Just how large is this tablet gonna be? I usually take my 3DS with me if I know I'm gonna be waiting around for a long time when I go somewhere, and it fits perfectly into my pocket. It defeats the purpose of being a portable system if it's gonna be a pain to carry around, or requires a rucksack at least.

KrawlMan

i don't really understand the bookend controllers. like they would slide into the handheld? that would make it bulk and/or small annoying controllers?

Slide, snap, plug...no idea. It sounds pretty unfortunate to me. I don't want to carry around two small accessory pieces to game.

I'll wait until I see how it's really implemented (if this is real) before I bitch more.

I don't think NX is intended to be competing with the devices you put in your pockets. Rather the portability of the NX allows you to easily bring the console to friends houses, easily be taken on your vacation/holiday travels, etc.

I can also see kids keeping NXs in their backpacks, whipping it out for a quick game of Mario Kart, Smash, etc. Sure, mobile has kart racers, but they all look and play rather poorly compared to the likes of Mario Kart 8.

NX is probably not going to be a Wii-level success, but I can at least see it doing Gamecube numbers. Which, even though it came in 3rd place in North America, was still a pretty popular console at least where I grew up.

And since they wont sell it at a loss, it should generate some money I think it will atleast do GC+Wii U numbers together...what if its called the Gameboy? and the Dock at home is the Nintendo Entertainment System?

About kids and phones: weren't there some rumors floating around about how NX OS would be able to communicate with your cellphone? Like messaging inOS and phone notifications popping up during gameplay?

I mean Nintendo could definitely use your phone data plan in one way or the other. Mobiles apps porting? Ranking everywhere? Some form of online multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom