• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac possibly got hacked?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think I predicted it would be similar to God of War, so it's not like this is shocking me that much. Still have to wait and see more to have a clue what it's like, but it's definitely a super up close camera like Hellblade.

mutant god of war?

Next gen sad dad?

YmAAEHi.gif

ungalo

Honestly what do you guys expect? Sony have very clear formulas which they stick to. People keep buying the games and critics keep giving them 9s and 10s. I gave up on Sony a while ago. (Literally just sold my PS5/expensive dust collector).
I also gave up in the sense that i don't have high expectations for any of those games. But i think a game like that, if the setting, atmosphere, characters click with you it can still be enjoyable.

Also, eventually people will get tired of it, it can take some time, but if people have the feeling it's getting stale they're going to move on. Especially since the devs don't have a lot of room for enhancing the games visually now.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh boy, share your thoughts, what do you think is going on?

I don’t know but there are so many devs and publishers, what’s happening? Is this like the same exploit being used across studio-network-parent company?

Like why would Insomniac be a target? Asking 2 million for details on the next Wolverine and shit I mean…

I don’t know prior to these Sony/PlayStation problems which dev/pub was targeted or which big leak happened? MS was self inflicted so was it the GTAVI two years or go or more?

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Insomniac_Rhysida_crisq6

https://www.cyberdaily.au/culture/9...omniac-games-hit-by-rhysida-ransomware-attack

Ransomware operator Rhysida has posted limited data that appears to back up its claim that it has successfully hacked video game developer Insomniac Games.

Insomniac is best known for its two award-winning Spider-Man games and is currently developing a title based on Marvel’s Wolverine.

In fact, some details regarding the upcoming Wolverine game may have been included in the hack, as an annotated screenshot from the game appears to be included in the gang’s proof-of-hack data, along with character art that seems to relate to other Marvel characters that may be featured in the game.

Also included are passport scans that appear to belong to Insomniac employees, including at least one ex-employee who now works at Disney after being laid off by the developer two months ago. Another personal document appears to belong to the voice actor who voiced Peter Parker – aka Spider-Man – in the latest release of the game, Yuri Lowenthal.

Other documents featured as proof-of-hack material include internal emails and signed, confidential documents.

The Rhysida gang is saying Insomniac has seven days before the full data set is published but is also currently running an auction on the data, with a starting price of 50 bitcoins, or just over US$2 million.

“With just 7 days on the clock, seize the opportunity to bid on exclusive, unique, and impressive data,” Rhysida said on its leak site.

“Open your wallets and be ready to buy exclusive data. We sell only to one hand, no reselling, you will be the only owner!”
In order to sort out all that shit you need a team, but what the fuck can you even do with that data? Maybe Insomniac has a secret cow simulator and now it all comes to light...

Please, hacker kingpins, LOOT THE BIG DATA for us. Thank you. I want to see what people do and how. That's all. Oh and don't pay.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If it's a God of War 2018 ripoff i'll pass.

It if isn't designed on God of War, it would be one of the weirdest moves of all time. Do you want it to be designed like the new Suicide Squad game? Like what are we talking about?

That would actually get my attention, to be honest.

CAP! Just lies man. You know darn well if this Wolverine game was a turn-based RPG people would kill Insomniac.

In order to sort out all that shit you need a team, but what the fuck can you even do with that data? Maybe Insomniac has a secret cow simulator and now it all comes to light...

Please, hacker kingpins, LOOT THE BIG DATA for us. Thank you. I want to see what people do and how. That's all. Oh and don't pay.
You underestimate the repercussions and value of leaked confidential data.

ungalo

It if isn't designed on God of War, it would be one of the weirdest moves of all time. Do you want it to be designed like the new Suicide Squad game? Like what are we talking about?
I don't know you tell me. An action game is either God of War 2018 or Suicide Squad ? Are you refering to God of War just as a single player game ? If so i want it to be like God of War then ! But it seems to me there are way more subdivisions, design directions to precisely define a game.

You look at God of War 2018, its structure, its pacing, its style of story telling, its gameplay, its camera (not talking about the third person, let's be clear, i'm talking precisely about GoW camera), its mechanics, i don't want Wolverine to be the same, my point was as simple as this.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
You underestimate the repercussions and value of leaked confidential data.
Yeah, there was an interesting impersonation attack against a Sony employee, where they used internal corpo info from a previous hack. There are things like that, but most of the time... it's all about whether you have backup. If you have backup and you should have one, if you are this big, then, wipe the whole thing clean, hire some itsec pros to weed out them from your network, harden things, and back into operation in a few days/weeks. If you have no source code/assets backup, well, then you are fucked. There were instances where the ransom money was paid and the haxors fucked up the recovery key and the company got back nothing and a few million dollars went down the drain...

It all depends on how much work is lost, and what kind of sensitive info they stored and how on their servers.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

It's a perfectly rational take to have. The idea of someone going "IF NOT LIKE GOD OF WAR THEN WHAT? THE SIMS: WOLVERINE?!" is fucking hilarious.

What's more hilarious is someone having any freaking opinion of this game based on two 120x120 screenshots in a hack. Didn't the GTA 6 hacks learn you guys something by now? Just STOP IT! These hacks don't tell us much of anything. Nothing about the quality, feel, animation, context, etc of the game.

So why come to any conclusions at all?

mckmas8808

Ignore those people. They've gotten accustomed to every AAA being streamlined. Considering anything beyond that is foreign to some of them.

Or............some of us are grown-ups and don't hate a game because we find out it's a 3rd person game.

Krathoon

Uh, they are picking the wrong company to mess with because Insomniac has really good programmers that probably know some people.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Fuck these guys. I feel bad for the employees.

As for Wolverine, of course it’s third person. What else would it be? You want first person where you can’t enjoy the suits?

Top Bottom