• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding digital games on the 3DS, I assume they'll be playable on this new NX? I really hope so. I know there's no BC but it would be nice if these could be redownloaded or there's some kind of alternative.

I think they will have a hard time convincing third parties to develop for it (as always).

So to me, it again looks like they are finding another way to not compete with either market.

I think it's easy to underestimate what a full force focused Nintendo is capable of. Not split between platforms, not experimenting too much with crazy control schemes. Innovation in that they are just supplementing a good basic fully featured mobile gaming platform.

If they re-release their back catalog on this straight away that's at least a dozen AAA titles. And that's not even considering a new Monster Hunter/Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

If they engender friendship with big mobile developers, and indy developers, they won't need the big third parties (third parties will come).

There is a lot of ways for them to fuck it up, but this is the most promising idea I've seen from Nintendo in a long time.

Pifje

oled screens are not ideal for a medium that has a lot of static images on the screen like a HUD or a navigation bar in an internet browser or app or whatever. hopefully Nintendo does not go this route, their hardware is typically built to last and an oled screen would hinder that.

Are you living in 2008?

And thats why they want OLED. It is a difference when its just for gaming. I would even say watching movies too.

Some want more accurate colors of LCD, some want colors to pop and have the blacks, contrast pros of OLED. I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to go for really current LCD tech thats more closer to the pros of OLED.

Its one reason I wanted to get the orig Vita to replace one I broke. But the microUSB charging and better battery life on the revisions with LCD means more to me now.

The only reason Nintendo would choose OLED over LCD would be cost. And luckily, apparently OLED is the cheaper one as of now, so choosing OLED would not be totally impossible. Depends on the timing, really.

keakster

Does any article talk about posible more power coming thanks to dockstation?
Or it will be TV out only?

IGN has an article saying that it is TV out only with no extra processing power. They incorrectly attribute this information to the EG article, as EG does not mention this. TV out only also contradicts one of Nintendo's patent filings. So no one really knows at this point

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If they're actually recommending 32GB cartridges, even a 128GB microSD will fill up pretty fast.

To me this makes me feel like they'll need to have some kind of storage solution built into the dock station. Maybe not bundled with standard SKU, but a compartment for people to add in an HDD or higher capacity microSD card to store games they aren't playing or only plan to play at home.

If you are using a third party tablet or phone, I cant see how nintendo could utilize that processing power and incorporate it. Their own hardware? Sure? But somebody else's? It doesnt seem likely. The idea of using them as second screens in party environments ala you dont know jack is possible, but I would think the processing power would still be handled by the dock.

Your theory about how the skus could be packaged differently depends on either being able to use peocessing power from third parties, or putting all the processing power in the dock. From what we currently know, those dont seem likely. But selling a barebones handheld unit without the dock does seem likely to me. It gets the price down and the dock and controllers and cables can always be bought seperately.

I think I got myself jumbled up there, I didn't mean to say that I think the processing power will come from the third party device. My idea would be that the "controller" contains the processing power in some form and the screen is just a screen. A third party device could then be used in combination with an "NX" app that allows it to display content from your controller.

This would allow Nintendo to offer a basic model that lets you use a smart device as your handheld screen, possibly with less storage or some other differentiation to make it cheaper. The "Pro" model could include more storage as well as the screen required for the handheld mode.

Phoenixus

To me this makes me feel like they'll need to have some kind of storage solution built into the dock station. Maybe not bundled with standard SKU, but a compartment for people to add in an HDD or higher capacity microSD card to store games they aren't playing or only plan to play at home.

I'd honestly be okay with them going the external HDD route again, I'd much rather that than the price being bumped up due to high amounts of memory in the dock. A basic amount to start off though, say 250gb of space to keep the asking price down, would be good for consumers.

Can someone clarify this for me: a lot of posters are saying that X1 in the NX dev kit is overclocked. Is this is simply an assumption based on the single source from eurogamer that stated that there is active cooling in the unit, or is it a separate source(s)?

otakukidd

Really? Sony has good exclusives, Japanese games, indie games, and third party. Why it´s always either or? Third party games are essential for the success of consoles nowadays, unless there is a revolutionary device that can disrupts the market and i can´t see NX doing that. Nintendo should seek third parties like a moth to a flame. Also PS4 got way more Japanese support than the WiiU. Why discount PS4 getting Japanese support, when the PS4 is getting some of the biggest Japanese franchises?
... it will get a shit load of Japanese exclusives just for the fact it's partly a portable. All those 3rd party 3ds games will still come.

Yado

Nintendo said since forever that the NX is not a hybrid device. So better expect the oficial reveal.

This is where I'm at as well. I'm not believing it until I see an official reveal. Even if this is true this could still just be the handheld.

Russ T

Banned
So I'm confused about something; maybe I just missed some info somewhere.

Why are people thinking it could be an X2? Didn't the Eurogamer article specifically say X1?

pls no bullying

DKHF

Why are people thinking it could be an X2? Didn't the Eurogamer article specifically say X1?

pls no bullying
Eurogamer speculated in the Digital Foundry article that it could be X2.

pls no bullying

The dev kits are using the X1, but one source said that they were being actively cooled, meaning there is a fan on it that makes an audible noise. This could mean the chip is a place holder and they've clocked it to what they expect out of the X2.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
TIL my SGS6 has a low quality Oled screen.

It happens.

Like for OLED on phones and the Vita a manufacturing process would have black splotches show up in certain conditions.

It was there on some devices, not on some. Some it would be bad, some minor.

Like some manufacturing processes would have light bleed on LCD screens on some phones.

I compare it to cpu's, gpu's and the OC lottery.

ECC

pls no bullying

In the Digital Foundary article accompanying the Eurogamer article they mentioned that a source had told them that the chip in the dev. Kit was activly cooled with an audioble fan noise. Since running a fan in a handheld is a big no no DF speculate that the X1 chip in the Dev Kit is an placeholder for the X2 chip Nvidia is on schedule to talk about next month at the Hot Chips conference.

QaaQer

Eurogamer speculated in the Digital Foundry article that it could be X2.

DF specializes in gfx comparisons, not chip design and business strat analysis. If it is an x2, it will be be at Nvidia's behest. Using nx delay and 'fans in kits' as evidence is silly.

G.ZZZ

pls no bullying

A source said the DevKit run on a loudly cooled X1, which made people think that's it's OC and a standalone for a new chipset which wouldn't need to be actively cooled/overclocked.

Tegra X2 is gonna be on 16 nm node, which mean much less power consumption and better performance for lower costs, especially in the long run as the 20nm process get abandoned.
Also, the fact that the NX was postponed from december to march are also things that make people think that maybe the console was postponed to get in full production of the new process , the new Tegra will be unveiled at end August by Nvidia and will probably enter production shortly after.

Most likely, it-s not gonna be a straight X2 but something custom, but still on 16 nm for the decreased cost, increased performance and decreased consumption. I expect something slightly better than the Tegra X1 as a custom chip.

Russ T

Banned
In the Digital Foundary article accompanying the Eurogamer article they mentioned that a source had told them that the chip in the dev. Kit was activly cooled with an audioble fan noise. Since running a fan in a handheld is a big no no DF speculate that the X1 chip in the Dev Kit is an placeholder for the X2 chip Nvidia is on schedule to talk about next month at the Hot Chips conference.

A source said the DevKit run on a loudly cooled X1, which made people think that's it's OC and a standalone for a new chipset which wouldn't need to be actively cooled/overclocked.

Tegra X2 is gonna be on 16 nm node, which mean much less power consumption and better performance for lower costs, especially in the long run as the 20nm process get abandoned.
Also, the fact that the NX was postponed from december to march are also things that make people think that maybe the console was postponed to get in full production of the new process , the new Tegra will be unveiled at end August by Nvidia and will probably enter production shortly after.

Most likely, it-s not gonna be a straight X2 but something custom, but still on 16 nm for the decreased cost, increased performance and decreased consumption. I expect something slightly better than the Tegra X1 as a custom chip.

Yeah I went and read the Digital Foundry article that I'd missed before. It makes some sense! I hope it's true. I'm excited either way, personally, but hey better is better!

September come faster please.

Its got to be X2 right?

Enters production and gets announced JUST before Nintendo makes their announcement in September?

And the March 2017 launch is more than enough time for manufacturing

I dunno... really hard to say anything right now even WITH the Eurogamer article

Im so tired guys... NX is draining me... Nintendo please

Doesn't the dock that connects to the tv scream "supplemental computing device?"

So why wouldn't that be able to provide more juice and allow NX games much more power on the tv?

Or am I misunderstanding some of this stuff?

Doesn't the dock that connects to the tv scream "supplemental computing device?"

So why wouldn't that be able to provide more juice and allow NX games much more power on the tv?

Or am I misunderstanding some of this stuff?

That has been my thought exactly. Maybe we're both missing something here.

EVH

Can someone clarify this for me: a lot of posters are saying that X1 in the NX dev kit is overclocked. Is this is simply an assumption based on the single source from eurogamer that stated that there is active cooling in the unit, or is it a separate source(s)?

Most of Eurogamer article are assumptions.

The Tegra X1 already needs active cooling in Nvidia Shield and the RE5 and MGR ports are trash compared to what WiiU does. There are DF videos for it.

People in this thread is most of the time misinformed, taking as informed believing some rumours that Eurogamer compiled to spice up Summer.

The_Lump

Banned

Good summary.

It's actually a very plausible scenario, and if it were any other company I'd happily say it was likely what was happening. But, ya know, Nintendo gotta be doomed etc ;)

Instro

DF specializes in gfx comparisons, not chip design and business strat analysis. If it is an x2, it will be be at Nvidia's behest. Using nx delay and 'fans in kits' as evidence is silly.

True, but I think it's being combined with previous rumors regarding the NX being able to easily handle ports from current gen. A normal X1 Tegra doesn't really seem like something that would pull that off. We also have it being said by people like Emily that it is on par with the Xbox 1.

The_Lump

Banned
True, but I think it's being combined with previous rumors regarding the NX being able to easily handle ports from current gen. A normal X1 Tegra doesn't really seem like something that would pull that off. We also have it being said by people like Emily that it is on par with the Xbox 1.

More accurately, she said it was "closer" to XBox 1 than PS4. But that could mean anything. (PS3 is closer to X1 than PS4 :p)

I hope they make WiiU Games downloadable, can't be bothered to buy a WiiU again for Tokyo Mirage Sessions :(
It's different hardware. Wouldn't matter if it's downloadable or not, it would require porting.
That said, they should totally port many Wii U games especially TMS

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I am kind of happy with Nintendo returning to a single screen handheld. (or portable whatever)

The DS\3DS were good, but I have never cared much for the second screen.

Metal B

Regarding digital games on the 3DS, I assume they'll be playable on this new NX? I really hope so. I know there's no BC but it would be nice if these could be redownloaded or there's some kind of alternative.
Since there is no second screen, BC is hard for both WiiU and 3DS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The active cooling on the dev kit could simply be down to non-final internal design, and in light of that, just wanting to decrease the chance of that non-final design causing stressed out and pushed-to-the-limit dev kits to fail and require replacing.

Early dev hardware in particular can often have a very different profile to consumer units, being built to avoid failures.

It might indeed indicate a different target process for the final unit, but it's not a given.

Would be nice for the performance boost and lowered battery consumption with is pretty important on a portable. Would be weird to use cutting edge chips (hat haven't been officially revealed yet) but it would provably be worth it in the long run. How much more expensive do we imagine it would be, though?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
That sounds pretty fantastic. Where's that from?

Just my mock up and opinion based on previous rumors and patent talk.

I can't see how the system can be considered portable without the controllers having
a built in screen/free form display.

Unless they just plan on using detachable controllers to put on your phones.

Most of Eurogamer article are assumptions.

The Tegra X1 already needs active cooling in Nvidia Shield and the RE5 and MGR ports are trash compared to what WiiU does. There are DF videos for it.

People in this thread is most of the time misinformed, taking as informed believing some rumours that Eurogamer compiled to spice up Summer.
Nintendo wouldn't launch a handheld with active cooling. If they were using an X1 they'd downclock it to lower the heat. RE5 and MGRR's ports aren't indicative of the hardware when there are other ports that are better than the PS360 versions. Those two ports just aren't good ports.

The_Lump

Banned
Would be nice for the performance boost and lowered battery consumption with is pretty important on a portable. Would be weird to use cutting edge chips (hat haven't been officially revealed yet) but it would provably be worth it in the long run. How much more expensive do we imagine it would be, though?

Well the timing would at least match with the "delay" to NX release, seeing as the new Tegra is due out in Sept-ish :)

On price? Depends. Maybe Nintendo got X2 at a good price in exchange for taking all them X1's off nVidia's hands to use in the SCD's ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom