• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever been through a Hurricane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Looks like i'll be going through one friday.

L_web_trop_3.JPG

I've been in florida my whole life, but my part of florida (the area smack dab in the middle of the projected path on the coast of florida for the southern hurricane on the map, charlie)

Has not seen a hurricane since Camille many years ago. Beacuse of the length of time, the town will likely be in shambles if it hits with cat 2 or above winds.

Any personal experiences?

been through one long ago in Connecticut (1980s)
it was crazy trees falling down...

I'm at Miami Beach now so hope it skips here with only rain

ced

Yes quite a few.

Looks like I might catch both of these, Im right smack dap between the projected paths(tallahassee), which really dont mean anything btw.

Best part is, the school district I work in is canceled, yet 12 month employees are supposed to be here, what a crock of bs.

Desperado

YEah, but I can't really remember them. Oh, yeah last summer...whatever hurricane it was, or maybe it was a tropical storm...but anyway we were driving north through Houston and they played Rock You Like A Hurricane on the local rock station.

yawn.

Doth Togo

Yea, I went thru Hugo in the early 1990s and whatever the hell the one was that hit Washington DC last fall.

LOL! Of all the crazy places to get hit by a hurricane, DC was it. Some colleagues didn't have power in DC for over a week. Homeland Security, my ass.

Suggestions:

1. Stock up on bottled water. Not sodas, which can dehydrate you due to the Sodium content.
2. Stock up on batteries.
3. Stock up on canned food. Stay away from high Sodium soups. You'll get dehydrated.
4. Clean out your tubs, pots, pans and sinks. Once they're clean, fill them up completely with water. That way if the power goes out, you still have water to clean and wash with. Save your drinking water. But, if all else fails, drink this. You won't want to drink tap water after the storm if pipes break or the power goes out because the city filtering system will be shut down.
5. Find an area away from windows, doors, outside...basically in the center of the home. Put furniture around you to make a fort, if you must. Keep away from glass, if possible.
6. Find a few people in your area you can turn to if you need to.
7. If the shit hits the fan, you won't be able to drive. If you have a bicycle, keep it nearby and safe.
8. Shower, wash, shit, etc. a few hours before the storm. Once it starts, you won't want to be doing any of that for a while.
9. Have as much cash in hand as possible.
10. Consider having "barter" items... toilet paper, cigarettes, lighter fluid, etc. It's funny how quickly bartering can become helpful, if not the norm.
11. Have a radio, flashlight, change of clothes, boots, tools, gun(?) closeby. Those items will be helpful.

Good luck.

Desperado said:
YEah, but I can't really remember them. Oh, yeah last summer...whatever hurricane it was, or maybe it was a tropical storm...but anyway we were driving north through Houston and they played Rock You Like A Hurricane on the local rock station.

yawn.

I don't think we have actually had a hurricane since Alicia in 81 or something like that. All the other major storm like Allison were actually Tropical Storms. Even so, Houston is far enough from the coast that it won't be Miami with Andrew bad, just not fun.

evil ways

I've been though a few, since I live in Puerto Rico. The biggest ones I've experienced were Hugo in 1989, Marylin in 1995 and Georges in 1998, all nearly tore a new one on my area but nothing big, just fallen telephone and electricity poles, trees, branches and random garbage. No school/college for days or weeks, but also no TV or electricity.

DarkAngyl

I grew up in the Pensacola area so I've been through a few. Never got hit so hard that they area was devestated though. We used to have hurricane parties. ;) In fact we had one at my girlfriends house once that got a little out of hand the night before one hit. Her parents got to blame some of the damage on the storm. ;)

There is something very awe inspiring about a hurricane. It's scary, but in this skin tingling way. Dark and majestic. It is just amazing how much raw power and fury mother nature can have sometimes. It's humbling.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I saw this thing on Andrew (that was the one that hit Miami, right?) while in another country ironically. That sh!t was crazy.

Looks like the whole east coast is fucked.

Hey, I know that WINK TV logo! Suikoguy, you in Lee, Collier or Charlotte? I'm in Cape Coral.

Lived here almost my whole life, and there hasn't been a major hurricane yet. Just tropical storms and stuff that dumps a lot of rain, a blustery day, minor flooding, etc. Andrew crossed into the Gulf almost 100 miles south of where I live and I still think that's the worst weather I've seen from a hurricane...winds got up to 45-50, with gusts near hurricane force that far away from the eye.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Catchpenny said:
Hey, I know that WINK TV logo! Suikoguy, you in Lee, Collier or Charlotte? I'm in Cape Coral.

Lived here almost my whole life, and there hasn't been a major hurricane yet. Just tropical storms and stuff that dumps a lot of rain, a blustery day, minor flooding, etc. Andrew crossed into the Gulf almost 100 miles south of where I live and I still think that's the worst weather I've seen from a hurricane...winds got up to 45-50, with gusts near hurricane force that far away from the eye.

Charlotte, and yep its been a long while since something serious headed our way, i'm hoping most people are smart by preparing, but it might get ugly :(

tt_deeb

At the time my family and relatives were renting out a huge house on the Outer Banks hurricane Floyd came through. Once it got to us it just remained still for like the rest of the week. Although it ruined the vacation for the most part we had a really fun time the first three days just swimming in the pool during the hurricane and going on the beach (with the bubbles from the ocean all over the place) Also we were letting balloons go into the wind and they just got flung crazy like. It was fun.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I've been through a number of them on the east coast as well as in texas, but I've never lived on the coast for one.

It cracked me up when the last hurricane came though the DC area, the washington post that morning on the front page weather corner said "cloudy, chance of hurricane late"

Belfast

Looks like no matter where I am this weekend, I'm getting some rain. :)

If I'm back in Gainesville, I'm right in the middle. If I stay in Boca, I may not get a direct hit, but most of FL looks like its going to get some rain from this. Worst part about all this is that we are in the middle of a sort short-notice move where my dad has recently gotten a new job. So we're moving to Pensacola. Yay.

tt_deeb

Belfast said:
Looks like no matter where I am this weekend, I'm getting some rain. :)

If I'm back in Gainesville, I'm right in the middle. If I stay in Boca, I may not get a direct hit, but most of FL looks like its going to get some rain from this. Worst part about all this is that we are in the middle of a sort short-notice move where my dad has recently gotten a new job. So we're moving to Pensacola. Yay.

You live pretty close to my grandparents I think. Do you live near Boca Siega bay?

way more

I win, I was in Andrew! My dad checked us into the only hotel he could find, some 5 star resort and my brothers were like sweet, we'll just bowl the whole time. The hotel actually closed everything and we just did everything Doth Togo has on the list. It was crazy driving out after the storm.

Razoric

Banned
I live in Myrtle Beach, SC... I should be seeing both of them hurricanes by Friday/Saturday. Two in a row... fucked up man. :(

Flynn

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for Andrew.

I told my mom to wake me up when it hit, but she didn't and I slept through everything.

marsomega

If you currently go to any grade school, hope to god everything after the storm goes back to normal quickly. I went through Andrew, we started school so late that we didn't get any days off. I mean we got 2 for thanksgiving and 3 for christmass but thats it. It was the longest school year of my damn life. After that every school year went by quick. I mean, absolutely no teacher planning days or 3 day weekends or what not. And the school board was under so much pressure to catch up for the missed days that they were actually planning on having school on saturdays as well as extending school hours. It was the pits..

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hurricane Gloria baby! That shit rocked! Even if we did have to evacuate our house for three days and lost a tree in our yard...

Flynn

My dad's business partner died preparing for a hurricane.

He fell of the roof while taking down an antenna.

Apparently this kind of thing happens quite a bit.

And before you all start freaking out about how old-school antennas are, note that the guy lived in Puerto Rico.

DJ Sl4m

Andrew came right through Baton Rouge La. (where I live) then went back out to open water, and came back further in the gulf on land again.

It may have been Florida I don't really remember, it's been a long time, and after it was gone we were just trying to get electricty and things back to normal.

Andrew was pure hell dude, no power for 7 days, and we were considered lucky.

So many tornado's spun from Andrew it was crazy, totally demolished houses everywhere, and most streets were closed from oak trees lying in them.
Live Oak trees, and if you've seen a full size Live Oak, you know how incredible that is, those things have trucks that can growover 12 feet in diameter.

Claus

Banned
I live in Wellington and was planning on taking a little trip to NC this weekend. Hope this doesn't delay it. :(

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Isabelle last October. It was cool as hell. The trees looked like they were sideways, the sky was a ugly gray, and it rained like someone was spraying a water hose into a fan. The power was out for weeks here. I went to bed right after it calmed down in the wee hours in the morning, woke up to see the sun shining and looked outsde to see trees down all over the place, signs off stores missing, power lines down. We're getting both storms coming this way this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom