• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main worry is that Nintendo will be Nintendo and end up making baffling design choices that make the system a lot less appealing.

I can see this thing being region locked, not having voice chat, sub-par online systems with no on-screen notifications and the controller probably won't have analogue triggers for whatever reason. I hope this isn't the case but I don't have faith Nintendo can make an up to date gaming system that doesn't have weird limitations for seemingly no reason.

AntMurda

It wasn't the main guys from gamexplain; it was Colin from Gamnesia who mentioned it IIRC.

Didn't Emily comment on this recently though?

Edit: Found the quote from about a month ago, where she provided an update "Splatoon and Mario Maker NX ports have low chances of being released. Now Smash Bros...I'm curious about that port"

Sounds like she has a firm grasp of what Nintendo's most secretive in-house development teams are cooking. Heck, to the point where she gets monthly updates from the development teams.

As a number of us expected, Pokémon Sun & Moon will likely be the 3DS's last hurrah. Though to be fair, the 3DS was kinda on its last legs, already.

Thank the heavens

Plenty of games were hitting some serious visual and performance walls on this ancient machine

Im ready for my eyes to get a damn rest from all the blurry and jaggies

Neoxon

It still has DQXI coming next year along side some L5 titles.
I meant from Nintendo. Third parties will likely keep the 3DS on life support, but Nintendo probably won't give the 3DS much in the name of additional support after Sun/Moon.

$30 isn't bad, but the problem is that even at 128gb that's potentially only 4 large games. Are people going to have to buy multiple Micro SD cards? Obviously many games will not be a full 32gb, but a lot will probably be close, and future titles down the line will likely be even larger as has always been the case. Even the more traditional handheld games will likely utilize the far greater horsepower compared to the 3DS and thus have much larger storage needs. That's not a whole lot of room in the long run and swapping out SD cards and remembering whats on where is a huge pain in the ass.

Allowing users to hook up an HDD to the dock would be a good way to let people store games they aren't playing on their handheld and or only plan to play when at home and on the TV. If the dock has a good USB3.1, or an equivalently speedy proprietary connector they likely will end up choosing to use, data transfer speeds won't be that big an issue.

I love your idea about transferring games between the dock and the handheld.. If Nintendo made a quick and easy solution for doing so, it could make storage issues a thing of the past. I'd also like to add that the idea of 30GB games is relative to the people making them.

Given the rumored power of the NX, I can't see games taking up much more space than they do on Wii-U. Download sizes were all over the board there, but I don't remember seeing many games that were over 15GB.

Sounds like she has a firm grasp of what Nintendo's most secretive in-house development teams are cooking. Heck, to the point where she gets monthly updates from the development teams.

I'm not quite sure if this is sarcasm or not, but I do think it's clear she has at least one well-placed source

pastrami

My main worry is that Nintendo will be Nintendo and end up making baffling design choices that make the system a lot less appealing.

I can see this thing being region locked, not having voice chat, sub-par online systems with no on-screen notifications and the controller probably won't have analogue triggers for whatever reason. I hope this isn't the case but I don't have faith Nintendo can make an up to date gaming system that doesn't have weird limitations for seemingly no reason.

I was excited, but now I'm worried.

AntMurda

I'm not quite sure if this is sarcasm or not, but I do think it's clear she has at least one well-placed source

Oh man. The sarcasm couldn't even be adequately translated by my keyboard. But I see a cohorts of some between Rogers and Eurogamer - but then Rogers goes above and beyond by incubating popular rumors and speculation as rumors she has sources on (NX ports for example).

I love your idea about transferring games between the dock and the handheld.. If Nintendo made a quick and easy solution for doing so, it could make storage issues a thing of the past.

Even a "quick and easy" solution will get tiring if you have to do it often enough. I'm confident any amount of hassle will annoy a large part of their demographic. It goes against what Nintendo needs this to be: a hassle-free portable AND console experience (based on the rumors, of course)

This article states it would take 2.5 minutes to transfer a 25GB file over USB 3.0. That faaaaar too long to be a regular thing. And even if that estimate is off, I'd argue anything above 30 seconds is something the average consumer won't want to deal with.

