• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European GSD May 2024: EA FC 24 #1, GTAV #2, F1 24 #3, Ghost of Tsushima #4

The No.1 selling game in May this year was EA Sports FC 24, followed by Grand Theft Auto 5. F1 2024 races in at No.3, which launches a good two weeks earlier this year. However, the Codemasters game has got off to a slow start, with launch sales down 35% over last year's game.

The PC release of Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut sends the PlayStation game up to No.4. Meanwhile, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door comes in at No.5. Nintendo does not share digital sales with the charts, so the game may have charted higher in reality.

Looking at similar games, the new Paper Mario's sales are down 8% compared with the opening two weeks of last year's Super Mario RPG, and 8.5% lower than 2020's Paper Mario: The Origami King.

The only other new game in the Top 100 was Homeworld 3 (No.76).

Finally, Star Wars-related pricing activity had sent Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order back into the Top Ten.

Console sales fall sharply on tough Switch comparisons

Across the tracked markets, 311,000 games consoles were sold in May 2023, which is a drop of 40% over the same period the year before.

All console platforms saw a big drop, with Nintendo Switch suffering the biggest fall. Again, this is because last May saw the release of Zelda and a special Zelda edition of the OLED Switch model.

Meanwhile, accessory sales fell 25% for the same five-week period, once again led by the DualSense controller (which actually saw sales rise year-on-year).

European GSD May 2024 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3F1 24 (Codemasters)
4Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony)
5Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo)
6Helldivers 2 (Sony)
7Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)
10Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)

Ozriel

M$FT
What sort of silly excuses is this with "mitigating circumstances"? No comparison of sales to past games in the franchises this time?

He’s mainly talking about no Zelda or Hogwarts Legacy this year.
Maybe read the article?

XYI48Ib.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand gamepass but how in tf did Hellblade 2 not make the TOP 100. That is just wild for a new release in a pretty slow month. Figured the game kinda bombed but this seems much worse than I imagined.

Yea that's honestly pretty crazy. I didn't think it would do well but that's kind of crazy.

Ozriel

M$FT
I read the article. He framed mitigating circumstances with the flop of so called "fantastic games". While even more higher rated fantastic games reaching number 1 in the charts he would usually do a comparison to past entries in the franchise. Not this time it seems.

Nowhere did he frame it that way. It’s clearly written in the article, and even elementary comprehension shows what he believes the ‘mitigating circumstances’ are.

You really should read it again.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Games are not competing with other games anymore. They are competing with Tik Tok, IG and Netflix.

This is what happens when you take 7 years to make a fucking game, people lose interest. And find other hobbies.

There has NEVER been a more perfect time to experiment with the 2-3 hour AAA game concept I keep talking about than now, with this attention span depraved, everything-must-be-quick-and-easy-to-consume ass Tik Tok generation.

But hey, keep doing the same thing over and over. Keep spitting out remakes and remasters and expecting people to get excited and buy in droves.

System Shock remake was never going to be anywhere the top 100. Its 2024. Nobody is playing that shit. The fact that they are shocked by this is hilarious.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
With fantastic games like the System Shock remake on consoles, Hellblade 2, and the Rogue Prince of Persia all missing out on the Top 100.
People tend to buy games they want.
  • System Shock remake was always a niche beyond niche project.
  • Microsoft didn't seem interested in marketing Hellblade 2, so can't blame consumers for that one.
  • Rogue Prince of Persia was never going to be a high seller.

Alan Wake

Hellblade II not making top 100 isn't that shocking tbh. Xbox didn't even bother to market it much. It was never going to have an impact of any kind. I hope Ninja Theory will get another chance and that they decide to make a classic adventure game like Enslaved next time.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Umm yes. Not every single PC and Xbox player has gamepass is the point... Thought that was fairly obvious.

Of course that's gonna cut into the sales but nothing that I thought would take it out of the top 100
See below:
It's not like the first game was a huge success at least on Steam

R3uGbbV.jpeg

5,653 without gamepass.

3,982 with gamepass.

"Sold" very "well" for a game on gamepass.

Last edited:

PUNKem733

Jesus, I thought by now EVERYONE on Earth has 3 copies of GTA V. Shit I'm talking about people who have no clue what a video game is, had to have at least bought one lol.

I wonder if there's any chance that at some point there's some serious discussion about if and when an Xbox game doesn't go day one on Game Pass. It's going to hurt their console sales but hell what decisions from them aren't right now.

Top Bottom