• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone's Favorite Bartab Skipping Fiend Attacks Kotaku

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Reading Kotaku this morning, I found a great little post showing off an email Mr Backstabbo at the Cabo wrote to Kotaku after they mocked their EXCLUSIVE GBA MIRCO shots.

I try to reserve the Mail Bag for emails I receive meant for publication, complaints or written by jerk-offs. You figure out which category this one should fit into:

Hi Brian.

We take some exception to this piece:

(Typically snarky Kotaky piece)

We were wondering why you have such an issue with *****, to the point that it clouds you ability to read and comprehend.

“***** just loves the word exclusive. They’re reporting they have exclusive images of the Game Boy Micro. They say they had a chance to * touch * the Micro during their “exclusive” interview with Shigeru Miyamoto (wait, didn’t everyone interview him?), but couldn’t actually play with it. That makes me sad, I had plenty of time to play with a Micro (apparently, exclusively) during my exclusive interview with exclusive Nintendo Diva Beth “Exclusive” Llewelyn at E3. I also spent 15 minutes or so playing Fire Emblem on it during the VIP booth tour.”

The piece mentions that the only time we had chance to look at a unit was during the interview. It was a handy opportunity to plug the interview. And no, everyone didn’t get a Miyamoto interview. We are one of the only online outlets to get this opportunity this year aside from IGN and GameSpot. We didn’t claim that touching the unit was in anyway exclusive, merely that we are the first people to have taken the thing apart and photographed it.

Perhaps your bitterness stems from the fact that we were interviewing
Miyamoto and Iwata while you were being shuffled around by a PR during your VERY IMPORTANT PERSON tour? It’s the only reason for your slant we can some up with here.

Tell you what. I’d really like the opportunity to discuss this with you face to face. Hopefully one day this will be possible.

Best regards,

Stefan Walters.

Does that sound threatish, or is it just me? Let me let the definition of exclusive answer your angry email for me Stefan:

1. A news item initially released to only one publication or broadcaster. 2. An exclusive right or privilege, as to market a product.

One, as in not two or three.

:lol

The best is the "Tell you what. I’d really like the opportunity to discuss this with you face to face. Hopefully one day this will be possible." remark. Like he'd show!

Matlock

Banned
"The drawer beneath the cash register was full of unpaid tabs and letters from all over the world, promising to 'get that tab squared away in the near future.' Vagrant journalists are notorious welshers, and to those who travel in that rootless world, a large unpaid bar tab can be a fashionable burden."
-Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Matlock said:
"The drawer beneath the cash register was full of unpaid tabs and letters from all over the world, promising to 'get that tab squared away in the near future.' Vagrant journalists are notorious welshers, and to those who travel in that rootless world, a large unpaid bar tab can be a fashionable burden."
-Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary
:lol

8bit

Knows the Score
I wonder if he's still bitter that Gizmodo, another of the Gawker sites, got the exclusive with Bill Gates a few months ago?

Vibri

Banned
CO_Andy said:
Folder iz one of the most interesting journalists this industry has ever seen.

If by 'interesting' you mean 'most ridiculed, pathological liar in the global video game industry' then yes, you're right.

TheDiave

Banned
Okay, first off:

arguing.jpg

And second, Kiziko -- formerly Gamerweb -- pretty much ruined the usage of the term exclusive for the rest of the game 'zine community. Superior was another word they abused, but that's a story for another time.

In the land of public domain -- aka the Internet -- exclusive is another way of saying "we put it up first," 'cuz everybody copies everybody nowadays. Why do you think I got the fuck out of doing a game 'zine? a) I got sick of the imaginary pissing contests. b) I got tired of having my PR efforts shot down 'cuz 500 assholes called before me trying to peddle their shitty little Geocities.com website. c) IGN and GameSpot -- the guys with big money -- took the fun out of trying to compete. Period.

Anyway, that's it for my rant.

Top Bottom