Nintendo needs this device to be friction-less.

Oh man. The sarcasm couldn't even be adequately translated by my keyboard. But I see a cohorts of some between Rogers and Eurogamer - but then Rogers goes above and beyond by incubating popular rumors and speculation as rumors she has sources on (NX ports for example).

I'm confused. Wasn't she the one who mentioned those 4 ports originally? If not, who beat her to it?

gafneo

Banned
Maybe not what it will look like, but was brainstorming this.

xGVCSKj.jpg

Even a "quick and easy" solution will get tiring if you have to do it often enough. I'm confident any amount of hassle will annoy a large part of their demographic. It goes against what Nintendo needs this to be: a hassle-free portable AND console experience (based on the rumors, of course)

This article states it would take 2.5 minutes to transfer a 25GB file over USB 3.0. That faaaaar too long to be a regular thing. And even if that estimate is off, I'd argue anything above 30 seconds is something the average consumer won't want to deal with.

Nintendo needs this device to be friction-less.

I feel like it depends on the file size and the frequency as you just stated. If Nintendo can keep file sizes down like they did on Wii-U, there won't be many games that are upwards of 25 to 30GB. Also keep in mind that this just refers to digital titles, games on cartridges won't need an install of any form. I don't have data to back this up, but I can't see the "digital only" audience being uninformed about storage limits.

So the two that were already rumored by other sources were a lock - and the two that weren't were "possibilities".

Uh, yeah? That's how it works? If something seems credible, you go forth with it. If something seems semi-credible but on shakier ground, mentioning it but being honest that it's worth taking with a grain of salt is the smart thing to do. Saying shaky rumours as fact or putting them on equal grounds as more credible ones is what pretty much destroyed Tamaki from Unseen64's reputation. Emily is upfront about whether she believes something to come from a more credible source(s) or not.

I see a cohorts of some between Rogers and Eurogamer - but then Rogers goes above and beyond by incubating popular rumors and speculation as rumors she has sources on (NX ports for example).

Dude, when you have to come up with conspiracies instead of relying purely on someone's track record, it's probably not a good sign.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dude, when you have to come up with conspiracies instead of relying purely on someone's track record, it's probably not a good sign.

To be fair, the exact same thing happened with the Mother 3 thing.

Kyuur

If this is the case and the power is above WiiU -- pretty much the device of my dreams. Sick of having two separate devices and not being able to play Pokemon/Fire Emblem/etcetc on my TV.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has that been confirmed false or are we still waiting?

Still waiting. I'm not talking about the validity of the rumor--I'm referring to the connection between Rogers and Eurogamer.

To be fair, the exact same thing happened with the Mother 3 thing.

Oh, what do you mean? Sorry, just wanted some clarification.

FWIW the "conspiracy" I'm referring to is more "ohh, she's just piggybacking off rumours and adding in speculation". There's no evidence of that.

I consider Emily credible because as of late she's only had one thing totally false, and she is very honest and upfront about her sources (i.e. how many there are, if she believes them to be credible, what she believes is shakier, NEVER states the rumours as fact). On the flipside I don't consider someone like Tamaki credible because he was always very vague, wishy-washy, tended to tout his rumours as fact, and had very little transparency about his sources, how credible or how many there were. Even if he got a handful of ways right, the way he acts gives off more of a boy who cried wolf mentality. Emily is at least more honest and thus trustworthy to me.

Has that been confirmed false or are we still waiting?

Still waiting. Eurogamer backed it up but nothing's been heard since.

I want solid details from Nintendo at this point

Enough trying to vett all these other people

September is going to be a long wait with the NX discussions being all fired up again

ViciousDS

Banned
I realized that some of you are having problems visualizing the concept so I made this mock-up explaining all of the possible uses for the NX concept based on the original drawing from Eurogamer.

In this first picture, you can see the NX in its most basic form a simple device that can play simple games like Professor Layton or even Mario Kart with its motion sensors and touch screen.

If you turn it in portrait mode the NX plays mobile games (ported or created for mobile like Nintendo upcoming mobile games.) like a champ.

