• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

I read this when I was in the train to work 20 minutes ago. Right next to me were some of those "kids". After reading psyfi's comment I had to make this photo to illustrate which challenge Nintendo really awaits with their mobile-heavy concept:

kidsthesedaysm3qyd.png

And yes, all four were playing some mobile games (the one in the middle was just watching), but not PGo ;).

Long story short, I guess almost every kid older than 10 has a smartphone these days. At least those wo are also potential candidates for a Nintendo NX console, that is.

If NX connects to and runs google play store apps, they could bridge some of the divide between mobile gamers and core gaming.

Shiggy

Success or failure, the 3ds needs replaced just as much... Too say it has life left is silly... Does the 3ds need a 6 month dry spell before it's ready to be replaced too?

No, you follow up before you starve the audience, for the wii i there is no audience to starve.

In this year, Nintendo of Europe has only released titles that were finished last year already. I wouldn't be surprised if even Ever Oasis was completed at this point.

spekkeh

Banned
So the idea of a portable where you can pull out the controllers and do some Mario Kart 8 on the go sounds admittedly neat, but what I have difficulty picturing is how the screen can be big enough for two players to sit some ways away from the device and game on it, while also being small enough for being a portable. It'll either be too fiddly for two or unwieldy for one.

I dunno, the moment the Wii got announced I was incredibly confident it would do great. I was really unsure about Wii U and now I'm really unsure about this. Only way I can see it blow up is if Nintendo manages to get every 3DS owner to convert in a relatively short time, so that the install base catches up to Xbone quickly, and then third party devs start focusing on the NX in favor of Xbone.

Here's hoping they have another ace up their sleeve come reveal.
On the other hand, I guess if you need to dock the screen, it's not really meant to be played on, but just to provide processing for the normal console mode as you play on the TV?

antonz

Nintendo needs everything at this point. Let this sink in. It took 5 different 3DS revisions just to sell 20 million units in North America. Realistically that could translate to 10 million or less unique owners of a 3DS in North America

boo

Gold Member
I wonder if many posters on Neogaf may misread what Nintendo is doing, based on the fact that the first NX-hardware will be able to connect to a TV, while also being portable.

Based on that Asashi Shimbun published an interview with new Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima this spring, I shamelessly stole a quote from Neogaf posted by GSR in another thread:

-It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles.
Tatsumi Kimishima: I suppose it can be seen that way. However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U.

Personally, I immediately thought of something I believe I read some years ago (sorry, no link), that there were discussions at Nintendo before the release of Wii U, that what ended up as the Wii U Gamepad perhaps instead should be launched as a stand-alone handheld unit.

I wonder if it is that which we are getting now, which means that this NX portable hardware would have been an idea, while the 3DS was still selling very well, plus the Wii U was not yet deemed a dud saleswise.

So this is simply the NX hardware that Nintendo started making first.

The NX portable may partly overlap with a 3DS and a Wii U, rather than being a direct replacement for either.

Which makes me think that we are back to the idea of NX being Nintendos operating system (like IOS or Android), and that we will end up with at least three types of NX hardware:

One small handheld, this tablet, plus a game console. Plus whatever crazy stuff Nintendo may dream up. Spaced out in time with regard to release date, since releasing more than one hardware type at the time could become a logistical nightmare.

Since the systems will piggy-back off of each others user base, and system two and three then don`t start from zero as far as publishers are concerned, each system do not need to be a run-away hit, which is why I think that Nintendo will take a chance also on releasing a new game console.

So this portable will lay the foundation for the other systems with regard to user base.

Just my two cents.

If NX connects to and runs google play store apps, they could bridge some of the divide between mobile gamers and core gaming.

My bet is that the phones connect to the nx and act as controllers.

In that picture the boys could be playing a hide and seek game, the boy with no phone would be holding a nx and seeing all the map running away from the other boy chasing him using the phone as controllers.

That game was a blast in nintendo land but almost no one was able to play it

ISee

Isn't the Tegra X1 supposed to get very hot? Not a problem when in TV mode, I guess. But could be while in handheld mode.
I also wonder about the rest of the nvidia tegra features like streaming games to a tegra device from your pc or through the internet (just like the ps4 BC seevice).

E-Cat

Gold Member
So disappointing. This is exactly what I didn't want from the next Nintendo hardware. I just see this thing costing too much to attract the handheld market, and too underpowered to pull in console gamers. Plus Tegra, UGH really.
Nailed it. This was my worst fear, really--regardless of whether it will be a business savvy move or not.

jblank83

My bet is that the phones connect to the nx and act as controllers.

In that picture the boys could be playing a hide and seek game, the boy with no phone would be holding a nx and seeing all the map running away from the other boy chasing him using the phone as controllers.

That game was a blast in nintendo land but almost no one was able to play it

That was something I thought of awhile ago, yeah. Vice versa, allowing the NX to work as a bluetooth controller would also work. When talking about interconnectivity there are numerous possibilities and all of them encourage people to carry both devices with them.

Couldn't they underclock the Tegra chip in handheld mode to reduce heat?

720p through HMDI in docked mode, 540p in handheld on 540p handheld screen could work.

That was something I thought of awhile ago, yeah. Vice versa, allowing the NX to work as a bluetooth controller would also work. When talking about interconnectivity there are numerous possibilities and all of them encourage people to carry both devices with them.

Who would pay $300 for a glorified bluetooth controller?

Yes!!

It solves the problem that no one needs a handheld because they have a phone.

In this case the handheld is a handheld, a console and it can be used with phones for asymetrical multiplayer, at home and at the go.

Its the ideal gift for kids, one gift for all, that also encourages socialization.

The only problem is that it would be a weak home console, but nintendo does not care about that.

jfoul

I'm really excited about what Nintendo is doing. It's something different from the experience that Sony and Microsoft offer, and they can focus all efforts into on one platform. I'm just hoping that the delay wasn't just for games, but also to get an Nvidia Tegra X2 (14/16nm Pascal) variant in before launch. It just seems to make the most sense because the Tegra X1 is ancient at this point and on a bigger die size.

In what way? Not financially, it would take more than 10 console flops to eat up Nintendo's money.

I wish people would stop saying this. Yes, technically they can withstand a few more console disasters, but even if they have one more their investors will be out for blood.

Even Nintendo themselves would be thinking seriously about the viability of their console business. They're not stupid enough to burn through billions of commercial flop after commercial flop just to pander to a dwindling group of fans.

jblank83

no-country-for-old-men-4.jpg

Yes!!

It solves the problem that no one needs a handheld because they have a phone.

In this case the handheld is a handheld, a console and it can be used with phones for asymetrical multiplayer, at home and at the go.

Its the ideal gift for kids, one gift for all, that also encourages socialization.

The only problem is that it would be a weak home console, but nintendo does not care about that.

I care, but I'm also hoping this is the previously rumored "handheld NX" with the "console NX" to come later. Otherwise yes, I think the idea has potential.

Only 2 more months until the supposed reveal.

martino

i understand the move (it will guaranty full 3rd party support and no comparison with the other console)
But it also means lot of compromise on what and how game will be done and they will be done with handled limitations in mind (and probably handled excuses like low twenties fps too frequent)
So no next nintendo console for me it seems because not a home tv console. (maybe they will release one later)

E-Cat

Gold Member
The silver lining is that for handheld, this would actually be a significant leap in power.

On the other hand, for home console it will be like going from GCN to Wii (if GCN was already a gen behind). Let that sink in for a while.

mjontrix

Nintendo cannot afford for the NX to be seen as a 1.5 Wii U upgrade, seeing how the ancient tech in the Wii U is a big reason for its flop. They have to make clear immediately that the NX is substantially more powerful than Wii U and can compete with Xbone and PS4. Think the Tegra X1 will do this?

Tegra X2 could do the trick.

With bare metal like Vulkan there's a chance of it being good looking on a 540p screen or possibly 720p @ 60fps portable.

The dock must certainly have an extra processing unit somewhere to allow for 900/1080p.

Moving from 20nm to 16nm isn't that straightforward so I doubt Nvidia is going to shift Tegra X1 just for Nintendo's sake when they could boost sales of X2 instead.

Its not a controller , its a hub to connect all phones and tablets.

The local multiplayer options are endless... And Nintendo loves locsl multiplayer.

Imagine a mario game where the person with the nx plays regular mario with regulars controllers. The people with phone will connect to the NX and throw things at him or help him. The wii u version experimented with that.

I wish people would stop saying this. Yes, technically they can withstand a few more console disasters, but even if they have one more their investors will be out for blood.

Even Nintendo themselves would be thinking seriously about the viability of their console business. They're not stupid enough to burn through billions of commercial flop after commercial flop just to pander to a dwindling group of fans.

Yes, just because they're not in any real financial straits, doesn't mean they want to be willy nilly how they burn through their reserves. They're still a company, they're still publically traded, they still have to MAKE MONEY AND COMMAND MINDSHARE. If the NX fails to do those two things for them, they have to really think about the direction the company is in, and not keep throwing things at a wall.

Iceternal

I don't understand why Nintendo think they can get away with having no third party support ?

Nintenfags are always saying "but we don't need great graphics " !

But you actually do because shit tier hardware will cause third party devs to boycott the console.

Similar specs allows developpers to easily port their game.

But they're not going to bother downgrading their games to death so they can run on the NX.

So you won't be seeing Watch Dogs 2 or Call Of Duty on NX and we're gonna see another Wii U situation

Its not a controller , its a hub to connect all phones and tablets.

The local multiplayer options are endless... And Nintendo loves locsl multiplayer.

Imagine a mario game where the person with the nx plays regular mario with regulars controllers. The people with phone will connect to the NX and throw things at him or help him. The wii u version experimented with that.

That stuff no longer exists in the handheld arena. My friends' kids get together with tablets/smartphones and just connect to each other over the internet and play whatever. This is the kind of idea nobody really needs. It can already be done without the NX, it provides absolutely zero added value.

jblank83

I don't understand why Nintendo think they can get away with having no third party support ?

But you actually do because shit tier hardware will cause third party devs to boycott the console.

But they're not going to bother downgrading their games to death so they can run on the NX.

So you won't be seeing Watch Dogs 2 or Call Of Duty on NX and we're gonna see another Wii U situation

Which message board do you think you're on, bud?

Atomski

That stuff no longer exists in the handheld arena. My friends' kids get together with tablets/smartphones and just connect to each other over the internet and play whatever. This is the kind of idea nobody really needs. It can already be done without the NX, it provides absolutely zero added value.

besides minecraft is there actually any good live multiplayer games on phones? I havent played any..

really?

KAP151

Bye!

Seems more like a thing to promote the home console docking aspect of it really. The fact that local two player can benefit families on the go is just another factor.

Bye.

Also it's a handheld, the specs are great for what it is.

Taigerr

Ummm just asking....
100 plus pages so far of hopes/fears acceptance/non acceptance of said NX device based on a "report" that as yet has no verified sources to speak of? Has anyone contacted EG on this and if so what's their response? What are other media houses saying?

BTW for me as a concept this works as 3ds is my main however based on some of the fall outs esp on Twitter surely comon sense must prevail?

Just my two cents....

I'm curious what the controllers will look like and how it acts as a handheld controller, but also a detached controller. The article says that it is bookend by two controllers, wonder if that is two seperate controllers to allow two players - which mean two uniformed controllers, or just one controller acting as a remote and nunchuck.

Going to be interesting from a design standpoint to accommodate both.

Ummm just asking....
100 plus pages so far of hopes/fears acceptance/non acceptance of said NX device based on a "report" that as yet has no verified sources to speak of? Has anyone contacted EG on this and if so what's their response? What are other media houses saying?

BTW for me as a concept this works as 3ds is my main however based on some of the fall outs esp on Twitter surely comon sense must prevail?

Just my two cents....

Kotaku and I think Polygon confirmed it lined up with their own sources, which could be the same sources for all we know.

All I know is I can't wait for September.

TannerDemoz

Ummm just asking....

Just my two cents....

Other media houses have backed the claims

xrnzaaas

If the rumors are true then it's very likely that NX will be selling even worse than the Wii U. The handheld market has been almost entirely taken over by smartphones and hardware like Nvidia Shield (which seems to be the closest to the NX's concept) won't sell in the millions.

indask8

If the rumors are true then it's very likely that NX will be selling even worse than the Wii U. The handheld market has been almost entirely taken over by smartphones and hardware like Nvidia Shield (which seems to be the closest to the NX's concept) won't sell in the millions.

I'm pretty sure it will sell well, just like the 3DS, only reason it could fail is if the launch price is too high with Nintendo going like "Hey it's an handheld AND a console so that why it's a bit more expensive".

KAL2006

Banned
720p through HMDI in docked mode, 540p in handheld on 540p handheld screen could work. /QUOTE]

What? 540p screen is atrocious by today's standards. I don't get where Nintendo are heading with this but even the most basic phone has a decent 1080p display.

You truly have no idea

A iPad main function isn't gaming. If then system where to be 1080p say goodbye to open world games or 60fps ganes. And say hello to shit battery life, and shit frame rates.

540p or 600p is enough for a 6" tablet which is around the same size as Wii U. My Vita is only 540p and native games on the 5" screen looks sharp. The extra pixels would be a waste of processing power.

ISee

720p through HMDI in docked mode, 540p in handheld on 540p handheld screen could work. /QUOTE]

What? 540p screen is atrocious by today's standards. I don't get where Nintendo are heading with this but even the most basic phone has a decent 1080p display.

Yes, but rendering games at 1080p while in handheld mode could be very problematic because of heat and battery issues. The best I see them doing is a 720p display.

Vertti

Can't have a great battery life with 1080p screen. Plus no game would render with that resolution so it would go waste. 540p makes sense and Vita has showed it can look very nice.

random25

Smartphones didn't affect just the handhelds, but the home consoles as well. Even with a slowdown in handheld market sales, Nintendo still has the biggest handheld franchises that can entice the current handheld user base to migrate and invite new ones as well, such as Pokemon, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, maybe Monster Hunter will be there as well if they keep their partnership solid. Those games have enough power to make it at least better in terms of sales than the Wii U.

Hermii

Phones aren't gaming devices. A high res screen is pointless if most games can't run at native res. Even the ps4 sometimes struggle with 1080p.

The 3DS, even with its fucked up marketing, has sold 60 million units. This past year alone the 3DS sold about half of the Wii U's entire life time sales, and it was a weak year for the system sales wise.
As long as the price is right, the games are there and Nintendo doesn't fuck up the marketing AGAIN the system will outsell the Wii U easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom