• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exoprimal New Trailer Revealed. Battle Pass System confirmed | Capcom Showcase 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

Activating massacre module. Summoning Neo T. rex swarm. Demonstrate your exemplary cooperative skill set by working as a team to generate robust combat data. Fight together, or be flagged for mortal sunset. Exoprimal Open Beta 2 begins June 16th, 2023 (UTC). Check the official website for more details.​

QsOTGd4.jpg

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not feeling this at all... battlepass crap made me audibly groan. They could've RE'd a Dino Crisis for probably half the cost and made 3x the profit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The lengthy block of footage they showed in the run-up to the show made it look fun in a goofy way.

Being honest though, I expect it to tank horribly.

Its way too expensive for something so obviously GaaS, lacking any discernible single-player hook.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The lengthy block of footage they showed in the run-up to the show made it look fun in a goofy way.

Being honest though, I expect it to tank horribly.
Even though the news they gave about taking player feedback into consideration and making it more PvE and story focused was the best thing that could happen for the game, I'm also still worried about player retention. Battle pass or not, it does look fun.

Gamepass will do what it can to help alleviate the issue.

I guess I don't mind it being more of a PvE co-op game as that what Lost Planet 2 was, and that game was extremely fun for me and my friends.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Even though the news they gave about taking player feedback into consideration and making it more PvE and story focused was the best thing that could happen for the game, I'm also still worried about player retention. Battle pass or not, it does look fun.

Gamepass will do what it can to help alleviate the issue.

I guess I don't mind it being more of a PvE co-op game as that what Lost Planet 2 was, and that game was extremely fun for me and my friends.

If you offer something that looks like a squad-based TPS you're not selling to a single-player, chances are they have friends that they regularly play with. That being the case you need to sell your thing to the group as a whole. Wacky premises like this or Babylon's Fall are a far tougher sell than a thing that people instantly "get" as a certain style of MP game.

I doubt GamePass will save it, but frankly it'll at least give people a friction-free way of trying it.

If you offer something that looks like a squad-based TPS you're not selling to a single-player, chances are they have friends that they regularly play with. That being the case you need to sell your thing to the group as a whole. Wacky premises like this or Babylon's Fall are a far tougher sell than a thing that people instantly "get" as a certain style of MP game.

I doubt GamePass will save it, but frankly it'll at least give people a friction-free way of trying it.
And this is why I'm hoping people give the second beta a chance. After playing the first beta, I knew that what I was playing was a fun experience and this next beta will be wildly different than the first.

With the first beta, the issue was that at the end of a fun run, the PvP audience would end up being too tryhard and thus they would nullify all of the fun from the other 90% of the match(because you would have no choice but to fight each other at the very end). It was a lesser Overwatch and it just didn't fit. Now that the PvP isn't the focus and they're expanding the game in other ways, including big bosses, it will feel more like a Lost Planet 2 experience which is what a lot of people ultimately wanted. I just hope that the people who gave that feedback and played the first beta will stick around for the second beta and final release.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Toxic game design elements like Overwatch and BP? This should've been retooled to be similar to Lost Planet/2. This is gonna underperform for Capcom. It's a new IP and dinosaurs so I wanted to support but GAAS and team MP element only? I'm good.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It’ll be a dead game quite quickly . Hop on at launch on gamepass, get your fill, and never look back.

This will go the way of Babylons fall with servers taken down within a year.

I'll wait for more info. If there's a Team Death Match style I'm down with that but ANYTHING objective based in a game like this is just suffering.
The info was all there, they made these changes based on player feedback…but I guess if you want to see more, beta 2 will be out soon.

supernova8

Banned
Always wonder why they think they have earned the right to get battle pass money from people for a game that hasn't even fucking come out yet and is basically unproven.

It's like when companies announce new titles (ie totally new franchises) and then also announce DLC available for pre-order - fuck right off!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The Battle Pass has been known for awhile, not a new development.

I think this looks really cool but I'll admit I don't expect it to take off.

It's gotten fairly positive impressions but it feels more like a F2P game that they are charging $60+ for.

Bridges

It's gotten fairly positive impressions but it feels more like a F2P game that they are charging $60+ for.
Yeah I thought the same thing. Releasing a game like this now and not making it F2P feels like it's sending it out to die.

Game Pass was a good call so people might give it a chance, but I would never be able to convince my friends to get this if they weren't already paying the subscription

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
God damn, this looks like it's gonna be Capcom's 1st flop after all the latest nice releases - there's just ZERO hype for it and...rightfully so (kinda), i mean, sure, it's Day1 on Gamepass but a full-priced release otherwise (PS5 etc).

Listen, i'd like to support Capcom since i need a silly pew-pew game to turn my mind off and just shoot at things but, again, not at full price since the game doesn't seem to have any legs, i get the feeling that this will be the next Babylon's Fall/Evolve/Anthem and it's kind of a shame, thing is, between the online only thing, being full price, the battle pass(es), No-Crossplay at launch and the zero hype it feels like it's destined to die after a few months.

This game needed to be F2P/available via sub.services (gamespass/PS Plus) only or, being sold at half the price they're asking for.

Even if it gets decent reviews (this will be a mid 60's - 70 max), it will still be solely supported by the usual "whales" that spend 20-40 bucks on a char. skin for the first few months, only for the game to be on life support after that and then, in a last ditch attempt, Capcom will make it F2P but... it's gonna be too late by then - look at Raiders of the broken planet/Spacelords for example, Mercury steam sold that as a normal priced game in the beginning, only to discount it 3 months after its release, discount it even more after that and then going the full F2P route.

It's not the 1st nor the last time this happened with a game of this type.

Again, i'm getting strong, STRONG Anthem vibes with this one no matter the fact that this is from the same company that has experience with GaaS titles like the Monster Hunter series/Franchise.
Also : We all remember how "Umbrella Corps" fared

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm looking forward to trying it this Friday. I always feel like playing PvE games in the summer before all the fall single player titles start dropping. I missed the betas, but the trailers look pretty bonkers.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm looking forward to trying it this Friday. I always feel like playing PvE games in the summer before all the fall single player titles start dropping. I missed the betas, but the trailers look pretty bonkers.

Welcome back brother !

Unfortunately, I don't think that this will fare well even on Gamepass, it's gonna be the usual 1star reviewed game on the store by the people that play the newly released games for 5-10 minutes and then proceed to shit on it.

I played all the betas and the game is...OK - just that, "OK", it lacks that specific Capcom charm that their games have since :
- there's absolutely no "oomph" to the combat, both with melee characters AND the weapon ones - weapon sounds are weak, there's no "weight" to melee and basically, it feels like you're shooting/hitting cardboard enemies.
- Art direction is fucking shit : some exosuit designs are abysmal and lifted off from games like Owerwatch/Destiny etc, i mean, the one with the flaming skull/head, the loli skate one, the "magician" type that flies, the sniper one that was literally lifted from Destiny and so on so forth.
- Control scheme is shit : the melee builds NEED a different control scheme where you use the face buttons to hit enemies/do combos, as of now, they feel like like you're playing hero shooter No.23256578 where the camera is stuck behind your character and you're using the triggers to melee enemies - this WILL break/wear down joypads/triggers, there's just no way for them not to since you'll be hammering the R2 trigger 54859450665 a minute with all the action going on.

It's a very mediocre game so far (must have put a good 20 hours between all the betas) and in no way is it worth its asking 65 dollars/euro price - even for "free" on GP, people will just play it for a couple of hours just to pass it and go to the next flavour of the month game on the GP list.

I'll have to repeat myself here : unfortunately, this looks like it's been sent to die.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Welcome back brother !

Unfortunately, I don't think that this will fare well even on Gamepass, it's gonna be the usual 1star reviewed game on the store by the people that play the newly released games for 5-10 minutes and then proceed to shit on it.

I played all the betas and the game is...OK - just that, "OK", it lacks that specific Capcom charm that their games have since :
- there's absolutely no "oomph" to the combat, both with melee characters AND the weapon ones.
- Art direction is fucking shit : some exosuit designs are abysmal and lifted off from games like Owerwatch/Destiny etc, i mean, the one with the flaming skull/head, the loli skate one, the "magician" type that flies, the sniper one that was literally lifted from Destiny and so on so forth.
- Control scheme is shit : the melee builds NEED a different control scheme where you use the face buttons to hit enemies/do combos, as of now, they feel like like you're playing hero shooter No.23256578 where the camera is stuck behind your character and you're using the triggers to melee enemies - this WILL break/wear down joypads/triggers, there's just no way for them not to since you'll be hammering the R2 trigger 54859450665 a minute with all the action going on.

It's a very mediocre game so far (must have put a good 20 hours between all the betas) and in no way is it worth its asking 65 dollars/euro price - even for "free" on GP, people will just play it for a couple of hours just to pass it and go to the next flavour of the month game on the GP list.

I'll have to repeat myself here : unfortunately, this looks like it's been sent to die.
Thanks! Good to be back.

You're not wrong. It's definitely a wacky looking game, and I think everyone could tell from the first announcement trailer that it likely was going to struggle in terms of sales. I can't really comment on more of the specifics you're bringing up yet since I haven't tried it or even watched anything in depth yet, but I'll definitely be posting some impressions this weekend.

It looks like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of game. It's like management told them to cynically focus on a multiplayer title with a battlepass. But then the designers just made the most bonkers PS2 era shit they could think of when they weren't looking, with dark goopy t-rexes coming out of portals and raptor rain weather reports and I thought I saw a time traveling giant digital head that looked like something from Power Rangers. I don't have high expectations here lol, but if it's entertaining for even a little bit that's okay with me. Subs are definitely the right approach for this one, but I'm sure it'll likely go on sale as well for people that are waiting.

Welcome back brother !

- there's absolutely no "oomph" to the combat, both with melee characters AND the weapon ones - weapon sounds are weak, there's no "weight" to melee and basically, it feels like you're shooting/hitting cardboard enemies.

I don't doubt everything you're saying(except for the control scheme complaint), I just hope that it can manage well enough on GP until they either develop a F2P model or until the game goes down in price enough to have a decent community. I'm not asking for anything big, but just enough player numbers so that the servers aren't shut down in a month.

If they are shut down, hopefully the single player portion will remain playable offline.

Top Bottom