Once things get more complex let's say, Zelda, you slide in the control modules.

(I think that sliding it instead of attaching it will help with durability) as you can see in this picture each of the controller pieces being connected have their own simple gyros as well and could be used as a Wii-Mote.

In this form, you can play games as you would with a 3DS (but with a full set of buttons) when not using the main unit you slide the controllers in a simple shell in order to have a standard controller.

Now you can use the main unit in its base connected to a TV or use the main unit as a monitor.

And using the stand you can enjoy video apps.

Finally, when connected to its doc outputting to the TV the screen could show some basic info (like the gamepad) or be turned off (like the gamepad) in order to charge faster .

I hope this helps to illustrate the NX concept.

This shit is really starting to grow on me, and now I want it. If its using a Tegra it also means that it probably has android capabilities as well. Meaning we will probably get the Nvidia store, Nintendo store AND possibly the play store. Holy shit, this would actually be genius.

She's calling out SuperMetalDave because he "spent the entire day attacking me because he's worried Eurogamer's report will hurt his reputation," according to Emily

Many of the people siding with SMD are still desperately clinging to the WSJ "industry-leading chips" article from last fall, despite the fact that the very same reporter has a new article that explicitly describes NX as a single hybrid device.

The denial runs strong.

AntMurda

I'm confused. Wasn't she the one who mentioned those 4 ports originally? If not, who beat her to it?

Dr. Serkhan Toto revealed Smash Bros. for NX. Super Metal Dave gave the first leak for Zelda NX (although we all expected it). Then Rogers came in with the rumor that Smash and Zelda were coming to NX, "and Splatoon and Mario Maker".

Dude, when you have to come up with conspiracies
instead of relying purely on someone's track record, it's probably not a good sign.

It's not a conspiracy theory. They've corroborated together on Mother 3, and it looks like this story was also corroborated in a sense that Rogers knew the author was printing it. They are definitely in communication. Tom Philips from Eurogamer to be exact, and Emily Rogers.

oti

Banned
If this is the case and the power is above WiiU -- pretty much the device of my dreams. Sick of having two separate devices and not being able to play Pokemon/Fire Emblem/etcetc on my TV.

I don't mind buying two pieces of hardware for Nintendo games but I hope this will end Kid "why isn't this on console?" Icarus situations.

I'm all for it.

Many of the people siding with SMD are still desperately clinging to the WSJ "industry-leading chips" article from last fall, despite the fact that the very same reporter has a new article that explicitly describes NX as a single hybrid device.

The denial runs strong.

Well wouldn't Tegra fall into that category anyways? lol

I can see why they still believe the two SKU theory but honestly there is nothing to talk about unless they get some damn proof it exists

I will say the current hybrid setup seems very Japan focused in design and there was speculation that Nintendo would build to that market first

But all we have is this Hybrid details so thats that until we get more

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind buying two pieces of hardware for Nintendo games but I hope this will end Kid "why isn't this on console?" Icarus situations.

I'm all for it.

I never minded buying new two pieces of hardware really. I just minded having to deal with the tiny screen and bad ergonomics on portables to enjoy half their library.

Dr. Serkhan Toto revealed Smash Bros. for NX. Super Metal Dave gave the first leak for Zelda NX (although we all expected it). Then Rogers came in with the rumor that Smash and Zelda were coming to NX, "and Splatoon and Mario Maker".

It's not a conspiracy theory. They've corroborated together on Mother 3, and it looks like this story was also corroborated in a sense that Rogers knew the author was printing it. They are definitely in communication.

I'm not saying the Eurogamer part is a conspiracy theory, and that's not even a scandal or anything. Most game journalists are in touch with each other regularly.

I'm talking about you claiming she just piggybacks on other rumours and mixes in further speculation. A) There's no evidence of that, and B) She's not the one who creates the rumours. She reports on what she hears. So if something has floated around for a while and turns out to be credible, plus if it's heard from an independent source, it only makes sense to mention it. That's how reporting a rumour works. It's an unconfirmed story that's transmitted between from person to person, and some are more believable than others.

And if what she said about NX ended up being accurate, why does it matter anyway? Claiming Emily isn't credible because she has a weak track record would be one thing. Claiming she's not credible because she's in touch with other people doesn't make sense. That's what makes someone credible.

atbigelow

Well wouldn't Tegra fall into that category anyways? lol

I can see why they still believe the two SKU theory but honestly there is nothing to talk about unless they get some damn proof it exists

I will say the current hybrid setup seems very Japan focused in design and there was speculation that Nintendo would build to that market first

But all we have is this Hybrid details so thats that until we get more

That's the funny thing: "industry-leading chips" has never guaranteed some huge 6 TFLOP part. The Tegra X1.5 (or whatever they are working with) would absolutely be industry leading.

I'm not saying the Eurogamer part is a conspiracy theory, and that's not even a scandal or anything. Most game journalists are in touch with each other regularly.

I'm talking about you claiming she just piggybacks on other rumours and mixes in further speculation. A) There's no evidence of that, and B) She's not the one who creates the rumours. She reports on what she hears. So if something has floated around for a while and turns out to be credible, plus if it's heard from an independent source, it only makes sense to mention it. That's how reporting a rumour works. It's an unconfirmed story that's transmitted between from person to person, and some are more believable than others.

And if what she said about NX ended up being accurate, why does it matter anyway? Claiming Emily isn't credible because she has a weak track record would be one thing. Claiming she's not credible because she's in touch with other people doesn't make sense. That's what makes someone credible.

Either way if the Two SKU model was being considered we would see the rumors start to coincide with each other over time not divert

There shouldnt be a contradiction here unless Nintendo is doing some very weird things behind the scenes

Vena

The denial runs strong.

A custom Tegra between X1 and X2 would be absolutely top of thr line for mobile gaming. So it's not like he's wrong anyway.

Either way if the Two SKU model was being considered we would see the rumors start to coincide with each other over time not divert

There shouldnt be a contradiction here unless Nintendo is doing some very weird things behind the scenes

Right. I mean, let's say there is a second SKU. Eurogamer, Kotaku, and Emily hearing there's a handheld component doesn't strictly rule out a further option as others may report. We don't know much about NX so we'd have to wait and see, but at the moment, there's nothing that would prevent a more console-focused NX option from existing in conjunction with the handheld.

I would not assume this

Yeah, now that you mention it, didn't Eurogamer say they had their own sources for the Mother 3 report?

From what I have heard, SMM NX is not looking super optimistic.

Mostly to do with interoperability with the Wii U level base.

I have no idea how SMM would even work in the "docked" console mode here... what would be the point of releasing a game that only works in the handheld mode? There's certainly something we're missing about this picture.

Right. I mean, let's say there is a second SKU. Eurogamer, Kotaku, and Emily hearing there's a handheld component doesn't strictly rule out a further option as others may report. We don't know much about NX so we'd have to wait and see, but at the moment, there's nothing that would prevent a more console-focused NX option from existing in conjunction with the handheld.

Yeah, now that you mention it, didn't Eurogamer say they had their own sources for the Mother 3 report?

Well what sucks is that even with Eurogamer and Emily Rogers reports.... thats all we have

No other outlets are calling out sources... just sourcing Eurogamers article

SO yes... SMD may not have as solid of evidence to latch onto but Euro/Emily only gave us a very small window into what Nintendo is up to

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea how SMM would even work in the "docked" console mode here... what would be the point of releasing a game that only works in the handheld mode? There's certainly something we're missing about this picture.

Build levels in handheld mode, play in either mode?

Companion app for phones and tablets to allow building while docked?

Galang

Banned
Baffling people are dismissing comments over Mother 3 alone. I'd bet the timing is just not right yet. If I were them I'd hold it off until the NX honestly

Chindogg

Or the console SKU is delayed 6mo-1yr since the handheld would need the refresh sooner.

Plinko

Baffling people are dismissing comments over Mother 3 alone. I'd bet the timing is just not right yet. If I were them I'd hold it off until the NX honestly

I'm not dismissing any comments over Mother 3--just was pointing out the connection between Rogers and Eurogamer. It happened with Mother 3 and now this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom